• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama has said David Cameron allowed Libya to become a 's*** show'

I agree reinoe, Libya is not the crapfest Iraq is. If the rebels were just "terrorists affiliated with terrorists" it would be" the crapfest Iraq is". They wouldn't have had 2 elections. The two sides wouldn't each have set up their own parliaments. The two sides wouldn’t each have backing from countries that we are friendly with. And Libyans are not streaming out of the country like Iraq. Libyans didn’t even make the top 30 of refugees seeking asylum in Europe in 2014. They were 30th in 2015. Syria is of course is the worst. Iraq is amazingly in the top 10.

Migrant crisis: Migration to Europe explained in seven charts - BBC News

And you just can’t say there was a lack of planning from us in Libya because it was clear from the beginning we were not going to get involved internally in Libya. Based on President Obama’s statements it seems he was expecting something more from Britain and France after the strikes. And the rival sides have backing from countries that could work out a deal if they chose to. Turkey and Qatar support one side and Egypt and UAE support the other. 5 years after the rebellion there just isn't people fleeing their homeland anything like Syria and Iraq. The two sides are going to have to resolve their differences and deal with ISIL or it will get worse. Those are simply the risks involved with deposing a murderous dictator. Its a shame how its turned out so far in Libya but our role was limited. That's a good thing right?

And look at the quotes below. that's hardcore revisionist history.

Hey we agree !

Obama's Iraq policy is far worse in terms of outcomes than his Libya policy.

In 2011 he called Iraq " stable, sovereign and Democratic " and then h destabilised it.

Pulled out all US military assets and did NOTHING as ISIS ran roughshod though once liberated towns killing men, women and children.

But Lybia being the lesser of two evils isn't much to hang your hat on. It's still a disaster.

Maybe you weren't alive in 2011, but Obama did not take the lead in Libya, England and France did. From a 2014 Rand Corp. report:

For several reasons, however, the international role in Libya was limited and the majority of post-conflict reconstruction was left up to the Libyans themselves. First, because NATO adopted an airpowerheavy strategy, ground forces were limited to small numbers of special forces from Europe and the Gulf States. Precision airpower allowed NATO to avoid large numbers of civilian deaths, keep costs down, and ensure it was the rebels themselves who took the capital. The limited number of ground forces, however, also greatly reduced the extent of control and influence that NATO and its partners could exert after
Qaddafi was gone. The question was whether to deploy forces, not whether to withdraw them.

Second, in contrast with NATO operations in Afghanistan and U.S. coalition operations in Iraq, the impetus for the intervention in Libya came in large part from France and Britain. Although President
Obama supported the operation, he emphasized to his French and British counterparts that they would be expected to take the lead and bear as much of the cost as they could. The United States would
support the effort, but provide only those capabilities it “uniquely” possessed. This arrangement also set the stage for a much-reduced U.S. role after the war.
http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RR500/RR577/RAND_RR577.pdf

Obama is correct, the primary failure in post war Libya is on England and France. It was clearly stated up front it was their back yard, and they were supposed to take care of it. The US was already stretched in Afghanistan and running big deficits.

Obama is correct, the primary failure in post war Libya is on England and France. It was clearly stated up front it was their back yard, and they were supposed to take care of it. The US was already stretched in Afghanistan and running big deficits.
So Hillary lied when she stated "We came, we saw, he died"?

Maybe you weren't alive in 2011, but Obama did not take the lead in Libya, England and France did. From a 2014 Rand Corp. report:

http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RR500/RR577/RAND_RR577.pdf

Nonsense,

Obama's a liar.

Oh sure France and Britain were the driving force behind the invasion...Lol.

They bailed out of Benghazi along with the Red Cross when they could no longer protect their people while Hillary kept people behind.

Obama's Lybian policy was based around shoring up a manufactured political narrative, that's it.

Obama needed a Foreign policy success for the 2012 election to run on no matter how dangerous Lybia had become.

It's why he and Hillary chose to keep personel in Benghazi even after a 12 foot hole had been blown in the compound wall 2 weeks prior. Even after all other Nations had abandoned it.

The Benghazi attack forced his administration to abandon Lybia and he never looked back as Jihadist took control.

He never gave a **** about the Lybian people or the region. It was simply a failed phot op, a disastrous and irresponsible gamble for the sake of Political expediency and now he's trying save face by blaming Britain and France.

His legacy is in shambles and the best he can do is to blame and hope it sticks. It won't.

That's funny, most wingers like that Obama took out Gadaffi. And since when have the wingers concerned themselves with the plight of a country after we've finished and withdrawn our military. Just another opportunity to jump on Obama. Do you know who UN1973 charged with the follow up responsibility in Libya?

I think the main point here is that a political leader is extremely stupid to make a comment like this to a reporter. He can think it all he wants but you don't dish fellow leaders, potential allies, like this.
(And I never saw anything good about taking out Gadaffi. Can't speak for anyone else but I don't recall much elation except for from Hillary. And I am opposed to US relying 100% on WMD on any other country.) (I use the WMD term since the term originated with the aerial bombing done by the Germans and fascists in Guernica, Spain.)

Krauthammer agreed with Obama, reluctantly .

Nonsense,

Obama's a liar.

They bailed out of Benghazi along with the Red Cross when they could no longer protect their people while Hillary kept people behind.

Obama's Lybian policy was based around shoring up a manufactured political narrative, that's it.

Obama needed a Foreign policy success for the 2012 election to run on no matter how dangerous Lybia had become.

It's why he and Hillary chose to keep personel in Benghazi even after a 12 foot hole had been blown in the compound wall 2 weeks prior. Even after all other Nations had abandoned it.

The Benghazi attack forced his administration to abandon Lybia and he never looked back as Jihadist took control.

He never gave a **** about the Lybian people or the region. It was simply a failed phot op, a disastrous and irresponsible gamble for the sake of Political expediency and now he's trying save face by blaming Britain and France.

His legacy is in shambles and the best he can do is to blame and hope it sticks. It won't.

I have posted a creditable report from Rand Corp. which has been involved in US foreign affairs consulting since at least the '60's, which states the US would support England and France.

You have posted only your personal opinions, without support. Come back when you have some creditable support.

Nonsense,

Obama's a liar.

Fenton, I understand your need to believe what you post. Your brain simply responds to fear and anger. Its why you will always believe the mish mosh lies and spin you are told. Even after its been disproven. Mix in your ODS and it perfectly explains your posts. But this is still a debate forum. You should attempt to least have an inkling of the facts before you post. maybe if you read one of the 7 Benghazi investigation reports you would have learned this:

"The Board found that Ambassador Stevens made the decision to travel to Benghazi independently of Washington, per standard practice........His status as the leading U.S. government advocate on Libya policy, and his expertise on Benghazi in particular, caused Washington to give unusual deference to his judgments. "

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/images/12/18/202446.pdf

And as already posted, France and Britain were the driving force for intervention. I'll let you figure out whats wrong with " the driving force behind the invasion". But your ODS will always be the driving force behind your posts. Its why you so obediently believed the vile and disgusting stand down lies and why you refuse to acknowledge that they were vile and disgusting lies.

Progressives shape the truth according to their ideology instead of shaping their ideology according to the truth. Truth is malleable to them.

You were so close Fenton. Just take a look at who's posting things in this thread because they wish they were true and who's posting the facts.

I have posted a creditable report from Rand Corp. which has been involved in US foreign affairs consulting since at least the '60's, which states the US would support England and France.

You have posted only your personal opinions, without support. Come back when you have some creditable support.

:roll:

" Tonight, I’d like to update the American people on the international effort that we have led in Libya –- what we’ve done, what we plan to do, and why this matters to us..........."

" Mindful of the risks and costs of military action, we are naturally reluctant to use force to solve the world’s many challenges. But when our interests and values are at stake, we have a responsibility to act. That’s what happened in Libya over the course of these last six weeks. "

" Confronted by this brutal repression and a looming humanitarian crisis, I ordered warships into the Mediterranean "

" And so at my direction, America led an effort with our allies at the United Nations Security Council to pass a historic resolution that authorized a no-fly zone to stop the regime’s attacks from the air, and further authorized all necessary measures to protect the Libyan people."

Fenton, I understand your need to believe what you post. Your brain simply responds to fear and anger. Its why you will always believe the mish mosh lies and spin you are told. Even after its been disproven. Mix in your ODS and it perfectly explains your posts. But this is still a debate forum. You should attempt to least have an inkling of the facts before you post. maybe if you read one of the 7 Benghazi investigation reports you would have learned this:

"The Board found that Ambassador Stevens made the decision to travel to Benghazi independently of Washington, per standard practice........His status as the leading U.S. government advocate on Libya policy, and his expertise on Benghazi in particular, caused Washington to give unusual deference to his judgments. "

Lol !!! Stevens went rogue then ??

Clinton: I'm responsible for diplomats' security - CNN.com

And as already posted, France and Britain were the driving force for intervention. I'll let you figure out whats wrong with " the driving force behind the invasion". But your ODS will always be the driving force behind your posts. Its why you so obediently believed the vile and disgusting stand down lies and why you refuse to acknowledge that they were vile and disgusting lies.

Repeating a lie doesn't turn it into truth VERN. You should know that by now after getting crushed in all those Sub-prime debates.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/03/28/remarks-president-address-nation-libya

" Mindful of the risks and costs of military action, we are naturally reluctant to use force to solve the world’s many challenges. But when our interests and values are at stake, we have a responsibility to act. That’s what happened in Libya over the course of these last six weeks....."

" And so at my direction, America led an effort with our allies at the United Nations Security Council to pass a historic resolution that authorized a no-fly zone to stop the regime’s attacks from the air, and further authorized all necessary measures to protect the Libyan people."

" We knew that if we wanted -- if we waited one more day, Benghazi, a city nearly the size of Charlotte, could suffer a massacre that would have reverberated across the region and stained the conscience of the world.
It was not in our national interest to let that happen. I refused to let that happen. And so nine days ago, after consulting the bipartisan leadership of Congress, I authorized military action to stop the killing and enforce U.N. Security Council Resolution 1973. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/22/world/africa/22powers.html?_r=0

Apparently Obama felt so strongly about Libyan Military intervention he by-passed Congress.

" Tonight, I’d like to update the American people on the international effort that we have led in Libya –- what we’ve done, what we plan to do, and why this matters to us..........."

" Mindful of the risks and costs of military action, we are naturally reluctant to use force to solve the world’s many challenges. But when our interests and values are at stake, we have a responsibility to act. That’s what happened in Libya over the course of these last six weeks. "

" Confronted by this brutal repression and a looming humanitarian crisis, I ordered warships into the Mediterranean "

Unfortunately your post fails to support the point that you are trying to make, that Libya is Obama's mistake, and that France and England were not the leaders in supporting the overthrow of Gaddafi. All that is shows is the US played a lead role, with England and France, is PASSING A UN RESOLUTION.

Now here's the timeline that refutes your contention, and supports Obama's that the chaos in Libya is due to England and France not living up to their commitments.

28 February 2011: British Prime Minister David Cameron proposed the idea of a no-fly zone to prevent Gaddafi from "airlifting mercenaries" and "using his military aeroplanes and armoured helicopters against civilians."
1 March 2011: The US Senate unanimously passed non-binding Senate resolution S.RES.85 urging the United Nations Security Council to impose a Libyan no-fly zone
10 March 2011: France recognized the Libyan NTC as the legitimate government of Libya soon after Sarkozy met with them in Paris. This meeting was arranged by Bernard-Henri Lévy.[58]
11 March 2011: Cameron joined forces with Sarkozy after Sarkozy demanded immediate action from international community for a no-fly zone against air attacks by Gaddafi.
17 March 2011: The UN Security Council, approved a no-fly zone by a vote of ten in favour, zero against, and five abstentions,
19 March 2011: French forces began the military intervention in Libya, later joined by coalition forces with strikes against armoured units south of Benghazi
24 March 2011: In telephone negotiations, French foreign minister Alain Juppé agreed to let NATO take over all military operations

Initial NATO planning for a possible no-fly zone took place in late February and early March,[79] especially by NATO members France and the United Kingdom.[80] France and the UK were early supporters of a no-fly zone and had sufficient airpower to impose a no-fly zone over the rebel-held areas, although they might need additional assistance for a more extensive exclusion zone.

<snip>

France: French Air Force, which flew the highest percentage of NATO's strikes (35%)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_military_intervention_in_Libya

France was first in the air to attack Libya, and ended the conflict having flown the greatest number of missions. England ended up spending the most money on military action against Libya, its in that article.

This was led by England and France, with the US supporting them. England and France then failed to follow up with supporting the organization of a new govt. the way the US did in Afghanistan and Iraq (although we never should have gone into Iraq).

When Obama blames Cameron for Libya being a failed state, he's correct, England and France are primarily to blame. They started it, then didn't stick around to finish it.

Unfortunately your post fails to support the point that you are trying to make, that Libya is Obama's mistake, and that France and England were not the leaders in supporting the overthrow of Gaddafi. All that is shows is the US played a lead role, with England and France, is PASSING A UN RESOLUTION.

Now here's the timeline that refutes your contention, and supports Obama's that the chaos in Libya is due to England and France not living up to their commitments.

28 February 2011: British Prime Minister David Cameron proposed the idea of a no-fly zone to prevent Gaddafi from "airlifting mercenaries" and "using his military aeroplanes and armoured helicopters against civilians."
1 March 2011: The US Senate unanimously passed non-binding Senate resolution S.RES.85 urging the United Nations Security Council to impose a Libyan no-fly zone
10 March 2011: France recognized the Libyan NTC as the legitimate government of Libya soon after Sarkozy met with them in Paris. This meeting was arranged by Bernard-Henri Lévy.[58]
11 March 2011: Cameron joined forces with Sarkozy after Sarkozy demanded immediate action from international community for a no-fly zone against air attacks by Gaddafi.
17 March 2011: The UN Security Council, approved a no-fly zone by a vote of ten in favour, zero against, and five abstentions,
19 March 2011: French forces began the military intervention in Libya, later joined by coalition forces with strikes against armoured units south of Benghazi
24 March 2011: In telephone negotiations, French foreign minister Alain Juppé agreed to let NATO take over all military operations

Initial NATO planning for a possible no-fly zone took place in late February and early March,[79] especially by NATO members France and the United Kingdom.[80] France and the UK were early supporters of a no-fly zone and had sufficient airpower to impose a no-fly zone over the rebel-held areas, although they might need additional assistance for a more extensive exclusion zone.

<snip>

France: French Air Force, which flew the highest percentage of NATO's strikes (35%)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_military_intervention_in_Libya

France was first in the air to attack Libya, and ended the conflict having flown the greatest number of missions. England ended up spending the most money on military action against Libya, its in that article.

This was led by England and France, with the US supporting them. England and France then failed to follow up with supporting the organization of a new govt. the way the US did in Afghanistan and Iraq (although we never should have gone into Iraq).

When Obama blames Cameron for Libya being a failed state, he's correct, England and France are primarily to blame. They started it, then didn't stick around to finish it.

we definitely broke Iraq and we definitely left a vacuum that we own because we forced regime change on Iraq. In Libya, we assisted an organized and well funded rebellion over throw a murderous dictator.

Hussein was a far more "murderous dictator". quadaffi had surrendered and was trying to negotiate his exit but hillary wouldn't have it. We "assisted" what would become part of ISIS....

Typical Obama... he farks up (Libya, Iraq, Syria, Shovel Ready Jobs, Economy, releasing terrorists, ObamaKare, race issues...) and it's all news to him... either he doesn't know, heard it from the news... so it's news to him, or it's the fault of someone else.

There is now a 7-year history of incompetence and prevarication on the part of Barack Hussein Obama...

... his presidency can be summed up in one word... Pathetic.

:lamo They were soooooooo excited and happy when he got elected.

He blames Britain, for joining with us and following our lead, in Libya. Classic.

Libya's deterioration is not the result of a lack of follow-through. It is the result of a bad decision to facilitate regime change. The country has always been torn by tribal rivalries. Central authority helped keep them in check. Once the dictatorship was toppled, the country became an enormous power vacuum. As a result, those rivalries burst out into the open and radical Islamist elements opportunistically exploited the vacuum. The U.S. should not have intervened. No compelling U.S. interests were at stake, but there were big post-conflict risks due to Libya's structural realities.

Libya's deterioration is not the result of a lack of follow-through. It is the result of a bad decision to facilitate regime change. The country has always been torn by tribal rivalries. Central authority helped keep them in check. Once the dictatorship was toppled, the country became an enormous power vacuum. As a result, those rivalries burst out into the open and radical Islamist elements opportunistically exploited the vacuum. The U.S. should not have intervened. No compelling U.S. interests were at stake, but there were big post-conflict risks due to Libya's structural realities.

Whilst I agree with you to a degree, the Arab Spring was not a set of events invented and conducted by the Western powers. I guess some may disagree, but I think that the Arab Spring was more or less a spontaneous and unstoppable popular uprising. That was going to cause disruption and political instability with or without the efforts of the US, France or the UK.

I agree with Obama that follow-through has been sorely lacking, but his administration is as much to blame as anyone else. He, Cameron and Sarkozy should all examine their inadequate responses to the fall of Gaddafi.

Whilst I agree with you to a degree, the Arab Spring was not a set of events invented and conducted by the Western powers. I guess some may disagree, but I think that the Arab Spring was more or less a spontaneous and unstoppable popular uprising. That was going to cause disruption and political instability with or without the efforts of the US, France or the UK.

I agree with Obama that follow-through has been sorely lacking, but his administration is as much to blame as anyone else. He, Cameron and Sarkozy should all examine their inadequate responses to the fall of Gaddafi.

I'm focused on Libya. Tunisia, which witnessed a genuine liberal uprising, is an entirely different matter and I fully believe the U.S. should aid Tunisia's government in building its governing capacity and in pursuing economic development.

Hussein was a far more "murderous dictator". quadaffi had surrendered and was trying to negotiate his exit but hillary wouldn't have it. We "assisted" what would become part of ISIS....

RH, I'm pretty sure Hussein was a far more murderous dictator. The hundred thousand kurds he gassed probably gave him an insurmountable lead. The problem was when he gassed them he was our "bestest pal" so we tried to blame Iran for it.

"the Reagan administration first blamed Iran, before acknowledging, under pressure from congressional Democrats, that the culprits were Saddam's own forces. "

https://www.fas.org/irp/congress/2002_cr/s092002.html

As far as your "Hillary" narrative goes, she was Sec of State. President Obama was in charge. Please post the "editorial" you base it on. And "part of ISIS" is pretty sad. ISIS is a direct result of our invasion of Iraq and leaving an Iranian puppet in charge.

In Their Own Words: Sunnis on Their Treatment in Maliki?s Iraq | The Rise of ISIS | FRONTLINE | PBS

I'm focused on Libya. Tunisia, which witnessed a genuine liberal uprising, is an entirely different matter and I fully believe the U.S. should aid Tunisia's government in building its governing capacity and in pursuing economic development.

Well, I don't think you can separate the events of the Arab Spring so neatly between countries. Tunisia's uprising was not a 'liberal' uprising as such, there were Islamist, nationalist, liberal and Marxist forces all at work. The balance of forces may have been different to those in Libya, but the nature of the uprising wasn't unique. Tunisia and Libya have a lot in common, as does Egypt, and Algeria, whose Arab Spring got nipped in the bud entirely.

Unfortunately your post fails to support the point that you are trying to make, that Libya is Obama's mistake, and that France and England were not the leaders in supporting the overthrow of Gaddafi. All that is shows is the US played a lead role, with England and France, is PASSING A UN RESOLUTION.Now here's the timeline that refutes your contention, and supports Obama's that the chaos in Libya is due to England and France not living up to their commitments. France was first in the air to attack Libya, and ended the conflict having flown the greatest number of missions. England ended up spending the most money on military action against Libya, its in that article.This was led by England and France, with the US supporting them. England and France then failed to follow up with supporting the organization of a new govt. the way the US did in Afghanistan and Iraq (although we never should have gone into Iraq).When Obama blames Cameron for Libya being a failed state, he's correct, England and France are primarily to blame. They started it, then didn't stick around to finish it.
It's not surprising that someone with a lack of character, like Barrack Obama, would try to weasel out of his earlier decisions and cast the blame elsewhere, as in Iraq, but what's astounding is that there are those who will remain loyalists. The first shot was fired by the US.

"A U.S. Predator drone operated from a base near Las Vegas[8] fired the first missiles at the convoy, hitting its target about 3 kilometres (2 mi) west of Sirte. Moments later, French Air Force Rafale fighter jets continued the bombing.[10] The NATO bombing immobilized much of the convoy and killed dozens of loyalist fighters."

Of course it was a tragic mistake getting rid of Gadaffi but this weaseling around the truth really makes it all the more shameful. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Muammar_Gaddafi

It's not surprising that someone with a lack of character, like Barrack Obama, would try to weasel out of his earlier decisions and cast the blame elsewhere, as in Iraq, but what's astounding is that there are those who will remain loyalists. The first shot was fired by the US.

"A U.S. Predator drone operated from a base near Las Vegas[8] fired the first missiles at the convoy, hitting its target about 3 kilometres (2 mi) west of Sirte. Moments later, French Air Force Rafale fighter jets continued the bombing.[10] The NATO bombing immobilized much of the convoy and killed dozens of loyalist fighters."

Of course it was a tragic mistake getting rid of Gadaffi but this weaseling around the truth really makes it all the more shameful. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Muammar_Gaddafi

France flew more missions than anyone, they flew 35% of the missions. England spent more money than the US. I posted a timeline of events earlier in this topic, France and England called for the no-fly zone first. Who fired first does not hold a candle to who flew the most missions, the French.

France flew more missions than anyone, they flew 35% of the missions. England spent more money than the US. I posted a timeline of events earlier in this topic, France and England called for the no-fly zone first. Who fired first does not hold a candle to who flew the most missions, the French.
So France flew more missions than anyone else. What does that really mean to you? That Obama acted responsibly and kept out of it?

Do you really trust Obama despite his list of international screw-ups and will still actually still try to cover for him? Gadaffi's people should have been as loyal.

Typical Obama... he farks up (Libya, Iraq, Syria, Shovel Ready Jobs, Economy, releasing terrorists, ObamaKare, race issues...) and it's all news to him... either he doesn't know, heard it from the news... so it's news to him, or it's the fault of someone else.

There is now a 7-year history of incompetence and prevarication on the part of Barack Hussein Obama...

... his presidency can be summed up in one word... Pathetic.

I thought Libya was handed over to NATO. which would still mean US involvement ( as part of nato ). the Secretary of Nato is from Norway and the Deputy Secretary is from the USA. The NATO Allied Air Command is headed by a US Airforce Lt General. Not sure why he is giving the UK blame.

Back
Top Bottom