• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Krauthammer pegs Trump campaign correctly

haymarket

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Charles Krauthammer has an excellent column in the Washington Post in which he nails the Trump campaign to the wall and correctly identifies what are the factors in the turn around which has led to a closing in the polls and now looks like there even might be an election win for Trump in November.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...7bbd53d2b5d_story.html?utm_term=.6a58d9f609bd

Nervy. Can you really repackage the boasting, bullying, bombastic, insulting, insensitive Trump into a mellow and caring version? With two months to go? In a digital age in which every past outrage is preserved on imperishable video?

Turns out, yes. How? Deflect and deny — and pretend it never happened. Where are they now — the birtherism, the deportation force, the scorn for teleprompters, the mocking of candidates who take outside money? Down the memory hole.

Orwell was wrong. You don’t need repression. You need only the sensory overload of an age of numbingly ephemeral social media. In this surreal election season, there is no past.

Clinton ads keep showing actual Trump sound bites meant to shock. Yet her numbers are dropping, his rising.

How? Trump never goes on the defensive. He merely creates new Trumps. Hence:

1. The African American blitz. It’s a new pose and the novelty shows. Trump is not very familiar with the language. He occasionally slips, for example, into referring to “ the blacks.” And his argument that African Americans inhabit a living hell and therefore have nothing to lose by voting for him hovers somewhere between condescension and insult.

But, as every living commentator has noted, the foray into African American precincts was not aimed at winning black votes but at countering Trump’s general image as the bigoted candidate of white people.

Result? A curious dynamic in which Clinton keeps upping the accusatory ante just as Trump keeps softening his tone — until she finds herself way over the top, landing in a basket of deplorables, a phrase that will haunt her until Election Day. (Politics 101: Never attack the voter.)

2. The immigration wobble. A week of nonstop word salad about illegal immigration left everyone confused about what Trump really believes. Genius. The only message to emerge from the rhetorical fog is that he is done talking about deportation and/or legalization. The very discussion is off the table until years down the road.

Case closed. Toxic issue detoxified.

I do not think any of this is new to people who have followed Trump closely and have been paying attention. But for me, this is scary as all hell bursting forth at the seams on Halloween night in a Stephen King novel that the American people - at least some of the American people - are willing to give this proven liar restart after restart and allow him to reinvent himself time and time again.

Krauthammer is a must read.

Nice one, TTWT. Haymarket always things he's finally nailed someone, only to fail. :lamo

Nice one, TTWT. Haymarket always things he's finally nailed someone, only to fail. :lamo

Do you not know the difference between Charles Krauthammer and me?:doh:roll:

It is Krauthammer who nailed Trump in his piece. I merely performed the service of providing it here for the education and illumination of our membership.

Do you not know the difference between Charles Krauthammer and me?:
doh:roll:

It is Krauthammer who nailed Trump in his piece. I merely performed the service of providing it here for the education and illumination of our membership.

I do. Krauthammer is a pretty smart guy.

Usually after he's been given a practical use, and hung on a nail in the outhouse.
I enjoy reading the guy, even when I disagree or he is wrong.

What can I say?

(and I do often disagree with him)

Do you not know the difference between Charles Krauthammer and me?:doh:roll:

Hahaha, whatever.

I enjoy reading the guy, even when I disagree or he is wrong.

What can I say?

(and I do often disagree with him)
He's a smart guy, no doubt. He's a very accomplished psychiatrist.

You got nailed in this thread by post #2. You're done. :lol:

As usual - you have no idea what you are talking about since all post 2 does is provide the usual knee jerk response..... oh if Trump is bad then Clinton is worse .... you mentioned the Koch brothers so I will mention George Soros ..... forget about Trumps tax records - what about Hillary's health ... and all the other knee jerk responses the right uses when they cannot get around reality.

Post 2 had nothing in it showing Krauthammer was wrong.

You should really try to get over this obsession with me. either that or finally step up to the plate and actually try to debate for the first time using substance, evidence , analysis and actual argument instead of your usual 'nah nah nah nah nah nah' carping which only makes you look like you have some personal grudge.

As usual - you have no idea what you are talking about since all post 2 does is provide the usual knee jerk response..... oh if Trump is bad then Clinton is worse .... you mentioned the Koch brothers so I will mention George Soros ..... forget about Trumps tax records - what about Hillary's health ... and all the other knee jerk responses the right uses when they cannot get around reality.

Post 2 had nothing in it showing Krauthammer was wrong.

You should really try to get over this obsession with me. either that or finally step up to the plate and actually try to debate for the first time using substance, evidence , analysis and actual argument instead of your usual 'nah nah nah nah nah nah' carping which only makes you look like you have some personal grudge.

Yeah, but the critique on Hillary is by the same person. So it takes all the wind out of your sails, and makes your information of little to no value.

Yeah, but the critique on Hillary is by the same person. So it takes all the wind out of your sails, and makes your information of little to no value.

It does nothing of the kind. The column presented stands on its own validity and contains its own message. It is the knee jerk response need comparable to Pavlov's salivating dogs that causes some to have to bring up Clinton in response.

Doing that may show that all crap stinks - but it does nothing to deny the stink of the crap Krauthammer wrote about in his Trump column today.

It does nothing of the kind. The column presented stands on its own validity and contains its own message. It is the knee jerk response need comparable to Pavlov's salivating dogs that causes some to have to bring up Clinton in response.

Doing that may show that all crap stinks - but it does nothing to deny the stink of the crap Krauthammer wrote about in his Trump column today.

Krauthammer won't be pulling the handle for Hillary, don't kid yourself.

Charles Krauthammer has an excellent column in the Washington Post in which he nails the Trump campaign to the wall and correctly identifies what are the factors in the turn around which has led to a closing in the polls and now looks like there even might be an election win for Trump in November.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...7bbd53d2b5d_story.html?utm_term=.6a58d9f609bd

I do not think any of this is new to people who have followed Trump closely and have been paying attention. But for me, this is scary as all hell bursting forth at the seams on Halloween night in a Stephen King novel that the American people - at least some of the American people - are willing to give this proven liar restart after restart and allow him to reinvent himself time and time again.

There is a good chance Trump will be president...and, although KH is correct that a pol should never attack the voter, our voters are pretty ****ing stupid.

Krauthammer won't be pulling the handle for Hillary, don't kid yourself.

I don't and never said he would. I suspect Krauthammer is like many principled National Review/William Buckley/William Kristol style Republicans who are truly sick about this whole mess and will not vote for either in November.

There is a good chance Trump will be president...and, although KH is correct that a pol should never attack the voter, our voters are pretty ****ing stupid.

Some of them seem to be. Others no so much.

There was a good discussion between some talking heads on the tube the other day asking what happens to the angry blue collar Trump supporter who will vote for him because he sees his life vanishing and his life style gone with the wind in the 21st century. West Virginia rural coal miners are a good example .... Michigan and Ohio factory workers also fit this ....... farmers who cannot compete against agri-corporations also fit ..... they will support Trump because he voices their discontent and fears. What happens if Trump wins and he cannot do anything about turning the clock back thirty or forty years and give them back the life they remember so nostalgically? What do they do then?

I don't and never said he would. I suspect Krauthammer is like many principled National Review/William Buckley/William Kristol style Republicans who are truly sick about this whole mess and will not vote for either in November.
Your suspicions mean nothing here.

Your suspicions mean nothing here.

If that is true- you have to get rid of all the speculative posts about future events on this site including yours and that would reduce traffic mightily.

Do you want to do that?

Or is this just about me again as your perceived ideological enemy who needs to be slapped at?

Some of them seem to be. Others no so much.

There was a good discussion between some talking heads on the tube the other day asking what happens to the angry blue collar Trump supporter who will vote for him because he sees his life vanishing and his life style gone with the wind in the 21st century. West Virginia rural coal miners are a good example .... Michigan and Ohio factory workers also fit this ....... farmers who cannot compete against agri-corporations also fit ..... they will support Trump because he voices their discontent and fears. What happens if Trump wins and he cannot do anything about turning the clock back thirty or forty years and give them back the life they remember so nostalgically? What do they do then?

Easy--blame the Democrats.

I have an easier way to describe Trump's rise to power. In a phrase Trump is the Clickbait candidate for the millennial generation.

The only thing failing is America. Sen. Clinton or Mr. Trump will be the nail in the coffin. The only question is, which one will get even richer selling us out.

My only question at this point is, are we seeing Mr. Trump rising or Sen. Clinton falling?

Back
Top Bottom