• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NYPD dictators

Yeah.

They did that here in CT a couple years back, too. And I get it. People on the road is just asking for trouble, what with zero visability, no traction, and plows running here there and everywhere.

Problem is, saying **** like that, and then not penalizing EMPLOYERS who require that their workers are at work despite it all, doesn't exactly work.

The NYPD are completely out of line, but being completely out of line is the natural order of the NYPD.

As many people have already pointed out, the NYPD are operating on the assumption that New Yorker's are unemployed and drive around in the snow for giggles.

Yep, if because of the snow a State of Emergency is called the only vehicles allowed on the roads are emergency vehicles and workers that absolutely need to get to work, Cops, Docs, Nurses, etc. It's been like this for decades, and everywhere I've ever lived when a huge snow storm hits. EVERYWHERE.. FOR DECADES.

This is a non story.

Anyone insane enough to be out on the road in these conditions should be arrested. Idiots like that not only risk their own lives, but risk the lives of others who have to come and rescue their selfish asses.

this actually happens fairly commonly in areas that get zapped with snowstorms

you do have a right to get picked off by a snow plow and frankly best wishes with that. there is no martial law, that is a crap article.

Yeah.

They did that here in CT a couple years back, too. And I get it. People on the road is just asking for trouble, what with zero visability, no traction, and plows running here there and everywhere.

Problem is, saying **** like that, and then not penalizing EMPLOYERS who require that their workers are at work despite it all, doesn't exactly work.
Excellent point. :thumbs:

this actually happens fairly commonly in areas that get zapped with snowstorms

I used to live in New Hampshire. I don't remember these kinds of threats there. I remember some announcements of responders being unavailable or if you go out, you're on your own. The point is that the government coercion is wrong. Of course if government REALLY trusted ordinary citizens, they would organize a volunteer storm rescue team. It would be a chance to put that four wheel drive to use and do some good.

I hope someone successfully challenges this in court:

NYPD: 'We Will Arrest You' If On the Road

NYPD: 'We Will Arrest You' If On the Road | The Weekly Standard

One two wheel drive vehicle stuck in the middle of a main street can block any chance of emergency vehicles passing through. I guess you think that it is more important for that one citizen to be out, when the whole freaking city is closed, to see if Starbucks is open.

I used to live in New Hampshire. I don't remember these kinds of threats there.
New Hampshire is not a dense urban environment. If a driver in NYC gets stuck or gets into an accident, they can prevent emergency services from effectively reaching a much larger number of people than in NH.

NH residents are also accustomed to heavy snow, and have better resources to prepare for it -- e.g. it's easy to store lots of food and a generator if you have a rural or suburban home, and not really possible if you live in a 750 square foot apartment, in a 5 story walkup. City vehicles can handle heavy snow, but most residential vehicles can't. There are lots of small cars and sedans; most people don't bother with snow tires, or chains, or keep a shovel in the trunk. They are highly unlikely to carry sufficient emergency supplies in their vehicle, too.

I remember some announcements of responders being unavailable or if you go out, you're on your own. The point is that the government coercion is wrong.
Not in this case.

A primary function of government is to ensure the safety of civilians. In extreme situations -- like, say, a massive hurricane, or the 2nd worst snowstorm in New York City's history -- ordering a mandatory evacuation, or ordering civilians to stay off the streets for their own safety and to ensure first responders can do their jobs -- are well within the purview of a government.

Of course if government REALLY trusted ordinary citizens, they would organize a volunteer storm rescue team. It would be a chance to put that four wheel drive to use and do some good.
Yes, because NYC is FULL of trained volunteers with 4-wheel drives. :roll:

Please. Setting up, vetting, training volunteers would take far more time and effort than it's worth. The better approach is to prepare for the storm in advance, and not drive for a day or so.

Driving a car is a privelage not a right. The plows need to do their job. You can still walk and take public transportaion. Its only temporary. Ever been to NYC?

Do people pay for the roads? If they pay for the roads then they do in fact have a right to use them. Regardless, arresting someone for driving is completely unacceptable.

Do people pay for the roads? If they pay for the roads then they do in fact have a right to use them. Regardless, arresting someone for driving is completely unacceptable.
You're right. Even if a road is torn up for reconstruction, I paid for that road and I should be able to use it any time I want... consequences be damned.

People trying to drive around slows down the cleanup, negatively impacting all the tax payers who need the roads to be cleared to get to work. We live in a society. We have to work together to keep things running. If you want to do your own thing the city may not be the best place for you.

government coercion

Is a redundant phrase. Coercing people to not do things that are harmful to society is literally the job of government.

One two wheel drive vehicle stuck in the middle of a main street can block any chance of emergency vehicles passing through. I guess you think that it is more important for that one citizen to be out, when the whole freaking city is closed, to see if Starbucks is open.

Exactly. There are lots of non-idiots who need emergency services (crime victims, medical emergencies, etc.) who shouldn't be denied them because some jackass decided to go out for the heck of it.

You're right. Even if a road is torn up for reconstruction, I paid for that road and I should be able to use it any time I want... consequences be damned.

I find myself curious how this privilege logic works. I can't think of a situation outside of dealings with the government where you pay for something and yet don't have the right to use what you paid for.

I for one just move those pesky orange cones and barriers out of the way. They stop me from going where I want when I want. That is obviously unConstitutional.

I find myself curious how this privilege logic works. I can't think of a situation outside of dealings with the government where you pay for something and yet don't have the right to use what you paid for.

I paid a set amount to get on my university's meal plan (breakfast each weekday, lunch and dinner each day), but breakfast is cancelled on snow days.

:lol: Sometimes I wonder how you're even still alive. You should have "Darwin'd" yourself years ago.

Seriously, it's not emotionally satisfying for me either, but yes, sometimes people do need to be protected from themselves.

:lol: Sometimes I wonder how you're even still alive. You should have "Darwin'd" yourself years ago.

Seriously, it's not emotionally satisfying for me either, but yes, sometimes people do need to be protected from themselves.

You didn't answer my question. What other things do people pay for and yet don't have a right to use?

I paid a set amount to get on my university's meal plan (breakfast each weekday, lunch and dinner each day), but breakfast is cancelled on snow days.

I was speaking towards the privilege mindset when it comes to driving, not situational occurrences. It's all fine and good to put situational clauses in an agreement or have situations where the service can't be offered, but what people say towards driving on public roads is that you own the roads, you pay for the roads, and yet, you don't have a right to drive on the roads. That is like saying I own my house, but I can't actually live in my house without the government permission. Oh wait..the government does that too.

Back
Top Bottom