• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mi-17 Helicopter Sale: Mi-17 Helicopters Bought by US from Russia, Draws Criticism

Re: Mi-17 Helicopter Sale: Mi-17 Helicopters Bought by US from Russia, Draws Criticis

The primary reason not to sell them the CH-47 is that it's altitude performance is more than we'd want them to have.

Re: Mi-17 Helicopter Sale: Mi-17 Helicopters Bought by US from Russia, Draws Criticis

Afghanistan it is mountains, gorges and rocky deserts.:(

Now I'm not a real expert on helicopters but I do get my "Rotorwing" magazine every month in the mail. :lol:

But I know more than a few Marine and Army helio pilots. From what I understand because of the high mountains in Afghanistan the only American made helicopter that can operate in those high altitudes is the CH-47 Chinook. Even our Apache AH-64 have problems with flying in those altitudes in the mountains.

True, and the Navy is going to phase out the CH-46, but these are likely too advance for them as well.

I made a mistake, I was referring to the CH-47 not the CH-46.

The Marines V-22 Osprey is the replacement for the Corps CH-46. It served the Marine Corps well for over forty five years.

Russian-made helos are more suitable to high altitudes and cold temps...I don't see what the big deal is. Afghans were using Soviet tech before.

We don't want our future enemy to have gunships that are equal to ours.

At this point it probably has more to do with the considerations of logistics, training, and overall economics of financing the development of an air force than anything else.

At this point it probably has more to do with the considerations of logistics, training, and overall economics of financing the development of an air force than anything else.

But, you don't want to offset those obstacles by giving them some of the best aircraft in the world

Afghanistan grows enough opium poppies to pay for their own helicopters.

It'd be so much better if they didn't do that. But when choices to support your family is limited, I imagine that you have to do what you have to do.

Back
Top Bottom