• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Rubio in letter to Obama: You are turning America into a 'deadbeat nation'

Eighty Deuce

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Looks like Rubio is warming up his jets as a likely GOP VP candidate.

Rubio went on to pledge that he would challenge any further increase in the debt ceiling, arguing that "we [Congress] need to make it routine to actually spend no more than we take in." In the letter obtained by HUMAN EVENTS, the Florida Senator said that President Obama’s upcoming request to increase the debt ceiling by a whopping $1.2 trillion will cause the nation’s public debt to surpass the $16 trillion mark.
"I will oppose your request to continue borrowing and spending recklessly."

President Obama is expected to request the new borrowing power from Congress once the Senate and House return from their holiday recess.

The president must notify Congress when the debt closes within $100 billion of the ceiling, according to the Budget Control Act passed in August. This triggers for Congress their only available option to block an increase, in this case $1.2 trillion, by passing legislation. However, even if the House and Senate do that, the president can still veto their objections. In short, there is very little Republicans can do in a Democratic-controlled Senate to block an increase.
If President Obama led the charge to reduce the country’s unsustainable debt in mid 2011 rather than punt the enterprise to a "Super Committee," asserted Rubio, we’d already be on a pathway toward economic growth and prosperity. "Unfortunately, the first three years of your presidency have been a profile in leadership failure."

The letter concludes: "America deserves leaders who will stand front and center, level with the American people about our challenges and offer real solutions to solve them. Instead of simply asking for another debt ceiling increase, I urge you to come forward with a real plan to tackle our debt in 2012."

read more: Rubio in letter to Obama: You are turning America into a 'deadbeat nation' - HUMAN EVENTS

As noted, the increase cannot be stopped by any realistic means. I like Rubio. But the purpose here is all about positioning for the 2012 campaign.

As noted, the increase cannot be stopped by any realistic means. I like Rubio. But the purpose here is all about positioning for the 2012 campaign.

Sure seems that way.

is there even a chance that he won't be the VP pick for whoever wins (Romney)?

Romney and Rubio would be the strongest ticket the GOP could put together.

Dunno. Sarah Palin sure popped up out of nowhere in a hurry. I'm sure there are plenty of dumpsters to dive in and find one.

Romney and Rubio would be the strongest ticket the GOP could put together.

I have had the luxury of being a Florida resident for ten years, coming from NJ. Florida is a good place to be a voter, as it usually counts far more than in many other states. I was a Rubio fan in the Fall of '09 when he was behind sitting Governor Crist by 35 points for the GOP Senate nomination. I am on record in another forum singing his praises in Oct of '09 ;). Before it was over, Rubio was the Senator, and Crist had to switch parties.

All that said, Rubio may be very appealing, but he is also green behind the ears a bit on national politics. He is learning quickly, but he is still a rookie.

Dunno. Sarah Palin sure popped up out of nowhere in a hurry. I'm sure there are plenty of dumpsters to dive in and find one.

To be honest, I think Gingrich just dropped the name to hope to snag some Palin supporters. Otherwise, I cannot see her getting serious consideration from anyone, except Larry Flint. I like Palin, but she just ain't it.

I also cannot remember when we headed into an election season with someone who seemed so poised to be a VP nominee. Rubio brings a lot to the table for the GOP, even as a Rookie. I actually think Paul Ryan of WI better suited, but Wisconsin isn't the plum that Florida is.

This letter by Rubio did have me laughing. Its all for show. That's it. OK by me.

Last edited:
All that said, Rubio may be very appealing, but he is also green behind the ears a bit on national politics. He is learning quickly, but he is still a rookie.

While his age and experience is a potential problem, this is, as a liberal, one of the combos I would most not like to face. While I still think Obama wins, it get's nerve-wracking.

I have had the luxury of being a Florida resident for ten years, coming from NJ. Florida is a good place to be a voter, as it usually counts far more than in many other states. I was a Rubio fan in the Fall of '09 when he was behind sitting Governor Crist by 35 points for the GOP Senate nomination. I am on record in another forum singing his praises in Oct of '09 ;). Before it was over, Rubio was the Senator, and Crist had to switch parties.

To be honest, I think Gingrich just dropped the name to hope to snag some Palin supporters. Otherwise, I cannot see her getting serious consideration from anyone, except Larry Flint. I like Palin, but she just ain't it.

I also cannot remember when we headed into an election season with someone who seemed so poised to be a VP nominee. Rubio brings a lot to the table for the GOP, even as a Rookie. I actually think Paul Ryan of WI better suited, but Wisconsin isn't the plum that Florida is.

This letter by Rubio did have me laughing. Its all for show. That's it. OK by me.

Oh I'm not saying Paling will get the nod. I'm just saying that Palin was a kind of last minute surprise out-of-nowhere pick in 2008 and we could be just as easily surprised by another current no-name person from out of nowhere this year.

Oh I'm not saying Paling will get the nod. I'm just saying that Palin was a kind of last minute surprise out-of-nowhere pick in 2008 and we could be just as easily surprised by another current no-name person from out of nowhere this year.

My apologies. I didn't think you saw her as a possible choice, but also did not read your post as you intended. Anything is certainly possible with a pick. But I do like the stable of possible VP candidates the GOP has. Heck, they got stallions waiting to be VP, and a bunch of yesterday's nag's running for top stall !!

Rubio is smart, and pretty slick. But he is still essentially untested on the big stage. Paul Ryan is currently more comfortable, and very nimble, under the bright lights.

If he is, it would be great for liberals.

It would be a quick end to his short political career.

I hope, and believe, that the GOP can unseat Obama his year. However, if Rubio is the pick, I do not want him to give up his Senate seat. Providing he does not self-destruct, the man will be a force in future Presidential elections.

I hope, and believe, that the GOP can unseat Obama his year. However, if Rubio is the pick, I do not want him to give up his Senate seat. Providing he does not self-destruct, the man will be a force in future Presidential elections.

Well Rubio can't both be a Senator and the Vice President. He's going to have to make that choice.

And if I were Rubio there's no way in hell I would choose to be a VP right now. Especially considering how little he has done in the Senate.

If I were him, I would stick with my Senate campaign for at least 2 more terms before I chose to run for the President or as a VP.

If I were him, I would stick with my Senate campaign for at least 2 more terms before I chose to run for the President or as a VP.

If only the last guy thought like you did.

Well Rubio can't both be a Senator and the Vice President. He's going to have to make that choice.

And if I were Rubio there's no way in hell I would choose to be a VP right now. Especially considering how little he has done in the Senate.

What I meant was that, as a candidate for VP, he does not have to resign his Senate seat. Only if he wins VP is he then compelled.

Or they could search the whorehouse where BO found the uber retard Joey Hairplugs Biden.

If only the last guy thought like you did.

I was thinking the same thing. BO went from community organizer to the White House. One day he is worrying about installing swing sets in a city park, the next day he gives a vacuous, brain dead speech to a bunch of democrats and is elected President shortly thereafter. BO had ZERO experience and the lib's praise him.....Rubio was only the speaker of the house for one of the largest states in the country and the lib's say he doesn't have enough experience. Too funny.

That doesnty make a lot of sense to me, Sam. Obama was less than a one term senator before he ran. If he was to run on a ticket and win, Vice President of the United States isnt a bad thing to have on a resume and there is no reason he would have to leave the senate to campaign, even if they lost (which...I am still convinced that any candidacy pairing from the GOP will do).

In my opinion, we need a no name American with the best interest of the country in mind, more than we need a life long politician who has had years and years to learn how to bend politics to suit their personal interests... To me, the last thing we need in politics right now, is politicians. And that goes for both parties. Politicians = selfish = bad for country.

i'm not so sure. he might be able to deliver Florida.

Rubio and Ryan are probably the future of the GOP. if Democrats want to remain relevant, they need to be thinking about the post-Obama strategy, also.

In my opinion, we need a no name American with the best interest of the country in mind, more than we need a life long politician who has had years and years to learn how to bend politics to suit their personal interests... To me, the last thing we need in politics right now, is politicians. And that goes for both parties. Politicians = selfish = bad for country.

I say the same thing about wall street businessmen.

Or they could search the whorehouse where BO found the uber retard Joey Hairplugs Biden.

Or they could hire Dick Cheney to search for a veep for them where he would pick himself again.... just like what happened in 2000.

...and look how good that choice turned out to be. No, I think both Democrats and Republicans are going to try to find a person dedicated to moving up within the ranks of the party and not an person looking to hit the talk show and book circuit. Palin is going to stand as an example of who NOT to pick for your VP for a very long time.

...and look how good that choice turned out to be. No, I think both Democrats and Republicans are going to try to find a person dedicated to moving up within the ranks of the party and not an person looking to hit the talk show and book circuit. Palin is going to stand as an example of who NOT to pick for your VP for a very long time.

I think you are right. Mostly not just because she was a boat anchor on the ticket but how she was so unknown that they couldn't foresee her "going rogue" during the campaign and pretty much work against the campaign because she wanted to line her pockets after the election. I think they'll be looking for people with more loyalties than she provided.

I've yet to see evidence that Rubio is anything but a light weight. This letter included.

I've yet to see evidence that Rubio is anything but a light weight. This letter included.

When you start having the same judgements on some Dems and begin to express admiration for some deserving Republicans, your opinion might have some gravitas.

Back
Top Bottom