• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New York City moves to make it 100 percent legal to urinate in public

Anthony60

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
New York City moves to make it 100 percent legal to urinate in public | Examiner.com

Of all the things one could think of that New York City needs more of, public urination doesn't immediately come to mind. But New York's City Council, which is so far left it almost collides with the right, is about to make it happen thanks to it's Speaker, a Puerto Rican nationalist who supports terrorists and rejects the Pledge of Allegiance. According to FrontPageMag Saturday, urinating and drinking in public would no longer be treated as crimes under a package of bills New York’s City Council will consider to ease enforcement of quality-of-life offenses that lawmakers say clog the courts and have been disproportionately enforced against minorities. OK, we get it, asking people not to urinate in public is now racist.

More forward "progress" from the left. Just moving ahead as a society.

This reminds me of a post card I got from my brother when he and his fiance were backpacking across Europe years ago. It was a beautiful picture of Venice at sunrise with a gondola being piloted through the canal by a boatman in traditional garb and a loving couple smiling and holding hands as his passengers.

His message on the back was short and to the point: "Be grateful this isn't scratch-and-sniff".

What the odds that public urination will still be illegal on City Hall grounds? 95%? 100%?

While I question the source, nothing surprises me about New York these days. And I do mean nothing.

Seems like someone missed the entire point. The move is due to the large number of homeless people that get cited and brought to court over public urination and clog up the courts. It is not about race, even though the majority of homeless people are minorities. Seems like someone wants to twist the facts to allow them to attack Lefties and throw a few minorities under the bus at the same time, pure BS.

While I question the source, nothing surprises me about New York these days. And I do mean nothing.

Actually, this goes into effect today. I heard a radio host talking about organizing a group of people to go urinate on the lawn of Gracie Mansion.

A couple links into the story, and it's clear questioning the source was warranted:

New York City Council thinks of decriminalizing quality-of-life offenses like public drinking and urination | Crain's New York Business

The council scheduled a Jan. 25 hearing on the proposed laws, which are supported by Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito, a majority of her 50 colleagues and Police Commissioner Bill Bratton. The proposal would remove the possibility of permanent criminal records for public urination and violating park rules, mostly treating them as civil offenses, along with public drinking, littering and excessive noise.

Such low-level offenses have left the city with more than 1.2 million active warrants, according to a fact sheet distributed by the council Wednesday.

According to a City Council policy memorandum prepared for its members, the laws’ intent is to “bring penalties in line with offenses and drastically reduce the number of warrants, all while maintaining a meaningful and proportional enforcement of quality of life offenses.” The police department would retain control over when officers should issue a civil or criminal penalty for public urination or park-rules violations, each of which are crimes under state law, according to the bills.

So, they charge these folks with a crime, they ignore it, and with 1.2 million active warrants, it's clear there is no real enforcement of the criminal charges anyway. So doesn't seem like much will actually change.

Actually, this goes into effect today. I heard a radio host talking about organizing a group of people to go urinate on the lawn of Gracie Mansion.

The police can still charge them criminally and will definitely issue a civil charge. Good luck to them.

You are wise for questioning this report. It's not true

NYC is not looking to make public urination legal. What is really happening is the City Council is seeking to reverse the police policy of arresting people for quality of life crimes. Instead of arresting someone for walking on the grass or jaywalking, the police will issue a summons. Police officers will no longer spend hours writing up the paperwork required for an arrest and eliminate what was essentially, a make-work jobs program for the police.

Seems like someone missed the entire point. The move is due to the large number of homeless people that get cited and brought to court over public urination and clog up the courts. It is not about race, even though the majority of homeless people are minorities. Seems like someone wants to twist the facts to allow them to attack Lefties and throw a few minorities under the bus at the same time, pure BS.

Don't interrupt one of the zillion Anthony60 faux outrage threads. Where do you think I get my comedy from?

Don't interrupt one of the zillion Anthony60 faux outrage threads. Where do you think I get my comedy from?

Sorry, had my say anyway, now back to the show.

Why is it too much to ask to not urinate in public?

It's not too much to ask. The point is it's still illegal and those doing it can/will be charged civilly, and, depending on the circumstances, can be charged criminally.

It amazes me that there are several million people who want to live in that city.

New York City moves to make it 100 percent legal to urinate in public | Examiner.com

Of all the things one could think of that New York City needs more of, public urination doesn't immediately come to mind. But New York's City Council, which is so far left it almost collides with the right, is about to make it happen thanks to it's Speaker, a Puerto Rican nationalist who supports terrorists and rejects the Pledge of Allegiance. According to FrontPageMag Saturday, urinating and drinking in public would no longer be treated as crimes under a package of bills New York’s City Council will consider to ease enforcement of quality-of-life offenses that lawmakers say clog the courts and have been disproportionately enforced against minorities. OK, we get it, asking people not to urinate in public is now racist.

Ok, I don't want to play the slippery slope card...I am going to play the slippery slope card. How does this work with public indecency? I feel this may increase as a method to restrict public urination.

Edit: Shouldn't the council work to add more public restrooms?

Last edited:
Why is it too much to ask to not urinate in public?

When the shelters are full, where is this guy going to go to pee?

PMNews-ProtestorsPutHomelessForeclosures-July2011.jpg

Arresting him for peeing under a bridge, or in an ally seems like it won't really accomplish anything important.

What do you suggest he do when he needs to pee? You think a restaurant will let him use their bathroom?

This is one of those reason I love living in the mountains. I can pee where I want and wash my hands with snow and I am the only one doing it. If someone else is peeing on my property they are trespassing and the urinating issue is the least of their worries.

They could build public restrooms but that would create other issues.

When the shelters are full, where is this guy going to go to pee?

PMNews-ProtestorsPutHomelessForeclosures-July2011.jpg

Arresting him for peeing under a bridge, or in an ally seems like it won't really accomplish anything important.

What do you suggest he do when he needs to pee? You think a restaurant will let him use their bathroom?

I think he can pee somewhere out of site. What do you think? Should he just be able to pee right on the sidewalk?

I`m not American but is this also a mean to reduce the unfairness towards poor in the American legal system? That I guess you also have a lot of benefits from you bail system but still as I undertand it, it means that if you poor and can't pay your bail you risk spending time in jail before your trial even if it's a small crime and you are not a threath to society.While if you rich you can get out on bail even if you are suspected of murdering someone.

Wrong, completely wrong.

Urinating in public is still illegal. The difference is that instead of getting arrested, you get a summons (a ticket).

So no, NYC is not going to turn into a big piss fight, like the end of Fight For Your Right (Revisited).

Back
Top Bottom