• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Romney puts forth his foreign policy platform

Conservative,

Let's be honest about Romney's foreign policy. His rhetoric is nothing more than a retread from the Reagan era and that's fine if you're of the hard-Right set who wants desperately to resurrect the ideals of a real Conservative leader. But Romney's not Reagan - not even close! But you guys, you keep working hard to convince yourselves that you have someone who's Reagan-ess. Lord know Republicans have been tripping all over themselves since the GOP primaries when it became clear he would be your party's nominee. (Or did you? See "The Norquist" below). You've had to force yourselves to like him when truth is you guys wanted someone else to lead your party. It's like putting a bitter bite of food in your mouth at a formal dining event and you're sitting at the head table but you don't want to be rude and spit that bit out while the host is looking. So you swallow...hard...and you just take it. That's where many Republicans are with Romney. You accept him because you have to, not because you want to.

Romney's foreign policy is either: a) a rehash of old ideas, i.e., supporting puppet regimes but calling it "spreading democracy"; and, b) mirroring current foreign policy measures by the Obama Administration. There's nothing, absolutely nothing, that's different about what he'd do that isn't being done today. From his Middle-East issues website:

Ladies and gentlemen, we tried this before - TWICE - and got SADDAM HUSSIEN and OSAMA BIN LADEN!

So, other than trying to institute more puppet regimes, what exactly would he do differently?

He may not like that combat troops were pulled from Iraq, but when you have a pre-arranged schedule of withdrawl instituted by your predecessor AND the country inwhich the previous and current Presidents worked hard to bring a long war to an end while reminding the country that "democracy must hold" AND (this part is important so pay attention) the President of Iraq (or Prime Minister or whatever that country's leader calls himself) all but tells the Presidnet of the "liberating" nation to leave - it no longers desires or requires their help militarily - you have no choice but to leave unless you want to extend an already protracted war. So, I ask you when exactly were we to let this new democratic Iraq begin to rule itself again? Stay in country another year? Two years? Five years? Another decade? When does the parent let the child grow up and start taking care of itself?

On Iran, I laugh at Republicans on this issue. Why? Because Iran's been a thorn in America's side since 1979. Yet, here we are 22 years, five Administrations and three Republican presidents later and not one of them dared to take on Ahmadinejad directly. Instead, every one of them from Reagan to Obama have used sanctions as a means to pressure Iran from continuing their nuclear enrichment program, a measure Romney says he would continue and, moreover, gave credit to both GW Bush and Obama for pursuing.

From his Iran issues website:

Translation: More sactions. Not a direct military strike against Iran which he has all but eluded to in order to gain support from the far-Right, but sanctions. But I'll give him credit where credit is due. He's not as much of a fool I thought him to be. Even he isn't dumb enough to take military options off the table. But hey, why push another war when you sound tough publicly while privately echo the exact same position on Iran as the current President:

Well, I'll be damned! Isn't that the exact same position as President Obama? That Romney sure would be tougher on Iran, won't he? :roll:

On the Israel-Palistine issue:

Now, where have we heard this before? Oh, yeah...his address to the UN Security Counsel last year (not to mention in his 2012 SOUA):

Source: Obama: Palestinian State Through Negotiation, Not U.N. Vote | Long Island Press

Source: 2012 SOUA

There are alot of examples just like the one's above where Romney tries real hard to come across as being vastly different from Obama on foreign policy, but the truth is he'd do exactly the same things - that is, unless you believe "The Norquist" when he essentially said, "Mitt Romney will do exactly as he's told."

Sources:
NBA video
Norquist: Romney Will Do As Told

So four more years of Obama policies? No thanks, and it seems that the electorate is waking up. They saw and empty suit on the stage with a real leader last Wednesday and a total failure in the Middle East as the Libya Fiasco details come out.

Getting pretty desparate as you should as the latest polls show. I don't think it is going to be nearly as close and liberals hope, then watch the sore losers protesting in the street as they whine and complain about the failure of our first African American President. Don't worry though you and others can blame his poor results on him being half white.

Romney is a leader, something you and all other Obama supporters will never understand. He will clean up the Obama mess and won't blame him for four years like Obama has blamed Bush. the economic and foreign policy failures are monumental and this country cannot afford four more years of Obama.

More militaristic approach to the M.E., $2 trillion extra spending on the military, throw an additional $716 billion into medicare, another round of giant tax cuts AND balance the budget?... man this guy's a miracle worker.

Romney won't be adding 5.4 trillion to the debt in four years like Obama has and most here know it. Doubt seriously you have any concept of what the debt is costing the taxpayers nor do you care. Those that support Obama bought into the hope and change message with no specifics and now they want specifics from Romney. Where was the vetting of Obama?

By the way did you ever figure out how to figure out the unemployment rate?

So four more years of Obama policies? No thanks, and it seems that the electorate is waking up. They saw and empty suit on the stage with a real leader last Wednesday and a total failure in the Middle East as the Libya Fiasco details come out.

Getting pretty desparate as you should as the latest polls show. I don't think it is going to be nearly as close and liberals hope, then watch the sore losers protesting in the street as they whine and complain about the failure of our first African American President. Don't worry though you and others can blame his poor results on him being half white.

Romney is a leader, something you and all other Obama supporters will never understand. He will clean up the Obama mess and won't blame him for four years like Obama has blamed Bush. the economic and foreign policy failures are monumental and this country cannot afford four more years of Obama.

Yeah, Romney's some leader...you keep telling yourself that. (BTW, I noticed you didn't attempt to refute one word of my post.)

Romney won't be adding 5.4 trillion to the debt in four years like Obama has and most here know it. Doubt seriously you have any concept of what the debt is costing the taxpayers nor do you care. Those that support Obama bought into the hope and change message with no specifics and now they want specifics from Romney. Where was the vetting of Obama?

I hate to see you cry but... the deficit shrunk this year by $200 billion.

By the way did you ever figure out how to figure out the unemployment rate?[/QUOTE]

I leave that up to the CBO that you seem to have a love hate relationship with. You used to love them until I showed you that all unemployment indices were going down. Then all of a sudden you don't like them anymore. I wonder why?

*edit... I'm sure Romney will get our debt and deficit into shape after he throws a new $716 billion into medicare, expands military spending by $2 trillion as he's said he would then expand our militarism in the M.E. as he's stated he do, then make permanent Bush's tax cuts all while issuing new and more tax cuts.

yep... sounds like the kind of fiscally nonsensical budget you'd latch onto with all limbs.

Yeah, Romney's some leader...you keep telling yourself that. (BTW, I noticed you didn't attempt to refute one word of my post.)

It serves no purpose to even respond to your post as Romney hasn't been in the office. You voted for Obama with much less experience than Romney has and put your faith in him. I will put my faith in Romney and his leadership skills to clean up the Obama mess.

Bake sales and car washes staffed by former welfare recipients overseen by Paul Ryan I think.

At least the 47% would be doing something productive then.

At least the 47% would be doing something productive then.

Shoplifting our government brownies? (Note to those for whom sarcasm is a foreign language: <<<<just a joke)

poweRob;1061003920]I hate to see you cry but... the deficit shrunk this year by $200 billion.

Interesting, do you do an act of predicting the future? From the article

The U.S. Treasury is expected to release official final figures for the year ended September 30 next week.

As it stands today the debt for fiscal year 2012 is now 16.2 trillion dollars and the deficit will be over a trillion dollars all four years of the Obama Administration. I am sure that is a record you are proud of.

I leave that up to the CBO that you seem to have a love hate relationship with. You used to love them until I showed you that all unemployment indices were going down. Then all of a sudden you don't like them anymore. I wonder why?

Interesting how you believe CBO numbers which I have always accepted for what they are, projections based upon assumptions given them by the Congress. BLS provides data on the employment and unemployment rate, BEA.gov takes information from the bank account of the United States. I will take their data over CBO data and always have.

I am waiting for an answer, how is the unemployment rate calculated? When you figure that out you will then figure out how screwed up your post was on the U-6 rate in that you used the wrong survey data

*edit... I'm sure Romney will get our debt and deficit into shape after he throws a new $716 billion into medicare, expands military spending by $2 trillion as he's said he would then expand our militarism in the M.E. as he's stated he do, then make permanent Bush's tax cuts all while issuing new and more tax cuts.

You aren't sure of anything since you voted for Obama and will give him another four years. Amazing how little you know about economics and the effects of economic growth on govt. As has been pointed out but you ignored the Bush tax cuts were fully implemented in July 2003 and the govt. received record revenue in 2007 along with having tax revenue growth from 2003-2007. Elimination of Obama care will help replenish the Medicare account which again was raided to pay for Obamacare.

yep... sounds like the kind of fiscally nonsensical budget you'd latch onto with all limbs.

As an Obama supporter I don't think you should be talking about fiscal responsibility.

Interesting, do you do an act of predicting the future? From the article

Looks like you are a day late and a dollar short yet again...

CBO Monthly Budget Review:

The federal government’s fiscal year 2012 has come to a close, and CBO estimates that the federal budget deficit for the year was about $1.1 trillion, approximately $200 billion lower than the shortfall recorded in 2011.​

It is the CBO's website I linked for you so... don't know if you are going to have a conniption over directly using a government source again. Don't worry, I'm sure Hannity will find out that it is just another government source conspiracy to make Obama look good just before election time.

It's because Romney wants to increase their budget. They get more money and more toys, of course they like that.

When Iran attacks us our military will need plenty of toys to attack Iran with.

Here's some input on Romney's foreign policies...

Ex-Powell aide on Romney's foreign policy team: 'These people make me sick'

Lawrence Wilkerson, the former chief of staff to Secretary of State Colin Powell, skewered Mitt Romney’s foreign policy team on Monday, saying their policies make his stomach turn.

Wilkerson took particular aim at John Bolton, former President George W. Bush’s ambassador to the United Nations—and now an adviser to Romney.

“The man scares me to death,” Wilkerson, a retired U.S. Army colonel told MSNBC’s Ed Schultz. “He would defeat all the enemies in America and the world—and believe me they’re plentiful—and he’d do it with everyone else’s blood. John is like Dick Cheney, never served a day in his life and wouldn't serve a day in his life … These people make me sick.”

Wilkerson’s harsh rhetoric comes on the heels of Romney’s foreign policy speech earlier in the day, in which the former Massachusetts governor laid out a hawkish approach.

Without offering much in the way of specifics, Romney vowed to prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon, go after terrorists who attacked the U.S. consulate in Libya, and work to ensure Syrian rebels obtain arms to defeat Bashar al-Assad’s regime.

"Utterly unbelievable, Wilkerson said, blasting Romney as “operating on a Cold War music sheet.”

Asked about former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld’s endorsement of Romney’s speech, Wilkerson declared that Rumsfeld, one of the key architects of the Iraq War “has zero credibility with me and he’ll never regain it again.”​

It serves no purpose to even respond to your post as Romney hasn't been in the office. You voted for Obama with much less experience than Romney has and put your faith in him. I will put my faith in Romney and his leadership skills to clean up the Obama mess.

You won't respond because you know what I've stated is true and you have no counterpoint to offer. So, you fall back on standard rhetorical talking points. But you go right ahead putting your faith in Mitt. Frankly, as a pure Conservative partisan I'd say you really have no choice. The Norquist has spoken.

Foreign Policy Choice 2012

Obama... I'm a War Monger
Romney... I'm a bigger War Monger

Very few have been against war since the draft was done away with. The so called left preaches against war when an elephant is in the White House but say very little when a donkey is in the White House. The same goes for the so called right. Bring back the draft so everyone's child dies in these wars and you will suddenly find the American people not so keen on war regardless of who is in the White House. All this debate about who is bigger war monger is absurd.

Looks like you are a day late and a dollar short yet again...

CBO Monthly Budget Review:

The federal government’s fiscal year 2012 has come to a close, and CBO estimates that the federal budget deficit for the year was about $1.1 trillion, approximately $200 billion lower than the shortfall recorded in 2011.​

It is the CBO's website I linked for you so... don't know if you are going to have a conniption over directly using a government source again. Don't worry, I'm sure Hannity will find out that it is just another government source conspiracy to make Obama look good just before election time.

I am rapidly losing respect for you. CBO provides projections not actual data as that data comes from the U.S. Treasury

From your post

CBO estimates that the federal budget deficit for the year was about $1.1 trillion

You won't respond because you know what I've stated is true and you have no counterpoint to offer. So, you fall back on standard rhetorical talking points. But you go right ahead putting your faith in Mitt. Frankly, as a pure Conservative partisan I'd say you really have no choice. The Norquist has spoken.

Hey, could be wrong, but willing to take that chance based upon the Romney Resume. You took a chance on Obama and he made you look foolish. It is the Obama results vs. your predictions on what you think Romney will do. Looks to me like you are willing to double down on the Obama failures because of your feelings. Do liberals ever admit when wrong?

By the way did you ever figure out how to figure out the unemployment rate?

Romney won't be adding trillions to the debt? how do you figure that? Here's one analysis that used Romney favourable assumptions.
Seems under his plan, GDP rises to 30 Trillion and debt rises to 30 trillion by 2025. (that does not include social insurance trust debt) Lessee, would that be doubling the national debt in 12 years?

How Romney's Plan Will Affect The Debt - Business Insider

Romney won't be adding trillions to the debt? how do you figure that? Here's one analysis that used Romney favourable assumptions.
Seems under his plan, GDP rises to 30 Trillion and debt rises to 30 trillion by 2025. (that does not include social insurance trust debt) Lessee, would that be doubling the national debt in 12 years?

How Romney's Plan Will Affect The Debt - Business Insider

I really don't expect someone from outside of this country to understand how economic growth affects govt. revenue no matter how many times I post the data. You know what happens when people assume something is going to happen and you base that upon liberal talking points. You make an ass out of u and me. Everything we have from liberals are assumptions because Romney had absolutely nothing to do with the Obama record which means that people who support Obama will do anything to divert from that record.

I really don't expect someone from outside of this country to understand how economic growth affects govt. revenue no matter how many times I post the data. You know what happens when people assume something is going to happen and you base that upon liberal talking points. You make an ass out of u and me. Everything we have from liberals are assumptions because Romney had absolutely nothing to do with the Obama record which means that people who support Obama will do anything to divert from that record.

Again with the spurious reference.

If you had read the link you would have found that the projection includes an 8.1% growth rate. As i said very favourable assumptions for romney's plan in both best case and more likely case.

didn't mention anything about obama, this is a discussion of romney's plan. You were the one that claimed romney wasn't going to add trillions to the deficit, and I rightly pointed out you are wrong. If you have any analysis that contradicts this, please posted it. If not, then you will just have to live with being wrong.

Again with the spurious reference.

If you had read the link you would have found that the projection includes an 8.1% growth rate. As i said very favourable assumptions for romney's plan in both best case and more likely case.

didn't mention anything about obama, this is a discussion of romney's plan. You were the one that claimed romney wasn't going to add trillions to the deficit, and I rightly pointed out you are wrong. If you have any analysis that contradicts this, please posted it. If not, then you will just have to live with being wrong.

It is based upon assumptions as I have pointed out. Please tell me how much revenue to the Federal govt. 23 million unemployed/under employed/discouraged workers generates?

Do you understand economic growth at all? Do you understand that we won't have a 3.8 trillion dollar budget under Romney? Do you have any concept of how much govt. the people of this country need when they keep more of what they earn? Do you understand that in 2007 the U.S. Treasury collected a record amount of tax revenue?

All this effort on your part continues to divert from the Obama record. He took office on a hope and change message with no specifics. Now people are demanding specifics from Romney while ignoring history of what pro growth economic policies generate for the govt.

Back
Top Bottom