• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sarah Palin thinks Bill Nye isn't a real scientist[W:260]

Re: Sarah Palin thinks Bill Nye isn't a real scientist

That is your opinion. He may just have a BS in mechanical engineering but that does not mean he is not a scientist. He developed a hydraulic pressure resonance suppressor for the Boeing 747, worked as a consultant in the aeronautics industry, assisted in the development of a small sundail on the mars rover program known as the MarsDial. Has 2 patents and a boatload of honorary doctorates in science, among others from John's Hopkins and Rutgers.

You almost sound like Sheldon when he says that Howard is not a scientist because he has a doctorate in engineering. Bill Nye is the science guy and a whole lot of people think he is a scientist based on his degree, his work and his doctorates (all be it honorary).
Yes, a whole lot of people do think he's a scientist and he has the honorary degrees to prove it. This 'scientist' will also have you fined or jailed if you disagree with his theories.

I have a M.S. (Masters in Science) in Industrial and labor relations/labor Law

I Don't consider myself a scientist for that reason.

My late father had a BS in metallurgical engineering. He considered himself an engineer not a scientist.

BTW I also have a BA and I certainly am no Artist!

I am just going by what the dictionary says. And the dictionary(s) says Bill is a scientist.

The definition I quoted says that one has to also have a 'job involves doing scientific research or solving scientific problems'.

Which he also does/did.

So,according to the definition of a scientist, he is one.

And, Sarah Palin has none of those qualifications.

So, there is no way she is as much of a scientist as he is.

Again, according to the definition of 'scientist'.

I am sure all the Sarah Palin lovers will come screaming out of the woodwork to defend her.

I have better things to do (not saying you are doing that).

If anyone else is reading this and has a problem with the facts/definitions...take it up with the people that write the dictionary.

The definition of scientist could be 'a plumb' for all I care.

Good day.

Last edited:

I am just going by what the dictionary says. And the dictionary(s) says Bill is a scientist.

The definition I quoted says that one has to also have a 'job involves doing scientific research or solving scientific problems'.

Which he also does/did.

I am sure all the Sarah Palin lovers will come screaming out of the woodwork to defend her.

If anyone else is reading this and has a problem with the facts/definitions...take it up with the people that write the dictionary.

Good day.

I wonder if a scientist will examine what causes the fixation on a has been politician whose relevance is at best-limited now

Which he also does/did.

Good day.

But his science doesn't fit their politics. Which is all that matters.

You think too much attention is given to Palin, yet you are very active in this thread. Strange combination.

I wonder if a scientist will examine what causes the fixation on a has been politician whose relevance is at best-limited now

She is going around as a surrogate stumping for Trump. Therefore, she is a current political figure.

I've found about 98 percent of those calling her irrelevant are conservatives wishing she would stop making them look bad.

She is going around as a surrogate stumping for Trump. Therefore, she is a current political figure.

I've found about 98 percent of those calling her irrelevant are conservatives wishing she would stop making them look bad.
I find that 98% of those starting threads about her are worried that she really is much smarter than they are.

Do you believe we should call Bill Nye a scientist even though he is not an actual scientist? Well why stop there? We can call you Ambassador to the United Nations if you want. You can enjoy all the prestige without ever having to take any of those boring courses. You can be an architect too if you prefer, or a biologist.

Just another example of the tolerance the leftists demand.

But he is a scientist. I just gave you his CV, and the OED definition.

You're not real good with science, are you?

You think too much attention is given to Palin, yet you are very active in this thread. Strange combination.
It's not Palin who interest me, it's the leftists who continually attack her and will lie and obfuscate to support their POV. I don't care for leftist obsession, their clear hatreds, no matter who is the topic.

It's not Palin who interest me, it's the leftists who continually attack her and will lie and obfuscate to support their POV. I don't care for leftist obsession, their clear hatreds, no matter who is the topic.

Right. I'd sooner believe You can see Russia from her house. Or that she said it.

I find that 98% of those starting threads about her are worried that she really is much smarter than they are.

Must have come close to the truth. That should be dingable.

Must have come close to the truth. That should be dingable.

I couldn't care less about Palin. I just find the fixation over her to be say-like the fixation on Rush. Oh BTW both of those two are much smarter than the average voter, the average DNC delegate and the average poster on just about any politics board

when she first came to the public's attention during the 08 campaign it seemed the thing that really agitated the leftists is the same thing that caused them to hate say Clarence Thomas or Dr. Condi Rice. attractive younger women are presumed by liberals to be just like blacks-liberal, and those who are not are seen as "gender" or "race" traitors

Her statement was:

“Bill Nye is as much a scientist as I am,” Palin said at an event in Washington, D.C., according to The Hill. “He’s a kids’ show actor; he’s not a scientist.”

I posted his CV. He's been on the board of granting institutions. He has patents to his name. He's served as a professsor at Cornell, educating college students on scientific topics.

I'm pretty sure that makes the quote about as false as it can get, but as the OP pointed out, pathetic defenses will not quit, will they!

But sadly, no peer reviewed journal publications. I guess that makes him an Anthony Watts wannabe.

when she first came to the public's attention during the 08 campaign it seemed the thing that really agitated the leftists is the same thing that caused them to hate say Clarence Thomas or Dr. Condi Rice. attractive younger women are presumed by liberals to be just like blacks-liberal, and those who are not are seen as "gender" or "race" traitors

I actually rather like Secretary Rice.

I couldn't care less about Palin. I just find the fixation over her to be say-like the fixation on Rush. Oh BTW both of those two are much smarter than the average voter, the average DNC delegate and the average poster on just about any politics board

Well you are very average.

Yes, she broke the rules. Being a Republican is already enough for most of the left to hate her. Then she is a woman, strike two. Then, of course, what really gets under their skin is her popularity. She drew huge crowds on the campaign trail, and they just couldn't stand it.

But, these are just morons that think she said things that were really said by Tina Fey and even Barack Obama. Not really dealing with intellectual giants.

As a scientist, I can unequivocally say that Bill Nye is a scientist ( I'm about three weeks away from a BS in microbiology and about 4 months from starting a PhD in the same) This whole debate is an idiotic exercise in discrediting a man who has a degree in mechanical engineering which isn't achieved without being well learned in the sciences ( i.e., scientist) That's what it means to be a scientist: to apply the scientific method to something, which he did (at Boeing) and still continues to do. Sarah Palin is an idiot who couldn't hope to have the scientific chops that Bill Nye has

As a scientist, I can unequivocally say that Bill Nye is a scientist ( I'm about three weeks away from a BS in microbiology and about 4 months from starting a PhD in the same) This whole debate is an idiotic exercise in discrediting a man who has a degree in mechanical engineering which isn't achieved without being well learned in the sciences ( i.e., scientist) That's what it means to be a scientist: to apply the scientific method to something, which he did (at Boeing) and still continues to do. Sarah Palin is an idiot who couldn't hope to have the scientific chops that Bill Nye has

Until the bolded statement, you were batting 1000. Like it or not, Palin is no idiot. Does she say stupid stuff? sure, and its accentuated by people who hate her politics and twist her comments. I suspect on a raw IQ test she is well ahead of Joe Biden

Until the bolded statement, you were batting 1000. Like it or not, Palin is no idiot. Does she say stupid stuff? sure, and its accentuated by people who hate her politics and twist her comments. I suspect on a raw IQ test she is well ahead of Joe Biden

Apologies, as far as politics go, she is no idiot and far from it. But as far as scientific intelligence goes, she's pretty stupid, hence the criticism she deserves when insulting my hero Bill Nye

Apologies, as far as politics go, she is no idiot and far from it. But as far as scientific intelligence goes, she's pretty stupid, hence the criticism she deserves when insulting my hero Bill Nye

bill Nye is your hero?

I need some time to ponder this stunning revelation. I'll bet back to you in a day or two :mrgreen:

bill Nye is your hero?

I need some time to ponder this stunning revelation. I'll bet back to you in a day or two :mrgreen:

Absolutely, a hero (not singular). He (along with Neil Degrasse Tyson) inspired a ton of kids to peruse the sciences and we're alot better off for it.

Back
Top Bottom