• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Our Education System is Failing—Let's Speed That Up!

Loulit01

Leftist Filth
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

Texas Rejects Science Textbooks Over Climate Change, Evolution Lessons​

The Texas State Board of Education voted Friday to block science lessons published by eight companies from appearing on an influential statewide list of textbook providers, citing problems with the way they depicted climate change and evolution.

Some of the 15 elected board members raised issues with a book from publisher Discovery Education because it discussed how the U.S. isn’t energy independent and lags behind other nations in oil reserves. A biology textbook from McGraw Hill won approval only after the publisher agreed to remove some graphics depicting human and primate evolution.

“There is no evidence that an entirely different species can come from another species,” board member Evelyn Brooks said Tuesday during discussion of McGraw Hill’s biology textbook. The chairman of the board reminded Brooks that including creationism to appease religious families could be unconstitutional.

D’Alessio said a half-dozen members of the curriculum team spent a year-and-1/2 customizing Green Ninja’s project-based middle-school science curriculum for Texas students. The company celebrated when a panel of Texas teachers gave it a perfect score for meeting state standards—then watched this week as their hopes of being widely adopted in Texas crumbled.

“There are theories about fossil fuels, there are not agreed-upon facts,” board member Julie Pickren said Tuesday when discussing fifth-grade science materials from Savvas Learning Company. The materials, she said, depicted an anti-fossil-fuel position that “would have a detriment to the Texas GDP, the Texas economy, considering the amount of our GDP that is related to fossil fuels and the amount of our workforce.”
Stupid scientists didn't take the Texas economy into consideration.

• The following states require the Foundations of Reading test: Arkansas, Mississippi, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Massachusetts, and Ohio.
Please, God, kill me now.

The Texas State Board of Education voted Friday to block science lessons published by eight companies from appearing on an influential statewide list of textbook providers, citing problems with the way they depicted climate change and evolution.

Some of the 15 elected board members raised issues with a book from publisher Discovery Education because it discussed how the U.S. isn’t energy independent and lags behind other nations in oil reserves. A biology textbook from McGraw Hill won approval only after the publisher agreed to remove some graphics depicting human and primate evolution.

“There is no evidence that an entirely different species can come from another species,” board member Evelyn Brooks said Tuesday during discussion of McGraw Hill’s biology textbook. The chairman of the board reminded Brooks that including creationism to appease religious families could be unconstitutional.

D’Alessio said a half-dozen members of the curriculum team spent a year-and-1/2 customizing Green Ninja’s project-based middle-school science curriculum for Texas students. The company celebrated when a panel of Texas teachers gave it a perfect score for meeting state standards—then watched this week as their hopes of being widely adopted in Texas crumbled.

“There are theories about fossil fuels, there are not agreed-upon facts,” board member Julie Pickren said Tuesday when discussing fifth-grade science materials from Savvas Learning Company. The materials, she said, depicted an anti-fossil-fuel position that “would have a detriment to the Texas GDP, the Texas economy, considering the amount of our GDP that is related to fossil fuels and the amount of our workforce.”

• The following states require the Foundations of Reading test: Arkansas, Mississippi, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Massachusetts, and Ohio.
Loulit01, OMG!!! Did we not do this same exact thing the 1960's? I vividly remember the push to remove Evolution from our middle school science classrooms. Pissed my Evangelical parents off to no end that I got to learn about fact base "science" instead of other stuff.

How does it benefit todays children to wipe the ugly out of our human history? Can't be done. And folks (and history) will NEVER forget. Like EVER.

I just sat down after checking the temperature, 20 degrees centigrade, and if I was a religious person I would be praying for more rapid global warming.
With 2 heavy coats on, I'm still shivering. Guess I'll have to go start a fire and take some warm food out to our monkeys. They enjoy boiled eggs and warm their hands with them before peeling and eating them.

The GOP literally hates America.

Neoluddites.

A bain and a pox that would be funny only in a skit.
Thanks! I just learned a new word today cause I had to look it up! Cool! (y) I'm not gonna tell, so the rest of y'all who said WTF have to look it up and learn it too!!!:LOL:

Well Texas is messed up, so forget them........
Why should teachers, after 4 years of college, be tested on "basic skills" ???? Teachers through the 20th century weren't, and they taught well I think...........It is not how educated a teacher is that makes them good, --if that was the case then all the PHDs out there would make excellent school teachers (the opposite is true).......

And I do not believe the Wisconsin one----doesn't make sense at all. Again, if they have a degree, they can read.

Try to figure out why there is a national teacher shortage first......

The history of Luddites might soften views on them a bit. The move
Why should teachers, after 4 years of college, be tested on "basic skills" ???? Teachers through the 20th century weren't, and they taught well I think...........It is not how educated a teacher is that makes them good, --if that was the case then all the PHDs out there would make excellent school teachers (the opposite is true).......

And I do not believe the Wisconsin one----doesn't make sense at all. Again, if they have a degree, they can read.

There's a national teacher shortage because the education system is failing and many have lost respect for the profession. So the answer is not to improve the system or raise the standards, the answer is to eliminate the standards. My sister the teacher told me that.

The history of Luddites might soften views on them a bit. The move

There's a national teacher shortage because the education system is failing and many have lost respect for the profession. So the answer is not to improve the system or raise the standards, the answer is to eliminate the standards. My sister the teacher told me that.
I taught many decades in public & private schools.
What does she mean by "elim. the standards??" I think I would agree, but I just don't understand for sure.......

What does she mean by "elim. the standards??" I think I would agree, but I just don't understand for sure.......
The FORT test is a standard. Wisconson is going to eliminate it.

The edTPa is a standard. NJ eliminated it. No NJ wants to end the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators: Reading, Writing and Math.

My sister passed those tests and went on to get her MA. Because there were many children of immigrants in her district she qualified for licenses to teach English as a Second Language and Bilingual Education.

She was always upset when politicians made it easier to become a teacher. How does that advance the profession?

Sounds to me like eliminate the old standard ways of teaching which would include Evolution and slavery and our theft of the land of the American Indians, and....smh...

Thanks! I just learned a new word today cause I had to look it up! Cool! (y) I'm not gonna tell, so the rest of y'all who said WTF have to look it up and learn it too!!!:LOL:

But then I misspelled "bane" as "bain" so I only get half credit., if that.

The FORT test is a standard. Wisconson is going to eliminate it.

The edTPa is a standard. NJ eliminated it. No NJ wants to end the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators: Reading, Writing and Math.

My sister passed those tests and went on to get her MA. Because there were many children of immigrants in her district she qualified for licenses to teach English as a Second Language and Bilingual Education.

She was always upset when politicians made it easier to become a teacher. How does that advance the profession?
agree-------but to get at the root of the issue as to wht there is a shortage would take too much time, effort, money and likely cost votes............so the easy way out will happen

You might be surprised how many people can get a degree in education with very little knowledge of basic skills, common sense, organizational skills, etc.

The pay isn't great in most instances, the parents are hard to deal with sometimes, many of the kids were never taught to respect authority or their peers or themselves making each day stressful, busy and exhausting.

Back
Top Bottom