• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Army Service Uniform Starting in 2014.....

Whilst some in the British Army hate the new new Multi-Terrain Pattern (MTP) Number 8 Uniform introduced in 2009.

BBC News - British Army to get new camouflage uniform

Soldiers up in arms over their 'shabby' uniform in mutiny over shirt they mustn't tuck in | Mail Online

SAS troops refuse to wear new camouflage uniform – branding it ‘rubbish’ | The Sun |News|Campaigns|Our Boys

British Army uniform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The fact that the MOD had a fashion show and labelled the German and Canadian Uniforms too 1990's did make me laugh, who did they have judging Sacha Baron Cohen's character Brüno - that is so 1990's. :lamo

The Telegraph said:
The focus group phase involved a "fashion show" of up to 60 soldiers. Modern-style "digital" or "pixilated" camouflages, which are used by, among others, the Canadian and Germany military, were rejected as being "too 1990s.

British Army to get new uniforms – turned down by the US and made in China - Telegraph

Actually the new uniforms do look a bit gay, perhaps that's what the Ministry of Defence wanted, that Marine coming out of the bushes looks especially camp, would certain make me run if he came out of the bushes blowing kisses and saying hello big boy. :lol:

camo2_1546793c.jpg
newuniform.jpg

Last edited:
Time for some style!

8015726_1_l.jpg

Mollo_Russian_Officers_Czapka.jpg

And let's not forget lots of medals.

Moscow-Russia-A-profusion-of-medals-on-the-dress-uniform-of-a-Red-Army-second-world-war-veteran-at-the-victory-parade-in-Moscow.jpg

delete

Last edited:
Holy crap!

Yea, but that is a Soviet uniform, so the number of medals is not exactly unexpected. And if you notice, none of those is a really high level award either, more or less along the lines of "Successfully performed toilet monitor duties award".

000710_908752.jpg

Retired Colonel General Vladimir Kovalyonok, cosmonaut for 17 years, commander of 3 missions, twice awarded the Hero of the Soviet Union (medals on his left side), and 3 times the Order of Lenin (medal on his right side). This is closer to how real heroes normally wear their awards, not political hacks.

It appears the Russians will keep pace with us.....evidenced.

Russia Tests new Military Uniform "Future Soldier" .....

Russian military equipment sets Ratnik, nicknamed “future soldier uniforms,” performed well in recent tests, paving the way for their implementation, a senior army official said on Saturday.

Ratnik (“Warrior”) comprises more than 40 components, including firearms, body armor, optic, communication and navigation devices, life support and power supply systems and even knee and elbow pads, said the commander of the Ground Forces, Vladimir Chirkin.

The equipment can be used by regular infantry, rocket launcher operators, machine gunners, drivers and scouts, Chirkin said on Ekho Moskvy radio.

The equipment sets are light and come in summer and winter variants, Chirkin added, without elaborating on the weight

The military also tested the Zarya (“Dawn”) troop command system during the Caucasus-2012 exercise, Chirkin said. The system needs improving, but will likely be finished in the next few years, he said.....snip~

el-top-news-future-soldier.jpg

Russia Tests new Military Uniform "Future Soldier" - Russian and Soviet Military news, reviews, photos

It appears the Russians will keep pace with us.....evidenced.

Russia Tests new Military Uniform "Future Soldier" .....

Russian military equipment sets Ratnik, nicknamed “future soldier uniforms,” performed well in recent tests, paving the way for their implementation, a senior army official said on Saturday.

Ratnik (“Warrior”) comprises more than 40 components, including firearms, body armor, optic, communication and navigation devices, life support and power supply systems and even knee and elbow pads, said the commander of the Ground Forces, Vladimir Chirkin.

The equipment can be used by regular infantry, rocket launcher operators, machine gunners, drivers and scouts, Chirkin said on Ekho Moskvy radio.

The equipment sets are light and come in summer and winter variants, Chirkin added, without elaborating on the weight

The military also tested the Zarya (“Dawn”) troop command system during the Caucasus-2012 exercise, Chirkin said. The system needs improving, but will likely be finished in the next few years, he said.....snip~

el-top-news-future-soldier.jpg

Russia Tests new Military Uniform "Future Soldier" - Russian and Soviet Military news, reviews, photos

The Russians are just copying your typical American federal law enforcement officers uniform of the FBI, ATF, ICE and Obama's Civil Volunteer Corps.

The Russians are just copying your typical American federal law enforcement officers uniform of the FBI, ATF, ICE and Obama's Civil Volunteer Corps.

Not for their Special forces. Although their Camo will be designed for whatever terrain and conditions apply.

Yea, but that is a Soviet uniform, so the number of medals is not exactly unexpected. And if you notice, none of those is a really high level award either, more or less along the lines of "Successfully performed toilet monitor duties award".

000710_908752.jpg

Retired Colonel General Vladimir Kovalyonok, cosmonaut for 17 years, commander of 3 missions, twice awarded the Hero of the Soviet Union (medals on his left side), and 3 times the Order of Lenin (medal on his right side). This is closer to how real heroes normally wear their awards, not political hacks.
OK...but dood...lets talk about those eyebrows...

I always liked US and Russian uniforms, compared to them our soldiers look like bums in green rags :p

934.jpg

ap_israeli_soldiers_121118_wg.jpg

שכחו-לפרסם-פרט-ב&#.jpg

Fallen.

4013.jpg
A Marine rifleman as depicted in a training manual from 1945. The loose cut of the utility uniform is evident in this photograph. This uniform was designed for comfort, not for the parade ground. USMC Photo
Not for their Special forces. Although their Camo will be designed for whatever terrain and conditions apply.

I still have a problem of all branches of the military adopting the same camo pattern on their ACU/utilities or what ever the Navy and Air Force call them.

This is civilian engineering of the military. It's exactly what Secretary of Defense McNamara did to the American military during the early/mid 1960's.
This is when the Marine Corps had to abandon their tradition of the sage green herringbone utility jacket and trousers and adopt the Army's olive grab fatigue jackets and trousers.
But McNamara went further, all branches of the service had to adopt the black leather Navy Oxford shoe as part of the dress uniform. Brown shoes (Brown Shoe Navy) brown leather barracks cover visors etc. became history.

The first military to design and issue a uniform to be worn in combat was the United States Marine Corps. Before WW ll when soldiers and Marines went to war, they entered combat wearing the same uniform they wore in garrison or went on a weekend pass wearing. On Wake Island, Guam and in the P.I's, soldiers and Marines wore their dress khakis along with leggings. The same uniform they wore on leave without the leggings and helmet.

The Marines came up with an idea of a utility uniform that would be worn in garrison while doing military things like picking up cigarette butts, painting any thing that didn't move or could be picked up but would also be worn in combat. That was the Marine Corps sage green herringbone utility jacket and trousers. The Army during WW ll would follow suit with many different kinds of uniforms to be worn in combat. Army tended to go with olive drab.

>"Prior to 1941, the Marine Corps did not have a specific field uniform. Marines in combat and field training wore the winter or summer service uniform, depending on the time of year, and geographic location. During the early battles of World War II, Marines in combat wore the summer service uniform with the World War I-style M1917A1 steel helmet.

The 1941 pattern utility uniform was standardized for wear on 7 November 1941. It was originally intended to be a general purpose work uniform to be worn over the service uniform for working parties, field day, etc. But it quickly supplanted the service uniform for field wear. The utility uniform gave the World War II Marine a workmanlike appearance. It was simple, easy to maintain, and devoid of any frills or unnecessary features.
The 1941 pattern utility uniform was a two piece suit made of heavy sage green cotton herringbone twill. The jacket had three flapless pockets, one on the left chest, and two on the front hips. It was secured by three metal riveted buttons embossed with "U. S. Marine Corps." The trousers had a button fly with four pockets. There were several arrangements of pockets on the trousers, depending upon manufacturer.

The utility uniform had superior wearing and camouflage characteristics. It was well suited to conditions in the Pacific campaigns. Marines wore it for all evolutions, from field training to combat. As a consequence, the service uniform was reserved for formal occasions, liberty, leave, etc."< continue reading -> https://www.google.com/webhp?source...61,d.dmQ&fp=8fde29beeda06a88&biw=1093&bih=445

Just what I though, it was Democrats in Congress who are behind having one camo pattern for all army ACU, and Marine utilities and Navy and Air Force wannabe combat uniforms. House Votes to Eliminate Service Camo Patterns | Military.com

I wonder what's next coming down the pipeline ?

Actually, I agree with this.

Personally, I see it as wasteful to have multiple versions of a "Service Uniform". Having them all increases the cost to the government, and also to the servicemembers themselves. I remember when my Clothing Allowance allowed me to buy 3-4 sets of uniforms a year, and 1-2 sets of boots. Today, I am lucky if I can get 2 uniforms and 1 set of boots with the amount they give me. And although it makes it easier to identify branch of service, that is also a good and bad thing. Also it makes supplying the troops that much harder, needing 4-5 different types of Uniforms to be sent to a theatre, as opposed to a single type.

By all means, keep the dress uniforms the way they are, each distinct and special. But I see no reason for the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines to all have their own special Service Uniform. If the BDU/Cammie was good enough for pretty much all services in the 1980's, why not do the same thing today?

Just what I though, it was Democrats in Congress who are behind having one camo pattern for all army ACU, and Marine utilities and Navy and Air Force wannabe combat uniforms. House Votes to Eliminate Service Camo Patterns | Military.com

I wonder what's next coming down the pipeline ?

Committee members expressed frustration over the millions of dollars the services have spent to field camouflage patterns that focus more on creating a visual brand than effective concealment for the battlefield.

As a conservative shouldn't you be in favor of things that will reduce costs without reducing effectiveness? :)

Actually, I agree with this.

Personally, I see it as wasteful to have multiple versions of a "Service Uniform". Having them all increases the cost to the government, and also to the service members themselves. I remember when my Clothing Allowance allowed me to buy 3-4 sets of uniforms a year, and 1-2 sets of boots. Today, I am lucky if I can get 2 uniforms and 1 set of boots with the amount they give me. And although it makes it easier to identify branch of service, that is also a good and bad thing. Also it makes supplying the troops that much harder, needing 4-5 different types of Uniforms to be sent to a theatre, as opposed to a single type.

By all means, keep the dress uniforms the way they are, each distinct and special. But I see no reason for the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines to all have their own special Service Uniform. If the BDU/Cammie was good enough for pretty much all services in the 1980's, why not do the same thing today?

It was McNamara who took away the Marines green sage Herringbone utilities and ever since the Marines were wearing army field uniforms until the Marines came up with their own digital camo uniform.

I say go back to pre 65, two uniforms for the field. One for the Marines and one for the Army. Navy Sea Bees or any other naval personnel who are deployed ashore in a combat zone can wear the Marine utility uniform. The Air Force can wear the Army's field uniform. The Air Force roots come from the Army.

No body yet has been able to explain why sailors are wearing camouflage uniforms while on board a ship. The Navy really does need to get back to their. roots, traditions and customs.

Green Class As were the best. The new uniform looks dumb with jump boots.

I was going to say the same thing. Combat boots and neckties are a fashion combination I can't get into.

[

Whatcha thinks?

Gol-durned bunch of horse-hockey. Shinseki should have had his fourth-point-of-contact kicked for the BS with the stunt with the beret. Designating dress blues as a service uniform was another stupid move. Personally, I hate dress blues. The Army Greens were just as professional looking, and with a white shirt, low quarters, and bow tie, doubled as a fine looking formal uniform. Another big mistake was removing the khaki uniform as the Class B uniform back in the early 80's. Khaki's were just sharp looking, especially when worn with bloused boots.

The ACU just topped off the stupidity of the military/industrial complex. It doesn't do the job of of providing camoflauge, regardless of what you do. In Iraq, you could see the troops a long distance away whether they were in urban, desert, or in the area's that actually had foliage. Velcro on the uniform? Uh...yeah. When it gets wet, velcro doesn't want to work. Zippers? Buttons are more effective and can easily be replaced in the field. All the pockets were nice. We made all those modifications to our field uniforms when I was in.

Rumor has it that the G.O. that pushed the design through retired soon after and took a high paying consultant position in a company in the uniform's supply chain. Shaft the troops for $$$$.

I won't solely pick on the Army though. Marines have that nice desert camo, then put body armor in Coyote Brown over it. Can we say "loss of effectiveness"?
Air Force? Blue Camo??:doh Gonna' get lost on the flightline, eh???? I doubt PJ's or Combat Controllers are going to wear blue camo in the field.
Navy? More Blue camo? :doh:doh What's this thing with blue camo? do they want to hid in the waves if they fall overboard? Maybe they want to hid in the galley for that extra cup of coffee.

All the military should go back to the BDU/DCU style uniforms. It was effective, both camo and cost-wise.

Gol-durned bunch of horse-hockey. Shinseki should have had his fourth-point-of-contact kicked for the BS with the stunt with the beret. Designating dress blues as a service uniform was another stupid move. Personally, I hate dress blues. The Army Greens were just as professional looking, and with a white shirt, low quarters, and bow tie, doubled as a fine looking formal uniform. Another big mistake was removing the khaki uniform as the Class B uniform back in the early 80's. Khaki's were just sharp looking, especially when worn with bloused boots.

The ACU just topped off the stupidity of the military/industrial complex. It doesn't do the job of of providing camoflauge, regardless of what you do. In Iraq, you could see the troops a long distance away whether they were in urban, desert, or in the area's that actually had foliage. Velcro on the uniform? Uh...yeah. When it gets wet, velcro doesn't want to work. Zippers? Buttons are more effective and can easily be replaced in the field. All the pockets were nice. We made all those modifications to our field uniforms when I was in.

Rumor has it that the G.O. that pushed the design through retired soon after and took a high paying consultant position in a company in the uniform's supply chain. Shaft the troops for $$$$.

I won't solely pick on the Army though. Marines have that nice desert camo, then put body armor in Coyote Brown over it. Can we say "loss of effectiveness"?
Air Force? Blue Camo??:doh Gonna' get lost on the flightline, eh???? I doubt PJ's or Combat Controllers are going to wear blue camo in the field.
Navy? More Blue camo? :doh:doh What's this thing with blue camo? do they want to hid in the waves if they fall overboard? Maybe they want to hid in the galley for that extra cup of coffee.

All the military should go back to the BDU/DCU style uniforms. It was effective, both camo and cost-wise.

What Air Force blue camo are you talking about?

I usually open presentations to Army personnel with a bio that includes my deployment and career history. I state "I spent 20 years in the Air Force. That's kinda like being in the military and it's really cool. We had uniforms and everything!" Usually loosens things up.

That picture reminds me of the pool at San Vito Air Base.:sun

We should go back to what we wore in WW2, like General Ike here.

Allied_Commanders_after_Germany_Surrendered.jpg

The Marines got it right with their uniform, if it ain't broke don't fix it. And the Army should realize that the more often you change the uniform the less you can talk about tradition.

Semper Fi

What Air Force blue camo are you talking about?

I stand corrected. I seemed to recall a blue digi-cam uniform for the Air Force.

I'll dutifully performed 20 push-up's for my mistake.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom