• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Photo ID to Vote - Yes or No

Photo ID to Vote - Yes or No

• Total voters
The vast majority of fraud comes from counting the votes not voting in person. But I still support voter I.D. but they must be free to obtain. And by free to obtain I mean no backdoor poll taxing, which is what often happens.

That sounds good on paper but does free really mean at the expense of selected others? Taxing me to give Joe the ID which I had to pay for is not free to me. ;)

California's motor voter law:

“The New Motor Voter Act automatically registers to vote all eligible voters when they obtain or renew their drivers licenses at the Department of Motor Vehicles instead of requiring them to fill out a form,” according to a recent report published by The Washington Times. “The goal is to ease barriers to voting, but election-integrity advocates warn that the measure could inadvertently add millions of illegal voters to the rolls given that California allows undocumented aliens to obtain drivers licenses.”

The problem is when you check the "citizen" box, you get an absentee ballot and sell it to a precinct worker. If you they trace it back to you, "I threw it away". The state changed the language to "intent". You don't accidentally vote.

I wonder about people in today's society who don't have a form of ID. If you have to fill out a form and show an ID to buy a gun or show an ID to cash a check you sure ought to be required to show one to vote or register to vote

How is that relevant?

And there's nothing wrong with requiring ID's when everyone has them. The problem isn't the ID, it's that it's far more work for some people to get IDs than others. That's the entire purpose of requiring voter IDs. It's partisan electioneering (if you're being nice) and blatant racial discrimination (if you're not). If the goal was to crack down on voter fraud, you'd look at ways of controlling the absentee ballot process. But this kind of fraud is most commonly associated with the white middle class.
Why is this ?
Are not the poor people issued birth certificates ?
Have they not been trained in record keeping ?
Can they even read and write ?
As I say .. education .. and this may take several generations ..

Why is this ?
Are not the poor people issued birth certificates ?
Have they not been trained in record keeping ?
Can they even read and write ?
As I say .. education .. and this may take several generations ..
?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You may want to rethink some of your phrasing. I'm not sure what you were intending, but that comes across as incredibly condescending and insulting.

Also, like it or not, literacy is not a requirement for voting.

Forget all the other crap that's typically rolled into such laws.
Boil this down to it's most simplistic, and verbatim question.

Should each person who votes, in any national and/or regional election, be required to verify their identity through a state approved photo ID card?

Nothing else is being asked or inferred here. A photo ID is all I'm asking about.

Yes or no?

No. Photo ID needed to register to vote... That also means that photo ID is provided free of charge to all legal residents and that we put into place mechanisms to assist in acquiring photo ID those who are unable to get to a location where photo ID can be issued.

The problem with some Photo ID's is, for instance in the state of Washington, illegals can get a Washington drivers license which in turn can be used as identification to vote.
Although I agree there may be a burden on some citizens in getting a valid ID...they seem to be very few. I mean if a person can get things like food stamps and welfare without aid what is the problem with a valid voters ID? The fact is, IMO, a valid ID should be used to get government aid to help prevent fraud.

Oh, and by the way...I heard that North Carolina voting was up after their voter ID law went into effect? Is that true of not?

You can't work without an ID - so problem solved. Or at least by government guidelines, you must show proof of citizenship and social security card to be hired for a job legally.

Sigh...
1), That's not true. Those requirements are limited for e-verify
2), Employment is not a precondition for voting.

I'm not sure what's difficult to understand here. America was founded on several very basic principles. One is one person, one vote. That means everyone has an equal right to vote. You can't make it easier for some and more difficult for others. And the right to vote has nothing to do with your ability to make an informed vote. It has nothing to do with you being a productive member of society.

It costs money to get a government ID that some families cannot afford or there are ridiculous legal issues associated with getting the ID. That's why 3 million Americans don't have one.

It's an unnecessary impediment to voting. Personally, I think that Washington's mail-only voter system, which is sent directly to the voter's legal residence, makes the most sense. It's a proven fact that they have the highest voter participation (40%) in the country. It prevents serious voter fraud (the only concern would be other people filling out your vote, but that's hardly going to be common, and unlikely given that it's a felony to tamper with ballots).

In all states, if you cannot afford your state ID the fees are free, all you have to do is ask. As for Washington, same as Oregon you have to register first and show ID.

The difference there of course is that the state allows DLs for illegals.

Last edited:
Sigh...

I'm not sure what's difficult to understand here. America was founded on several very basic principles. One is one person, one vote. That means everyone has an equal right to vote. You can't make it easier for some and more difficult for others. And the right to vote has nothing to do with your ability to make an informed vote. It has nothing to do with you being a productive member of society.

False....not every one has a right to vote that are in the US. Their are several groups that don't, felons and illegals top the list.

I honestly don't understand why anyone would object to showing ID when voting. It's just common sense.

False....not every one has a right to vote that are in the US. Their are several groups that don't, felons and illegals top the list.

And that has what exactly do to with the ability to read? I'm sorry, you can't just put out such a disparaging post, inferring that people who don't have ID's are somehow irresponsible or stupid and then fall back on "oh. i just meant felons and illegals)

That's seriously disturbing and not all that thinly veiled. And why exactly shouldn't felons be allowed to vote? They pay taxes. They're US citizens. And they've paid their due to society.

The problem with some Photo ID's is, for instance in the state of Washington, illegals can get a Washington drivers license which in turn can be used as identification to vote.
Although I agree there may be a burden on some citizens in getting a valid ID...they seem to be very few. I mean if a person can get things like food stamps and welfare without aid what is the problem with a valid voters ID? The fact is, IMO, a valid ID should be used to get government aid to help prevent fraud.

Oh, and by the way...I heard that North Carolina voting was up after their voter ID law went into effect? Is that true of not?
I guess it's a good thing the presidential election isn't decided strictly on the popular vote.

As you can see, your rhetoric is cute, but it doesn't work in a court, because courts aren't run on snappy one liners.

No, they are run by bought and paid for liberals. for the most part, and quit serving actual justice decades ago. You bigotry should not work in court but you apparently think it does.

To be fair, most cashings of checks aren't government related.

To be fair, that doesn't affect them requiring photo ID to provide their service.

It would be a poll tax if there was no alternative. As another poster said, there are in fact IDs that you can access for voter ID without paying for it. Regardless of the utility of the charge to be able to vote, if you were required to pay money to access your constitutional right to vote and had no option of avoiding the charge, it would be a poll tax.

You just defeated your own argument by saying that "there are IDs that you can access for voter ID without paying for it".

This being the case, where does that leave your argument of it being a poll tax?

What's this site called? Debate What?

Also - there's multiple options for voting that don't require adding your political lean. :roll:
If all else fails, that's why there's an "other-please explain" choice.

Next.

You must "lean" liberal with all that dancing you do to try and disguise your intent. If you did not mean to bring political leanings into it, why did you list them? Busted.

To be fair, that doesn't affect them requiring photo ID to provide their service.
I don't know where you're going here. Are you, for example, saying everyone should have inoculations because school children are required to have them? Explain?

As you do know, the voter ID law is required by government.

No, they are run by bought and paid for liberals. for the most part, and quit serving actual justice decades ago. You bigotry should not work in court but you apparently think it does.

If you were truly concerned by the appearance of a political power grab, you would be wondering why an all-Republican-led state specifically created bills that targeted demographics that were exclusively known to be typically Democrat.

You just defeated your own argument by saying that "there are IDs that you can access for voter ID without paying for it".

This being the case, where does that leave your argument of it being a poll tax?

Because my argument changed with new information that was provided later in the discussion. I was unaware that there were free ways to get a voter ID (I just used a driver's liscence to register), and when new facts are revealed to me, my opinion changes to match the reality of the situation.

Well, the Second Amendment plainly says "a well-regulated militia." I'm an advocate for gun rights (not necessarily for gun ownership, but if you want one and you are an emotionally stable person with no violent criminal record, bully for you if you do), but I do think there's obvious reasons why you want it to be "well-regulated." And the Supreme Court has agreed with this interpretation for a long time.

What the constitution plainly says is, "the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED".

Your hypocrisy is noted.

Sigh...

Throwing it back to the founders really clouds and possibly confuses a lot of issues. First, they never ever wanted women to vote. Only landowning white men. So no, not everyone had an equal right to vote and yes that made it very difficult for disabled or men with mental issues as they weren't productive members of society. So no vote for them. It then becomes even slipperier when we consider the second amendment and how they wanted that to work. Again, men and obviously it didn't matter if one was a criminal felon or mentally ill since several of the founding father were. Our Founding Fathers were harsh and not as kind as many like to think.

I don't know where you're going here. Are you, for example, saying everyone should have inoculations because school children are required to have them? Explain?

As you do know, the voter ID law is required by government.

If you can't figure it out, why should I help you?

As for the voter Id being a government item, can you say why many state governments have passed ID laws, only to have the feds strike them down. Another attempt to prevent states rights, denying voter ID when the local "government" decides it is justified.

Back
Top Bottom