• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How many people will be at the 8.28 Restoring Honor Rally tomorrow in D.C.?

How many people will be at the Restoring Honor Rally?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Like the media did when they claimed tea partiers are racist by "accidentally" showing clips from events before 2008?

Like the media did when they showed people from the middle-east celebrating in the 1990's and claiming it to be from the September 11th "success"?

Like the media did when they showed people from the middle-east celebrating in the 1990's and claiming it to be from the September 11th "success"?

In all seriousness, do you have a link for this? That would be interesting.

All you boys have to do is look at the pics.

estimate.png

828.jpg

There's no magic to USA Today's methodology; they took the actual area and estimated at a person per 2.5 square feet. That's simple math.

The north glen alone is about half the size of the area estimated to hold 946,000. So, be conservative, round it down, say 400,000.

In the pic, it's filled, but not very densely, so say 1/4 of the density contemplated. That's 100,000 people right there.

The mall area, too, is almost that size; also being conservative, if it were all solid ground, it too would hold about 400,000. The reflecting pool takes up about 75% of the space, but of the people there, it IS densely packed, so it's a pretty fair estimation that it, too, is about 100,000.

That doesn't include the people around the memorial, around the middle pool, in the pathways, and obscured by the trees.

So, looks like at least 200,000 to me, through simple, conservative calculations.

And I really don't even care how many are actually there; I'm just fascinated with the need of some people to diminish it as much as possible and not admit it could possibly have been more than the lowest estimate one could find.

Beck is going to use an event of Obama's that was 100,000 and lay it over the 8.28 rally and see how many he can fit on it. He's suppose to show us tomorrow. What do ya' all think of that idea?

Barb, did you hear about Beck's new project? Man, that guy must work non-stop. Go check out his homepage.

This is exactly what the cbs commissioned estimate did, looked at the pics, broke it up into grids, estimated density for each section of the grid (as opposed to the blanket density you are promoting). simple math.. which you touted in your post takes account that density is not a constant but rather a variable.

from one of the analysts:

Is their estimate correct? probably not, it is an estimate as I stated, but also as I stated it appears to be the most methodologically sound estimate out there.

The correct answer to how many people were there: quite a few.. and we have no way of knowing so we just have to go with the most reasonable guesstimate. I choose to put more stock in the methodology of a guesstimate that employs integrating the density and not treating it as a constant, and then uses a statistical comparison of independent findings to gauge the accuracy, over "X sq ft * 2.5 = estimate."

I did not do this out of a need to promote the low ball number, I jut saw the bickering, became curious, looked into it, and came to the conclusion that their methods were fairly sound, although the entire art of crowd estimates is basically guesswork, the arialphotos estimate at least seems to attempt to make the most accurate guess they could, and to try to make it as sound as they could.

I simplified it to average density in order to be as conservative and transparent as possible.

In that second pic, there's noticeable greenness in some areas - And unless all that green is people wearing completely grass-colored clothing and skin paint, I see grass.

One person per 2.5 square feet is a bit tight, considering the green; I would say about one person per 10 square feet.

10.00 square feet = A square ~ 3.16 x 3.16 feet, plenty of space for a person (unless REALLY large).

RightinNYC is correct; this is why I said it was about 1/4 the density comtemplated by USA Today.

I don't think he's talked about it yet. He just put it up on his site tonight. Blogs are already commenting on it. :)

RightinNYC is correct; this is why I said it was about 1/4 the density comtemplated by USA Today.
Excellent, I wondered if that were the case.

I don't think he's talked about it yet. He just put it up on his site tonight. Blogs are already commenting on it. :)

It's just another way for him to make money. Did you see the Goldline Ad ? LOL

It's just another way for him to make money. Did you see the Goldline Ad ? LOL

Of course. He's only out for the money even though he made nothing from his 8.28 rally this weekend. He actually paid for a lot of it with his own money. I can't believe people really think he believes what he says.

In all seriousness, you'll never guess (or maybe you would) what happened at church this past Sunday......... Someone mentioned in class that Glenn Beck was trying to urge people back to God and the preacher said (I kid ye not) "Oh, he just uses the conservative religious right in America to make his money....but I'm not judging his heart." (He's a life-long Democrat.)

Of course. He's only out for the money even though he made nothing from his 8.28 rally this weekend. He actually paid for a lot of it with his own money. I can't believe people really think he believes what he says.

In all seriousness, you'll never guess (or maybe you would) what happened at church this past Sunday......... Someone mentioned in class that Glenn Beck was trying to urge people back to God and the preacher said (I kid ye not) "Oh, he just uses the conservative religious right in America to make his money....but I'm not judging his heart." (He's a life-long Democrat.)

Well heck at HPUMC.....Highland Park United Methodist Church, Dallas Texas....the head minister was stumping for George Bush from the pulpit.

Well heck at HPUMC.....Highland Park United Methodist Church, Dallas Texas....the head minister was stumping for George Bush from the pulpit.

I dislike that VERY much and would've walked out.

828.jpg

What I'd like to know is... Where's Waldo?

828.jpg

What I'd like to know is... Where's Waldo?
That small white dot slightly below and to the left of the black squareish thing about a third of the way down from the top and about a quarter of the way across from the right in the picture.

No, wait, that's probably something else.

:mrgreen:

I didn't attend Obama rallies and I certainly won't attend rallies by crying bitches like Glenn Beck. I have a job and **** to do. Maybe if people spent more time working and less time attending ****ty events like this they'd keep their jobs a little longer?

Last edited:
I didn't attend Obama rallies and I certainly won't attend rallies by crying bitches like Glenn Beck. I have a job and **** to do. Maybe if people spent more time working and less time attending ****ty events like this they'd keep their jobs a little longer?

I think a lot of the tea folk are out of work, collecting unemployment, etc.

That's why they're always at home when the pollster calls... And at 5pm in the afternoon to watch cartoonsish characters on FNC.

That's why they're always at home when the pollster calls... And at 5pm in the afternoon to watch cartoonsish characters on FNC.

Do you have any proof to back up this claim or should we just go ahead right now and chalk this up as yet one more red herring from you? Don't worry, I already know the answer. :2wave:

Do you have any proof to back up this claim or should we just go ahead right now and chalk this up as yet one more red herring from you? Don't worry, I already know the answer. :2wave:

"I think" = speculation.:roll::2wave:

I mean, somebody's answering the phone when they call to ask if you believe President Obama is a Muslim...

"Who are these people..."

36641JerrySeinfeld9.jpg

So "what you think" isn't really based on anything factual? Gotcha!

So "what you think" isn't really based on anything factual? Gotcha!

Not exactly.

Lemme walk you through it.

We start with facts -- like:

Grand Old Islamophobes? Polls Show Widespread Republican Concerns Over Muslims -- And Obama

The biggest news from the August 19 Pew poll of national attitudes toward Obama was the huge jump in the number of Americans who now think Obama is a Muslim. Nearly a fifth of the population made the incorrect assumption about Obama's faith, a sizeable increase from the months after Obama was inaugurated. Among Republicans, the number was far higher. Thirty-one percent said Obama was a Muslim, and 39% said they didn't know what religion Obama practices.

Now from those facts (data collected using polls) we can surmise the following:

Somebody was at home when the phone rang, not working.
Somebody was smart enough to know how to answer the phone, but, beyond that 31% seem to be of below average intelligence.

Sure, speculating that more Tea Party folks are out of work than they'd like to admit is a leap. However, making those types of leaps helps us ask better questions next time we call.

I saw a video on youtube taken at the 8/28 rally where they were asking people why they were there, what the rally was about, and general questions about current issues. Several times a voice in the background said: "He's trying to trick you, the questions are traps..." (in a heavy souther accent).

So, if you ask, say 1000 Tea Party folk about their employment, education, etc. Would they all answer honestly?

If you have links to videos of people at Tea Party Rallies or Palin/Beck events answering questions with something other than generalized talking points, please PM them to me, I'd be interested in seeing them.

My overall point is that based on what I've seen and heard about the people who show up to these rallies, my speculating about their ability to hold a job is fair. In other words, it's fair for me to guess, surmise, wonder... how to these people get by in life?

Not exactly.

Lemme walk you through it.

We start with facts -- like:

Grand Old Islamophobes? Polls Show Widespread Republican Concerns Over Muslims -- And Obama

Now from those facts (data collected using polls) we can surmise the following:

Somebody was at home when the phone rang, not working.
Somebody was smart enough to know how to answer the phone, but, beyond that 31% seem to be of below average intelligence.

Sure, speculating that more Tea Party folks are out of work than they'd like to admit is a leap. However, making those types of leaps helps us ask better questions next time we call.

I saw a video on youtube taken at the 8/28 rally where they were asking people why they were there, what the rally was about, and general questions about current issues. Several times a voice in the background said: "He's trying to trick you, the questions are traps..." (in a heavy souther accent).

So, if you ask, say 1000 Tea Party folk about their employment, education, etc. Would they all answer honestly?

If you have links to videos of people at Tea Party Rallies or Palin/Beck events answering questions with something other than generalized talking points, please PM them to me, I'd be interested in seeing them.

My overall point is that based on what I've seen and heard about the people who show up to these rallies, my speculating about their ability to hold a job is fair. In other words, it's fair for me to guess, surmise, wonder... how to these people get by in life?

Pretty humorous assumptions you are jumping to there. How many people work something other than 8 am-4 pm? I know thousands of people that don't work during what most consider normal business hours. I don't work "normal business hours" myself. How many people have days off during the traditional "work week"? I know thousands that work weekends and have week days off. My 2 days off are Tuesday and Wednesday.

I've been to more than one Tea Party, have you been to at least one? Your broad generalizations about the Tea Party and "it's people" are based on what the left wing media outlets are feeding you, which is something not even remotely resembling the truth. I've met several liberals and lifelong democrats at a Tea Party. Despite what you are spoon fed by MSNBC, HuffPo, TYT and other left-wing outlets, the Tea Party movement isn't just for conservatives or them evil Republicans. It's for those who realize that our government is broken, is corrupt and needs to be fixed quickly.

I get by in life just fine, as do the dozens and dozens of people that I've met and talked to at Tea Parties. I've met business owners who have had to lay off valued employees because they can't afford to keep them any more. I've met people who were laid off and started their own businesses, but are struggling to comprehend how they can succeed with all the roadblocks and bombs that this Congree and this administration is dropping on them. I've met stay at home mothers who are worried about the future for their children that the spending this Congress and this administration are strapping them with. I've met a retired congressman who can't believe the power that the federal government has amassed in just the past 10 years.

Tell you what - show me videos of the claims that your beloved media has been making about the Tea Party first. Show me where the "racists" were calling senators and representatives the 'n' word when they walked through the streets to sign a bill. Show me video of Cleaver being spat on. I mean the liberal media that you so dearly love and misinforms you every single day (FOX isn't the only one who misleads and misinforms you know) has made these claims and yet there isn't any proof of these accusations at all.

My overall point is that what you've seen and heard about the people who show up at these rallies is not based on anything you experienced first hand. It's based on what the left-wing media presented to you, even though they have been exposed as being dishonest and lying over and over again. You are speaking from a position of ignorance when you make accusations and claims based on lies and bad information. As to why so many people think that Obama is a Muslim, I don't know. Maybe they are misinformed, maybe they are making an asumption based on lies and half truths. I would think by now that you of all people can relate to them since it's your MO.

But if you want to see folks who are truly misinformed and out of touch with our government, give this a view and get back to me:

Rather than making dumb generalizations, why not take 30 seconds and educate yourself?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/15/us/politics/15poll.html

New York Times/CBS News Poll: National Survey of Tea Party Supporters

Percentage of people who are currently employed:

General population: 54%
Tea Party: 56%

Back
Top Bottom