• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

On prank call, Wis. governor discusses strategy

way off topic, and way too personal for me usually to comment on

but chris hanson's predator physically makes me cringe

in my opinion, one must almost be a sadist to watch it

journalism as low as the sexual abuse of children, my opinion

please carry on, please take no note of my view of this zoomed in crucifixion of those who but for the grace of...

You have to be kidding me. That show is getting child molesters off the street and into prison. I am all for that show, and I commend them for what they are doing.

How mad was Zyphlin or Ockham during the ACORN scandal? I disagree with you anyway, it is just undercover work. I don't think Dateline NBC's: To Catch a Predator is sad because they trick pedophiles.

I'm not mad about this incident... it's a valid tactic. The funny part here is, we've learned very little more than we already knew after a supposed prank phone call -- the guy is genuine. I won't fault the tactics of making up a false identity and getting someone to let their guard down to get at the truth. There are moral and ethical questions surrounding that but I don't think those issues usually over-ride the requirement to get at the truth - but there are lines you don't cross in the extremes. I have no problem with tricking pedophiles, showing their faces on tv and outing them nationally. I think that should be done in every state all the time.

It's up to Scott Walker to be smart about what he's doing and if he is not genuine about his goals or he's pulling a fast one on the people of WI, they should know it. Apparently though, he is genuine and these bloggers blew their load and got no big scoop.

I wonder what would happen if Obama was caught having a private conversation with Rahm Emmanuel discussing planting some of his people in Sarah Palin events. FOX News and conservatives would have a field day talking about Chicago style politics and how corrupt Obama is. I guess since it's not a Democrat politician doing this, it's not a big deal.

What are you even talking about? :rofl

What are you even talking about? :rofl

What tools can we give you so that you can understand a simple concept? I guess minorities from Louisiana just don't understand simple sentences.

Err, I think the more interesting issue is how this all shows the governor's goal isn't fiscal rebalancing, it's union-busting. The union offered to accept all the financial issues but keep their collective bargaining rights. He wouldn't agree.

If the goal was really deficit reduction, why wouldn't he take that deal?

What tools can we give you so that you can understand a simple concept? I guess minorities from Louisiana just don't understand simple sentences.

Moderator's Warning:
Don't do this, it is not needed.

That must be it. Where you from? Anyway?

Moderator's Warning:
Don't do this, it is not needed.

Why not? If he can say minorities vote democrat in order to get money, I can say minorities in Louisiana are dumb considering the state has some of the lowest high school graduation rates in the continental US.

I don't speak fluid strawman, only broken and you seem to have a red herring dialect. How does this have anything to do with the topic or are you changing the subject?

Why not? If he can say minorities vote democrat in order to get money, I can say minorities in Louisiana are dumb considering the state has some of the lowest high school graduation rates in the continental US.

Louisiana has more minorities that any other state in the country, so if you want to go down that road, feel free. People call me a racist?

I don't speak fluid strawman, only broken and you seem to have a red herring dialect.

What was the straw man? I gave a perfect scenario where this would certainly be a big deal. If Obama had been caught making statements about planting people at Sarah Palin events, we'd have 100 threads on it about the corruption of Obama. Seems there is a clear double standard here. Conservatives keep getting caught creating false scenarios in order to entrap people and it's not a big deal. That is, until somebody does it to them.

Last edited:
Louisiana has more minorities that any other state in the country, so if you want to go down that road, feel free. People call me a racist?

You still don't get the meaning of the sentence? No surprises there.

I have not listened to the call because of the underhanded way the information was extracted. I find it low and unnecessary. And Okham is right... it's not new information as it's obvious as day that politicians these days easily forget that they are elected to represent "the people" and not themselves.

I have not listened to the call because of the underhanded way the information was extracted. I find it low and unnecessary. And Okham is right... it's not new information as it's obvious as day that politicians these days easily forget that they are elected to represent "the people" and not themselves.

it was low and unnecessary....however, it was pretty fuuny to hear scott walker compare himself to reagan.

What was the straw man?
It started with "I wonder what would happen if... "

I gave a perfect scenario where this would certainly be a big deal. If Obama had been caught making statements about planting people at Sarah Palin events, we'd have 100 threads on it about the corruption of Obama.
And a if a frog could walk it would bump it's ass a hoppin'.... But let's address that for a moment. You're serious comparing what the President of the United States would say/do planting people at events...(which never happened btw) to the WI Governor supposedly doing the same thing, which also never happened. Do we get 3-D glasses and a popcorn with that?

Seems there is a clear double standard here.
There's no standard all since your scenario's in both cases are completly fictional.

Conservatives keep getting caught creating false scenarios in order to entrap people and it's not a big deal. That is, until somebody does it to them.
No clue what your referring to ... more accusations of things that don't happen? I think you need to re-write your scenario's and maybe, just maybe base them in fact and reality.

Moderator's Warning:
1) you cannot, ever, question moderator actions inthread

2) both you and aspdt need to stick to the topic and not each other

On prank call, Wis. governor discusses strategy - Yahoo! News

MADISON, Wis. – On a prank call that quickly spread across the Internet, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker was duped into discussing his strategy to cripple public employee unions, promising never to give in and joking that he would use a baseball bat in his office to go after political opponents.

Walker believed the caller was a conservative billionaire named David Koch, but it was actually the editor of a liberal online newspaper. The two talked for at least 20 minutes — a conversation in which the governor described several potential ways to pressure Democrats to return to the Statehouse and revealed that his supporters had considered secretly planting people in pro-union protest crowds to stir up trouble. snip

On the call, the governor said he was ratcheting up the pressure on Senate Democrats to return to the Capitol a week after they fled to block the legislation. He said he supported a move to require them to come to the Capitol to pick up their paychecks rather than have the money deposited directly.

He also floated an idea to lure Democratic senators back to the Capitol for negotiations and then have the Senate quickly pass the bill while they are in talks.Walker said aides were reviewing whether the GOP could hold a vote if Democrats were not physically in the Senate chamber but elsewhere in the building. At the news conference, he insisted that idea was not a trick but an effort to get Democrats back to work.

Democrats seized on Walker's recorded comments as evidence that the governor plans to go beyond budget cuts to crushing unions.

snip

]The remarks showed Walker's private relationship with David Koch.[/SIZE] He and his brother, Charles, own Koch Industries Inc., which is the largest privately-owned company in America and has significant operations in Wisconsin.
Its political action committee gave $43,000 to Walker's campaign, and David Koch gave $1 million to the Republican Governors' Association, which funded ads attacking Walker's opponent in last year's election.

The Kochs also give millions to support Americans For Prosperity, a conservative business group that launched a $320,000 television ad campaign in favor of Walker's legislation Wednesday. When the caller asked how he could help, Walker suggested outside groups could try to influence people to call their lawmakers and spread the message that his proposal is necessary. On the recording, after Walker said he would be willing to meet with Democratic leaders, the caller said he should bring a baseball bat to negotiations.

Bolded are lies. Red are big fat lies. Underlined, possible lies but maybe just partisan hackery.

Last edited:

Walker cleary showed in the tape that he does represent "the people" as individuals. No matter how you feel about unions is it right to force individuals to join them and pay dues? What Walter is proposing would give workers a choice. They could choose to join/stay in and pay dues or they could opt out. There would be an election each year so you could opt out or in. Of course the Union leaders want none of this. They want the money and it's not about the workers.

WATCHDOG EXPLORING CAMPAIGN FINANCE AND ETHICS LAW-BREAKING BY SCOTT WALKER DURING FAKE CALL WITH BILLIONAIRE

Gov. Walker: “After this in some of the coming days and weeks ahead, particularly in some of these more swing areas, a lot of these guys are going to need, they don’t need initially ads for them, but they’re going to need a message out. Reinforcing why this was a good thing to do for the economy, a good thing to do for the state. So to the extent that message is out over and over again is certainly a good thing.”
Ian Murphy (posing as David Koch): “Right, right. We’ll back you any way we can.”

Is this all they got? Good luck with that.

i agree, they only thing walker did to damage himself was compare himself to reagan. oh, and make it clear he was all about union busting.

How was Reagan all about union busting?

make it clear he was all about union busting.

Is it wrong for him to be about "union busting" if its a perfectly viable and allowable action within the rules of his state?

Back
Top Bottom