• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Scarface remake coming

First of all, this belongs in Arts and Entertainment forum.
Second of all, why is a remake needed? Is Hollywood that devoid of original ideas?

First of all, this belongs in Arts and Entertainment forum.
Second of all, why is a remake needed? Is Hollywood that devoid of original ideas?

Thanks, Dad. If a Mod wants to move it, they can. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

As far as the other, if you don't care, don't comment and start your own thread about Hollywood's lack of originality.

This is a thread about who would make a good Tony Montana. If you can't contribute, please don't hijack the thread.

Thank you.

For. ****. Sakes. :doh

IS THERE NOTHING HOLY ANYMORE HOLLYWOOD!!!! NOTHING?!?!?!

I was having a debate about this the other day.

Certain films, I really don't mind being remade, I'm a big Star Trek fan, I prefer the Original Cast movies over everything else actually but I enjoyed Abrams take on it.

I think things like Star Trek are an organic Enterprise (excuse my pun) it's flexible enough that I think it's genuinely interesting to see what another vision would have.

Mad Max is another one I think you can play around with and create something new and I wasn't overly enthralled with the latest iteration but it wasn't terrible.

But a film like Scarface... making movies isn't easy, many, many different elements have to come together all at once to make it work and Scarface is very much Al Pacino... There's just no two ways about it, without him, the movie doesn't work, he IS Scarface as we know it, a character simply too iconic to re-cast in a universe that doesn't work without his energy.

1932, 1983...and now 2017/2018?

Sigh.

Certain films, I really don't mind being remade, I'm a big Star Trek fan, I prefer the Original Cast movies over everything else actually but I enjoyed Abrams take on it.

I think things like Star Trek are an organic Enterprise (excuse my pun) it's flexible enough that I think it's genuinely interesting to see what another vision would have.

Mad Max is another one I think you can play around with and create something new and I wasn't overly enthralled with the latest iteration but it wasn't terrible.

But a film like Scarface... making movies isn't easy, many, many different elements have to come together all at once to make it work and Scarface is very much Al Pacino... There's just no two ways about it, without him, the movie doesn't work, he IS Scarface as we know it, a character simply too iconic to re-cast in a universe that doesn't work without his energy.

When it costs in the 10's of millions to make a movie, it is hard to blame studios for being cautious and making movies with built in appeal. In this case, they know the story is compelling so it is relatively safe. It sucks for moviegoers, but I find it hard to blame the studios.

When it costs in the 10's of millions to make a movie, it is hard to blame studios for being cautious and making movies with built in appeal. In this case, they know the story is compelling so it is relatively safe. It sucks for moviegoers, but I find it hard to blame the studios.

Oh absolutely, I've said that on here before.

But this one could bomb... and hard.

Scarface was Scarface only because of Pacino and unlike Star Trek, Star Wars, Mad Max and I dunno... Transformers, Scarface, I feel, for all it's success doesn't really have the malleable appeal to create a remake blockbuster that's gonna make a ****zillion dollars, for those of us who were fans, we're probably not gonna get on board and those who have never heard of "Scarface" probably aren't gonna care much either.

They'll try and modernize it and it'll fail miserably, mark my words.

Speaking of which, Got plans to watch the Attack on Titan movie?

Yes but you could have said the same thing about Al Pacino, as his version was a remake of one made in the 30s. :shrug:

So is anybody going to venture to guess who would make a good Tony Montana, or is this whole thread going to complain about the remake?

It might be good. It might suck. Who knows?

But I'm going to kick and scream and hold my breath until I turn blue in the face until somebody gives me a good Tony Montana.

:sigh:

I don't see a problem with remaking movies if they do a good job, or if the remake is kind of needed, although I can't say I've ever seen one that is really needed.

The new Poltergeist movie was like a stab in the brain with a hot poker. It was not needed. The original was so much better.

Ugh I hate remakes/reboots. Hollywood needs to come up with original materiel. Al Pacino was perfect and Scarface was an iconic role for him, no need to remake it.

I agree, there is only one Scarface and that is Al Pacino. "You wanna play rough? Okay. Say hello to my little friend!"

1) Benicio del Toro - He's perfect, I think. And if they're going for South American importers, he's got the ethnicity.

2) Johnny Depp - But only if he is allowed to get dark & dirty, like his older work; he may be a bit too clean & sanitized with his current audience, but I know he's got the chops to pull it off.

3) Mickey Rourke - He could do it with his eyes closed, and he already played a great meth cook in Spun' - but could a movie-set contain him, and who could direct him, when the character is his real-life natural environment? He'll know more than the director!

Edit:

How could I forget...

4) John Luguziamo - Another guy that's perfect, and I might give him a tie with Del Torio - crazy & loose as a Toulouse goose, and he's also got the South American thing down, if required.

Last edited:

Yes.....yes they are.
How else can one explain so many "Fast and Furious" flicks?

1) Benicio del Toro - He's perfect, I think. And if they're going for South American importers, he's got the ethnicity.

2) Johnny Depp - But only if he is allowed to get dark & dirty, like his older work; he may be a bit too clean & sanitized with his current audience, but I know he's got the chops to pull it off.

3) Mickey Rourke - He could do it with his eyes closed, and he already played a great meth cook in Spun' - but could a movie-set contain him, and who could direct him, when the character is his real-life natural environment? He'll know more than the director!

Edit:

How could I forget...

4) John Luguziamo - Another guy that's perfect, and I might give him a tie with Del Torio - crazy & loose as a Toulouse goose, and he's also got the South American thing down, if required.

you know, i was going to post something about how no one can touch Pacino in this role, and yeah, i still feel that way, but these are some pretty ****ing good suggestions.

Edit:

How could I forget...

Not bad, but I think the first three are too old.
Maybe Leguizamo....he's usually pretty good.
I'm going to give this a lot of thought because of this.......

But I'm going to kick and scream and hold my breath until I turn blue in the face until somebody gives me a good Tony Montana.

:sigh:

As a DP poster, it is my sworn duty to intercede when my fellow posters are in danger of passing out.

kinda hard to pick a new Tony Montana when we don't know the direction the movie is taking in terms of race and background of the immigrant turned drug kingpin.

Christian bale could pull off a good Montana ( white or hispanic)
Ben Foster could pull off a good white kingpin.. maybe of irish descent.
Benecio Del Toro could pull off.. well, anything he wants to... but age might be a factor there.
Tom Hardy might do alright.. but i don't know that he can pull off a hispanic , if that's what the role calls for.

personally, i'd like to see them go with a black kingpin played by Terrence Howard.( phenomenal actor)... but the black drug kingpin thing is kinda played out.. there's no need for a New Jack City 2 dressed up as Scarface 3

I dunno.. I guess my top pick would be Christian Bale..... the dude has skills.

Not bad, but I think the first three are too old.
Maybe Leguizamo....he's usually pretty good.
I'm going to give this a lot of thought because of this.......

As a DP poster, it is my sworn duty to intercede when my fellow posters are in danger of passing out.
Well, we wouldn't want to see the girl go under, would we? That's why I tossed some names out.

The only person I had age concerns with was Mickey Rourke, but I understand where you're coming from - though Johnny Depp always comes off as 'youthful' for his age, to me anyway.

That's why I'm glad I threw John Luguizamo in, after I first posted - he's a natural.

I think he may be the best candidate of the four I mentioned, though I suspect he'd play an even better addict than a dealer!

(Mickey Rourke would probably play the best addict ... because his is one! Saw him on Dr. Drew - he was wild)

kinda hard to pick a new Tony Montana when we don't know the direction the movie is taking in terms of race and background of the immigrant turned drug kingpin.

I thought of Bale, but dismissed him as not a believable immigrant drug dealer.
My bad.
The guy has been believable in every role he's had.
I'm probably biased against him because I've heard he's a d***head.:shrug:

Well, we wouldn't want to see the girl go under, would we? That's why I tossed some names out.
No.....unconscious people lying around is bad for DP's image.
People will think this is Vegas or, worse yet, NYC.

The only person I had age concerns with was Mickey Rourke, but I understand where you're coming from - though Johnny Depp always comes off as 'youthful' for his age, to me anyway.

Good point with Depp.....I'm throwing my vast Hollywood clout behind JD.
Mickey Rourke will be lying around in Vegas if Johnny turns the role down.

I thought of Bale, but dismissed him as not a believable immigrant drug dealer.
My bad.
The guy has been believable in every role he's had.
I'm probably biased against him because I've heard he's a d***head.:shrug:
I've heard the same, and it's probably true... but i try not to color my analysis of a actor/actress by their personal quirks such as temperament or politics, or whatever....I'd probably hate all of their work if I judged them that way.:lamo

some of my favorite actors are also some people I utterly dislike as human beings (Christian Bale,Sean Penn,Marlon Brando,Mel Gibson)....some of those that I really like as people are kinda craptastic actors,(Bruce Willis,Dwayne Johnson,Keanu Reeves, Ben affleck)

some of my favorite actors are also some people I utterly dislike as human beings (Christian Bale,Sean Penn,Marlon Brando,Mel Gibson)

Man.....I'd like to smack that Sean Penn around..........don't get me started.....

some of those that I really like as people are kinda craptastic actors,(Bruce Willis,Dwayne Johnson,Keanu Reeves, Ben affleck)

Mostly action-hero types.
Willis was great in "The Sixth Sense".
Affleck is OK.
Johnson has that I'm-Gonna-Fight-Thru-This-S**-And-Save-The-Day schtick down pat.
I cannot believe Keanu Reeves gets any roles at all.....very wooden guy. I know someone who's friends with Reeves and confirms that Reeves is a very nice man.

*sigh*

Why would they do this? It's sacrilegious.

Can't improve on perfection.

Some good ideas thrown around here, but nothing I'd put my finger on as a great pick.

The problem is that there aren't a ton of Hispanic actors that are young. The great ones are all older. Jimmy Smits, Benecio Del Toro, Andy Garcia. I even like David Zayas (he played Angel in Dexter) but Tony Montana's character was young, and thin, and hungry (at least at the beginning). We need someone like that.

Oh, and while I appreciate Mickey Rourke's body of work, the guy's face is just too jacked up now from plastic surgery. It's hard to take him seriously as anything.

Christian bale could pull off a good Montana ( white or hispanic)
Ben Foster could pull off a good white kingpin.. maybe of irish descent.
Benecio Del Toro could pull off.. well, anything he wants to... but age might be a factor there.
Tom Hardy might do alright.. but i don't know that he can pull off a hispanic , if that's what the role calls for.

personally, i'd like to see them go with a black kingpin played by Terrence Howard.( phenomenal actor)... but the black drug kingpin thing is kinda played out.. there's no need for a New Jack City 2 dressed up as Scarface 3

Bale has very limited range. And Terence Howard? Seems a little too feminine to me.

Bale has very limited range. And Terence Howard? Seems a little too feminine to me.

Nah, he needs to look more Cuban. And I've heard Terence Howard is extremely hard to work with. It's why he wasn't in any of the other Iron Man movies.

Back
Top Bottom