• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Michael Brown was a robbery suspect before he was shot to death, police say

Mike Browns accomplice in the robbery was a guy named Johnson. He is also one the the eye witnesses who was interviewed at the scene. What about his credibility as a witness?

He has none. The crap he spew sounds contrived.

Last edited:
Word on the street now is that the two incidences weren't related. Wow-- twists and turns!!

Does this change how those defending Brown's friends versions perceive the lead up to the altercation between Brown and the police?

No shooting someone dead for stealing swisher sweets still seems way out of proportion and wouldn't have happened to a white teen.

No shooting someone dead for stealing swisher sweets still seems way out of proportion and wouldn't have happened to a white teen.
Please provide evidence that that is the reason he was shot.
And while you are at it try to incorporate the information that he attacked the Officer.

First off, not everyone shot by a cop is innocent.

Second, the results are from a simple google search ("cop arrested for shooting")

I'd suggest that this is ample evidence that cops are absolutely held accountable for their actions. Just like with the civilian population, the results aren't always what we want to see but that doesn't mean that there is no accountability.

Frankly, I'm burnt out on these silly games. I'm sick and tired of people screaming "INJUSTICE" every time their sensibilities are hurt. I don't have any more facts than anyone else here does about the Mike Brown shooting but I'll be damned if I'll condemn either him or the cop until I have those facts.

Well first off, I did say that all the police shootings aren't unjustified. So no real point. I did also say that it was not an exhaustive search, so again no point. Furthermore, I have stated more than once that was is needed is a legitimate and thorough investigation to determine if there was any wrong doing. The point is that cops often get away with things and you don't have ample evidence; you have at best 1%. At best.

I think the video serves the purpose of deflating this, "nice young man, high school graduate, planning on going to college, Suzy Cream Cheese," image these media has been trying to portray this person as. Turns out he was a punk thug after all.

It also is solid evidence that this young man has no problem strong arming someone thus pulling the rug out of the "he wasn't armed," excuse. This guy obviously did not need any weapons to do his crimes.

One crime may not have anything to do with the other but the video is a strong tool to establish the character of the deceased.

This will be interesting to watch play out.

Does this change how those defending Brown's friends versions perceive the lead up to the altercation between Brown and the police?

Sure it does and Brown was 6'4' and over 300 pounds.

Yes, it is. First, you have no proof "police have shot up many an innocent", at least not in the modern era. Second, those few who were shot weren't just standing around innocently. That does not justify the shootings, but it does demonstrate that the probability of being shot does not rise simply from greater exposure to police.

The baby shot by the SWAT team? The folk in CA (was it?) who were shot in a van when cops were looking for that cop killer? That shooting in NYC where the cops missed the criminal and only hit bystanders?

Just a couple off the top of the head

100% is a statement of absolute, and I have thus demonstrated that there is no absolute.

Yes, it changes my perception about both the cop and the victim. Mark Brown was a thug and the cop was likely just doing his job. NTL, I still think the killing was unwarranted and the police are getting too militarized and aggressive.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence but I can't help but notice that in both the Garner and Brown case the cops used cigarettes as a motive for approaching the men and then escalated the situation from there. Neither of those men deserved to die...especially over something as petty as cigarettes.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence but I can't help but notice that in both the Garner and Brown case the cops used cigarettes as a motive for approaching the men and then escalated the situation from there.

Your "noticer" seems to be way off then, as that is not the reason in this case at all.

Except that's not even close to what happened by any account and is a ridiculous reduction and reframe of events.

The baby shot by the SWAT team? The folk in CA (was it?) who were shot in a van when cops were looking for that cop killer? That shooting in NYC where the cops missed the criminal and only hit bystanders?

Just a couple off the top of the head

100% is a statement of absolute, and I have thus demonstrated that there is no absolute.

No, you've failed to prove your statement that "police have shot up many an innocent".

Yes, it changes my perception about both the cop and the victim. Mark Brown was a thug and the cop was likely just doing his job. NTL, I still think the killing was unwarranted and the police are getting too militarized and aggressive.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence but I can't help but notice that in both the Garner and Brown case the cops used cigarettes as a motive for approaching the men and then escalated the situation from there. Neither of those men deserved to die...especially over something as petty as cigarettes.

I'd just like to clarify that in the two cases it wasn't tobacco that was the instigating factor but, rather, resisting a lawful investigation.

In Garner's case he had a record of selling untaxed cigarettes. I know it's not a violent crime but it's still a crime and warrants investigation. Resistance to such an investigation may legitimately warrant the use of force in obtaining or preserving evidence.

In Brown's case it appears that he too resisted a lawful investigation. The question at hand in both cases is whether or not the level of force used to preserve evidence was reasonable.

Police chief says that the cop didn't know he just robbed the store when he came up on him. This just released...

But Brown knew he just robbed a Convenience store.

Meaning he was probably not in the mood to be confronted by a Police officer.

I'd just like to clarify that in the two cases it wasn't tobacco that was the instigating factor but, rather, resisting a lawful investigation.

In Garner's case he had a record of selling untaxed cigarettes. I know it's not a violent crime but it's still a crime and warrants investigation. Resistance to such an investigation may legitimately warrant the use of force in obtaining or preserving evidence.

In Brown's case it appears that he too resisted a lawful investigation. The question at hand in both cases is whether or not the level of force used to preserve evidence was reasonable.

Why am I getting the idea that this is all turning into another "Clinton was impeached because he got a blow job!" situation?

No, you've failed to prove your statement that "police have shot up many an innocent".

I just gave you examples. Less babies, innocent people, and by-standards don't count as "innocent" in your book.

My statement was that being around cops increases your probability of being shot, and that's not 100% determined by one's own behavior. You disagreed to that. That was the statement, and I have demonstrated for my hypothesis.

Try again.

The recent announcement is that the store video had absolutely no bearing on why Brown was stopped.

Like I said earlier: the video has nothing to do with anything except trolling. And of course the usual suspects come crawling out from under the rocks to spout their bull****.

The recent announcement is that the store video had absolutely no bearing on why Brown was stopped.

Like I said earlier: the video has nothing to do with anything except trolling. And of course the usual suspects come crawling out from under the rocks to spout their bull****.

Could have great bearing on Browns state of mind though.

And you are wrong in that the video goes directly to Brown's character as well as the above comment of state of mind.

I just gave you examples. Less babies, innocent people, and by-standards don't count as "innocent" in your book.

My statement was that being around cops increases your probability of being shot, and that's not 100% determined by one's own behavior. You disagreed to that. That was the statement, and I have demonstrated for my hypothesis.

Try again.

Being around lawless people increases that probability too. Far, far more innocents have been killed by those people, and they don't make a living having to deal with societies issues day in and day out.

Back
Top Bottom