• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rick Perry Opens door in comeback to convention in comback in GOP Presidential race

disneydude

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Rick Perry opens door to convention in comeback in GOP presidential race | Fox News

Rick Perry, who has twice dropped out of races for the Republican presidential nomination, isn’t ruling out another shot at the White House.

The former Texas governor told CNN that he wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a brokered convention for the Republican nomination this year – and hinted if that happened he might be ready to give it another go.

This had to be the funniest thing I saw today....so I just had to share.

Oops! I thought I might have another chance. Nope.....sorry Rick....too funny.

Re: Rick Perry Opens door in comeback to convention in comback in GOP Presidential ra

Rick Perry opens door to convention in comeback in GOP presidential race | Fox News

Rick Perry, who has twice dropped out of races for the Republican presidential nomination, isn’t ruling out another shot at the White House.

The former Texas governor told CNN that he wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a brokered convention for the Republican nomination this year – and hinted if that happened he might be ready to give it another go.

He's not serious, but he would be the most qualified candidate running if he decided to get back in.

Re: Rick Perry Opens door in comeback to convention in comback in GOP Presidential ra

He can't. Has to win 8 states before he's even eligible to put his name in the hat at the convention. Besides, Cruz will have conclusively taken Texas, with Trump as second, in less than a week.

Wasted effort, it is way too late given this lot of hopefuls.

He can't. Has to win 8 states before he's even eligible to put his name in the hat at the convention. Besides, Cruz will have conclusively taken Texas, with Trump as second, in less than a week.

Rules can change. That's what they did in 1964 at the convention in Cleveland, when William Scranton, in his bid to stop Goldwater, tried to get George Romney to run, but Romney turned him down.

And I'm sure you meant run in eight states, not win them.

Last edited:

Given the title I'm picturing Rick Perry popping out of a literal door at the convention and shouting "IM BACK, BITCHES!"

It's funnier than it has any right to be.

Rules can change. That's what they did in 1964 at the convention in Cleveland, when William Scranton, in his bid to stop Goldwater, tried to get George Romney to run, but Romney turned him down.

Pretty sure it's win eight states. You could be right.

Not to mention Perry doesn't even have his ground game in place.

He's not serious, but he would be the most qualified candidate running if he decided to get back in.

Low Bar there... ;)

But seriously Kasich is a far better choice. What works well in Texas doesn't always play out well across the nation- LBJ, BushII, Perry... :peace

Low Bar there... ;)

But seriously Kasich is a far better choice. What works well in Texas doesn't always play out well across the nation- LBJ, BushII, Perry... :peace

Running a State that's led the Nation in Job creation for the last 7 years, that's provided job opportunties for people from all over the US ( especially California ) and that's managed to create a 8 Billion dollar budget surplus is low bar ?

Running a State that's led the Nation in Job creation for the last 7 years, that's provided job opportunties for people from all over the US ( especially California ) and that's managed to create a 8 Billion dollar budget surplus is low bar ?
It's almost like every state with access to oil and/or natural gas experienced an increase in their revenues! Do you think there's a correlation?

One thing about Rick that is absolute. He makes GW look smart. Now, that is and accomplishment.

Absolutely. Rick Perry could show America how to become oil rich in every state.

The current requirement is that a Candidate must have won the majority of Delegates from eight States to be eligible for nomination.

Currently Rule 40(b) of “The Rules of the Republican Party,” requires a Candidate to have won the majority of Delegates from eight States to be eligible for nomination.

(page 44)

(b) Each candidate for nomination for President of the United States and Vice President of the United States shall demonstrate the support of a majority of the delegates from each of eight (8) or more states, severally, prior to the presentation of the name of that candidate for nomination.

I seriously doubt Cruz or Rubio can pull off that many states.

While that specific rule is temporary and can be changed by the Party, if they do change it and it appears to have been done to hamper Trump's candidacy, I predict Trump will see this as being treating unfairly if he loses.

Absolutely. Rick Perry could show America how to become oil rich in every state.

Oil prices are don and have been for some time, so OBVIOUSLY Texas's economy isn't dependent on Oil.

He better wear glasses so he at least looks smart!

The current requirement is that a Candidate must have won the majority of Delegates from eight States to be eligible for nomination.

If Trump doesn't get 50% or more of delegates on the first ballot, that rule flies out the window.

If Trump doesn't get 50% or more of delegates on the first ballot, that rule flies out the window.
If he was the only one to receive the majority of delegates in eight of the States thus making him the only one eligible to be nominated and he didn't receive 50% plus 1 on the first ballot, I am sure he will see that as not being treated fairly.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure the rules are going to be changed because the establishment doesn't want Trump to receive the nomination.
Their only problem will be in not making it look like they are being unfair.

Last edited:

Mining, manufacturing, textiles, food, tech, and real estate have carried the economy.

I don't know where people keep harping on oil.

Not every state has oil/natural resources up the wazoo sitting right under them. Most don't in fact. Natural resources and stealing jobs from other states was the reason for his "success". It was in no way complicated to do that. Especially not when he caused his state to drop very low in several other rankings in order to get to those rankings, rankings no state should want to be low in.

I wouldn't piss on Perry if he was on fire. He was the product of a behind the scene radical conservative machine who told him how to comb his hair and go to the bathroom. He was a puppet.

But his handlers couldn't hide his ignorance on the national front. His dumbassness jumped out for all to see once he was put on the stage and had to spontaneously share is real self.

Now if you want to ask me how I really feel about Perry, please do.

He better wear glasses so he at least looks smart!

Perry and Romney kind of look like brothers.
mitt-romney-and-rick-perry.jpg

If he was the only one to receive the majority of delegates in eight of the States thus making him the only one eligible to be nominated and he didn't receive 50% plus 1 on the first ballot, I am sure he will see that as not being treated fairly.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure the rules are going to be changed because the establishment doesn't want Trump to receive the nomination.
Their only problem will be in not making it look like they are being unfair.

And that will be a problem. On one hand you have the 8 state rule, and on the other hand you have must receive more than half the delegates at the convention to be nominated. If the hardliners dig in against Trump, one of those rules will have to fall, and it won't be the more than half of delegates at the convention that falls. If Cruz or Rubio somehow manage to win 8 states, then my point is moot, but I don't they either of them will. Of course, if Trump has more than half the delegates on the first ballot, my point is also moot, but I don't think that will happen either. We'll see what happens. I have been wrong before. LOL.

Last edited:

And that will be a problem. On one hand you have the 8 state rule, and on the other hand you have must receive more than half the delegates at the convention to be nominated. If the hardliners dig in against Trump, one of those rules will have to fall, and it won't be the more than half of delegates at the convention that falls. If Cruz or Rubio somehow manage to win 8 states, then my point is moot, but I don't they either of them will. Of course, if Trump has more than half the delegates on the first ballot, my point is also moot, but I don't think that will happen either. We'll see what happens. I have been wrong before. LOL.
I have already spoke to the rules changing.
But the scenario that the only candidate standing (if that happened) not receiving 50% + 1 doesn't seem plausible as there would be no one else to vote for under their own rules.

I have already spoke to the rules changing.
But the scenario that the only candidate standing (if that happened) not receiving 50% + 1 doesn't seem plausible as there would be no one else to vote for under their own rules.

The rules throughout the entire life of both parties is that you must get a majority of the delegates. If you applied both rules, then there would be nobody at all to nominate, if nobody had a majority of delegates on the first ballot, or any ballot after that.. If there is not a majority of delegates on the first ballot, and Trump is the only one to have won 8 states, the 8 state rule goes bye bye if Cruz and Rubio dig in their heels, and their delegates don't defect to Trump after the first ballot.

NOTE: After the first ballot, delegates are no longer committed, so Trump could conceivably win it due to defections, but so could any other candidate.

Last edited:

The rules throughout the entire life of both parties is that you must get a majority of the delegates. If you applied both rules, then there would be nobody at all to nominate.
You are missing the context of the point being made of there only being one Candidate to vote for.

Back
Top Bottom