• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Happy Birthday Conservative Debt Concerns

Vern

back from Vegas
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Yes, you were born on this day 6 short years ago. Sure, some people expressed mild concerns before that but it was just a little kicking in the womb. On this day 6 years ago you burst into world kicking and screaming. Literally. Like a colicky baby you just couldn’t be pacified. You wanted your massive budget cuts and you wanted them now. you just wouldn’t listen to reason that budget cuts will only make the Great Bush Recession worse. The most important thing was to end the Great Bush Recession and get the economy growing we explained. But to no avail.

Oh how you screamed over and over “ the stimulus would cause hyper inflation, dollar collapse, market to zero” . What did you care about the economy cratering at -8.2% and losing 700,000 jobs a month with the financial system in ruins, you were just born. Mad about not getting your way you screamed that bailing out the auto companies was wrong and illegal even. You couldnt undertand that the autobailout reduced the deficit. What did you know, you werent even 6 months old. You screamed about everything.

Don’t even get me started on the “terrible twos”.

Yes, you were born on this day 6 short years ago. Sure, some people expressed mild concerns before that but it was just a little kicking in the womb. On this day 6 years ago you burst into world kicking and screaming. Literally. Like a colicky baby you just couldn’t be pacified. You wanted your massive budget cuts and you wanted them now. you just wouldn’t listen to reason that budget cuts will only make the Great Bush Recession worse. The most important thing was to end the Great Bush Recession and get the economy growing we explained. But to no avail.

Oh how you screamed over and over “ the stimulus would cause hyper inflation, dollar collapse, market to zero” . What did you care about the economy cratering at -8.2% and losing 700,000 jobs a month with the financial system in ruins, you were just born. Mad about not getting your way you screamed that bailing out the auto companies was wrong and illegal even. You couldnt undertand that the autobailout reduced the deficit. What did you know, you werent even 6 months old. You screamed about everything.

The Democrats controlled Congress then. Just as you blame today's issues on a Republican congress (you being the left wing).

This whining back and forth is so annoying. Thank you both for the debt.

The Democrats controlled Congress then. Just as you blame today's issues on a Republican congress (you being the left wing).

Truth! What a refreshing bout of truth.

Republicans and Democrats both add debt, it is just a question of how much debt and what the spending wants were at the time. We did not get to over $18 Trillion in Debt, now well north of 100% of GDP, because of any one party. We got there because of realized politics, getting elected these days is about treasury promise. Usually it boils down to the promise of less contribution to the Treasury with taxation, more from it in promises of spending, or some terrible combination of the two. When they both yell at each other about fiscal responsibility that usually boils down to who is in charge, and opposition being upset about it.

Republicans and Democrats both add debt, it is just a question of how much debt and what the spending wants were at the time. We did not get to over $18 Trillion in Debt, now well north of 100% of GDP, because of any one party. We got there because of realized politics, getting elected these days is about treasury promise. Usually it boils down to the promise of less contribution to the Treasury with taxation, more from it in promises of spending, or some terrible combination of the two. When they both yell at each other about fiscal responsibility that usually boils down to who is in charge, and opposition being upset about it.

Exactly! The person who created this thread should be embarrassed for such remarks. It's like a brother and sister in a fight and the brother goes crying to mommy about a fight they both engaged in, wanting the sister to get punished first.

Or, stated another way, the plan not enacted would have been better than the plan enacted. Both parties, as well as noisy individuals among them, often assert that alternate history would have resulted if alternate plans were enacted. You seem convinced that the best plan was your plan and that no other could have worked as well - even Obama does not go that far. ;)

Or, stated another way, the plan not enacted would have been better than the plan enacted. Both parties, as well as noisy individuals among them, often assert that alternate history would have resulted if alternate plans were enacted. You seem convinced that the best plan was your plan and that no other could have worked as well - even Obama does not go that far. ;)

This person is not slightly liberal, they are on the extreme edge.

I predict a thorough and well-deserved flushing...

mmmmmm, why cant you address what I posted instead of some imaginary post? I get that a lot from conservatives so I wonder.......

er uh OS, deficits went up under Bush because he increased spending and cut taxes at the beginning of his term. At the end of his term, deficits went up more because he destroyed the economy which destroyed revenues and increased costs. President Obama was handed trillion dollar deficits. Please put them in the proper context

When Bush proposed his FY 2009 budget, we didn’t know we were in a recession. he proposed 3.1 trillion dollar budget (we’ll let it slide for now that it was really a 3.2 trillion budget because of the games Bush played with funding the war). Estimated revenues were 2.8 trillion. When the CBO issued its budget outlook for FY 2009 in January, spending was revised up to 3.54 trillion and revenues revised down to 2.35 trilllion. Ouch, that’s a 1.2 trillion dollar budget deficit for Bush’s FY.

Actual spending came in at 3.52 trillion and revenue collapsed another 250 billion dollars. Yes, we collected 2.1 trillion. There is your 1.4 trillion dollar budget deficit for FY 2009. You want to subtract the 150 billion stimulus?. Feel free. But be sure to tack on the 40 billion in rebate checks Bush mailed out in 2001. Me, I don’t subtract the stimulus spending because it was necessary to end the Great Bush Recession.

As the deficit is below the 40 year average, I think President Obama's should get a little credit here. now if you want to keep it low, dont vote republican

mmmmmm, why cant you address what I posted instead of some imaginary post? I get that a lot from conservatives so I wonder.......

"Slightly liberal". Anyone who assumes that people who oppose of your argument are "conservative", is highly ignorant and immature, and VERY EXTREME.

The TRUTH is that the Democrat Congres and Republican President caused the debt. Just like you whine and cry about a Republican congress now.

Game over bro.

Last edited:
"Slightly liberal". Anyone who assumes that people who oppose of your argument is "conservative", is highly ignorant and immature.

The TRUTH is that the Democrat Congres and Republican President caused the debt. Just like you whine and cry about a Republican congress now.

Game over bro.

er uh bravo, conservatives routinely read my posts, hit the reply button and then respond to something I didnt post. You did that. And shock of shocks you did it again. I didnt assume you were a conservative because you opposed my post. I clearly stated that did not respond to what I posted so I continue to wonder............less.

er uh bravo, conservatives routinely read my posts, hit the reply button and then respond to something I didnt post. You did that. And shock of shocks you did it again. I didnt assume you were a conservative because you opposed my post. I clearly stated that did not respond to what I posted so I continue to wonder............less.

What you stated was a lie. The Democrat controlled Congress was just as responsible. Thank you very much for the debt.

You're confusing politicians with conservatives. Most Rep. congresscritters are pretty much liberals when it comes to spending. Non-politician conservatives have been opposing the rising debt for decades. It's been one of the issues that gave birth to the Tea Party and has been a complaint for many for a very long time. What you're doing is assigning to us the attributes you want to see, instead of being honest and seeing what we really believe. Pretty pathetic...

mmmm, Ttwtt, we do know the Plan we got was better than the plan republicans pretended they wanted. Their pretending proves they knew President Obama’s plan was better. They were just pandering to a gullible base the whole time they knew the stimulus would pass. It was win win for them. pretend its bad, vote against it, show up for the photo op.

Now if you want to discuss how we could have made it better I would love to. But that requires understanding the stimulus spending was the way to go. Republicans have proven they understood that principle when the fought Clinton’s tax increases and approved Bush’s two stimuli. Strangely on 1/20/2009 they forgot. Hey look, “republican lies about the debt” has the same birthday as “conservative debt concerns” what an amazing coincidence.

What you stated was a lie. The Democrat controlled Congress was just as responsible. Thank you very much for the debt.

good news Bravo, I think I cracked your “whine” code. Just so you know it greatly helps any discussion if you are clear about what exactly you are whining about. (conservative posts are also vague). I’m pretty sure your complaint ( I have to guess because you weren’t clear) is about me calling the Great Bush Recession the Great Bush Recession. The fact that the Great Bush Recession started on Bush’s watch alone doesn’t give you the right to call that a “lie”. And if you knew anything about the cause of the Great Bush Recession you would know that if anything needs to be called a “lie” it would attributing any responsibility to the democratic congress. See, the Bush Mortgage Bubble popped in late 2006. And just so you know the Bush Mortgage Bubble started late 2004. so if you want to attribute any responsibility to congress for the Great Bush Recession then assign it to the republican congress. Here’s a thread that can answer most if not all of your questions about the Bush Mortgage Bubble

http://www.debatepolitics.com/us-pa...56717-bush-mortgage-bubble-faqs-w-1083-a.html

bravo, watch I respond to a post so as there is little or no confusion as to what my point is.

You're confusing politicians with conservatives.

If you are confused, my subsequent posts clearly differentiate between conservatives debt concerns and republican pandering to those debt concerns.

Most Rep. congresscritters are pretty much liberals when it comes to spending.

What you're doing is assigning to republicans the attributes you want to see, instead of being honest and seeing what we really know. Pretty pathetic..

Non-politician conservatives have been opposing the rising debt for decades. It's been one of the issues that gave birth to the Tea Party and has been a complaint for many for a very long time. What you're doing is assigning to us the attributes you want to see, instead of being honest and seeing what we really believe. Pretty pathetic...

wrong again FS. I clearly stated there were some “mild concerns” about debt before 1/20/2009. After 1/20/2009 it was fanatical and destructive “concerns”. and this “concern” was only fanned by the pandering and lies of republican politicians and the conservative entertainment complex. Hey remember when you were convinced that the stimulus would cause “hyper inflation, dollar collapse, market to zero. Its kinda the point of the thread. See if you can respond to that.

good news Bravo, I think I cracked your “whine” code. Just so you know it greatly helps any discussion if you are clear about what exactly you are whining about. (conservative posts are also vague). I’m pretty sure your complaint ( I have to guess because you weren’t clear) is about me calling the Great Bush Recession the Great Bush Recession. The fact that the Great Bush Recession started on Bush’s watch alone doesn’t give you the right to call that a “lie”. And if you knew anything about the cause of the Great Bush Recession you would know that if anything needs to be called a “lie” it would attributing any responsibility to the democratic congress. See, the Bush Mortgage Bubble popped in late 2006. And just so you know the Bush Mortgage Bubble started late 2004. so if you want to attribute any responsibility to congress for the Great Bush Recession then assign it to the republican congress. Here’s a thread that can answer most if not all of your questions about the Bush Mortgage Bubble

http://www.debatepolitics.com/us-pa...56717-bush-mortgage-bubble-faqs-w-1083-a.html

bravo, watch I respond to a post so as there is little or no confusion as to what my point is.

If you are confused, my subsequent posts clearly differentiate between conservatives debt concerns and republican pandering to those debt concerns.

What you're doing is assigning to republicans the attributes you want to see, instead of being honest and seeing what we really know. Pretty pathetic..

wrong again FS. I clearly stated there were some “mild concerns” about debt before 1/20/2009. After 1/20/2009 it was fanatical and destructive “concerns”. and this “concern” was only fanned by the pandering and lies of republican politicians and the conservative entertainment complex. Hey remember when you were convinced that the stimulus would cause “hyper inflation, dollar collapse, market to zero. Its kinda the point of the thread. See if you can respond to that.

I see now that you're a liberal extremist. You, exactly like the extremist conservatives, are not able to see reality. You ONLY see on side of the story. Your dangerous way of thinking is exactly why no one wants to work with Obama, and why Obama doesn't want to work with anyone. The only code you need to crack is the partisan code. Until then, enjoy living in your underground bunker with Al Gore plotting against the Republicans.

Oh and thanks for the debt, Democrat Congress of 2006.

In related news, once again Democrats abort debt concerns and go on happily ****ing taxpayers and popping a morning after pill.

The Democrats didn't completely control the Senate. Al Franken was seated nearly eight months after winning his Senate seat. Even if the Senate was controlled by Democrats (e.g. 50 seats), the statement ignores two other facts. a) there were Democrats in the Senate that vote as if they were Republicans. b) Republicans liberally used the filibuster to block legislation.

First, the Democrats never had 60 Senate seats post-2008. They had between 56 and 58 seats. For that very brief period they had 58 seats with consistent support from Bernie Sanders and inconsistent support from Joe Lieberman. The Democrats hardly had 60 Dem seats, and hardly 60 reliable Dem votes. Then in a special election the following January, Scott Brown won Teddy Kennedy’s old seat, and was sworn in on February 4th.
Democrats' 60-vote majority in Senate: So close and yet so far - latimes.com

Second, debt wasn't created equally among the two parties. Under Reagan, the debt triples to $3 trillion. Bush I added about a trillion in fours years. Clinton added less than $2 trillion in eight years. Bush II added $4 trillion in eight years. The debt under Obama were chiefly caused by reduced revenue from the financial crisis and not runaway spending.

12-16-09bud-rev6-28-10-f1.jpg

Under Obama, the deficit has shrunk greatly.

usgs_line.php
usgs_line.php

The Tea Party, a group of former Bush supporters who mysteriously became interested in the debt and deficit after the inauguration of Barack Obama.

In related news, once again Democrats abort debt concerns and go on happily ****ing taxpayers and popping a morning after pill.
While deficit hawks are quick to obsess about deficits and debt, neither is America's main problem. Unemployment trumps debt as a concern and only an economic illiterate would focus on reducing a sustainable deficit while many are unemployed.

Moreover, according to these same conservative deficit hawks, we can’t afford unemployment benefits or public investment, but when it come to cutting taxes on the rich, money is literally no object.

The Democrats didn't completely control the Senate. Al Franken was seated nearly eight months after winning his Senate seat. Even if the Senate was controlled by Democrats (e.g. 50 seats), the statement ignores two other facts. a) there were Democrats in the Senate that vote as if they were Republicans. b) Republicans liberally used the filibuster to block legislation.

First, the Democrats never had 60 Senate seats post-2008. They had between 56 and 58 seats. For that very brief period they had 58 seats with consistent support from Bernie Sanders and inconsistent support from Joe Lieberman. The Democrats hardly had 60 Dem seats, and hardly 60 reliable Dem votes. Then in a special election the following January, Scott Brown won Teddy Kennedy’s old seat, and was sworn in on February 4th.
Democrats' 60-vote majority in Senate: So close and yet so far - latimes.com

Second, debt wasn't created equally among the two parties. Under Reagan, the debt triples to $3 trillion. Bush I added about a trillion in fours years. Clinton added less than $2 trillion in eight years. Bush II added $4 trillion in eight years. The debt under Obama were chiefly caused by reduced revenue from the financial crisis and not runaway spending.

View attachment 67179254

Under Obama, the deficit has shrunk greatly.

usgs_line.php
usgs_line.php

This is the one of the greatest deflections of all time. Congrats dude! Wooooo partisan!!!

This is the one of the greatest deflections of all time. Congrats dude! Wooooo partisan!!!

Facts are partisan, in that they are usually biased in favor of liberals.

Translation: "I have no way to counter your indisputable facts."

Translation: "I have no way to counter your indisputable facts."

The fact is that Democrats controlled congress, and we went into a recession. It's horrible that both Republicans and Democrats did that to us.

The fact is that Democrats controlled congress, and we went into a recession. It's horrible that both Republicans and Democrats did that to us.
You know, I opened my house windows and it started to rain. Opening the window must have made it rain. Ok, if your theory, such as it is, is that the Democratic controlled Congress was responsible for the recession, what policies did that Congress pass that caused the recession?

Back
Top Bottom