• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Love Steak? Pros Share Their Favorite Cuts

I don't doubt it, but if your going to a place with an ACTUAL butcher, you're already over paying for your meat. Grocery stores don't have butchers, you gotta go to a boutique place for that, and they charge a premium. You are NEVER going to find a merlot cut at the grocery store, they only carry what is popular, and available through pre butchered meats. They employ cutters, who only know how to cut primal pieces into steaks. Hand them the entire cow, and they'd be lost.

I love steak , but my taste in steak is very plain. Filet mignon, heavy with cracked black pepper, cooked medium and fast, on a range-top grill.

Ribeye for me- burnt on the outside while raw on the inside slathered with melted butter. Im also partial to NY strip, T-bone porterhouse and tenderloin.

On the side: hash brown potatoes, creamed spinach and some good bread.

x5rLJJc.jpg

Ribeye for me- burnt on the outside while raw on the inside slathered with melted butter. Im also partial to NY strip, T-bone porterhouse and tenderloin.

Same here. If you go to Longhorn Steakhouse, order it Pittsburgh rare. It's charred on the outside and rare in the center. They cook the hell out of a ribeye (in a good way). The outlaw ribeye that they have is probably one of the best steaks I've ever had, and they know how to cook it. I've never sent a steak back at Longhorn.

If you go to Outback Steakhouse, do NOT order it Pittsburgh rare. They don't know how to cook it, so they just lay the steak in the coals and let it burn to a crisp, and then act all surprised when you complain about the burnt taste. In one dinner with my husband, my 2 daughters and myself, we sent back a total of 9 steaks, and finally just gave up and went home.

Same here. If you go to Longhorn Steakhouse, order it Pittsburgh rare. It's charred on the outside and rare in the center. They cook the hell out of a ribeye (in a good way). The outlaw ribeye that they have is probably one of the best steaks I've ever had, and they know how to cook it. I've never sent a steak back at Longhorn.

I heard many terms for outside char and inside raw- in some places they call it Texas style too.

If you go to Outback Steakhouse, do NOT order it Pittsburgh rare. They don't know how to cook it, so they just lay the steak in the coals and let it burn to a crisp, and then act all surprised when you complain about the burnt taste. In one dinner with my husband, my 2 daughters and myself, we sent back a total of 9 steaks, and finally just gave up and went home.
LOL you sent back 9 steaks to the kitchen? :lol:

I just cant bring myself to do that because who knows what they would do to the food you reorder- if the food is bad I just wont ever go back again.

There is an Outback branch about 40 minutes form my house, they made a decent steak about 15 years ago. I went back there last year and ordered the same steak- it was terrible and they ddint have the bloomin' onion on the menu either! That really pissed me off and so Im never going back again. :censored

LOL you sent back 9 steaks to the kitchen? :lol:

I just cant bring myself to do that because who knows what they would do to the food you reorder- if the food is bad I just wont ever go back again.

There is an Outback branch about 40 minutes form my house, they made a decent steak about 15 years ago. I went back there last year and ordered the same steak- it was terrible and they ddint have the bloomin' onion on the menu either! That really pissed me off and so Im never going back again. :censored

9 steaks. We ordered our steaks - 4 of them. My husband's was a $30 Porterhouse that was supposed to be rare, and it was well-done, and very tough. My middle daughter's was cold. My youngest daughter's was covered in some spicy seasoning that burned her throat, and mine was covered in salt to the point that it tasted like a salt lick. The 2nd round wasn't any better. Cold or cooked wrong. That's when they threw my steak on the open coals and just let it burn. It came out looking like a charcoal briquette. It was just a nightmare. And it was my birthday.

We sent an email to corporate, and the general manager called us, and gave us $80 in coupons to come back. We did, and it was mediocre. My steak really had no flavor, but we gave it one more shot. Honestly, the only reason we ever went there was because of the Onion, and the last few times we'd gone, the onion was overcooked and just sopped in oil. You pull off some of the petals, and oil just pours out on the plate. We drive about 25 minutes to get there, and then that? We're done. Not going back. If we want a good steak, we'll either cook it at home, or go to Longhorn.

I don't usually take the time to do steaks right, but like to cook rib-eye and strip steaks.
The right way (at least from what I have heard) is to clarify about 1/2 cup of butter,
brush on clarified butter and seasonings, sear meat about 30 seconds on each side,
then grill to preference.

Dumb click farm article.

Sirloin cap is yummy, the rest is a stretch.

the "las vegas cut" is malarky

Tri-tip is not comprable to strip

rib eye's don't need to be basted, therefore the idea that you can substitute a chuck eye and simply baste it is bunk.

Bah.

I'm afraid to send anything back at a restaurant. You never know what they'll do to your food back there.

In chain restaurants where consistency is no guarantee (Outback, Longhorn, etc.) I usually order bleu cheese crumbles or something like that on the side (they often offer things to put on top of the steak). If the steak is good I'll ignore the topping and just eat the steak. If the steak is less than good, I'll go ahead and put the topping on it to give it some flavor. I've had great steaks at those chains and I've had very crappy ones. I go in there expecting to eat an average to below average steak with a topping on it and occasionally I'm surprised and end up eating a great steak that needs no topping.

I'm afraid to send anything back at a restaurant. You never know what they'll do to your food back there.

In chain restaurants where consistency is no guarantee (Outback, Longhorn, etc.) I usually order bleu cheese crumbles or something like that on the side (they often offer things to put on top of the steak). If the steak is good I'll ignore the topping and just eat the steak. If the steak is less than good, I'll go ahead and put the topping on it to give it some flavor. I've had great steaks at those chains and I've had very crappy ones. I go in there expecting to eat an average to below average steak with a topping on it and occasionally I'm surprised and end up eating a great steak that needs no topping.

See you are optimistic. :lol: Me? Not so much. We eat out a lot so I am so used to getting the short end of the stick.

I will agree that blue cheese crumbles are fantastic on steak, but somehow, that was even messed up on my last visit to Outback. The steak had no flavor, so I thought I'd add some, and even then, it was just off.

The king of steaks.

bone_in_cowboy1337497388421.jpg

Attachments

• bone_in_cowboy1337497388421.jpg
    bone_in_cowboy1337497388421.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 62

At the restauraunts i go to they fix the problem and apologize profusely. Often the chef will come out to make sure i am happy.

Better idea dont eat at chains.

I LOVE ribeye. Medium rare. But I like to play around with steak too. I recently tried a new marinade with a tbone or any cheap steaks I get.

Chipotle tobasco, onion salt, apple cider vinegar, and do that overnight. For just a little big of a grab to the spice put in some Montreal steak seasoning.

It is spicy, but not crazy spicy. The onion salt puts a good flavor, if is smokey, and you can taste the apple. It is great for those steak cuts that aren't grand.

There's a butcher shop just up the street from my office that offers something called an "Ugly Steak" which is actually the tip part of the Sirloin. It's not a ridiculously expensive cut (usually about $12/lb) but it's absolutely perfect for the grill.

I don't doubt it, but if your going to a place with an ACTUAL butcher, you're already over paying for your meat. Grocery stores don't have butchers, you gotta go to a boutique place for that, and they charge a premium. You are NEVER going to find a merlot cut at the grocery store, they only carry what is popular, and available through pre butchered meats. They employ cutters, who only know how to cut primal pieces into steaks. Hand them the entire cow, and they'd be lost.

Butchers can be very cost effective, just have to go to a butcher shop that deals with whole carcasses. The price of the meat per pound when having a butcher cut the carcass for you is very favorable when everything is said done and accounted for. I highly recommend it especially if you freeze meat.

Butchers can be very cost effective, just have to go to a butcher shop that deals with whole carcasses. The price of the meat per pound when having a butcher cut the carcass for you is very favorable when everything is said done and accounted for. I highly recommend it especially if you freeze meat.

Yeah, but the problem is, for me at least, that no such place exists in the north east. Maybe out west, that's a more popular thing. But here in CT...a place that employs an ACTUAL butcher....a guy who can take a cow, and turn it into various cuts of meat....well, I haven't seen it yet. Even places that are boutique meat places...the kinda place that will offer a prime, dry aged, bone in rib eye steak at 30 bucks per pound or more, doesn't employe a guy who takes a cow, and turns it into meat.

Outback sucks. I believe that bribery was used to achieve the Zagat rating they did.

I don't usually take the time to do steaks right, but like to cook rib-eye and strip steaks.
The right way (at least from what I have heard) is to clarify about 1/2 cup of butter,
brush on clarified butter and seasonings, sear meat about 30 seconds on each side,
then grill to preference.

That IS the correct way. Also important, take the steak out of the fridge a couple hours before grilling...let it get to room temp. THEN grill.

I've worked in restaurants my whole life, and I have never once witnessed anyone spitting in food or the like. You send a steak back, you get an entirely new steak, unless it's to get MORE well done. I've worked at both classy places, and less classy places.

Back
Top Bottom