• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Jon Stewart Marvels At Fox News’ Pivot To Romney

I like Ron Paul, but there is no way he's going to be elected president. At best, he has been able to express some ideas and maybe sway some people's opinions. But, if enough people decide to vote for him, it will split the Republican vote and make a second Obama term much more likely. If that's OK, then by all means, vote Ron Paul. If he gets a high enough percentage of the vote, maybe people will begin to sit up and take notice of his philosophy.

I agree with you that he won't be elected. I don't care. I'm tired of holding my nose and voting. I like Paul's stance on all of my big decision points I use to vote for a candidate. In addition, many of his ideas have opened the eyes of the public to what it could be like without a big brother gov't. It is ok for me to personally vote for who I believe in. If we could get others to do the same instead of toeing the line, we'd get somewhere.

This argument of whether Romney represents the tea party values is absolutely ridiculous... Last I checked tea party values meant smaller government, lower taxes, less intruisive government and a strict interpretation of the constitution... Romney has a record of doing just that as Governor of MA... and his policy is to lower corporate and capital gains taxes, remove restrictive regulations, and downsize the federal personnel... Ron Paul if elected would never be able to accomplish those things... Romney actually can... If you're a tea party member you should be thrilled that Romney actually gives you a legitimate chance to accomplish those things...

This argument of whether Romney represents the tea party values is absolutely ridiculous... Last I checked tea party values meant smaller government, lower taxes, less intruisive government and a strict interpretation of the constitution... Romney has a record of doing just that as Governor of MA... and his policy is to lower corporate and capital gains taxes, remove restrictive regulations, and downsize the federal personnel... Ron Paul if elected would never be able to accomplish those things... Romney actually can... If you're a tea party member you should be thrilled that Romney actually gives you a legitimate chance to accomplish those things...

Yeah, mandated health care is exactly what I would want my state gov't to do. Not to mention the fact that his state fell 10 places in job growth from 27th to 37th during his tenure due in part to his collapsing his values to fit to his overwhelmingly left leaning state congress. One of the best qualities of the Tea Party is it's refusal to bend its values to the times. Romney is the antithesis of that.

Yeah, mandated health care is exactly what I would want my state gov't to do. Not to mention the fact that his state fell 10 places in job growth from 27th to 37th during his tenure due in part to his collapsing his values to fit to his overwhelmingly left leaning state congress. One of the best qualities of the Tea Party is it's refusal to bend its values to the times. Romney is the antithesis of that.

Not to mention the fact that the claim that he cut taxes is bogus. He lowered some rates but jacked up fees to an insane degree and cut tons of deductions. The net effect was that he raised taxes.

I agree with you that he won't be elected. I don't care. I'm tired of holding my nose and voting. I like Paul's stance on all of my big decision points I use to vote for a candidate. In addition, many of his ideas have opened the eyes of the public to what it could be like without a big brother gov't. It is ok for me to personally vote for who I believe in. If we could get others to do the same instead of toeing the line, we'd get somewhere.

Well said. The voting for the lesser of two evils is a self fulfilling prophecy.

But now that there are no other viable candidates, you will bow to who is put before you just like any other "conservative". BTW, I never questioned your "principles at a conservative" (I know you meant as a conservative). I am questioning your principles as a voting American. If citizens continue to vote for the candidates put up by the 2 main politicial parties, citizens will continue to get the same results. Your statement "But even a moderate Romney is better than Obama" is the proof that your are one of such citizens. This is based off my assumption that you will vote for Romney based off of your statements. If you are not going to vote for Romney, then by all means I owe you an apology. But I sense this is not the case. You will be in line like all of the other automaton citizens picking between 2 people when it isn't necessary. Romney is the latest hold your nose and vote candidate from the Republican party.

And you plan to stay home on Election Day? I voted for Bush twice, that first time I didn't know what a big spender he was, and the second time I wasn't going to let a clown in office just to prove I didn't like the fact that he let Kennedy write the education bill. Did I like everything about Bush, no. Who is running that you find perfect? It must be Obama, because you plan to sit home with your hands in your pockets. I didn't vote for Romney during the Virginia primary.

Well said. The voting for the lesser of two evils is a self fulfilling prophecy.

The voting for the lesser of two evils is an improvement of the original evil. Do I love it, hell no. Stay home and vote for Obama.

And you plan to stay home on Election Day? I voted for Bush twice, that first time I didn't know what a big spender he was, and the second time I wasn't going to let a clown in office just to prove I didn't like the fact that he let Kennedy write the education bill. Did I like everything about Bush, no. Who is running that you find perfect? It must be Obama, because you plan to sit home with your hands in your pockets. I didn't vote for Romney during the Virginia primary.

Nope, I plan to write in Ron Paul. That you voted for Bush the second time further cements you status as a typical automaton Republican voter. Automaton, toe the line Republicans are the exact people politicians like Romney and McCain prey upon. Voters they know don't have the balls to write in a candidate or veer from the mainstream but also won't vote for the Democrat because he's so against everything the believe in. Guys like Romney and McCain do just enough to keep from being confused with a liberal but not enough to distinguish themselves from them. Basically, you're voting for Obama-lite.

Nope, I plan to write in Ron Paul.

Which is the same thing as voting for Obama.

I'd love for there to be a real and viable third option, but realistically, there is not.

Voters they know don't have the balls to write in a candidate or veer from the mainstream

As opposed to having zero balls as shown by the inability to vote for someone that actually stands a chance? Instead of writing in someone that doesn't have a chance in hell, and that nobody but yourself see's as a 'protest' of any kind?

Which is the same thing as voting for Obama.

I'd love for there to be a real and viable third option, but realistically, there is not.
Actually its not. You see there are a few differences.
1) Obama is spelled O-b-a-m-a Paul is spelled P-a-u-l. Different names
2) Obama is black, Paul is white
3) Obama is a leftist, Paul is a constitutionalist
I could keep going with the satire, but I won't
As opposed to having zero balls as shown by the inability to vote for someone that actually stands a chance? Instead of writing in someone that doesn't have a chance in hell, and that nobody but yourself see's as a 'protest' of any kind?

So, by your definition, being a fairweather fan is the only way to go? Only vote for the sure winner? Vote for the guy you know is going to make it, even if you have your doubts? Even if you don't like him as a candidate? I think voting for Romney is exactly what you should do. He likes going with the winner too instead of sticking to his values. Sounds like the perfect candidate for you.

Actually its not. You see there are a few differences.

You skipped the main difference: One is electable, the other is a wasted vote for someone that can not win.

There are no perfect candidates. Even if Paul was electable, he's a moron when it comes to national security. So the point is (unfortunately) to vote for the one that will do the least harm.

You skipped the main difference: One is electable, the other is a wasted vote for someone that can not win.

There are no perfect candidates. Even if Paul was electable, he's a moron when it comes to national security. So the point is (unfortunately) to vote for the one that will do the least harm.

Why is he a moron on national security? Have you had to fight in any of these unsubstantiated wars? I have fought in both. Its not fun fighting for something you don't believe in because you signed a contract. Pray tell, what would your national security strategy be?
As far as electability, he isn't electable because he isn't mainstream and endorsed by the neocons and RINOs. As I said earlier, if people like Rubio and Bachmann were TRUE Tea Partiers, they would've been behind Paul from the beginning. As it is, they're falling in line like the rest.

The voting for the lesser of two evils is an improvement of the original evil. Do I love it, hell no. Stay home and vote for Obama.

Voting for the lesser of two evils ensures that you will eventually be voting for an Obama with a R next to his name. If you don't believe me then look at Bush, Look and McCain and then look at Romney.The choices went from bad to worse each presidential election in this century.

Last edited:
No i think the reason why the conservatives dont like Mitt is because he flip flops so much that no one knows where he will stand.

The reason conservatives don't like Romney is because he is a liberal republican with a known track record of being a liberal republican. The fact he has flipped is a secondary reason why conservatives don't like Romney.

Voting for the lesser of two evils ensures that you will eventually be voting for an Obama with a R next to his name. If you don't believe me then look at Bush, Look and McCain and then look at Romney.The choices went form bad to worse every presidential term.

Bush was an Obama with an R after his name, wasn't he?

Hope and change... well, it's better than despair and stagnation to be sure, but what changed?

Why is he a moron on national security?

If you have to ask....

As far as electability, he isn't electable because he isn't mainstream and endorsed by the neocons and RINOs. As I said earlier, if people like Rubio and Bachmann were TRUE Tea Partiers, they would've been behind Paul from the beginning. As it is, they're falling in line like the rest.

This sounds a lot like a liberal argument I have heard ad nauseam. In there case it is any (D) that does something bad, is not really a (D), they are just an (R) in hiding. Silly stuff.

Huh. National security is the one policy area where I think Paul has it right.

Why would anyone "marvel" at this turn of events. Romney is the nominee, time to close ranks. We now have the choice of candidate A or B. Depending on your choice that person is now the greatest thing since slice bread.

Why would anyone "marvel" at this turn of events. Romney is the nominee, time to close ranks. We now have the choice of candidate A or B. Depending on your choice that person is now the greatest thing since slice bread.

It indicates that Fox News lacks in journalistic and or editorial integrity.

Shocking...Jon Stewart is obsessed with Fox News! Who knew????
I guess you don't watch the show.

He spends entire nights ragging on CNN.

Perhaps you should get better informed before opening your mouth and making ignorant comments.

And certain similarly obsessed feeble minded liberals lap it up like dehydrated dogs. Who KNEW???? I mean...seriously???? :shock:

I guess you're not familiar with recent studies proving that the 'feeble-minded' and racist tend to lean right.

Again, get better informed before opening your mouth.

He didn't collapse his values... he was overriden by the 85% Democratic legislature... he vetoed more than any prior governor... he also fought for a constitutional ammendment to the constitution to counter the Supreme Court's decision... as far as the mandate goes, there's no problem with mandating people not to cost taxpayers money at their expense... and it saved $300M... He also got that 85% Democratic legislature to cut the income tax from 5.3% to 5% temporarily, and he pushed for a cut in the sales tax from 5% to 2.5%... he laid off numerous overpaid and redundant executives, and wrote their positions out of the budget...

But, that's actually the worst part about the Tea Party, and why there's been nothing accomplished in Washington, since Tea Party representatives are there dragging their feet about budget reform proposals...

Also, though, the Tea Party said nothing about social values... many of the Tea Party members are libertarian... including the guy you claim is the grandfather of the movement, Ron Paul... who says stay the eff out of our lives.. not "you better be pro-life"...

However, it's pretty safe to say you don't have a clue what you're talking about...

Back
Top Bottom