• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mark Wahlberg: It’s Time For Hollywood To Shut Up About Politics

Seriously!? :roll: Are you really suggestion that he has a mental illness because he is saying he knows what it's like to live in a household as a young child where his family lived pay check to pay check in a tough working poor neighbor in Boston?

Yes. I'm saying that all of those years of posing in his underwear with Kate Moss did indeed warp his perspective.

exactly right

free speech, it's not for all... :lol:

Celebrities are welcome to say whatever they want.

However, they should follow wise advice. Like this:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

It is apparent that removing all doubt is the preferred course of many celebrities.

They seem to have learned little but think it's much, hold as truths things that are false and speak with assured confidence on topics they don't understand.

The quote above is variously attributed to various sources. Celebrities who ignore its wisdom reinforce its meaning.

Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt | Quote Investigator

Really, please explain.

Please explain why I don't think being paid millions of dollars to pose in my underwear with Kate Moss would prepare me to understand the plight of the "everyday guy"?

Whatever any of them say, it's no more and no less than one person's opinion.

Everyone should stop treating it as more than just that.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

While it is just one person's opinion, it is so revealing.

These folks are idiots who see only one side of any issue.

In a debating class, we had a two part mid term. The second part was not revealed until the first part was completed.

We were to support or oppose a particular then-current event. Mine was the mining of the harbors in North Viet Nam. Part two was to take the opposition view point and present that debate.

To understand any topic, you really need to be able to present BOTH sides of the debate convincingly.

Please explain why I don't think being paid millions of dollars to pose in my underwear with Kate Moss would prepare me to understand the plight of the "everyday guy"?

Isn't' that called capitalism? You can come from a very poor upbringing and hit it big through hard work and talent?

Isn't' that called capitalism? You can come from a very poor upbringing and hit it big through hard work and talent?

My older brother wasn't a pivotal member of the most successful and popular boy band in America either.
His appeal to populism fails to move me.
I guess YMMV, and all that...

Yes. I do.

In your link, it sounds like he committed some racially motivated, disgusting and hurtful acts in his youth and has since become a model citizen raising money for the disadvantaged and is now pretty much the opposite of what he was then.

It sounds like a story of reformation and redemption.

What am I missing?

My older brother wasn't a pivotal member of the most successful and popular boy band in America either.

He didn't land in that band without plenty of hard work and grit.

Whatever any of them say, it's no more and no less than one person's opinion.

Everyone should stop treating it as more than just that.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

so you admit you post opinions you agree with.

yer more of a rick james fan, huh?

I haven't lamented over Wahlberg, You seem to think that presenting a contrarian view to yours deserves stupid, irrelevant questions such as whether I'm "out there" working to restore convicted felons' rights.
I think his statement is certainly a red flag for mental illness.

So, first he has a big problem with Hollywood-types giving their opinion about politics...as he states in his opinion about politics. *cough*hypocrite*cough*

And he is saying that he is in touch with the common man.

Riiiiiiiight.

Maybe he was long, LONG ago. But he has not been in touch with the common man for about two decades.

I don't give a **** what Hollywood stars say about politics. But I am not about to tell them not to exercise their right to free speech. It's one thing to disagree with what they say - it's another entirely to try and shut them up.
Can you cite a single comment in the referenced article, the cited article in which he actually gave the comments, or the recorded interview where he attempts to deny anyone their rights to free speech or to 'shut them up'?

simple. you only protest opinions from people you disagree with.

Not protesting opinions, more accurately protesting those who treat Celebutard's opinions as having more validity or value somehow.
Sheeple I think they are called.

The problem isn't celebrities commenting on politics. They have the same right to an opinion and to express that opinion as anyone.

The problem is society placing more importance on the opinions of celebrities simply because they are celebrities. A celebrity endorsement should be given the same weight as an endorsement from a grocery store cashier or a truck driver.

Not protesting opinions, more accurately protesting those who treat Celebutard's opinions as having more validity or value somehow.

show me all the posts you made protesting opinions by celebrities that you agree with, then

whoops

The problem isn't celebrities commenting on politics. They have the same right to an opinion and to express that opinion as anyone.

The problem is society placing more importance on the opinions of celebrities simply because they are celebrities. A celebrity endorsement should be given the same weight as an endorsement from a grocery store cashier or a truck driver.

but it's OK for the right wing to endlessly parrot pundits like Rush Limbaugh and Bill O Reilly

Wahlberg did terrible things when he was younger. He spent only 45 days in prison, but this experience clued him in. Long ago.

The "typical Trump supporter" is not a convicted felon.

And the typical person who lives in Hollywood doesn't live in a bubble.

Oy vey.

show me all the posts you made protesting opinions by celebrities that you agree with, then

whoops

This site has a search function. I leave it to you, if you are so interested.

For myself, I don't recall that I've ever posting anything in support of a celebrity's opinion, and especially not a post of mine which somehow gives that celebrity's opinion more validity than any other single person's opinion.

Back
Top Bottom