• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sarah Palin did NOT say "I can see Russia from my house."

No... What's amazing is you calling what Palin actually said in that interview "fatuous". She made a statement of absolute fact when discussing our relations with Russia, and there was nothing at fatuous about it.

well, obviously, we disagree.

and i have a certain degree of geography on my side.

the Bering Strait is 50 miles wide. Do you know how far one can see to the horizon? just under 3 miles. Of course, out there in the middle of the Strait are the two Diomedes Islands, one of which belongs to Russia, the other to the U.S. You can see Big D from Little D... of course, you can also see into yesterday (or tomorrow, depending on which Island you are chilling yer blains on) in as the IDL runs right between the two and THAT makes as much sense as saying you can see from Alaska to Russia.

still think you can see Russia from Alaska? well, of course, climb the Cascades and you might see the top of mountains in Russia. meaningful, innit?

but,,, the fact that you cannot actually see Russia from any populated place in the Continental U.S. is not what makes the statement fatuous - even if you COULD really see from Alaska to Russia... how in hell does that qualify m. Palin to the Vice Presidency? In what way does that identify her as a expert in U.S./Soviet affairs? If it did, it would make EVERY resident of Alaska such an expert.

on further consideration, "fatuous" is simply not strong enough a word - 'asinine' is far more le mot juste.

geo.

Do you think it is POSSIBLE...that MAYBE the message intended had something to do with the fact that Alaskan governors regularly have to have dealings with Russia (specifically Eastern Russia) on trade, fishing rights, etc and that what she gave was a poorly executed answer to the question posed about her foriegn policy experience?

Again...not a fan. I just think all the people that are so completely bunged up over Palin are kinda more jokey than maybe she is...

Do you think it is POSSIBLE...that MAYBE the message intended had something to do with the fact that Alaskan governors regularly have to have dealings with Russia (specifically Eastern Russia) on trade, fishing rights, etc and that what she gave was a poorly executed answer to the question posed about her foriegn policy experience?Again...not a fan. I just think all the people that are so completely bunged up over Palin are kinda more jokey than maybe she is...

Then the question and answer that is required is

Did Palin actually deal with any of the above bolded items?

I believe she never travelled to Russia to discuss the above issues, perhaps Russian delegations made the trips to Alaska to see Palin, but I do not recall any reports stating that such things occured

I learned in elementary school in the state of Maryland that you could see the Soviet Union from parts of Alaska. Isn't it interesting that that information is now considered to be "fatuous"... Maybe that was BS information though, since the public school system in Maryland, just as in most places, is run by a bunch of liberal revisionists that thrive on fatuous information.

I learned in elementary school in the state of Maryland that you could see the Soviet Union from parts of Alaska. Isn't it interesting that that information is now considered to be "fatuous"... Maybe that was BS information though, since the public school system in Maryland, just as in most places, is run by a bunch of liberal revisionists that thrive on fatuous information.

There is I believe one or two islands that belong to Alaska that you could see Russia from. I doubt Palin visited the islands before her statement

and i have a certain degree of geography on my side.

the Bering Strait is 50 miles wide. Do you know how far one can see to the horizon? just under 3 miles.
The elevation of Eastern Siberia is well above sea level (not to mention the island Palin referenced), so whether or not the horizon is visible past 3 miles is wholly irrelevant.

I'll stack her answers up against dumb ass Joe Biden's any day.

I see them as almost equal actually. At least Biden didnt lose the 2008 election for McCain. :doh
I think BOTH suck though. I cant believe they arent selling used cars somewhere.

I'll stack her answers up against dumb ass Joe Biden's any day.
There's not much stacking to do... I don't think Gibson bothered to interview Biden, and his interview with Obama sure didn't delve into foreign policy issues.

I see them as almost equal actually. At least Biden didnt lose the 2008 election for McCain. :doh
I think BOTH suck though. I cant believe they arent selling used cars somewhere.
Yeah, yeah, you're an equal opportunity hater. I only see you really rail against one side, though so...whatever.

from Vance Mack

WHen I first hear about Sarah Palin it was about a year before the election and they were discussing potential vice presidents. Palin was mentioned...but there wasnt a great deal of detail.

My first experience about Palin was about a week before the GOP convention when her name was floated as a possibility. I went to Wikipedia and read about her. Then a couple libertarians on another site kept extolling her virtues as a small govt person. The day or two before she was announced as the choice I went back to Wikipedia to verify a point I had read the week before and it looked like a Hollywood script writer had completely doctored up the page. The difference was startling and rather obvious to anyone who had read it previously. They had worked in several homey stories that came right out of a Frank Capra movie including how her and Todd eloped and had to go to a senior citizens home for witnesses. It was NOT the sort of info in a politoco's bio or list of achievements.

Right there I said to myself that something very strange was about to happen. And the strangeness has not stopped to this day. In fact, it only gets stranger.

But that IS kind of the point, isnt it. We have oodles of noodles of people on ths site creating their hate threads regularly attacking Sarah Palin. So it would make sense that those same individuals that see her, a 2 year governor, and him a senator (since...what..1973?) as pretty much the same would also be regularly pointing out his stupidity. but they dont. Just like they reserve their upset at the federal government only for republicans (and yes...those same oodles have their counterparts that solely target dems).

All rather silly, dont you think?

Then the question and answer that is required is

Did Palin actually deal with any of the above bolded items?

I believe she never travelled to Russia to discuss the above issues, perhaps Russian delegations made the trips to Alaska to see Palin, but I do not recall any reports stating that such things occured

And that is something anyones little fingers could figure out if they bothered doing a Google or Wikipedia search on the trade and commerce relations of Alaska and Russia. But since I cant see Alaska from my house and have my own reasons for thinking Palin is not presidential timber, I'll leave that tho others to look up and then present their findings as if they knew the answers all along...

There is I believe one or two islands that belong to Alaska that you could see Russia from. I doubt Palin visited the islands before her statement

She never said that SHE could see Russia, she merely said Russia was a neighbor and could be seen from parts of Alaska.

Can't you people fkng read?

She never said that SHE could see Russia, she merely said Russia was a neighbor and could be seen from parts of Alaska.

Grim, they don't care. They didn't look at the vids I posted, they didnt read the poll I posted, they took what they thought she said (or what MM said she did) and ran with it.

It's those people that aren't worth a dog terds second of my time.

Grim, they don't care. They didn't look at the vids I posted, they didnt read the poll I posted, they took what they thought she said (or what MM said she did) and ran with it.

It's those people that aren't worth a dog terds second of my time.

So what your saying is, the left is content both embracing lies, as well as spreading those lies, because political loyalty is far more important to them honesty and truth...

When you're right, you're right... Thanks.

So what your saying is, the left is content both embracing lies, as well as spreading those lies, because political loyalty is far more important to them honesty and truth...

When you're right, you're right... Thanks.

Oh yeah, it's JUST THE LEFT that does it.

Can anybody say 200 million dollars a day?

Do you think it is POSSIBLE...that MAYBE the message intended had something to do with the fact that Alaskan governors regularly have to have dealings with Russia (specifically Eastern Russia) on trade, fishing rights, etc and that what she gave was a poorly executed answer to the question posed about her foriegn policy experience?

well, no, as a matter of fact. state governors do not negotiate trade or fishing rights in national coastal waters or anything else with foreign powers. she never had anything to do with the russian government.

geo.

Last edited:
the public school system in Maryland, just as in most places, is run by a bunch of liberal revisionists that thrive on fatuous information.

well, i cannot account for the quality of your education. actually, it is a pretty cool myth. but it is a myth.

geo.

no... she used the MYTH that Russia was visible from the Alaska as a means of attempting to answer a question regarding her foeign policy experience. a completely meaningless way of sidestepping the question in order to avoid admitting that she had NO foreign policy experience or knowledge.

geo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom