• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Guardian piece on Senate CIA torture report

Why would it be illegal and un-American? We executed German and Japanese troops during WW2 without the benefit of a trial. The Nuremberg trials were set up to achieve a desired outcome. I mean, who thought anyone at Nuremberg was going to found, "not guilty"?
And you take pride in that? Remind me again how are you better than them?

No, she shouldn't. Lol

Funny thing with democracy is you need to plan on the other guy having the power too. And when it comes to a justice system, you should plan for a system in which you are ok with being a defendant.

Last edited:
Funny thing with democracy is you need to plan on the other guy having the power too. And when it comes to a justice system, you should plan for a system in which you are ok with being a defendant.

Hillary Clinton is the price of democracy. Any idiot can run for office.

Hillary Clinton is the price of democracy. Any idiot can run for office.

This is why I am not remotely comfortable with our government creating an in-between legal classification where an individual doesn't have the due process rights of the civilian criminal justice system and also doesn't have the rights granted to prisoners of war. If I hook up with a gal at a bar and it turns out she's a CIA analyst's girlfriend, I'd like to have a lawyer before I end up in Guantanamo bay.

And you take pride in that? Remind me again how are you better than them?

We have freedom and liberty. We don't murder millions of innocent people.

This is why I am not remotely comfortable with our government creating an in-between legal classification where an individual doesn't have the due process rights of the civilian criminal justice system and also doesn't have the rights granted to prisoners of war. If I hook up with a gal at a bar and it turns out she's a CIA analyst's girlfriend, I'd like to have a lawyer before I end up in Guantanamo bay.

The terrorists at Gitmo aren't American citizens

We have freedom and liberty.
Are we the only ones? Besides, that was not the question.

We don't murder millions of innocent people.
People of Dresden, Hiroshima and Nagasaki, etc. etc. would disagree, but at how many exactly do you draw the line and how many millions have died due to terrorism?

The terrorists at Gitmo aren't American citizens

So what? If a government decides to chuck due process, they aren't going to give a **** whether you're a citizen or not.

Fourteenth amendment says ANY PERSON. I believe in that.

You didn't know that German troops died from starvation and exposure in Allied prison camps after WW2? They were redesignated, "disarmed enemy forces", and the rules suddenly didn't apply.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheinwiesenlager

That isn't including the millions that were taken to Russia, to be used as slave labor. Most never returned.

According to the article only .3% of Nazis died in US captivity. In Soviet captivity, 15% Nazis died. But given that Nazi crimes against Jews and Russians were extraordinary, I can not blame the Soviet treatment of the Nazis. That was a World War.

According to the article only .3% of Nazis died in US captivity. In Soviet captivity, 15% Nazis died. But given that Nazi crimes against Jews and Russians were extraordinary, I can not blame the Soviet treatment of the Nazis. That was a World War.

The nazis got what deserved. So should the terrorists.

So what? If a government decides to chuck due process, they aren't going to give a **** whether you're a citizen or not.

Fourteenth amendment says ANY PERSON. I believe in that.

You want to mirandize them next?

The nazis got what deserved. So should the terrorists.

In ordinary time even the worst criminals have the benefit of Eighth Amendment. During WWII with all Soviet losses, normal functioning of society was briefly suspended.

Are we the only ones? Besides, that was not the question.

People of Dresden, Hiroshima and Nagasaki, etc. etc. would disagree, but at how many exactly do you draw the line and how many millions have died due to terrorism?

Those people shouldn't have gone to war with us. It was war. The sooner it ends, the fewer people will die.

Dresden was a Nazi city during WWII.

But indeed, USA is guilty of about two million civilian deaths mostly bombing Japan 1945, North Korea 1950-53 and Southeast Asia 1965 -- 73.

Remind me again how are you better than them?

Terrorists are very few -- they can cause limited damage. If USA abandons The Constitution it would cause enormous damage.

Already, USA tortures tens of thousands of people by Supermax Prisons.

In ordinary time even the worst criminals have the benefit of Eighth Amendment. During WWII with all Soviet losses, normal functioning of society was briefly suspended.

9h, ordinary times . Was the 9/11 attack ordinary?

Dresden was a Nazi city during WWII.

But indeed, USA is guilty of about two million civilian deaths mostly bombing Japan 1945, North Korea 1950-53 and Southeast Asia 1965 -- 73.

The fascists and the communists are responsible for those deaths. If not for them, we wouldn't even have been there.

Why are you trying to justify the murder of 3,000+ innocents?

That was a tragedy, but it did not disturb the normal application of The Laws and life in USA. It was not a World War.

The fascists and the communists are responsible for those deaths. If not for them, we wouldn't even have been there.

USA has a very long history of Human Rights violations -- Slavery, and murder of civilians. At this point all of us should work on upholding The Constitution.

That was a tragedy, but it did not disturb the normal application of The Laws and life in USA. It was not a World War.

The laws say that illegal combatants aren't protected by normal due process.

And, the 8th Amendment doesn't say, "all people".

USA has a very long history of Human Rights violations -- Slavery, and murder of civilians. At this point all of us should work on upholding The Constitution.

No, The United States doesn't have a, "long history", of any of that.

The laws say that illegal combatants aren't protected by normal due process.

And, the 8th Amendment doesn't say, "all people".

When it was written it applied to the worst highwayman, and now it applies to the worst serial killer.

Back
Top Bottom