• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rich, White and Unvaccinated

The point being that again.. when it comes to the small pox vaccine.. its not worth the risk.

IF there was absolutely no risk for the vaccine.. then we would be vaccinated children in order to stop any future outbreak.

Its not because there is ZERO risk of smallpox.. in fact we have recently vaccinated troops and some civilians in anticipation of an outbreak.

There is 0 chance of contracting a Natural case of small pox .
No reason to spend money for the vaccination.

Why do we assume smallpox was eradicated in the Americas by vaccines? Many diseases have disappeared without vaccines for them.

Scarlet Fever
Sweating Sickness
Typhoid
Cholera
Black Plague

Is it not possible that this has occurred with many other diseases, even those that we have vaccines for?

Also, can we at least admit that measles, chickenpox and even polio aren't deadly to the vast majority of people that contract the disease?

Why do we give children HepB shots at birth? Does this not seem utterly unnecessary?

I've very suspicious of the vaccine schedule. Too many of these diseases we have to vaccinate for aren't that much a threat and others aren't even something children need to be concerned about.

there is a chance of it being used as a weapon and thus the government instituted a program of inoculation.

Come now.. you know its not about money.. its because its risky.. its a risk versus benefits.

Facts are facts minnie6167. Its okay though.. we know that I have a valid point.

I have no problem with public schools requiring vaccines. It no different then the state requiring you to have a driver's license and insurance to drive on public roads.

Why do we assume smallpox was eradicated in the Americas by vaccines? Many diseases have disappeared without vaccines for them..

All of diseases you mentioned are still around today.

With the possible exception of scarlet fever they were not considered childhood diseases.

Scarlet fever still affects a small percentage of children who get a strep infection ...most just say the child has a strep infection

Scarlet fever results from group A strep infection. If your child has a sore throat and rash, their doctor can test for strep. Quick treatment with antibiotics can protect your child from possible long-term health problems.

Scarlet fever – or scarlatina – is a bacterial infection caused by group A Streptococcusor "group A strep." This illness affects a small percentage of people who have strep throat or, less commonly, streptococcal skin infections.

animals get sweating sickness today. It is caused by a tick.

Sweating sickness is an acute, febrile, tickborne toxicosis characterized mainly by a profuse, moist eczema and hyperemia of the skin and visible mucous membranes. It is essentially a disease of young calves, although adult cattle are also susceptible. Sheep, pigs, goats, and a dog have been infected experimentally. It occurs in eastern, central, and southern Africa and probably in Sri Lanka and southern India.

Typhoid fever
Is also called: enteric fever

It is a bacterial disease spread through contaminated food and water or close contact.
There were 305 US cases in 2015

It is treatable by a medical professional

Cholera

Is a bacterial disease causing severe diarrhea and dehydration, usually spread in water.
There was 1 US case in 2015

It is treatable by a medical professional

Black plague
As recently as December 2013, the island of Madagascar battled a new plague outbreak.
The number of cases of plague reported in the United States is small, with only one case in 2003 and two each in 2001 and 2002, none of which were fatal. The decline followed an increase in plague rates in the 1990’s, with a high of 14 cases reported in the U.S. in 1994.

In recent decades, an average of seven human plague cases have been reported each year, most of them in the bubonic form, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Avoiding the Black Plague Today - The Atlantic

Last edited:
there is a chance of it being used as a weapon and thus the government instituted a program of inoculation.

Come now.. you know its not about money.. its because its risky.. its a risk versus benefits.

Facts are facts minnie6167. Its okay though.. we know that I have a valid point.

I am not going to worry about the chance of smallpox being a weapon.
I did not buy plastic drop cloths and duct tape to seal my doors and windows (soon after 9/11 ) in case there was dirty bomb .
I am NOT living my life in fear and I am teaching my grandchildren to duck under their school desk and put their hands over their heads in case there is a nuclear attack.

I am not going to worry about the chance of smallpox being a weapon.
I did not buy plastic drop cloths and duct tape to seal my doors and windows (soon after 9/11 ) in case there was dirty bomb .
I am NOT living my life in fear and I am teaching my grandchildren to duck under their school desk and put their hands over their heads in case there is a nuclear attack.

What if the government mandated that your grandchildren have the small pox vaccine . Would you concur because "all vaccines are safe"?

by the way.. I also don't live in fear. I am not frightened that my son will die of cervical cancer because he has not been vaccinated for HPV.

Last edited:
What if the government mandated that your grandchildren have the small pox vaccine . Would you concur because "all vaccines are safe"?

Most vaccines against a virus are extremely safe since they do not use a live virus.
The smallpox vaccine still uses a live virus but yes if the government mandated it then they should get it. I had mine ( and I had local reaction with a hard, red lump the size of an egg on my arm) and in spite of my reaction I made sure my two older children had their smallpox vaccinations. My younger two children did not need them because by the early 1980s smallpox had been eradicated. It no longer survived in nature.

I believe requiring children to have their small pox vaccinations all those years from when it was invented through the early 70s is the reason why it was eradicated and children no longer need those vaccinations.

?..

by the way.. I also don't live in fear. I am not frightened that my son will die of cervical cancer because he has not been vaccinated for HPV.

Actually I was talking about fear of war or terrorism.

I am glad you do not fear that your son might get or spread a STD .

Most vaccines against a virus are extremely safe since they do not use a live virus.
The smallpox vaccine still uses a live virus but yes if the government mandated it then they should get it. I had mine ( and I had local reaction with a hard, red lump the size of an egg on my arm) and in spite of my reaction I made sure my two older children had their smallpox vaccinations. My younger two children did not need them because by the early 1980s smallpox had been eradicated. It no longer survived in nature.

I believe requiring children to have their small pox vaccinations all those years from when it was invented through the early 70s is the reason why it was eradicated and children no longer need those vaccinations.

Yes.. many vaccines ARE extremely safe.. the smallpox vaccine is not as safe as others.

I personally would not require my child to have smallpox vaccine unless their would be a credible threat that he could get smallpox because the risk of the vaccine is greater than the risk of getting small pox.

You apparently would force my child to get the smallpox virus regardless to the risk of his safety and regardless of the risk of infection.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

I don;t fear that he will die of cervical cancer no. but there are other STD's out there that I fear..

HPV is often cleared up, in the vast majority of people who contract it, all on its own.

Yes.. many vaccines ARE extremely safe.. the smallpox vaccine is not as safe as others.

I personally would not require my child to have smallpox vaccine unless their would be a credible threat that he could get smallpox because the risk of the vaccine is greater than the risk of getting small pox.

You apparently would force my child to get the smallpox virus regardless to the risk of his safety and regardless of the risk of infection.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

I would never force anyone to have a vaccination.
I do however, think states have the right to require vaccinations for certain preventable childhood diseases in order to attend public schools in their state.

I don;t fear that he will die of cervical cancer no. but there are other STD's out there that I fear..

While guys/men do not get cervical cancer from the HPV virus they might get mouth or throat cancer from the virus.

From the following article:

Oral cancers from HPV such as Michael Douglas’ are 'epidemic' among men, but preventable through HPV vaccine: experts

HPV-caused mouth and throat cancers are a new epidemic among men -- one that people aren't fully aware of, according to cancer experts.

Read more:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...pv-epidemic-men-preventable-article-1.1361894

I would never force anyone to have a vaccination.
I do however, think states have the right to require vaccinations for certain preventable childhood diseases in order to attend public schools in their state.

And that would be forcing people to have vaccinations.

While guys/men do not get cervical cancer from the HPV virus they might get mouth or throat cancer from the virus.

From the following article:

Oral cancers from HPV such as Michael Douglas’ are 'epidemic' among men, but preventable through HPV vaccine: experts

Read more:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...pv-epidemic-men-preventable-article-1.1361894

Yep.. and the incidence is low enough and my son is young enough that the risk of the vaccine is not worth the risk of the getting mouth cancer.

And that would be forcing people to have vaccinations.

No, they can send their children to a private school, home school their children , or they could even choose no to have child, they could even move their family to ou try where vaccinations are not required.

Yep.. and the incidence is low enough and my son is young enough that the risk of the vaccine is not worth the risk of the getting mouth cancer.

I thought the recommended age for the vaccine is 12 or 13 anyway.

No virus is used in the vaccine only proteins.
The HPV vaccine contains no viruses and is not made from human papillomavirus. The active ingredients in the HPV vaccine are proteins that are similar to those found in the human papillomavirus. Genetically modified bacteria produce the proteins, which are then purified and mixed into a sterile, water-based solution.

There have been no recoded serious side effects from the PVH vaccine.

Government, academic, and other public health investigators could not identify the HPV vaccine as the cause of any severe adverse event. There were 96 deaths as of March 30, 2014, none of which could be directly tied to the HPV vaccine.The conclusion of public health investigators was that the HPV vaccine was unlikely to be the cause of these events. Such events occur at a certain rate in any group of tens of millions of people. The vaccination before each adverse event seemed to be a simple coincidence.

Adult HPV Vaccine Age, Guidelines, Side Effects, Benefits

Last edited:
No, they can send their children to a private school, home school their children , or they could even choose no to have child, they could even move their family to ou try where vaccinations are not required.

Yeah.. the whole... but you aren't "being forced as long as you can spend a buttload of money on private schools, or you can decide to blow off work and home school your child". is just absurd..

Come on.

t

Back
Top Bottom