• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

HOW AMERICA GOT MEAN - in a culture devoid of moral education, generations are growing up in a morally inarticulate, self-referential world.

Credence

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This is really an indepth article discussing sociology, technology, demography, and the economy

I read the entire article (it is pretty long) and recommend it to you all no matter what your political ideology is.

HOW AMERICA GOT MEAN​

In a culture devoid of moral education, generations are growing up in a morally inarticulate, self-referential world.

By David Brooks
Illustrations by Ricardo Tomás

AUGUST 14, 2023, 6 AM ET

Over the past eight years or so, I’ve been obsessed with two questions. The first is: Why have Americans become so sad? The rising rates of depression have been well publicized, as have the rising deaths of despair from drugs, alcohol, and suicide. But other statistics are similarly troubling. The percentage of people who say they don’t have close friends has increased fourfold since 1990. The share of Americans ages 25 to 54 who weren’t married or living with a romantic partner went up to 38 percent in 2019, from 29 percent in 1990. A record-high 25 percent of 40-year-old Americans have never married. More than half of all Americans say that no one knows them well. The percentage of high-school students who report “persistent feelings of sadness or hopelessness” shot up from 26 percent in 2009 to 44 percent in 2021.

My second, related question is: Why have Americans become so mean? I was recently talking with a restaurant owner who said that he has to eject a customer from his restaurant for rude or cruel behavior once a week—something that never used to happen. A head nurse at a hospital told me that many on her staff are leaving the profession because patients have become so abusive. At the far extreme of meanness, hate crimes rose in 2020 to their highest level in 12 years. Murder rates have been surging, at least until recently. Same with gun sales. Social trust is plummeting. In 2000, two-thirds of American households gave to charity; in 2018, fewer than half did. The words that define our age reek of menace: conspiracy, polarization, mass shootings, trauma, safe spaces.

Much more at link

The world has always been mean.

We’ve just peeled back layers of the onion.

This is really an indepth article discussing sociology, technology, demography, and the economy

I read the entire article (it is pretty long) and recommend it to you all no matter what your political ideology is.

HOW AMERICA GOT MEAN​

In a culture devoid of moral education, generations are growing up in a morally inarticulate, self-referential world.

By David Brooks
Illustrations by Ricardo Tomás

AUGUST 14, 2023, 6 AM ET

Over the past eight years or so, I’ve been obsessed with two questions. The first is: Why have Americans become so sad? The rising rates of depression have been well publicized, as have the rising deaths of despair from drugs, alcohol, and suicide. But other statistics are similarly troubling. The percentage of people who say they don’t have close friends has increased fourfold since 1990. The share of Americans ages 25 to 54 who weren’t married or living with a romantic partner went up to 38 percent in 2019, from 29 percent in 1990. A record-high 25 percent of 40-year-old Americans have never married. More than half of all Americans say that no one knows them well. The percentage of high-school students who report “persistent feelings of sadness or hopelessness” shot up from 26 percent in 2009 to 44 percent in 2021.

My second, related question is: Why have Americans become so mean? I was recently talking with a restaurant owner who said that he has to eject a customer from his restaurant for rude or cruel behavior once a week—something that never used to happen. A head nurse at a hospital told me that many on her staff are leaving the profession because patients have become so abusive. At the far extreme of meanness, hate crimes rose in 2020 to their highest level in 12 years. Murder rates have been surging, at least until recently. Same with gun sales. Social trust is plummeting. In 2000, two-thirds of American households gave to charity; in 2018, fewer than half did. The words that define our age reek of menace: conspiracy, polarization, mass shootings, trauma, safe spaces.

Much more at link
I remember reading somewhere about how in the Old West, you could get your brain blown out if you fell asleep in a bar and snored too loud. Not sure we are there yet.

Agree:

In 2021, more than 1 in 5 (22%) students seriously considered attempting suicide and 1 in 10 (10%) attempted suicide.

This is a horrifying statistic.

Macho bullshit, Fox News, Donald Trump (This piece of shit actually makes fun of handicap people?..Jesus Christ)
Low wages. (when you worry constantly, one's niceness factor fails) Housing prices (You've GOT to be kidding me)
Much more but still>>> Stress..Stress...stress....stress....stress....stress

I did.

I also find David Brooks distasteful.

The guy divorced his wife of 20-some years to marry his much younger assistant.

He has no business lecturing anyone on the moral breakdown of society.
It also seems that Brooks has serious issues being truthful, manipulating the truth in order to manufacture facts for his books.
He seems to severely lack credibility in literary circles for his bullshit writings.
Interesting.

maybe the article is a bit too pessimistic

It would be nice if I were able to read the entire article.

Back
Top Bottom