• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Maybe this will change a mind [W:223, 278,342, 805]

Re: Maybe this will change a mind

Why should an appeal to emotion alone change mine (or anyone's) opinion about government, law, and abortion?

Newly widowed father sings Beatles classic 'Blackbird' to newborn son shortly before his death | abc7.com

In a flash this guy lost his wife and then his baby.

For those who are more concerned with their own lives than the lives of those that are being brought into the world, please, just read the story and watch the video.

Thanks Luther....

In all the mess that we call life, it is necessary at time to back up and find what's important.

I became a grandfather this year, her little hands looked just like this baby...such a beauty, wide Asian eyes and a beaming toothless smile...I am so glad my daughter was raised well, she had a good mother.

If the people who worry about the babies lives before they are born spent a fraction of that energy helping the babies have a better life after they are born, then maybe the mothers wouldn't feel the pressure to abort them.

Newly widowed father sings Beatles classic 'Blackbird' to newborn son shortly before his death | abc7.com

In a flash this guy lost his wife and then his baby.

For those who are more concerned with their own lives than the lives of those that are being brought into the world, please, just read the story and watch the video.

My thoughts are that it is disgusting that you would cheapen this man's devastation, this wanted child's suffering, and this woman's untimely death, by trying to turn it into a political puppet. I think it's disgusting that you didn't commit to this simply as a human being -- you just tried to find some sort of self-serving use for it.

And it is disgusting you would cheapen the struggles and suffering of women with unwanted pregnancies, often in situations far less loving than this, by using an example of a woman who literally died during pregnancy to try to bolster your point that it's supposedly no big deal to try to force women through pregnancy. I mean, did you miss the part where she died?

However, I did not let you cheapen that story for me. I watched and read with my full human commitment. Your cheapness will not dampen my humanity for me. Your attempt at manipulation will not disconnect me from the depth and the diversity of human experience, as a meaningful entity unto itself, without needing to find a "use" for it.

My thoughts are that it is disgusting that you would cheapen this man's devastation, this wanted child's suffering, and this woman's untimely death, by trying to turn it into a political puppet. I think it's disgusting that you didn't commit to this simply as a human being -- you just tried to find some sort of self-serving use for it.

And it is disgusting you would cheapen the struggles and suffering of women with unwanted pregnancies, often in situations far less loving than this, by using an example of a woman who literally died during pregnancy to try to bolster your point that it's supposedly no big deal to try to force women through pregnancy. I mean, did you miss the part where she died?

However, I did not let you cheapen that story for me. I watched and read with my full human commitment. Your cheapness will not dampen my humanity for me. Your attempt at manipulation will not disconnect me from the depth and the diversity of human experience, as a meaningful entity unto itself, without needing to find a "use" for it.

Of course it's disgusting. There is no one word that better describes the pro-life movement and it's supporters

Interesting response so far.

Anyone care to fill me in on what political statement I made?

Sorry, I meant to say what "disgusting" political statement I made.

You are the one that put this in an abortion section of the forums appealing to emotion here. And I never said you made a disgusting statement, but I will note you have zero response to my original challenge.

You are the one that put this in an abortion section of the forums appealing to emotion here. And I never said you made a disgusting statement, but I will note you have zero response to my original challenge.

It's in the abortion forum because one of the more common justifications for abortion is that the baby isn't human at 24 weeks (or much later than that, according to some). My thought was that this imagery would invoke a little understanding in those who deny prenatal life.

Unfortunately, I was wrong.

What does this story have to do with abortion?

It's a celebration of life, even a very short one. A celebration none the less.

Aborting, well, it seems to celebrate death. Death of those who can't defend or speak for themselves.

Aborting, well, it seems to celebrate death. Death of those who can't defend or speak for themselves.

Right. Personally I find it a little weird that anybody would consider a celebration of life and love such as this to be "disgusting". That absolutely was not a reaction I figured I'd get.

Right. Personally I find it a little weird that anybody would consider a celebration of life and love such as this to be "disgusting". That absolutely was not a reaction I figured I'd get.

How about you not spin what the other posters said.

Nobody said the story itself was disgusting, but the miss use of it as an appeal to emotion against abortion of all thing, is pretty wretched.

I see that disgusting and exploitive didn't work out for you so now you're doubling down with transparent dishonesty

It's in the abortion forum because one of the more common justifications for abortion is that the baby isn't human at 24 weeks (or much later than that, according to some). My thought was that this imagery would invoke a little understanding in those who deny prenatal life.

Unfortunately, I was wrong.

Get upset all you need to but an appeal to emotion here will end up causing more harm than good. The original challenge still stands. "Why should an appeal to emotion alone change mine (or anyone's) opinion about government, law, and abortion?" You put the challenge in this section of the forum, so let's get to it Lutherf.

Pro-lifers have such a morally perverse view they have no idea what a celebration is

He says over the course of two days, he sat and played and cried and sang at Lennon's side.

What kind of sicko thinks a father's despair over the imminent demise of his son is a "celebration"? :screwy

Pro-lifers have such a morally perverse view they have no idea what a celebration is

As opposed to pulling apart a living infant and scraping the remainders out of a uterus?

What kind of sicko thinks a father's despair over the imminent demise of his son is a "celebration"? :screwy

You really don't understand much, do you?

What if the would be child was going to be abused his/her parents? What if the parents weren't ready and would have had to abandon the child?

Think of the kind of people who get abortions. The reason these people get abortions isn't for the **** of having abortions, but rather because they aren't ready for a child or because the mother's health is in imminent danger.

You can say you celebrate life, but you must also say that you celebrate the suffering of others. Only then will I understand respect the pro-life side.

It's in the abortion forum because one of the more common justifications for abortion is that the baby isn't human at 24 weeks (or much later than that, according to some).

Incorrect. Nobody currently posting here says the zef is not human. Not.one.single.person.

As opposed to pulling apart a living infant

Pulling apart a living infant is illegal in my country and there is no movement to change that. I'm pretty sure it's the same in your country.

Pulling apart a living infant is illegal in my country and there is no movement to change that. I'm pretty sure it's the same in your country.

No, I don't think it is.

Abortions here are allowed up to 20 weeks of gestation. By then, the fetus is already pretty big, so sectioning for removal I think is a must. After that, I believe comes the scraping of the uterus, lest the last remaining tissues of the fetus become necrotic and infected.

No, I don't think it is.

Abortions here are allowed up to 20 weeks of gestation. By then, the fetus is already pretty big, so sectioning for removal I think is a must. After that, I believe comes the scraping of the uterus, lest the last remaining tissues of the fetus become necrotic and infected.
r
Abortions at 20 weeks are rare and almost always medically necessary. No surprise that an anti-choicer would be so dishonest to claim it was typical nor is it a surprise to see one obsessed with gore.

No, I don't think it is.

r
Abortions at 20 weeks are rare and almost always medically necessary. No surprise that an anti-choicer would be so dishonest to claim it was typical nor is it a surprise to see one obsessed with gore.

Can you substantiate your assertion that "Abortions at 20 weeks are rare and almost always medically necessary" ?

Where in that post do you see the word 'typical'? I made no such assertion.
I suggest you work on your reading comprehension skills.
You keep making up stuff and claim that people posted what you attribute to them. That IS dishonest.

Finally, I used the medically correct terminology. Not gore. Truth.

Back
Top Bottom