• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is a Mormon a Christian?

אוטואנטישמיות‎ רועם

since Mormons consider all non-Mormons to be Gentiles, including Christians, I would say no....Mormons are not Christians.

ok.. which of the many Christian denominations is the one true Christian church?

certainly not the one that says that all humans are literal children of God.

Christianity is about Christ. Note the root word: Christianity. It's about the belief that Jesus is the Christ; it is about believing in who Jesus claimed to be, and in what he tried to teach us; and in seeking to follow the example that he set for us.

You might as well say that someone who believes that fortune cookies are of Chinese origin cannot be a Christian, for all the sense that you have made so far as to your judgements of who is or is not a Christian.

Not that there is any reason why anyone should consider you qualified to judge who is or is not a Christian, even if your attempts so far to do so hadn't consisted of such absurd and ignorant non-sequiturs.

I have seen a couple of threads about Mitt Romney, but rather than the politics. Let's get to the Religious facts.

I stated a Mormon is a Christian because they state Christ died for their sins and he is their salvation. One of my Catholic friends flipped out on me and said no way are they Christian.

The argument being that they don't believe in the same flavor of Christianity, so they can't be Christian because it's not his Christ. I stated that sounds like splitting hairs to me.
I don't disagree that the Mormon version of Christianity is way out there compared to traditional factors. The question to me remains why is a Mormon not a Christian?
1. They don't believe in the Holy trinity it's God, Christ, and the Holy Ghost as separate individuals - This is again just simple disagreement on the same belief.
2. Adding a book like the Mormons and they have several. If this is the justification than how can a Catholic be Christian because they have extra books in their own version on the bible not accepted by many other Christians.
3. This one is perhaps a valid discussion. Mormons think that God was once human and they have the opportunity to become a God themselves. Is that enough and why?
4. The best question is why people are so worried about accepting Mormons as Christians. Why would this matter to other Christians or non-Christian groups?

I'm Catholic and I don't deny that the Mormons are Christians. If they beleive in and follow Christ, they are Christians.

אוטואנטישמיות‎

hmm...Mormons have some interesting beliefs, that many Christians would consider to be kinda....unChristian.

I know quite a few protestants that think Catholic practices are "unChristian" and vice versa. So?

And Thunder—to whom you are responding—doesn't even claim to be a Christian. He claims to be a Jew. He has less authority to say who is or is not a Christian than those whose claimed authority on that matter you reject.

Mormons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hmm...Mormons have some interesting beliefs, that many Christians would consider to be kinda....unChristian.

Some Baptists think that about Catholics.
Some Catholics think that about Presbyterians.

Many people in certain denominations think theirs is the "most Christian" or even the ONLY Christian church. It doesn't make it true.

In my mind there is a central belief that is necessary for one to be a Christian.

A Christian should believe that Jesus is the Son of God and that He died and rose again. His death was for the atonement of all sin, and that salvation and forgiveness of sins only comes from faith in Christ and repenting before Him.

If one does not believe this, they are not a Christian. My beef with Mormonism is the whole Jesus and Satan are brothers thing.

Why can't they all just be true?

I'm Catholic and I don't deny that the Mormons are Christians. If they beleive in and follow Christ, they are Christians.

Christians believe that Satan and Jesus are brothers?

Christians believe that all human beings are the literal children of God, just like Jesus?

interesting.....

In my mind there is a central belief that is necessary for one to be a Christian.

A Christian should believe that Jesus is the Son of God and that He died and rose again. His death was for the atonement of all sin, and that salvation and forgiveness of sins only comes from faith in Christ and repenting before Him.

If one does not believe this, they are not a Christian. My beef with Mormonism is the whole Jesus and Satan are brothers thing.

are not Satan and Jesus both creations of God, according to the bible?

Christians believe that Satan and Jesus are brothers?

Christians believe that all human beings are the literal children of God, just like Jesus?

interesting.....

well.... you are getting a few things wrong here..... Mormons believe we are literal spirit children of God...which is a bit different from being a literal child of God.

but as most followers of the Abrahamic religions attest to.. God is the creator of all.... which does make us Children of God, of sorts.

as for the jesus and satan being brothers.... well, that is pulled from different places in the bible ... Jesus, as explained by John is the only begotten Son of God ( the only son of earthly flesh)... and according to Job, angels are also the Sons of God ( obviously not of the flesh and bone sort, though)..Satan, was an angel... a son of God...Satan was a creation of God, a son.

I think religious folks, throughout the ages, have referred to Jesus and satan and angels.. or whatever.. by labels that allow us to understand the relationships involved.... we understand familial relationships.. sons, daughters, fathers, mothers, brothers and sisters.. it's mankinds way of humanizing the relationship they have with certain biblical entities.

if Jesus & Satan are brothers, who is Satan's mommy?

did Mary have twins?
imagine my surprise that you don't want to have a serious discussion on the matter.

do you understand the difference between flesh and spirit?

now ,utah ,do you say that mormons dont call themselves mormon ? or are they still christian or members of a christian sect?

They call themselves Mormons and Christians, just like Baptists call themselves Baptists and Christians or Catholics call themselves Catholics and Christians.

I don't know how many times I've heard people say that Catholics aren't really Christians because they believe in Purgatory or they pray to Mary or just because of their whole system.

Just because someone believes a person or group isn't Christian doesn't make it true.

To me, a Christian is someone who believes in the immaculate conception of Jesus, that Jesus is the Savior sent by God, and that he rose from the dead after his crucifixion. Everything else is just extra. However, I don't care at all who calls themself Christian, that is between them and whatever God may be up there.

For the record, although I do believe that Jesus taught some very good things and was a great man and I actually do try to live by what I see as the most important rule "do unto others as you would have them do unto you", I do not consider myself Christian because I think that much of what Jesus taught was being talked about before and after him by others, he was just good enough at doing what he did to get it out to a lot more people. I simply don't know if he was the Son of God/Savior.

imagine my surprise that you don't want to have a serious discussion on the matter.

do you understand the difference between flesh and spirit?

maybe you can explain it to me then.

do Mormoms consider Jesus & Satan to be brothers of the spirit, or brothers of the flesh?

Why can't they all just be true?

Incompatible claims about reality that cannot both or all be true. Same reason why all other religions cannot also be simultaneously true. Too many different origin stories...

I have seen a couple of threads about Mitt Romney, but rather than the politics. Let's get to the Religious facts.

I stated a Mormon is a Christian because they state Christ died for their sins and he is their salvation. One of my Catholic friends flipped out on me and said no way are they Christian.

The argument being that they don't believe in the same flavor of Christianity, so they can't be Christian because it's not his Christ. I stated that sounds like splitting hairs to me.
I don't disagree that the Mormon version of Christianity is way out there compared to traditional factors. The question to me remains why is a Mormon not a Christian?
1. They don't believe in the Holy trinity it's God, Christ, and the Holy Ghost as separate individuals - This is again just simple disagreement on the same belief.
2. Adding a book like the Mormons and they have several. If this is the justification than how can a Catholic be Christian because they have extra books in their own version on the bible not accepted by many other Christians.
3. This one is perhaps a valid discussion. Mormons think that God was once human and they have the opportunity to become a God themselves. Is that enough and why?
4. The best question is why people are so worried about accepting Mormons as Christians. Why would this matter to other Christians or non-Christian groups?

Considering they have just as much a valid claim on the term "Christian" as any other denomination, I see why not. They call themselves Christians so I take their word for it. Just like that wacky fundamentalist Phelps family whom many "Christians" here claim that they are not truly Christian because they take a "by the book" approach quite literally.

As a non believer, I imagine my opinion carries little weight among your infighting. But FWIW, none of you have any reason to consider your religion valid and another's religion invalid. No matter what claims your hypocritical man made institutions make, while they ponder they eye of a needle whilst sitting on their golden Vatican chairs.

Last edited:
I'm returning to Christianity. If they say that they're Christian, then I'm not one to judge, but I do disagree with their beliefs, as I'm sure they disagree with mine. If that's how they get down, **** it, more power to them.

There are a few Christian sects that reject the Trinity. Jehovah's Witnesses come to mind. I don't see a problem with Arianism, as Jesus does clearly make reference to his Father several times. That's obviously a point of confusion for anyone thinking about the Trinity. It's ultimately a focus on the superficial, and not on the message as a whole. I don't view it as important, as such a thing only serves to divide followers.

The Protestants actually removed books, since they came well after the establishment of the Catholic Church.

That's pretty far out there. The biggest problem (besides that one, that's a pretty big discrepancy) is their claim that Christ visited America. Scripture states that when Christ comes back, the day of judgement will be upon us.

I don't, because it's not a contest to see who's right.

american :mrgreen:

i understand you but mormons cant be compared to catholism or lutherans .

i think all those that you post here accept the trinity whereas mormons dont accept it which is the basic belief of christianity and they have a different prophet and a book.now i can say thay are not christian.in fact mormonism can be regarded as a different religion more than a sect ,a religion having its roots in christianity.

Actually, there was/is much dispute over the Trinity. Arius was actually a pretty big deal.

I am happy to answer any honest & respectful question you ask me.

Which means I shall most likely NOT be answering any of your questions.

I'll accept that as a confession of your inability to answer simple questions.

Back
Top Bottom