• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama in "final stages" of closing Gitmo plan

MrT

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The Obama administration is in the "final stages of drafting a plan to safely and responsibly" close the terrorist prison at Guantanamo Bay, White House press secretary Josh Earnest said Wednesday.

"That has been something that our national security officials have been working on for quite some time...Continuing to operate that prison is not an effective use of our taxpayer resources, and it certainly is not consistent with our national security interests," Earnest said Wednesday.

Any plan would have to be approved by Congress, which has placed significant obstacles in the way of transferring detainees out of the prison.

Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, has opened the door in Congress for the administration to submit a plan to close the prison in exchange for tightening restrictions on transferring detainees abroad. But it's considered unlikely the measure will gain enough support from other Republicans to pass.

Obama in 'final stages' of planning the Gitmo closing - CNNPolitics.com

It is long past time to close Gitmo. It is used as a recruiting tool and creating more terrorists than it contains or stops. Hopefully Obama will be able to fulfill a political promise that has been on hold since day one.

It is used as a recruiting tool and creating more terrorists than it contains or stops.

Where is the evidence suggesting that this ridiculous assertion is even remotely true?

the obama administration is in the "final stages of drafting a plan to safely and responsibly" close the terrorist prison at guantanamo bay, white house press secretary josh earnest said wednesday.

"that has been something that our national security officials have been working on for quite some time...continuing to operate that prison is not an effective use of our taxpayer resources, and it certainly is not consistent with our national security interests," earnest said wednesday.

Any plan would have to be approved by congress, which has placed significant obstacles in the way of transferring detainees out of the prison.

Sen. John mccain, r-arizona, has opened the door in congress for the administration to submit a plan to close the prison in exchange for tightening restrictions on transferring detainees abroad. But it's considered unlikely the measure will gain enough support from other republicans to pass.

obama in 'final stages' of planning the gitmo closing - cnnpolitics.com

it is long past time to close gitmo. It is used as a recruiting tool and creating more terrorists than it contains or stops. Hopefully obama will be able to fulfill a political promise that has been on hold since day one.

good!

The Obama administration is in the "final stages of drafting a plan to safely and responsibly" close the terrorist prison at Guantanamo Bay, White House press secretary Josh Earnest said Wednesday.

"That has been something that our national security officials have been working on for quite some time...Continuing to operate that prison is not an effective use of our taxpayer resources, and it certainly is not consistent with our national security interests," Earnest said Wednesday.

Any plan would have to be approved by Congress, which has placed significant obstacles in the way of transferring detainees out of the prison.

Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, has opened the door in Congress for the administration to submit a plan to close the prison in exchange for tightening restrictions on transferring detainees abroad. But it's considered unlikely the measure will gain enough support from other Republicans to pass.

It is long past time to close Gitmo. It is used as a recruiting tool and creating more terrorists than it contains or stops. Hopefully Obama will be able to fulfill a political promise that has been on hold since day one.

6 years to draft a plan. Impressive.:roll:

6 years to draft a plan. Impressive.:roll:

To be fair, Obama has tried for many years to shift many of these prisoners to US federal prisons, but Congress passed a law which banned that option several years ago. That cut off a pretty obvious plan. And to complicate the matter, there are several individuals at Gitmo that the Obama administration does not want to release, even to a prison from their home country.

If that is a good start then no evidence exists that GITMO recruits more terrorists. Everything in that article is assertions from the West....nothing in that article even points to evidence suggesting that a SINGLE terrorist was created merely from GITMO existing.

Try again. Next time actually read your own source instead of just posting the first article in a google search. :roll:

Joe Biden said so!
Torture and abuse are against my moral fabric. The cliche still bears repeating: Such outrages are inconsistent with American principles. And then there's the pragmatic side: Torture and abuse cost American lives.

I learned in Iraq that the No. 1 reason foreign fighters flocked there to fight were the abuses carried out at Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo. Our policy of torture was directly and swiftly recruiting fighters for al-Qaeda in Iraq. The large majority of suicide bombings in Iraq are still carried out by these foreigners. They are also involved in most of the attacks on U.S. and coalition forces in Iraq. It's no exaggeration to say that at least half of our losses and casualties in that country have come at the hands of foreigners who joined the fray because of our program of detainee abuse. The number of U.S. soldiers who have died because of our torture policy will never be definitively known, but it is fair to say that it is close to the number of lives lost on Sept. 11, 2001.

I'm Still Tortured by What I Saw in Iraq

Torture and abuse are against my moral fabric. The cliche still bears repeating: Such outrages are inconsistent with American principles. And then there's the pragmatic side: Torture and abuse cost American lives.

I learned in Iraq that the No. 1 reason foreign fighters flocked there to fight were the abuses carried out at Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo. Our policy of torture was directly and swiftly recruiting fighters for al-Qaeda in Iraq. The large majority of suicide bombings in Iraq are still carried out by these foreigners. They are also involved in most of the attacks on U.S. and coalition forces in Iraq. It's no exaggeration to say that at least half of our losses and casualties in that country have come at the hands of foreigners who joined the fray because of our program of detainee abuse. The number of U.S. soldiers who have died because of our torture policy will never be definitively known, but it is fair to say that it is close to the number of lives lost on Sept. 11, 2001.

I'm Still Tortured by What I Saw in Iraq

I didn't know Joe Biden changed his name. When did he do that?

I didn't know Joe Biden changed his name. When did he do that?
Derp...."I can't understand that lots of other folks, who probably communicated this concept up the chain, also confirm that GITMO is in fact a tool for recruitment."

Joe Biden said so!

Greetings, tres borrachos. :2wave:

How many terrorists are we still holding there, and after six years, why now - since it does seem to coincide with the decision to become "friendly" with Cuba after all these years - which should be a good thing for the Cuban people if nothing else!

"I am not responsible for what I imply, jus' say'in"

implied-main-idea-1-728.jpg

Implied Face Palm
tommy-lee-jones-implied-face-palm.png

BOb's right. It's better to hit them with Hellfire missiles or leave them in third-word prisons where they can get the crap beaten out of them instead of bringing them to Gitmo where they get three squares a day, a copy of the Koran, a cot, a prayer blanket, free medical care, an exercise yard, and a lawyer.

Greetings, tres borrachos. :2wave:

How many terrorists are we still holding there, and after six years, why now - since it does seem to coincide with the decision to become "friendly" with Cuba after all these years - which should be a good thing for the Cuban people if nothing else!

A substantial number of those that were held at GITMO were there for bogus reasons up to and including rewards so people turned people in. And poof, you were in GITMO or some other black site

About God damn time.

Where is the evidence suggesting that this ridiculous assertion is even remotely true?

Logically it makes sense, but you are correct no evidence was offered.

As for the announcement, good!

A substantial number of those that were held at GITMO were there for bogus reasons up to and including rewards so people turned people in. And poof, you were in GITMO or some other black site

Greetings, Janfu. :2wave:

Did no one verify anything before locking them up and throwing away the key? It bothered people when five known terrorists were exchanged for Bergdahl - why were those chosen instead of those who maybe shouldn't have been there in the first place? I guess they weren't as "valuable" to those making the demands? Weird!

This should have been done years ago. Hell, Gitmo should never have been used like this in the first place.

Logically it makes sense, but you are correct no evidence was offered.

As for the announcement, good!

How does it make logical sense? How would going to prison indefinitely make one want to become a terrorist? Has GITMO ever been attacked? Did terrorism precede GITMO, or was it the other way around?

How in the HELL does it make logical sense?

How does it make logical sense? How would going to prison indefinitely make one want to become a terrorist? Has GITMO ever been attacked? Did terrorism precede GITMO, or was it the other way around?

How in the HELL does it make logical sense?

Seeing as how you summarily rejected my initial proof because it consisted of "assertions from the west" (on a related note: Does that mean that the only acceptable piece of evidence for you would be a direct quote from a jihadist?), I'll go ahead and answer this logically (as opposed to the inane questions you asked).

The reason that Gitmo as a recruitment tool logically makes sense is that recruiters, while talking to potential recruits, might say something along the lines of, "The Americans are not your friends. Look at how they have locked up your brothers in that prison in Guantanemo Bay without so much as offering them a trial. Look at the photos of humiliation and torture which the Americans have done to your fellow Muslims. Come join us and avenge your fellow brothers."

Would a recruitment speech like that qualify as using Gitmo as a recruitment tool?

Back
Top Bottom