• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

How can you say something doesn't exist when the denial already implies its existence

Re: How can you say something doesn't exist when the denial already implies its exist

No.

I can deny that a one eyed, one horned, purple people eater exists...that does not mean that, due to my denial, it DOES exist.

Re: How can you say something doesn't exist when the denial already implies its exist

No, it doesn't. Care to be a bit more specific though?

Nope, sorry. It doesn't make sense to me.

you cannot prove the flying spaghetti monster does not exist you non-believers REPENT NOW!!!!

KM0Lwne.jpg

b608ff57f1fd2835f8cf2cbe8d3515aa08b14ff144e71630f57a0181015eac41.jpg

Does that make sense?

Denial and not believing in something isn't the same thing.

Thus people who try to convince others that something does exist or is morally right or just will use the term denial: "It is truth and you're just denying the truth." It's a psychological warfare tactic. (Truth deniers. Deniers of god. etc).

But that doesn't mean that someone's belief that __ does not exist IS actual denial. Denial, sometimes, is just a false accusation.

Does that make sense?

Not even a little.

If not believing in something is confirmation of its existence, then how come peeka chakka no Wookiee boonowa twepi Solo? Ho ho hoooo...

Kelfuma: 0
Forum: 0
Jabba: 0

Jabba-The-Hutt_b5a08a70.jpg

This seems to be the appealing to the unknown logical fallacy?

No.

I can deny that a one eyed, one horned, purple people eater exists...that does not mean that, due to my denial, it DOES exist.

It exists as a concept. ;)

This seems to be the appealing to the unknown logical fallacy?

Hah yeah.

Like when I was six and my dad tried, pointlessly, to convince me that a god who'd send non-believers in hell just because they were raised in a society that didn't expose them to religious doctrines (but they never did anyone intentional harm with their lack of belief) was a loving god - and that was the sensible reason why we had to witness to people and convert them.

I just couldn't accept that - seemed quite cruel, illogical, pointless and senseless.

It's like being punished for a crime against a law you didn't even know existed when the originator of said law made no effort to tell you.

In fact, that concept was one of the inciting incidences behind Americas formation.

I just couldn't accept that - seemed quite cruel, illogical, pointless and senseless.

It's like being punished for a crime against a law you didn't even know existed when the originator of said law made no effort to tell you.

Plus, it is an almighty all knowing entity. So what you have do is what it knows and wants you to do, yet he sometimes punishes you for doing its will? Such a load of BS, how on earth did it survive until now is the real mystery.

Plus, it is an almighty all knowing entity. So what you have do is what it knows and wants you to do, yet he sometimes punishes you for doing its will? Such a load of BS, how on earth did it survive until now is the real mystery.

heh - I recall the 'you're thinking too much' look on my dad's face - just pure frustration with me - that I was questioning all his logic at the prime age of 5.

Does that make sense?

It depends upon the context but, the best answer in practically all cases is to say that I am not convinced by your evidence therefore, I do not accept your claim. The problem with this 'you can't prove it doesn't' meme that is flooding this forum section like the Black Plague is that it leaves us wide open to any kind of claim that you can pull from your backside. Just saying that something must exist because you can't prove that it doesn't is a childish game played by snake oil salesmen.

claims.jpg

How can you say something doesn't exist when the denial already implies its existence.

Does that make sense?

Then you have to define existence, and that can be tricky in the context of systems of belief (religion) and systems of process (science.)

The difference between those two will speak volumes about the someone's perception of denying the existence of "something," where someone else might claim either direct evidence of or belief in that something. The even greater fallacy then becomes an argument over what is existence in any regard.

Does that make sense?
Love your avatar. That shiet is amazing

Does that make sense?

No.

Yellow butterflies circling your head and telling you what to do, do not exist.

We have discovered the Cosmological Reality (tm) rules of reason and logic, that are true independently of the human intellect. We can apply reason and logic to assign truth value to claims, that are independent of the human existence.

I took the OP to be asking whether it makes sense to assert what would be a performative impossibility--e.g. denying the existence of the thing doing the denying. One must exist before one can deny...

How it's still thriving in some corners yet today is even a bigger mystery.

How it's still thriving in some corners yet today is even a bigger mystery.

Agreed.

I mean I understand the counter Rome movement and all that answer against oppression on one hand, attempting to be in touch with their selves on the other, but who the heck is stopping people to do that in other ways? Why still pay for religious institution BS claims when one could do it on their own?

I took the OP to be asking whether it makes sense to assert what would be a performative impossibility--e.g. denying the existence of the thing doing the denying. One must exist before one can deny...
"I deny, therefore I am."

Does that make sense?

Your logic is flawed. Granted there is no way to prove that something does not exist, unless you can prove something else that counters it. Such as proving an object isn't round because you proved it square. Simply saying it doesn't exists, doesn't prove it does not exist. Lack of proof does not mean it does not exist. Many things have existed since the dawn of time, like radiation, but we didn't, until relatively recently, have the means of proving it existed. But simply denying a thing exists, in no way affects its existence. Denial is something one does when they know the truth, at the very least subconsciously, but claim otherwise because they want to believe differently. This is different from lying, in that the person isn't really drying to deceive others per se. At best they are lying to themselves, but not others. Similarly, denying something is not denial, unless the conditions mentioned are met.

Back
Top Bottom