• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Government regulation of canine phenotypes?

You.

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Heard a snippet of the story in the car.

Definitely have mixed feelings on this one. I strongly believe it’s better for the dogs in the long run, but it seems crazy and overreaching at the same time.

Obviously, it would be great if the dog breeders self regulated, but… that ain’t gonna happen

There are definitely breeds that shouldn’t exist or be perpetuated but I agree that it is overreach for the government to command that for such breeds that are not a public safety risk.

Heard a snippet of the story in the car.

Definitely have mixed feelings on this one. I strongly believe it’s better for the dogs in the long run, but it seems crazy and overreaching at the same time.

Obviously, it would be great if the dog breeders self regulated, but… that ain’t gonna happen

I actually tend to agree with this. These poor dogs often need surgery just to be able to breathe, and can't run and play normally like most dogs because of their breathing issues. They tend to have weight issues as well due to lack of mobility. Very sad.

There are definitely breeds that shouldn’t exist or be perpetuated but I agree that it is overreach for the government to command that for such breeds that are not a public safety risk.
There is no such thing as a 'bad' dog. There are bad dog owners aplenty, and that's the root of the problem.

This would be just yet one more thing for the government to **** up, which it invariably does with just about everything it touches.

I actually tend to agree with this. These poor dogs often need surgery just to be able to breathe, and can't run and play normally like most dogs because of their breathing issues. They tend to have weight issues as well due to lack of mobility. Very sad.
The UK is looking at banning English Bulldogs due to the health problems. Veterinarians say the only time these dogs can breath freely is when they are intubated.

I don’t think it’s overreaching. I’m guessing we all agree there should be laws against animal cruelty ? Breeding animals in such a way to make them struggle to breed is animal cruelty to me. Not even to mention the certain vanity of people who want a “pure breed”

There is no such thing as a 'bad' dog. There are bad dog owners aplenty, and that's the root of the problem.

This would be just yet one more thing for the government to **** up, which it invariably does with just about everything it touches.
Lol this is blatantly untrue, pit bulls are simply bad dogs no matter how good the owners are

Lol this is blatantly untrue, pit bulls are simply bad dogs no matter how good the owners are
You are very very wrong. I have a close friend of 30 years who breeds pits and other bullies and it's bad humans who make them mean. NO dog is born bad, that's an ignorant statement.

You are very very wrong. I have a close friend of 30 years who breeds pits and other bullies and it's bad humans who make them mean. NO dog is born bad, that's an ignorant statement.

I have to respectfully disagree with you there, Jessie C. I agree that pit bulls are not malicious, or born bad. Of course pit bulls can be loving, affectionate dogs. All dogs can be. But whenever we hear about children being killed by a dog in the news, it is invariably a pit bull that did it. They account for more dog bites than any other breed. And it isn't just disgusting, insecure thuggish men who train their pit bulls to be pit fighting dogs or guard animals whose dogs do the biting and killing. There are too many stories of perfectly lovely families who aren't abusive towards their animals turning their back on their pitbulls for a moment only to find them tearing their children to pieces.

But I would liken it to those stupid Russian men who keep brown bears, or those crazy Nigerians who own Hyenas. Brown bears and hyenas aren't bad animals. They just should not be owned as pets in a domestic setting, even if many or even most of those bears and hyenas never attack their owners or families or neighbors. The reason is because if these animals get upset, irritated, scared or instinctively lash out and lock their jaws on you...you are dead, or will likely be crippled or maimed for life. And the same goes for pit bulls. They are too powerful. Their jaw strength is too great. Their reactivity is too high (because they were originally bred to be fighting dogs).

Are we to really believe that every family whose pit bull attacks and mauls them and their children or a neighbor's child...that all of them are bad dog owners or abusive to their animals behind closed doors?

Last edited:
No, they are actually not bad dogs.
My sister in law has a Pittie who's nothing but a big baby. All she wants is what every dog wants and what every dog deserves, and that's a loving home.

Didn't a guy just get arrested for breeding a super breed of mountain goat?

How is this any different than that? The government clearly already limits our freedom to breed certain animals.

No, they are actually not bad dogs.
My sister in law has a Pittie who's nothing but a big baby. All she wants is what every dog wants and what every dog deserves, and that's a loving home.
Lol “my Pibbie is an angel”

That’s what they all say before they mail a kid or a cat

Lol “my Pibbie is an angel”

That’s what they all say before they mail a kid or a cat
That would be the difference between a properly socialized dog and one that isn't.
That behavior is a risk for any dog which is not properly socialized and not properly under the owner's control.

7 Dog Bite Statistics​

Here are a few shocking stats we’ve compiled from various experts and resources.​
  1. 81% of dog bites cause no injury at all or only minor injuries that do not require medical attention (Source: National Canine Research Council)
  2. You have a 1 in 53,843 chance of dying from a dog bite (Source: National Safety Council)
  3. Dogs who are not spayed or neutered are more likely to have aggressive behavior (Source: The Humane Society)
  4. Most dog bites involve dogs who are not spayed or neutered (Source: The Humane Society)
  5. 25% of fatal attacks were inflicted by chained dogs of many different breeds, according to Fatal Dog Attacks
  6. The insurance industry paid more than $881 million in dog bite-related claims in 2021 (Source: Insurance Information Institute)
  7. More than 5,400 USPS employees were attacked by a dog in 2021 (down from 5,714 in 2019)
  8. More than 12 breeds (not including mixed breeds were associated with dog bite-related fatalities in 2022 (Source: Wikipedia)
. . .​

11 Dog Breeds That Bite Most Often​

Wondering what dogs that bite the most? Here’s a list of the dog breeds known to bite the most frequently, according to Puppy Lover News.​
  • Chihuahua
  • English Bulldog
  • Pit Bull
  • German Shepherd
  • Australian Shepherd
  • Lhasa Apso
  • Jack Russell Terrier
  • Cocker Spaniel
  • Bull Terrier
  • Pekingese
  • Papillion

Seems like you should be more concerns about Chihuahua and English Bulldog bit incidents before maligning Pit Bulls.

I don't agree with this. Just like what happens when you breed other animals, such as bees, you can breed in more aggression, more volatility, more lethality, including into the entire breed. I'm not saying there can't be some that don't gain these excess traits, but we have seen a general trend within certain breeds of this increase in these negative traits. Whether this means it is to a level to legitimately have restrictions or not, I'd have to have more data. But I don't doubt that certain breeds of dogs are more likely to have aggressive tendencies. To say they are "bad" isn't necessarily correct. Wild animals that attack humans aren't bad. It is instinct. The same would be true for this too.

That would be the difference between a properly socialized dog and one that isn't.
That behavior is a risk for any dog which is not properly socialized and not properly under the owner's control.

7 Dog Bite Statistics​

Here are a few shocking stats we’ve compiled from various experts and resources.​
  1. 81% of dog bites cause no injury at all or only minor injuries that do not require medical attention (Source: National Canine Research Council)
  2. You have a 1 in 53,843 chance of dying from a dog bite (Source: National Safety Council)
  3. Dogs who are not spayed or neutered are more likely to have aggressive behavior (Source: The Humane Society)
  4. Most dog bites involve dogs who are not spayed or neutered (Source: The Humane Society)
  5. 25% of fatal attacks were inflicted by chained dogs of many different breeds, according to Fatal Dog Attacks
  6. The insurance industry paid more than $881 million in dog bite-related claims in 2021 (Source: Insurance Information Institute)
  7. More than 5,400 USPS employees were attacked by a dog in 2021 (down from 5,714 in 2019)
  8. More than 12 breeds (not including mixed breeds were associated with dog bite-related fatalities in 2022 (Source: Wikipedia)
. . .​

11 Dog Breeds That Bite Most Often​

Wondering what dogs that bite the most? Here’s a list of the dog breeds known to bite the most frequently, according to Puppy Lover News.​
  • Chihuahua
  • English Bulldog
  • Pit Bull
  • German Shepherd
  • Australian Shepherd
  • Lhasa Apso
  • Jack Russell Terrier
  • Cocker Spaniel
  • Bull Terrier
  • Pekingese
  • Papillion

Seems like you should be more concerns about Chihuahua and English Bulldog bit incidents before maligning Pit Bulls.
Chihuahuas don’t kill. When pit bulls attack they cause disfiguring injury or death. They are trained to attack without warning and can lock their jaws in bite shake and hold attacks, they cause the vast majority of serious attacks and fatalities

You are very very wrong. I have a close friend of 30 years who breeds pits and other bullies and it's bad humans who make them mean.
I don’t have friends who push dangerous dogs on society, if you have such friends you need new friends. The pit bull is the least wanted dog in America, they clog shelters and dogs with dangerous histories are adopted to unsuspecting people with regularity, people who make more of these animals are bad people
NO dog is born bad,
Blah blah blah
that's an ignorant statement.
You can say that all you want. Go watch the YouTube channel pit bull victim awareness, they have enough news reports of serious attacks to make compilations of news stories hours long showing nothing but pit bull attacks

Chihuahuas don’t kill. When pit bulls attack they cause disfiguring injury or death.
OK.

They are trained to attack without warning
All pitbulls? Really?
I think you've just invalidated your own argument, as a responsible pitbull owner wouldn't train theirs to do this now, would they?

and can lock their jaws in bite shake and hold attacks, they cause the vast majority of serious attacks and fatalities
You don't want to Pitbull. Fine. Don't get one. No one is going to force you to have one.

Don't go an infringe on a responsible Pitbull owner to having one.

Same damn argument as guns and 2A. 'Because I'm scared of something might happen, you lose your rights'. It's a bad argument.

I’d prefer to see a situation where ANY breeder of ANY dog has to be licensed, inspected, insured and have the health (including disposition) of the animal certified by a licensed vet BEFORE they were allowed to be a breeder.

I loathe “backyard breeders” who are in business for quick profit and treat animals horribly and with no respect for which animals should/should not be bred.

The animals aren’t to blame nor are they the problem. The humans breeding them for profit are

* Note: I’m not speaking about the GOOD and RESPONSIBLE breeders out there. Good breeders wouldn’t be breeding dogs with medical issues, temperament issues, etc start with.

OK.

All pitbulls? Really?
I think you've just invalidated your own argument, as a responsible pitbull owner wouldn't train theirs to do this now, would they?

You don't want to Pitbull. Fine. Don't get one. No one is going to force you to have one.

Don't go an infringe on a responsible Pitbull owner to having one.

Same damn argument as guns and 2A. 'Because I'm scared of something might happen, you lose your rights'. It's a bad argument.

A most excellent rebuttal. 👍

A most excellent rebuttal. 👍
Mr. Worldwide | Updates, Reviews, Prices

Back
Top Bottom