• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Intentionally causing fetal deformities

cfreeman

Reaction score
I've heard from some pro-choice people that a woman can do what she wants to a fetus because (among other reasons) a fetus has no rights. Including and especially killing it. If you aren't of this opinion, this thread probably isn't for you.

My question regarding this level of autonomy over the self and authority over the fetus is this...

Should a pregnant woman be allowed to intentionally cause birth defects? Why or why not?

Consider this: Thalidomide was a drug used to treat pain in pregnant women. When it was found to cause severe birth defects, the product was pulled from the market. Should a woman have the right to take thalidomide even though she knows it will cause severe birth defects?

If it is ok to kill fetuses, why isn't it ok to deform them?

Inb4youcantkillwhatsnotalive

Last edited:
if you aren't going to bring the fetus to term then I don't see why it should be illegal. You aren't hurting a sentient person. If you ARE going to bring it to term then it should be illegal because you intend to do harm to a person.

Setting booby traps is illegal because they could hurt someone at some future time, even though the method of harm was put into action at an earlier time. That is the best analogy I can come up with at this time of night. I'll see if I can do better tomorrow.

I've heard from some pro-choice people that a woman can do what she wants to a fetus because (among other reasons) a fetus has no rights. Including and especially killing it. If you aren't of this opinion, this thread probably isn't for you.

My question regarding this level of autonomy over the self and authority over the fetus is this...

Should a pregnant woman be allowed to intentionally cause birth defects? Why or why not?

Consider this: Thalidomide was a drug used to treat pain in pregnant women. When it was found to cause severe birth defects, the product was pulled from the market. Should a woman have the right to take thalidomide even though she knows it will cause severe birth defects?

I'm pro-choice, but it's a free subform. :mrgreen:

And here we run into the problem of thinking of ethics in a strictly legalistic framework...

Laws are not meant to police morality. They are meant to protect society from serious harm.

And "serious harm" is not always straightforward.

Sometimes the law must simply choose the worst of two simultaneous harms in order to decide what they will enforce. Sometimes a harm is not severe enough to be considered worthy of making a law about. Sometimes protecting from one harm is mutually exclusive it protecting against another, so the decision is made simply on timing. The conflict between legal abortion and the question of the ethics of causing non-lethal fetal harm could fall into any of these categories, depending on how you look at abortion. For me, it falls into the last.

Is it ethical for a woman to harm a fetus she intends to carry to term? No. Why isn't it ethical? Because someday, a person capable of suffering might have to live in that messed up body. And they are responsible for that suffering.

However, it is impossible to enforce this in a legalistic framework without making women literal slaves who are surveilled or housed by the state. And how exactly would you justify that ethically? We don't live in a society that considers women to be chattel anymore.

We cannot completely police everything women do to their bodies. And furthermore, some things do the most damage to a fetus very early in pregnancy when a woman might not even be aware she's pregnant (alcohol, for one unfortunate example).

And then there's things like thalidomide, which is actually used primarily to treat cancer and resistant TB. Let's assume for a moment that there was no other drug that did the things thalidomide can do.

Would you deny a woman the only treatment available for her cancer or TB -- both deadly conditions -- because it might deform her fetus?

How do you make that decision in a legal framework?

The answer is: you can't. This is not a question that the law can answer. You cannot decide a woman's life simply matters less than a fetus (or a born person, for that matter) under the law. At least not using anything but the most extremely sexist and dehumanizing bigotry.

If viable alternatives for treatment exist -- which they do -- then the medical establishment has the obligation to use alternatives to treat pregnant women, under the oath of "do no harm."

But if they do not, neither the law nor the medical establishment has any right to make that decision. The woman is the one who gets to make that decision.

And women still do have to make that decision routinely. There are many medical conditions that put her at the difficult crossroads between putting her own life at risk, or the fetus', from kidney disease to extreme mental illness. This is a decision being faced by women to this day.

In situations like that, is it ethical for a woman to choose to harm the fetus? No.

But is it ethical for her to harm herself instead? No. She has a right to defend her life.

There is no "ethical" decision in cases like this. It's like the classic moral quandary of "Two people are drowning. You can only save one. Here are some superficial characteristics about them. Who do you pick?"

There is no ethical answer. One life is not worth any more than another.

This is not the place of law to be deciding.

As a society, we should build a culture where women who wish to carry are encouraged to take good care of their bodies and their pregnancies and informed on how to do so, to give their potential child the best start in life they can have. Because if that is at all possible, then yes, that is the only ethical choice. Forcing another life into being carries a tremendous ethical burden to do your best by them, in fact.

But life is often not that simple. And when it's not, it's frankly no one's business to brow-beat women in impossible situations, who simply didn't know, or to use some theoretical possibility that never happens in reality as a justification to enslave an entire sex.

Last edited:

pregnant women that put their unborn at risk by doing things like working, driving a car, voting in elections, or drinking whole milk, should be imprisoned.

It's sad that someone would fantasize that women would even think of doing such a thing. What would the motive be? What would be the point?

I have no more respect for such fantastical speculation than I do for 'feel-good' legislation that is proposed for things that never happen and in almost all cases, couldnt be enforced even if passed.

It's rather disrespectful of women at its foundation, IMO.

It's sad that someone would fantasize that women would even think of doing such a thing. What would the motive be? What would be the point?

I have no more respect for such fantastical speculation than I do for 'feel-good' legislation that is proposed for things that never happen and in almost all cases, couldnt be enforced even if passed.

It's rather disrespectful of women at its foundation, IMO.

First artificial wombs as a replacement for abortion and to make abortion illegal.

Then traumatic decapitations being given donor bodies as some sort of weird way into an abortion debate...

Now we have intentional causation of fetal anomalies as a wedge into the abortion debate.

Seriously people....where are you getting this crap from???

if you aren't going to bring the fetus to term then I don't see why it should be illegal.

Everyone always goes straight for the legality on this forum. Very practical I guess, but I'm looking for a more philosophical discussion.

IF abortion is acceptable, why isn't it morally acceptable for a woman to deform her fetus.

pregnant women that put their unborn at risk by doing things like working, driving a car, voting in elections, or drinking whole milk, should be imprisoned.

I don't follow. And I don't think that what you're saying follows from my premise.

First artificial wombs as a replacement for abortion and to make abortion illegal.

Then traumatic decapitations being given donor bodies as some sort of weird way into an abortion debate...

Now we have intentional causation of fetal anomalies as a wedge into the abortion debate.

Seriously people....where are you getting this crap from???

I think thought experiments are a good way for us to talk about issues like abortion. I'm not "fantasizing" about these things. I don't think anyone would actually do this. And that's kinda the point.

Why? Why wouldn't we think this is ok? Morally, ethically, why shouldn't we intentionally deform fetuses.

Everyone always goes straight for the legality on this forum. Very practical I guess, but I'm looking for a more philosophical discussion.

You say that as if there is no philosophical aspect to things like law, democracy, and government.

IF abortion is acceptable, why isn't it morally acceptable for a woman to deform her fetus.

Abortion is legally acceptable. Whether or not is morally acceptable is a matter of personal and subjective opinion.

I don't follow. And I don't think that what you're saying follows from my premise.

Sure it does. The question that is the foundation of your OP is whether or not (or how much) we should hold pregnant women legally responsible for behavior that might have an impact on their fetus

I use the term "legally responsible" because you have been confusing in the way you've been conflating legality with morality, such as when your OP asks (at the end) why it's not "OK" to deform the unborn while also asking (earlier in the OP) if women should be allowed to do so.

Sure it does. The question that is the foundation of your OP is whether or not (or how much) we should hold pregnant women legally responsible for behavior that might have an impact on their fetus

I use the term "legally responsible" because you have been confusing in the way you've been conflating legality with morality, such as when your OP asks (at the end) why it's not "OK" to deform the unborn while also asking (earlier in the OP) if women should be allowed to do so.

No, my main concern here is not whether or how we should punish women who take these actions. That's really not in consideration for me.

My concern is whether or not intentional deformation of a fetus should be morally acceptable for the same reasons that abortion is morally acceptable. (That is, if it is)

No, my main concern here is not whether or how we should punish women who take these actions. That's really not in consideration for me.

And yet, you ask if women should be "allowed" to deform their unborn. It may have been unintentional, but your linking of morally acceptable and allowed (which is a reference to the law) is a conflation that you can't just walk away from. After all, this is a political discussion board and this is the abortion forum - not the morality forum.

My concern is whether or not intentional deformation of a fetus should be morally acceptable for the same reasons that abortion is morally acceptable. (That is, if it is)

Abortion is not morally acceptable. At least, not to some people. To others, it is. You see, in a functioning democracy, the law doesn't require anyone to believe in a specific moral code. You might as well be asking "Is vanilla better than chocolate?"

Abortion is not morally acceptable. At least, not to some people. To others, it is. You see, in a functional democracy, the law doesn't require anyone to believe in a specific moral code. You might as well be asking "Is vanilla better than chocolate?"

I think the discussion at hand is more consequential than a choice between chocolate and vanilla.

We still haven't addressed the OP, really.

There are those that think abortion is morally acceptable. To them, I ask: why wouldn't it be morally acceptable to intentionally deform a fetus?

Of course not, for the obvious reason. Once a fetus is born and becomes a baby, it has rights, and giving it a deformity means you violated those rights. So, if a mother abuses alcohol or drugs, resulting in fetal deformities, and if she fails to abort the fetus within the legal time frame, she is in affect doing harm to a legal person. In short: it's OK to kill a fetus, it's not ok to mame it and bring it into this world.

Third party attacks on a fetus are illegal because they are committed without consent of the mother. Hence, a voluntary abortion performed within the legal time frame is OK. Punching her in the stomach to cause a miscarriage is not. Likewise, giving her a drug, especially when knowing the drug will result in a deformed baby, is a violation of both the mother's rights and those of the fetus when it becomes a born baby.

I think the discussion at hand is more consequential than a choice between chocolate and vanilla.

Maybe for you, but not for all. Certainly not for me.

You see, I am pro-choice. My personal beliefs about morality are my business, not yours and other people's beliefs are their business. Your beliefs and everyone elses (including my own) are of no more consequence than whether or not you prefer vanilla over chocolate.

We still haven't addressed the OP, really.

I have addressed the OP - It was poorly written in the way it conflates morality and legality.

There are those that think abortion is morally acceptable. To them, I ask: why wouldn't it be morally acceptable to intentionally deform a fetus?

And I am arguing it doesn't matter. Some people will think abortion is morally acceptable but deforming the unborn is not. So what?

People are free to choose whatever moral decisions they want. Some will use that freedom intelligently and others less so. That's what happens when 50% of the population has a below avg IQ. But if you believe in things like democracy, freedom, limited govt, etc then you have to accept that some people will be foolish, inconsistent and even *gasp* immoral. Acceptance of this is the only choice that is morally consistent for one who believes in freedom, democracy, the rule of law, etc.

if you aren't going to bring the fetus to term then I don't see why it should be illegal. You aren't hurting a sentient person. If you ARE going to bring it to term then it should be illegal because you intend to do harm to a person.

Setting booby traps is illegal because they could hurt someone at some future time, even though the method of harm was put into action at an earlier time. That is the best analogy I can come up with at this time of night. I'll see if I can do better tomorrow.

I would say abortion IS acceptable and it is morally unacceptable for a woman to deform her fetus for exactly the reason Bob has stated...precisely because there are future repercussions and harm and that is a certainty.

That is also why it is morally reprehensible for big food producers to sell unsafe chemically laced food to the public...because down the road those humans that ingested it are going to develop some very life limiting illnesses.

same thing

Of course not, for the obvious reason. Once a fetus is born and becomes a baby, it has rights, and giving it a deformity means you violated those rights. So, if a mother abuses alcohol or drugs, resulting in fetal deformities, and if she fails to abort the fetus within the legal time frame, she is in affect doing harm to a legal person. In short: it's OK to kill a fetus, it's not ok to mame it and bring it into this world.

You can't have violated someone's rights before they had them, can you? I don't think that makes sense.

What about this hypothetical: A mother fully intends to abort around halfway through the pregnancy. But first she decides to intentionally deform her fetus by taking thalidomide. (Maybe a doctor wants to more fully study the effects of thalidomide). Would it be morally acceptable for her to take the thalidomide?

Quote Originally Posted by cfreeman

no it is not morally the same...that would be like saying using birth control is wrong because it is killing possible human beings

although come to think of it...that is precisely the stance some people adopt so there ya go

I would say abortion IS acceptable and it is morally unacceptable for a woman to deform her fetus for exactly the reason Bob has stated...precisely because there are future repercussions and harm and that is a certainty.

That is also why it is morally reprehensible for big food producers to sell unsafe chemically laced food to the public...because down the road those humans that ingested it are going to develop some very life limiting illnesses.

same thing

According to so many on this forum, a baby has rights only when it is born, and not a moment before. How can we violate the rights of an entity that currently has none?

According to so many on this forum, a baby has rights only when it is born, and not a moment before.

They say this because it is an objectively provable fact

How can we violate the rights of an entity that currently has none?

Now, after denying that you were asking about the law, are asking about the law:doh

I think thought experiments are a good way for us to talk about issues like abortion. I'm not "fantasizing" about these things. I don't think anyone would actually do this. And that's kinda the point.

Why? Why wouldn't we think this is ok? Morally, ethically, why shouldn't we intentionally deform fetuses.

Because it is a silly proposition. Perhaps we can deform them...transfer them to an artificial womb, traumatically decapitate it on birth and transfer the head to a brain dead corpse.

Seriously, we have had a string of absurd abortion debate topics.

I guess my "problem" is I tend to be more pragmatic. I am personally against abortion...but I believe I have zero right to make that decision for another woman. I think there are pragmatic ways to drastically reduce abortion rates that are actually achievable in my lifetime. When we start talking about intentionally causing fetal anomalies, artificial wombs as a replacement for abortion, and bodies being transplanted onto a traumatically decapitated head.....we are further away from common sense solutions.

Go ahead and have your thread, but if you really care about decreasing abortion rates....this takes you further away from this goal.

You can't have violated someone's rights before they had them, can you? I don't think that makes sense.
Why not? Once born you have rights. If someone makes it so that once you are born you are missing an eye, leg or half your brain, your rights were violated. It's not rocket science.

What about this hypothetical: A mother fully intends to abort around halfway through the pregnancy. But first she decides to intentionally deform her fetus by taking thalidomide. (Maybe a doctor wants to more fully study the effects of thalidomide). Would it be morally acceptable for her to take the thalidomide?
If she aborts within the first 12 weeks, the legal time frame allowed for no questions asked abortion, then no. She can do whatever she wants. But, if she does not abort before 12 week window, intentionally deforms the fetus so that she can then use that deformity as a legal reason for aborting late-term, then I believe there should be laws against doing it.

One anti-abortion position I hold is that I'd like to tighten the rules on the whos and whys for aborting late term pregnancies. I see no reason to allow abortion after the 24th week except the eminent death or severe health risk to the mother if fetus is carried to term.

Go ahead and have your thread, but if you really care about decreasing abortion rates....this takes you further away from this goal.

How so? Is my thread so bad that more women will abort in order to spare their children from my thread? Haha.

Back
Top Bottom