• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rush demands Rush Limbaugh stop using their music on his show

Sure, that line should be against misogyny of any kind, no matter who . . . amiright?

If you think Maher doesn't have any influence, well . . .

And if you still think he's just a comedian, well . . .

If you've never watched it, then perhaps you should not be so quick to draw distinctions.

Just keep in mind, you guys are all setting a precedent by defending Rush. Everyone is now fair game. You don't have to be famous. You don't have to be a politician. If you say something the other party disagrees with, you are fair game.

Just keep in mind, you guys are all setting a precedent by defending Rush. Everyone is now fair game. You don't have to be famous. You don't have to be a politician. If you say something the other party disagrees with, you are fair game.

Who's defending Rush? I'm not. Have you even read a single post I made?

If you follow my rule:

Sure, that line should be against misogyny of any kind, no matter who . . . amiright?

No one's "fair game." It's YOU who want to make it OK for some but not for others.

And I am pretty sure Rush can use short pieces of band's songs without permission, and he will continue to do so.

No he can't. Even if he pays royalties (which he should be doing whatever music he uses), the performances of those songs are owned by the band and the record label. If nothing else, Geddy Lee's voice is owned by Geddy Lee.

The legal precedent was when the Beatles sued Nike for using the song "Revolution" in an ad. Technically, the song was owned by Michael Jackson, but the Beatles' suit was based on the fact that the singing voices of John Lennon and Paul McCartney were the property of Lennon and McCartney respectively, and Nike did not have their consent to use their property.

Same principle applies here. If Geddy Lee does not consent to his voice being used by Rush Limbaugh, then Limbaugh has no right to use it.

Has anyone who can actually stomach listening to his show reported back yet?

Has the large one played RUSH or Peter Gabriel?

No he can't. Even if he pays royalties (which he should be doing whatever music he uses), the performances of those songs are owned by the band and the record label. If nothing else, Geddy Lee's voice is owned by Geddy Lee.

The legal precedent was when the Beatles sued Nike for using the song "Revolution" in an ad. Technically, the song was owned by Michael Jackson, but the Beatles' suit was based on the fact that the singing voices of John Lennon and Paul McCartney were the property of Lennon and McCartney respectively, and Nike did not have their consent to use their property.

Same principle applies here. If Geddy Lee does not consent to his voice being used by Rush Limbaugh, then Limbaugh has no right to use it.

Here is a Rolling Stone article on the subject: Can Rush, Peter Gabriel Legally Order Limbaugh to Cease Using Their Songs? | Music News | Rolling Stone

[h=5]Rush demands Rush Limbaugh stop using their music on his show[/h]

I'm a huge fan of the rock group RUSH. Like most RUSH fans, I consider their music the soundtrack to my life.

Go ahead, get it over with... I've been taking crap for liking RUSH since I was 13, so yeah, yeah... Geddy sings like a... blah, blah, blah...

Anyway, I had no idea this was going on, Limbaugh using their music for show bumpers, but I'm glad their lawyers put a stop to it.

I know some conservative RUSH fans believe RUSHs music and Ayn Rand themes in 2112 and Anthem speak to them. Cool. It's all good when we're talking about Dirk, Lerxst, and Pratt. They are proud Canadians and very generous philanthropers. (although Peart lives in L.A. now).

The Spirit of Radio is about the uplifting and transformative effect of music, as heard through FM radio. Totally inappropriate for and unrelated to AM talk radio. It was a huge breakthrough song, and while it was the first RUSH tune to get major air play all over the U.S., it actually condemns the commercialization of FM music programming, "glittering prizes and endless compromises, shatter the illusion of integrity..."

Re: Bravado, I imagine Limbaugh never listened to the lyrics. He just like the title.
Rush is officially the least straight band of all time - I'd even rather listen to Miley Cyrus than any one of their awful songs. Limbaugh's too good for em anyway. Should have used some real music to begin with, instead of using "Rush" just because they share his name.

Well, it would make for an interesting case. In the Beatles case, the record company also objected to the use of the recording. Of course, it was Apple Records which was basically the Beatles.

If the artists involved had the support of their record companies, that makes it tougher for Limbaugh to use the recordings against the wished of those who own the recordings. It wouldn't be a slam dunk case either way, especially if the artists made the point about ownership of their own voice. If it went to a lawsuit, it would likely be settled out of court.

Rush is officially the least straight band of all time - I'd even rather listen to Miley

That's like saying, 'Race cars are the slowest cars, I'd rather drive an old farm tractor when I want to get somewhere.'

In other words, what you said sounds stupid and makes no sense.

That's like saying, 'Race cars are the slowest cars, I'd rather drive an old farm tractor when I want to get somewhere.'

In other words, what you said sounds stupid and makes no sense.
A little harsh (comparing them to Miley Cyrus) but they're one of the most overrated bands of all time.

They try to sound deep but their lyrics are mostly gibberish, and the lead singer sounds like he inhaled a mouthful of helium.

Plus if they're going to demand that Limbaugh stop playing their music, just for them to make a statement, then they're yet another group of petty self-righteous liberals who'd probably have no problem with Bill Maher playing their music on his show, despite him making rape jokes about Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann.

A little harsh (comparing them to Miley Cyrus) but they're one of the most UNDERrated bands of all time.

Corrected for accuracy.

To call RUSH overrated is the most ignorant of all your statements. Seriously, you just revealed you basically don't even know who or what RUSH the band is.

Go rent the movie: Beyond The Lighted Stage. And learn about integrity, musicianship, overcoming personal tragedy, asinine and ignorant critics, and the band that outlasted all the rest. RUSH.

Corrected for accuracy.

To call RUSH overrated is the most ignorant of all your statements. Seriously, you just revealed you basically don't even know who or what RUSH the band is.

Go rent the movie: Beyond The Lighted Stage. And learn about integrity, musicianship, overcoming personal tragedy, asinine and ignorant critics, and the band that outlasted all the rest. RUSH.

I wan't much of a Rush fan until a radio station I listen to started to play a lot of their music. I am still not a major fan, nor I doubt that I will ever be, but I can certainly appreciate the talent they possess. Few can play the bass and drums like Lee and Peart. Closer to the Heart and The Spirit of Radio and classic songs.

Last edited:
I wan't much of a Rush fan until a radio station I listen to started to play a lot of their music. I am still not a major fan, nor I doubt that I will ever be, but I can certainly appreciate the talent they possess. Few can play the bass and drums like Lee and Peart. Closer to the Heart and The Spirit of Radio and classic songs.
I agree that Neal Peart is a good drummer, but their actual songs are barely listenable - basically just elevator music.

I agree that Neal Peart is a good drummer, but their actual songs are barely listenable - basically just elevator music.

I want to ride on that elevator!!

And your statement that the drumming is 'good' but you can 'barely' listen to the songs is a moronic statement--makes no sense....

...if you can "barely" hear the music, crank the volume nob up to 11, duh.

BTW, among drummers, you know, those people who have a valid opinion on drumming chops, The Professor is considered the greatest living rock drummer. He is always a featured drummer at the Buddy Rich memorial shows.

He's not a 'good' drummer. He's one of the greatest.

Keith Moon and John Bonham lived selfishly, robbing the world of their talent. I love their music, but I don't respect their lifestyles of excess.

Check out the documentary on Ginger Baker, he's out of his flippin' mind crazy. No body can stand that guy.

But Peart lives a life of purpose, to improve a musician, and write relevant songs that inspire his audience. 20 STUDIO ALBUMS. Can you even imagine what dedication that takes after 30 years?

Last edited:
Corrected for accuracy.

I, personally, don't give a ****. They're style of music is not my style, and personally, I think they're ****ty, but again, that's entirely my taste in music, I really don't care how "tragic" or "emo" they are.

A little harsh (comparing them to Miley Cyrus) but they're one of the most overrated bands of all time.

They try to sound deep but their lyrics are mostly gibberish, and the lead singer sounds like he inhaled a mouthful of helium.

Plus if they're going to demand that Limbaugh stop playing their music, just for them to make a statement, then they're yet another group of petty self-righteous liberals who'd probably have no problem with Bill Maher playing their music on his show, despite him making rape jokes about Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann.

Hey, there's always Ted "I crapped my pants at my military physical so I wouldn't have to go to Vietnam' Nugent. I think his politics is pretty much in line with the bulbous toad Limbaugh.

[h=5]Rush demands Rush Limbaugh stop using their music on his show[/h]

I'm a huge fan of the rock group RUSH. Like most RUSH fans, I consider their music the soundtrack to my life.

Go ahead, get it over with... I've been taking crap for liking RUSH since I was 13, so yeah, yeah... Geddy sings like a... blah, blah, blah...

Anyway, I had no idea this was going on, Limbaugh using their music for show bumpers, but I'm glad their lawyers put a stop to it.

I know some conservative RUSH fans believe RUSHs music and Ayn Rand themes in 2112 and Anthem speak to them. Cool. It's all good when we're talking about Dirk, Lerxst, and Pratt. They are proud Canadians and very generous philanthropers. (although Peart lives in L.A. now).

The Spirit of Radio is about the uplifting and transformative effect of music, as heard through FM radio. Totally inappropriate for and unrelated to AM talk radio. It was a huge breakthrough song, and while it was the first RUSH tune to get major air play all over the U.S., it actually condemns the commercialization of FM music programming, "glittering prizes and endless compromises, shatter the illusion of integrity..."

Re: Bravado, I imagine Limbaugh never listened to the lyrics. He just like the title.

I'm guessing Limbaugh was paying the band to use their music, right? You can't just use music without compensation to the band, right? Well unless they wanted the exposure and let him have if for free. :cool:

My city was gone, is by the Pretenders.

wow, like half the topics on here are about Rush Limbaugh

Last edited:
Man alive, Rush must be the happiest man on the planet with all this attention. I'd like to see his ratings now compared to two weeks ago.

BRAKING NEWS! Limbaugh's theme song remains unchanged.

Hey, there's always Ted "I crapped my pants at my military physical so I wouldn't have to go to Vietnam' Nugent. I think his politics is pretty much in line with the bulbous toad Limbaugh.

Which military service did Obama serve in?

Hey folks, just checking in....has Limbaugh changed his theme-song yet?

No?

Ok, have a good day :2wave:

Hello everyone :)

Rush has't changed hos themesong. Just thought you'de like to know.

Have a good one :)

Back
Top Bottom