• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Scotland to debate "assisted dying"

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Scotland could become the first UK nation to provide terminally ill people with assistance to end their lives if a bill being introduced at Holyrood is approved.
Supporters of the legislation say it would ease suffering.
Opponents worry that some terminally ill people could feel under pressure to end their lives.

Personally, I feel it's a positive step and I hope it is approved. It will be opposed in the Scottish Parliament by the first minister and members of the Church of Scotland but dying with dignity is a far better option for those who reach the point in life where they no longer want to live.

Good news!

All countries should allow seriously ill people to request assistance in passing away.

Some seriously ill people simply do not want to continue living under certain conditions (for example, bed-bound 24/7, fed through a tube to the stomach, needing assistance in bodily functions, etc.).

I think that a few American states have such a law.

Scotland could become the first UK nation to provide terminally ill people with assistance to end their lives if a bill being introduced at Holyrood is approved.
Supporters of the legislation say it would ease suffering.
Opponents worry that some terminally ill people could feel under pressure to end their lives.

Personally, I feel it's a positive step and I hope it is approved. It will be opposed in the Scottish Parliament by the first minister and members of the Church of Scotland but dying with dignity is a far better option for those who reach the point in life where they no longer want to live.
I am 100% in favor, but how the law is constructed is a big deal. You have competing interests and values to balance besides just handing over the pills. there are traps to avoid, I recommend Oregon's death with dignity law, as a very good structure. Its been basically scandal free and it's been hanging around longer than any other over on this side of the pond.

Back
Top Bottom