• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

meatloaf - don't let it

justabubba

long standing member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
while i enjoy a good meatloaf, i have never cooked one. help me out

looking for meatloaf recipe recommendations

... and if not a recipe, a ingredient(s) or some other aspect of cooking meatloaf that works for you

... and if not a recipe, a ingredient(s) or some other aspect of cooking meatloaf that works for you

My wife found a recipe for meatloaf, that was hands down the best meatloaf I have ever had. Hopefully she has it bookmarked. I'll see if I can get it for you. It calls for some yellow mustard believe it or not, in the mix.

Tip: Use an instant-read thermometer so you don't overcook it. Take it out of the oven at 155-degrees. It'll rise to 160. Let it stand twenty minutes before you slice it.

My wife found a recipe for meatloaf, that was hands down the best meatloaf I have ever had. Hopefully she has it bookmarked. I'll see if I can get it for you.
It calls for some yellow mustard believe it or not, in the mix.

I've never tried mustard in meatloaf, but for some great fish try marinating filets in mustard and beer.

This has worked great for me and it's very easy.

Never over-cook your fish.

I've never tried mustard in meatloaf, but for some great fish try marinating filets in mustard and beer.

Mustard is really very good in meatloaf. I prefer the Dijon type with whole mustard seeds.

Tip: Use an instant-read thermometer so you don't overcook it. Take it out of the oven at 155-degrees. It'll rise to 160. Let it stand twenty minutes before you slice it.

Good point, if you do not have much experience. If it goes dry on you the taste is fine but with much less pleasure.

Whatever the meatloaf recipe - wrap it in bacon. I find applewood smoked or hickory smoked adds to the meatloaf.

3501531705_73082a4df4_z.jpg

I've never cooked a meat loaf, but from what I've read, the secret is to use some bread soaked in either milk or water in the mix. It helps the meat retain moisture and gives the loaf a better texture

Other than that, I've got nothing

Whatever the meatloaf recipe - wrap it in bacon. I find applewood smoked or hickory smoked adds to the meatloaf.

Wrapping something in bacon to improve its taste applies to just about any food..... heck ... I suspect the old Charlie Chaplin boiled shoe would not be too bad with a pound of peppered smoked bacon surrounding it.

That does sound good, of course I'm a fan of mustard. I have a great pan chicken recipe that uses Dijon mustard.

I'm telling you, this mustard meatloaf was so savory, it didn't need anything on it. I usually like a little ketchup, but not with this stuff.

I like this modified Betty Crocker quite well, but add mustard and spices, while ketchup out.

2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup cream
1 cup Progresso™ Italian Style Bread Crumbs
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 or 2 table spoons mustard with whole seeds

some thyme, marjoram and rosmarin to taste

- Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, combine all meat loaf ingredients; mix well. Press mixture in ungreased 8x4-inch deep pan. Bake at 350°F. for 40 minutes.
-Remove meat loaf from oven. baste with juices. Return to oven; bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until meat thermometer reaches 160°F. and beef is thoroughly cooked. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

You can also mix in 1 paprika cut into small pieces.

I like this modified Betty Crocker quite well, but add mustard and spices, while ketchup out.

2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup cream
2 cloves garlic
1 lb. lean ground beef

- Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, combine all meat loaf ingredients; mix well. Press mixture in ungreased 8x4-inch deep pan. Bake at 350°F. for 40 minutes.
-Remove meat loaf from oven. baste with juices. Return to oven; bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until meat thermometer reaches 160°F. and beef is thoroughly cooked. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

thank you for that
and based on other suggestions, cover it in bacon and remove from the oven at 155 degrees, allowing it to continue to cook internally to the 160 degree mark

will let everyone know how my trial run works out. in the meantime, all other thoughts/suggestions are appreciated. and as the madam said to her staff, keep 'em coming

2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup cream
2 cloves garlic
1 lb. lean ground beef

Thanks! - I'm going to give it a try. I love meatloaf, but never cooked it because dh didn't tolerate it well, but I've been wanting a good recipe to try now.

i put everything into a food processer making sure i have enough bread crumbs to keep it lite, because nothing worst then a meatloaf as heavy as a brick, laying in your stomach with you continuing to tasting it for hours.

Last edited:
i put everything into a food processer making sure i have enough bread crumbs to keep it lite, because nothing worst then a meatloaf as heavy as a brick, laying in your stomach with you continuing to tasting it for hours.

I see you've had my mom's meat loaf.

for some reason, my mom made meat loaf and meatballs without any filler, but added breadcrumbs to hamburger. She actually was a fairly good cook but chopped meat flummoxed her.

My meatloaf tastes awesome, but always just falls to pieces when you cut it. I've never been able to get past that. I guess meatloaf is like my kryptonite. No matter how I cook it, or what recipe I use, it always falls apart when I cut it.

This thread brings back memories since I havent eaten meatloaf in decades...

I see you've had my mom's meat loaf.

for some reason, my mom made meat loaf and meatballs without any filler, but added breadcrumbs to hamburger. She actually was a fairly good cook but chopped meat flummoxed her.

i bought meatloaf from costco once and it was very heavy and like a rock, it was a very bad experince..

i last meat loaf and meatballs i made, my wife loved them, they were very light and i processed them to a very fine texture.

My meatloaf tastes awesome, but always just falls to pieces when you cut it. I've never been able to get past that. I guess meatloaf is like my kryptonite. No matter how I cook it, or what recipe I use, it always falls apart when I cut it.

How long do you let it set?

At first I thought "he reposted my picture". But then I guess I'm not the only one who does that. Except after I do that mine goes in the smoker, and when it comes out it is sliced and served on toasted sourdough with meunster cheese, brown mustard and a slice of mild onion.

How long do you let it set?

Usually about 5 minutes, and in all fairness, it wasn't really to "rest," but only to sit on the table while I got the rest of dinner put on the table.

I let my steaks rest, but never thought about letting meatloaf rest! :)

My Granny's cook had her own unique style for meatloaf: she would put pickles and sausages at the center and serve it with brown gravy.

Prepare your favorite meatloaf recipe
Take mixture and flatten out on a piece of wax paper in a rectangle shape
Take one box frozen spinach, thawed and squeeze out all the liquid.
Spread the spinach over top the meat mixture.
Take a package of shredded Swiss cheese and sprinkle over the spinach
Roll up like a jelly roll and secure ends
Place seam side down in loaf pan and bake according to your recipe.
It not only tastes yummy it looks nice with a pinwheel design in each slice

Back
Top Bottom