• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Monsanto to be charged with biopiracy in India

I hear you and I relate. But if someone is granted the right to take something that is freely available, turn around and charge the same people for the use of that same thing, then it is only fair to insist on charging a fee for the use of the original source material.

Just charging for the seed itself and leaving it at that sounds fair to me. If you took the time to collect the seed, store it and distribute it, then you should be paid for that effort. But Monsanto doesn't leave it at that. They like to claim no one else can have this seed (at one time freely available - like the wheel) and drive the people who feed nations out of business with outlandish litigation. India isn't being unfair. Monsanto is. India's legal action is simply re-applying Monsanto's own legal exploit. If Monsanto doesn't like it, they need only look at themselves.

Well, I don't believe in turning living things into IP.
So I'm with you on that.
Although I do think they should be able to sell it, just not patent it.

Back
Top Bottom