• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Old sayings- words of wit or wisdom or skewering someone/thing. Local, regional, used

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Old sayings- words of wit or wisdom or skewering someone/thing.
Local, regional, used in the past, what your parents may have used.

Sly like a fox

Ain't worth spit.

Like a bull in a china shop

Putting the fox in charge of the hen house.

So tight he squeaks when he walks

Crooked as a dogs hind leg

Got the first penny he made.

Re: Old sayings- words of wit or wisdom or skewering someone/thing. Local, regional,

Finer than frog's hair
Slicker than snot
Sharp as a marble

Re: Old sayings- words of wit or wisdom or skewering someone/thing. Local, regional,

Finer than frog's hair
Slicker than snot
Sharp as a marble

Frog hair, never heard that one before. No idea of what it means.
Sounds dammed fine though.

In high cotton!
So poor you don't have a pot to pi$$ in, or a window to throw it out of!
God willing, and the creek don't rise!
Aint got no couth!
All the taste you have is in your mouth!

That knife cuts both ways.

Frog hair, never heard that one before. No idea of what it means.
Sounds dammed fine though.

I've never understood "Cute as a button". What's so cute about buttons?

One of my favorites was something my grandfather used when things were getting hectic - "Head for the roundhouse, Nelly. He can't corner you there!"

Drunker than Cooter Brown

Like a herd of dirty turtles headed for water.

Ain't got the sense that God gave ya.

One of my favorites was something my grandfather used when things were getting hectic - "Head for the roundhouse, Nelly. He can't corner you there!"

CUTE AS A BUTTON - "cute, charming, attractive, almost always with the connotation of being small, 1868 (from the original 1731 English meaning of 'acute' or clever). Cute as a bug's ear, 1930; cute as a bug in a rug, 1942; cute as a button, 1946. Cute and keen were two of the most overused slang words of the late 1920s and 1930s." From "Listening to America" by Stuart Berg Flexner (Simon and Schuster, New York, 1992.)

Flexner may have an idea about the word "cute," but he provides no guidance on the question of how a button can be cute. The key to the issue is that it is not the button on a shirt that is meant here, but a flower bud seen in the popular name of small flowers, such as bachelor's button (q.v. "button" (n) in the OED, meanings 2 and 3).

The British version is "bright as a button". This makes sense if you think of a polished brass button. The phrase is really only ever used of small people - you'd say that a child, or maybe a small dog, was as bright as a button, but you'd never say it of a six-foot man. So the image is of a small sparky thing.

etymology - Cute as a button - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange

We have a Church in PEI.
So the Devil can't corner you.

Sweeter than peaches!

haven't seen you in a coons age!

knee high to a grasshopper!

People drink to lower their inhibitions, You really should not drink!

Sober as a Judge.

Someone sent me the link to this lady demolishing like 12 lbs of steak.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESCB_-8L994
I told them she is clearly cut from a different cloth!

He went thru him like sxxx thru a goose.
Drunk as a skunk.

That dog don't hunt.

Carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. One that has a lot of problems to deal with.

Nothing will make that man/woman happy, nothing at all.

there was a saying "adversity builds character"
My own modification,
"adversity reveals character"

This would be appropriate
Eats like she has a hollow leg.

Or those that have no table manners

Table manners of a pig.

Sweeter than peaches!

haven't seen you in a coons age!

knee high to a grasshopper!

People drink to lower their inhibitions, You really should not drink!

And those famous sayings.

"Sweating more than a whore in Sunday school"

"colder than witch's tit" or "colder than a well digger's ass"

Those that can, do, those that can't teach!
The devil is in the details!

Boys that dress in blue jeans and Tee shirts, act blue jeans and tee shirts, and are dealt with accordingly:
Sister Mary Theresa

I know it shouldn't be this way but that video and this thread only make me think "Suck the chrome off a bumper hitch".

Last edited:

I know it shouldn't be this way but that video and this thread only make me think "Suck the chrome off a bumper hitch".

Or a bowling ball through a garden hose.....

Day late and a dollar short
In for a penny, in for a pound.

Thinks to much of himself.

Not to much thinking going on up there.

nothing in this world worth having, comes easy

or

nothing worth having is free....gotta work for it, or at it

a man's friendship's are the best measure of his worth

that one is from my grand dad.....

Sly like a fox

Ain't worth spit.

Poor George. He was born with a silver foot in his mouth.
---Governor Ann Richards about George W. Bush, governor candidate

Sly like a fox

Ain't worth spit.

Like a tick on a dog. (stuck on anything or anyone....stubborn..won't change the subject....)

He was born in the sticks. (in the country)

Take him out back to the woodshed. (teach him a lesson)

I gave him what for.

And that's the name of that tune. (and there you have it)

Back
Top Bottom