• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sat March 23 - Scheduled Maintenance

What:
Maintenance on one of our hard drives.

When:
Saturday, March 23 starting at 7:30am CST.

Downtime:
Goal is less than 8 hours.
I’d be curious the details as an intellectual curiosity e.g. drive failed in array vs. storage expansion vs. electoral fraud evidence needing to be archived by the Ninjas :)

I’d be curious the details as an intellectual curiosity e.g. drive failed in array vs. storage expansion vs. electoral fraud evidence needing to be archived by the Ninjas :)
Sure, we will be 100% transparent after maintenance. :)

Sure, we will be 100% transparent after maintenance. :)
But of course :)

That said, I always value “lessons learned” commentary regarding any complex system. It’s the primary method from which we engineer more robust systems. So, if/when you can share, it would be valued.

Wait... this site is sitting on an actual server?? It is not hosted on a cloud server?
Wow... so very... 1990.
I think it's adorable when people think "cloud" in this context means something ethereal that doesn't involve or require servers, storage arrays, racks of networking gear etc.

Yeah that would be funny. Who thinks that?
I read through and didn't see anyone who thought that?
Most didn't. It was just this one person who goes by @iamwhatiseem who alleged that "cloud" computing was something other than actual physical server or servers. I didn't think it was funny, but I did think it was adorable.

Most didn't. It was just this one person who goes by @iamwhatiseem who alleged that "cloud" computing was something other than actual physical server or servers. I didn't think it was funny, but I did think it was adorable.
That is not what I said.
I find it interesting that this site is sitting on a single server. That is very 1990.
Most forums are hosted by cloud servers that have obvious continuous replication to ensure constant uptime.
Maybe I am wrong that some forums are still hosted by a single server, but I would be surprised by that.

That is not what I said.
I find it interesting that this site is sitting on a single server. That is very 1990.
Most forums are hosted by cloud servers that have obvious continuous replication to ensure constant uptime.
Maybe I am wrong that some forums are still hosted by a single server, but I would be surprised by that.
Why do you believe that this site is running on a single server? Not to say that it isn't - it's actually a good question - but downtime can be due to a multiplicity of issues e.g. "I need to replace some failed hardware in my high availability farm and while I'm at it I'm going to take care of some other things as well, justifying downtime."

Jumping straight to "very 1990" accuations on a fairly high traffic site such as this, that seems to experience relatively low downtime, feels like a stretch on your part.

Last edited:
Why do you believe that this site is running on a single server? Not to say that it isn't - it's actually a good question - but downtime can be due to a multiplicity of issues e.g. "I need to replace some failed hardware in my high availability farm and while I'm at it I'm going to take care of some other things as well, justifying downtime."
Switching out a HD that takes 8 hours is most definitely a single server.
I was a sys admin that included over 50 servers in the 90s up to 2001.
I can and have built servers. Cloud servers have numerous drives where constant replication takes place across a battery of HDs. You can even swap them out without shutting the server down as long as it supports hot swapping.

You are making way too much out of this.

That is not what I said.
You're right and that setup can get very expensive, very fast. For now, we have a dedicated server that is managed.

If we were just starting, we would def have a cloud based solution like you are referring.

If we could get a cloud based solution that would fit well and within our budget, we would jump in a heartbeat.

You're right and that setup can get very expensive, very fast. For now, we have a dedicated server that is managed.

If we were just starting, we would def have a cloud based solution like you are referring.

If we could get a cloud based solution that would fit well and within our budget, we would jump in a heartbeat.
Any chance you could share quoted (or budgetary) costs for single server versus a high availability solution?

Oof - yeah $290 a month is not going to get you much with hosting.
Heck our itty bitty storefront cost us $340/month and it requires very little bandwidth.

Looks like I have a project while waiting on a project tomorrow. :geek:

Our budget is $290 a month.
Maybe we should do what Biden is doing to get more donors. I think the budget should be bigger. I have no idea what it currently covers, but if we had more money we could do whatever it is guys want to do with the server and still have money leftover for snacks.

Maybe we should do what Biden is doing to get more donors. I think the budget should be bigger. I have no idea what it currently covers, but if we had more money we could do whatever it is guys want to do with the server and still have money leftover for snacks.
You get a car....you get a car....we all get a car!

I like it. :)

I think it's adorable when people think "cloud" in this context means something ethereal that doesn't involve or require servers, storage arrays, racks of networking gear etc.
🤭

That is not what I said.
Don't knock Schweddy's DP. He has kept it free of ads and free to use for 20 years, and somehow keeps it from being the Wild West. He upgraded the software a couple years ago and it's much improved. So don't be snobby.

Back
Top Bottom