• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Jersey solves educational challenges!

It couldn’t possibly be that unions make it virtually impossible to get rid of poor performing teachers, placing more stress on the teachers who actually want to improve student performance. ;)

Airline pilots are in unions.

It couldn’t possibly be that unions make it virtually impossible to get rid of poor performing teachers, placing more stress on the teachers who actually want to improve student performance. ;)

I can't even begin to express how much I despise unionization of public service employees for EXACTLY that reason.

Airline pilots are in unions.
Back in the day there was a damned good probability that your PRIVATE SECTOR union hire would be more competent than a non-union hire. That's no longer the case.

The government also provides resources for charter and home schooling. Why should be they be regulated too?

Unregulated home schooling brings its own, unique problem.

Yes. We all know that parents who choose to home school do so because they want more opportunity to beat their children.:rolleyes:

Yes. We all know that parents who choose to home school do so because they want more opportunity to beat their children.:rolleyes:

Being unregulated, you really can't argue for or against this idea. And that should bother you.

Imagine being a teacher and having the state dictating by law what you can teach and say to students every minute of the day.

Who would want to work with that?

Apparently, less qualified applicants.

Back in the day there was a damned good probability that your PRIVATE SECTOR union hire would be more competent than a non-union hire. That's no longer the case.

At least there is still a profit motive for having more qualified employees.

Teaches hate testing. They hated it for their student and even more so when they themselves get tested. Essentially all testing ever did is rank people inside their peer group. Imagine going through life with the belief that not knowing is better than acknowledging you're near the bottom and you need to work on improving.
Don't have to imagine. Just look at all the MAGA minions we have in this country. Certainly not the cream of the crop and I doubt any of them have a compelling life story to respect. ;)

Postings like this make me wonder how many of these authors failed their tests while in school.

Imagine being a teacher and having the state dictating by law what you can teach and say to students every minute of the day.
They don't.
Who would want to work with that?
In PA, and I imagine in most other states (other than Texas or Florida:D) the state publishes standards, but they don't 'dictate' to teachers HOW to teach to those standards. (I taught in both public and private schools, not the religious ones). In private school I did have much more say in what materials I could use, public schools mandate the use of their provided materials/textbooks, didn't much care for that as it is a cash cow for the few textbook publishers which exist as a monopoly in the country. I think that is where our attention should be drawn.

I can't even begin to express how much I despise unionization of public service employees for EXACTLY that reason.
You hold onto that hate. There is a Buddhist saying, " Holding on to hate is like holding on to a hot coal. You only burn yourself." ☮️

They don't.

In PA, and I imagine in most other states (other than Texas or Florida:D) the state publishes standards, but they don't 'dictate' to teachers HOW to teach to those standards. (I taught in both public and private schools, not the religious ones). In private school I did have much more say in what materials I could use, public schools mandate the use of their provided materials/textbooks, didn't much care for that as it is a cash cow for the few textbook publishers which exist as a monopoly in the country. I think that is where our attention should be drawn.

They do.

Her students reported her for a lesson on race. Can she trust them again?​

At least there is still a profit motive for having more qualified employees.
Yep, and that makes ALL the difference. When your employment is based on whether you have a pulse or not and match some demographic quota then there really isn't any motivation to perform even an inch above minimum standards.

Yep, and that makes ALL the difference. When your employment is based on whether you have a pulse or not and match some demographic quota then there really isn't any motivation to perform even an inch above minimum standards.

The profit motive dictates that more qualified employees earn more, cutting into profits.

Teaches hate testing. They hated it for their student and even more so when they themselves get tested. Essentially all testing ever did is rank people inside their peer group. Imagine going through life with the belief that not knowing is better than acknowledging you're near the bottom and you need to work on improving.
Most people, once graduating from high school and not going to college are no longer ranked anyway. So ranking academically only matters in educational institutions. Performance matters in real life.

The profit motive dictates that more qualified employees earn more, cutting into profits.
Profit motive means that, as an employer, you utilize the skills of the better employee to GENERATE more profit. Employees that suck are an expense, not an asset.

Back
Top Bottom