• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Matt Lauer Fails

Any thoughts of your own?

I watched the forum last night. Lauer put Hillary through the gauntlet and Trump through the royal treatment. He kept cutting Hillary off while letting Trump ramble on. He refused to fact-check Trump's blatant lie about not supporting the Iraq War, among other things. And OMG, that yes/no question at the end--"Are you prepared to be President on Day One?" was one of the softest questions in the history of journalism. Lauer was an absolute joke, not just for himself but for the entire NBC and MSNBC networks.

Going after Clinton regarding the emails is justified. Being beyond weak toward Trump is not.

I'm beginning to be nervous about NBC's relationship with Trump interfering with its ability to be serious in his presence. It's been a long pattern with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Looks like the liberal standard the Huffers are very disappointed in Matt. I guess he did not kiss Hillarys ass enough. I wonder how he will respond to his critics?

Matt Lauer Failed The Moderator Test | Huffington Post

He did as well as he could I think with two difficult candidates to work with--her because she can't respond to anything in other than memorized sound bites and him because he doesn't memorize what he is going to say and therefore his half sentences come across sometimes as disconnected and disorganized unless you are able to place them in their larger context. Lauer should have gotten a solemn pledge from both to not mention their opponent(s) just to see who would have been able to stick with it. But he was more aggressive in asking the tough questions of both than your average MSM representative so I'll give him props for that.

As for the q & a itself, I think we learned absolutely nothing new about either candidate from the exercise.

If I were running for President and being interviewed in primetime, I would want the interviewer to ask me the 10 toughest questions he could ask instead of 15-20 softball questions, especially if the public's confidence in me were as low as it is for these two candidates.

I watched the forum last night. Lauer put Hillary through the gauntlet and Trump through the royal treatment. He kept cutting Hillary off while letting Trump ramble on. He refused to fact-check Trump's blatant lie about not supporting the Iraq War, among other things. And OMG, that yes/no question at the end--"Are you prepared to be President on Day One?" was one of the softest questions in the history of journalism. Lauer was an absolute joke, not just for himself but for the entire NBC and MSNBC networks.

Why not? She has avoided the press. Maybe he was tired of her surrogates answers. I know I am.

Why not? She has avoided the press. Maybe he was tired of her surrogates answers. I know I am.

I also disagree that Trump got the 'royal treatment.' No way in hell Lauer supports Trump or would vote for him if he was the only candidate running. Hillary answered one question with a memorized script and pretty much filibustered the rest to avoid answering the question--Lauer was quite right to cut her off. Trump isn't the filibustering type so he needed less restraint from the moderator in that regard. Both got difficult question from Lauer however, and though I would have chosen better questions for both, I don't fault him all that much. Neither candidate looked really good in that setting. Neither hurt himself or herself or helped himself or herself from where I sit. And we the voter are not better off for having watched that.

I also disagree that Trump got the 'royal treatment.' No way in hell Lauer supports Trump or would vote for him if he was the only candidate running. Hillary answered one question with a memorized script and pretty much filibustered the rest to avoid answering the question--Lauer was quite right to cut her off. Trump isn't the filibustering type so he needed less restraint from the moderator in that regard. Both got difficult question from Lauer however, and though I would have chosen better questions for both, I don't fault him all that much. Neither candidate looked really good in that setting. Neither hurt himself or herself or helped himself or herself from where I sit. And we the voter are not better off for having watched that.

You can see by the other comments that Hillary is not the only one that thinks she is special. People are actually upset that she wasn't treated like the queen they believe her to be. Amazing, the gullibility concerning her is epidemic.

The forum on NBC last night was rather painful to watch.
Hillary had trouble counting to 4 lives lost in Libya. .And her talking down to the service man was rather disgusting. She failed in trying to defend her record.
Trump on the other hand worst answer was probably about the U.S. should have taken control of the Iraqi oil. Yes evidently he thinks with brute force we should have taken control of the oil fields. That's what the left accused Bush of doing if you recall. Remember their chant "NO BLOOD FOR OIL" And we Republicans were saying that's BS that was not on the agenda. Well evidently Trump thought it was a good idea. Then there is this unhealthy infatuation Trump has with Putin reared its head again. And I laughed my ass off when Mr. Illegal's got to go Trump claiming it would be good for illegals to serve in our armed forces. And the next really big belly laugh is when he stated he could read the body language of those giving him his intelligence briefings and could tell they were unhappy with Obama.

Worst.Election.Ever.

That is a lie. She has given over 200 interviews in the last year. That's more than one every other day.

Speaking of which, despite the hideous treatment of her last night, she decides to hold another press conference the very next morning. This woman ain't afraid.

It seems to be about word play with Hillary and her press relations. She has been doing small local sit down mom and pop style interviews. IMO to try and look more like a common person instead of the royalty she thinks and acts like she is. Clinton has not had a large MSM style press conference in close to a year.

So typical Clinton fashion it all comes down to definitions.

Going after Clinton regarding the emails is justified. Being beyond weak toward Trump is not.

I'm beginning to be nervous about NBC's relationship with Trump interfering with its ability to be serious in his presence. It's been a long pattern with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Well, I think people who either A) worked with Trump or B) had a relationship with people who worked on the apprentice have to be very cautious. Therefore NBC has to be very cautious around Trump. But Howard Stern also has a relationship with the network.

Trump was given semi-soft questions and he still came across like deer in headlights on foreign/veteran affairs...imagine how moronic he would have sounded if he had been given some really tough questions or pressured to answer questions about his business and personal his track record, including lies.....no one takes him to task for any of it....it's like watching the a grade school soccer match where every kid on the losing team gets a high 5 and participation trophies so feelings don't get hurt. Trump never looses because no one wants to deal with the temper tantrum that would follow? Isn't anyone else tired of hearing he brag about beating 16 others and getting the most votes on record?....New flash Trump....this is the general now....you need more than 14 million votes to win won!

I didn't watch the forum, but it's obvious that different people perceive things differently.

HRC interrupted 7x, sheepishly
DJT interrupted 13x, forcefully

Lauer's tone/body language = pure bias #NBCNewsForum pic.twitter.com/3D9ZfqeYCq

— КГБ Border Patrol (@FacMagnaAmerica) September 8, 2016

https://twitter.com/FacMagnaAmerica/status/773754101272342529/video/1

Be sure to watch that video.

You can see by the other comments that Hillary is not the only one that thinks she is special. People are actually upset that she wasn't treated like the queen they believe her to be.

No, not one comment has even remotely approached that.

No wonder you're so confused. You can't seem to read simply English.

For some reason, the media continually allow Trump to get away with the blatant lie that he opposed the war in Iraq.

I didn't watch the forum, but it's obvious that different people perceive things differently.

Be sure to watch that video.

You're seriously going to run on the lie that Trump was the one given a harsher treatment last night?? That ridiculous assertion has zero basis in facts.

You're seriously going to run on the lie that Trump was the one given a harsher treatment last night?? That ridiculous assertion has zero basis in facts.

Me?? I'm not running on anything.

I'm simply pointing out that different people have different perceptions. Do you dispute my point?

appears i am in a distinct minority. my impression was that lauer did a decent job. he was even-handed

hillary started out conforming to the agreement entered into immediately prior to the interview; that the candidates would respond with their own agendas and proposals rather than attacking their opponent. but she could not hold to the agtreement, and lauer rightfully gave tRump the same latitude

the questions to hillary regarding her email snafu helped her in my estimation. she was able to forcefully communicate that she never violated security protocol by sending a security-tagged email

similarly, lauer persisted with tRump after tRump insisted he would always answer questions truthfully, by quoting the candidate's statement about knowing more about how to deal with isis than the generals. that, in turn, led tRump to disparage the nation's general corps and intimate that he would intrude on the military's flag rank promotion practices by selecting his own general staff

my biggest complaint about lauer's moderation was that his questions were not as narrowly focued on the military and veteran issues as i believe they should have been. for instance, hillary's email issue has almost nothing to do with those topics

the NBC talent responsible to identifying members of the attendees should receive a promotion for her good work. the questions she found from the assembled veterans were the best portions of the discussions

Me?? I'm not running on anything.

I'm simply pointing out that different people have different perceptions. Do you dispute my point?

Of course they do. That's why nearly half this nation believes in creationism, for example.

I missed the Hillary part but caught the Trump part. I thought Lauer was going after Trump pretty good. I even asked my wife (who had seen the Hillary part) if Lauer was as tough on Hillary as he was being with Trump and she said yes. Methinks the liberal media were upset with Lauer for going after Hillary at all, especially regarding the email thing. I thought it was hilarious that today Hillary was trying to imply that trump was giving away national secrets to Lauer in the interview - the person who the FBI said was being extremely careless with her email server. What a partisan hypocrite!

Back
Top Bottom