• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hillary was right

Seriously?

Trump ****ed up big time by pulling out of the agreement.

Lol.

oil production is up in Biden , hitting records, way higher than under Trump.

I am sure you could come up with more lies but who cares?

It's facts that matter.

Yeah. Thanks for keeping me in line. My Trumpism is ruining my brain. I keep forgetting that paying less than $2/g for gas is WORSE than paying $4/g. I also keep forgetting that Iran having to focus most of their economic capabilities on keeping lights on and food in the stores was a WAY worse situation than having them send money and arms to the Houties and Hamas. Heck, we are WAY better off with Russia bombing the snot out of Ukraine than we were with Trump. Everything was SOOOOO much worse when we had peace and prosperity.

Hillary is irrelevant.

Yeah. Thanks for keeping me in line. My Trumpism is ruining my brain. I keep forgetting that paying less than $2/g for gas is WORSE than paying $4/g.

You were proved wrong. With undeniable facts.

And as far as the price of gas as at the pump is concerned......do you think American presidents control gas prices (your answer will be telling).
I also keep forgetting that Iran having to focus most of their economic capabilities on keeping lights on and food in the stores was a WAY worse situation than having them send money and arms to the Houties and Hamas

Lol.

they are closer to a nuke and spending more then ever funding on the Houties and Hamas, thanks to Trump idiotically pulling us out of the Iran deal.

as i proved.

Facts actually matter Luther.

Stop being so easily conned.

Your country deserves better from you.

Abraham Accords.
It was Biden that made these accords work............

This is best compared to a superintendent of a school signing a form to creat a sports team for the school, then the coach of that team winning states, then the superintendent taking credit for the success............Biden is the coach when it comes to the A. Accords....
Also pulling out of the Iran deal.
He did this ONLY to make B.O. look bad at the time.......................same reason he wants to destroy the ACA
Oh yeah, beating ISIS to a pulp.
The Trump administration mostly finished the job, but the Obama administration launched the successful campaign against the Islamic State, and did most of the work Trump claimed credit for.
Oil was damned near down to a buck a gallon over here.
Only during the 2nd Great Depression that was under Trump's watch. You want to go back to that again???
Inflation is a worldwide problem----and Biden has kept it lower that the rest of the world....

Declaring her open contempt for a quarter of the country she wanted to lead was 'diplomatic'?
Correct. The actual quote:
"You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables."

It's not half, it's the vast majority. And they aren't "deplorable," they're monsters. She was sugarcoating the truth. She saw what so many of us didn't want to see, and she was brave enough to actually say it, sortof.

A president is at least should be the leader of the whole country;
Republicans don't even pretend to want this anymore.

in any sane society her comment would essentially be an automatic disqualification in voters' eyes.
We aren't living in a sane country. Seventy-four million people voted for a criminal in 2020. He lost anyway, tried to steal the election, hid vital national secrets in his bathroom, and most of them still support him.
It was sheer political stupidity with literally no upside - anyone who would cheer her on over it was already a dyed-in-the-wool Democratic partisan - and the obvious downsides of energizing otherwise equivocal conservatives to get out and vote against her and turning off equivocal independents offended by her contempt for their conservative friends or family.

Lucky for her, she retained a fighting chance because her opponent should have been even more disqualified, but that comment and doubling down on it the next day was likely one of the factors (even if not the biggest) whose absence could very plausibly have tipped the balance in her favour.
Only a dyed-in-the-wool Trumper partisan still sees it this way. Brazen double standards, the right was fine with all sorts of bullshit spewing from Trump's mouth but they got all their collective panties in a wad over Clinton's comments? Please. Trump was going around splashing gasoline on the country while holding a match, there's no benefit in trying to focus-test a kinder word than arsonist.

We're past this. The GOP is trying to burn the ****ing country to the ground. They are fascists, traitors to every ideal this country is supposed to represent. We need to learn a lesson from the Weimar approach to these people: it didn't work, and the entire world paid the price for that mistake. We can't let that happen in the world's foremost nuclear superpower.

We're past this. The GOP is trying to burn the ****ing country to the ground. They are fascists, traitors to every ideal this country is supposed to represent. We need to learn a lesson from the Weimar approach to these people: it didn't work, and the entire world paid the price for that mistake. We can't let that happen in the world's foremost nuclear superpower.
Okay, so what are you proposing and how exactly does calling them names help your master plan?

Correct. The actual quote:
"You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables."

It's not half, it's the vast majority. And they aren't "deplorable," they're monsters. She was sugarcoating the truth. She saw what so many of us didn't want to see, and she was brave enough to actually say it, sortof.
You haven't actually disproven, or for that matter disputed or even acknowledged the probable facts that
A) anyone pleased or impressed by her comments would have voted Democratic regardless, so she didn't gain any votes from it,
B) equivocal conservatives were likely motivated by her open contempt to get out and vote, so Trump did gain votes from it, and
C) equivocal independents were likely offput by her contempt for a quarter of the country (particularly if they had conservative friends/family) and just stayed home, so she likely lost some votes from it.

Regardless of whether her description was accurate or not that's not "bravery," it's abject political stupidity. There's a reason why Trump's campaign latched onto it so strongly.

We aren't living in a sane country. Seventy-four million people voted for a criminal in 2020. He lost anyway, tried to steal the election, hid vital national secrets in his bathroom, and most of them still support him.
2020 isn't 2016. Clinton's abject political stupidity in lighting a fire under the ass of the "deplorables" to get out and vote against her could easily have been a deciding factor in tipping the election against her, and who knows how things would have played out if she'd taken the smarter path? It's worth noting that her description of the 'other half' in that speech was just as accurate and much more useful:
"But the "other" basket – the other basket – and I know because I look at this crowd I see friends from all over America here: I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas and – as well as, you know, New York and California – but that "other" basket of people are people who feel the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures; and they're just desperate for change. It doesn't really even matter where it comes from. They don't buy everything he says, but – he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won't wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they're in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well."​

That was mostly just rhetoric from a center-right corporatist with no intention of promoting major systemic changes of course, but no less accurate for that. What kind of hope and change have the Democrats actually offered to those folk? Their 2020 response to Trump was to nominate an even older white bigot with credible sexual assault allegations of his own and mere percentage points of difference in his response to pressing issues like inequality and climate breakdown. As @NolanVoyd is boasting (I guess?) in this thread, oil production increased under Biden, as did concentration of wealth. Their political strategy seems to pretty much just be the lesser evil; gradually scraping away at undermining the earth- and eco-system on which stable civilization is built rather than frantically digging, perpetuating a quieter kind of plutocracy rather than unsubtle authoritarian tendencies. How do we know their strategy is to be the 'lesser evil'? Because they actively support fascist-leaning candidates to be their political opponents:

That's an article from 2022 after all of the ugliest tendencies of the MAGA movement were finally on open display: Even then the Democrats were out there actively supporting the fascists, so that people like you can be driven by hatred of the people duped by them. Is that one of the lessons learned from the Weimar Republic? Is that part of your plan to stop them, or does it start and end with name-calling?

Last edited:
That's an article from 2022 after all of the ugliest tendencies of the MAGA movement were finally on open display: Even then the Democrats were out there actively supporting the fascists, so that people like you can be driven by hatred of the people duped by them. Is that one of the lessons learned from the Weimar Republic? Is that part of your plan to stop them, or does it start and end with name-calling?
It's not name-calling, it's calling a fascist a fascist. It's saying what is happening so that people realize that this isn't just political squabbling anymore. These people are a danger to this country and we need to acknowledge that, because that is the first step in destroying them.

It's not name-calling, it's calling a fascist a fascist. It's saying what is happening so that people realize that this isn't just political squabbling anymore. These people are a danger to this country and we need to acknowledge that, because that is the first step in destroying them.
So your plan involves "destroying them." Not merely electoral defeat apparently - because Clinton calling them "a basket of deplorables" (not fascists) was obviously abject political idiocy which potentially tipped the balance against her - but some other kind of destruction? Do go on.

Republicans yelling 'communists' and Democrats yelling 'fascists' isn't going to let the general public know that it's more than just political squabbling and hyperbole... very much the opposite. Especially when Democrats are actively supporting those fascists as their electoral opponents. Money talks louder than words.

So your plan involves "destroying them." Not merely electoral defeat apparently - because Clinton calling them "a basket of deplorables" (not fascists) was obviously abject political idiocy which potentially tipped the balance against her - but some other kind of destruction? Do go on.

Republicans yelling 'communists' and Democrats yelling 'fascists' isn't going to let the general public know that it's more than just political squabbling and hyperbole... very much the opposite. Especially when Democrats are actively supporting those fascists as their electoral opponents. Money talks louder than words.
It isn't hyperbole. Trump tried to steal the 2020 election and most of them tried to help him do it. When that failed, a mob of his supporters tried to murder members of congress.

It isn't hyperbole. Trump tried to steal the 2020 election and most of them tried to help him do it. When that failed, a mob of his supporters tried to murder members of congress.
The fascist-leaning tendencies of Trumpism have been very clear since 2021, but that's not the point.

The point is that throwing Trump's supporters in "a basket of deplorables" in 2016 potentially cost Clinton the election; it doesn't matter whether or not her name-calling was somehow 'accurate,' there was literally no upside and some obvious downsides to a presidential candidate declaring her open contempt for a quarter of the country.

The point is that Republicans yelling 'communists' and Democrats yelling 'fascists' looks like two squabbling parties throwing hyperbole at each other; that's the genius of the "every Republican accusation is a confession" political strategy, it's effective in dragging everything down to the same level for anyone who is partisan or uninformed (which is most people).

The point is that name-calling whether accurate or not isn't an effective strategy for "destroying" (or even defeating) fascism in America, and even moreso that Democrats don't want to destroy fascism since they actively support MAGA candidates as their political opponents. That 'lesser evil' political strategy of promoting and emphasizing the evilness of the opposition rather than offering substantially better options as an alternative has been one of the major reasons for the surge in fascist tendencies to begin with. The center-right business-as-usual politics of Obama, Clinton and Biden simply and obviously have not worked well enough for a huge swathe of ordinary Americans, contributing heavily both towards the discontent on which fascism feeds and towards the supposed 'anti-establishment' facade of Trump. With some justification many Americans already view their democracy as ineffective or broken; an electoral strategy which depends heavily on how nasty those fascists are amounts to telling the people "We'll give you more of the same plutocracy, but they want to give you a more authoritarian change!" As scary as that change may be, it's pretty clear that there are huge numbers of Americans who either think the rhetoric is overblown... or are willing to risk it anyway in the hopes of some kind of change.

But the "other" basket – the other basket – and I know because I look at this crowd I see friends from all over America here: I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas and – as well as, you know, New York and California – but that "other" basket of people are people who feel the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures; and they're just desperate for change. It doesn't really even matter where it comes from. They don't buy everything he says, but – he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won't wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they're in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well.​
~ Hillary Clinton, 2016​

Last edited:
The fascist-leaning tendencies of Trumpism have been very clear since 2021, but that's not the point.
I think it's kinda the only point that really matters when it comes to current US politics.

The point is that throwing Trump's supporters in "a basket of deplorables" in 2016 potentially cost Clinton the election; it doesn't matter whether or not her name-calling was somehow 'accurate,' there was literally no upside and some obvious downsides to a presidential candidate declaring her open contempt for a quarter of the country.
You're right, she should have called them and him fascists instead.
The point is that Republicans yelling 'communists' and Democrats yelling 'fascists' looks like two squabbling parties throwing hyperbole at each other; that's the genius of the "every Republican accusation is a confession" political strategy, it's effective in dragging everything down to the same level for anyone who is partisan or uninformed (which is most people).
I don't care what it looks like.

The point is that name-calling whether accurate or not isn't an effective strategy for "destroying" (or even defeating) fascism in America, and even moreso that Democrats don't want to destroy fascism since they actively support MAGA candidates as their political opponents. That 'lesser evil' political strategy of promoting and emphasizing the evilness of the opposition rather than offering substantially better options as an alternative has been one of the major reasons for the surge in fascist tendencies to begin with. The center-right business-as-usual politics of Obama, Clinton and Biden simply and obviously have not worked well enough for a huge swathe of ordinary Americans, contributing heavily both towards the discontent on which fascism feeds and towards the supposed 'anti-establishment' facade of Trump. With some justification many Americans already view their democracy as ineffective or broken; an electoral strategy which depends heavily on how nasty those fascists are amounts to telling the people "We'll give you more of the same plutocracy, but they want to give you a more authoritarian change!" As scary as that change may be, it's pretty clear that there are huge numbers of Americans who either think the rhetoric is overblown... or are willing to risk it anyway in the hopes of some kind of change.

But the "other" basket – the other basket – and I know because I look at this crowd I see friends from all over America here: I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas and – as well as, you know, New York and California – but that "other" basket of people are people who feel the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures; and they're just desperate for change. It doesn't really even matter where it comes from. They don't buy everything he says, but – he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won't wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they're in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well.​
~ Hillary Clinton, 2016​
Listen, I'm not going to pretend I can be nice to these people just because a lot of Americans are ****ing stupid and don't see the problem they face. They're never gonna figure out what the problem is if we all just pretend it's not really a problem. "They're just people with a difference of opinion, beat them in the marketplace of ideas!!!" ****in... no, man! They're trying to burn the country to the ground! None of these people respond to reasoned debate. We're gonna have to stop them with handcuffs now, or bullets later. Our goal should be to prepare people for this outcome.

In 2016 Hillary Clinton believed many of these people could still be reached, still be brought back to reality. Maybe it was true, maybe at the time there was a chance.

It's 2024 now. We're past that now.

Last edited:
The GOP is trying to burn the ****ing country to the ground.
They're trying to burn the country to the ground!
You're pretty consistent in your use of ridiculous emotional hyperbole like this, directly mirroring Trump's own rhetoric - fight like hell or you won't have a country any more. Even the likes of Hitler, Mao or Stalin didn't "burn their countries to the ground." That brand of political rhetoric is exactly the sort of cartoonish nonsense that reasonable people should ignore.

We're gonna have to stop them with handcuffs now
You want to arrest 70 million Trump supporters? What crimes do you have in mind?

, or bullets later. Our goal should be to prepare people for this outcome.
If you want a self-fulfilling prophecy, for sure :rolleyes: Telling people you plan to either arrest or shoot them is certainly one way to encourage them to fight against you with every legal and illegal means at their disposal, and show everyone else that you're just as much an authoritarian extremist as they are. Sadly you're not the only one even on this forum. Bleating that "they said it first" is a relevant but hardly compelling point.

Where do you suppose the loyalties of the generally right-leaning police and military institutions will lie, should it come to the civil war you apparently want to edge people towards? A civil war potentially would 'burn the country to the ground,' or near enough to it. Seems to me the only rational options are peaceful electoral victory, due process for any crimes committed and (if Trump managed to seize power nonetheless) nonviolent resistance.

Last edited:
You're pretty consistent in your use of ridiculous emotional hyperbole like this, directly mirroring Trump's own rhetoric - fight like hell or you won't have a country any more. Even the likes of Hitler, Mao or Stalin didn't "burn their countries to the ground." That brand of political rhetoric is exactly the sort of cartoonish nonsense that reasonable people should ignore.
It is not "cartoonish" to use that sort of phrasing for Adolf ****ing Hitler. He burnt most of Europe to the ground. Including Germany, actually.

These people are openly calling to overthrow the US government if they lose again in 2024. They're the ones who want a civil war.

Nonviolent resistance? Against the Fourth Reich? **** that.

It is not "cartoonish" to use that sort of phrasing for Adolf ****ing Hitler. He burnt most of Europe to the ground. Including Germany, actually.
Neither Donald Trump nor his supporters are "trying to burn the -ing country to the ground." It's cartoonish hyperbole that reasonable people should ignore, and suggesting that he is "Adolf -ing Hitler" just makes you look even more unhinged.

These people are openly calling to overthrow the US government if they lose again in 2024. They're the ones who want a civil war.
And you are calling to overthrow the US government if they win :rolleyes:

Nonviolent resistance? Against the Fourth Reich? **** that.
Good grief, never mind lesser evil politics: You are somehow managing to make yourself and those who share your views look like an equal evil to the fascists your Democratic Party have supported. You're openly calling for the mass imprisonment of your political rivals or, failing that, a civil war against them which would cause massive loss of life and serious physical devastation to the country.

Last edited:
And you are calling to overthrow the US government if they win :rolleyes:
Lying about what I've said ends the conversation. Goodbye.

Lying about what I've said ends the conversation. Goodbye.
You've literally declared that they are/would be "the Fourth Reich"; that "this isn't just political squabbling any more" and your plan/hope is to "destroy them," these masses of Trump supporters, with either "handcuffs now, or bullets later" and outright rejected my statement that the only rational options are peaceful electoral victory, due process for any crimes committed and (if Trump managed to gain power nonetheless) nonviolent resistance.

Back
Top Bottom