• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GOP Lawmaker Calls Hispanic Workers ‘Wetbacks’

You dont have to be a formal leader to be a leader. Often the most effective leaders are not.
Agreed, it's the fan base. But that doesn't make him a leader of the party.

He doesn't hold elected office or official status in any political organization, but that clout still makes him a political leader

Disagree with that last. The actual leadership of the party has many times gone a different way than Rush cheerlead for on his show. He's not a political leader, just as Bill Mahr isn't, just as Steven Colbert isn't.

Rush controls millions of votes, 5 or 6 people listen to Mahr or Colbert.
Disagree with that last. The actual leadership of the party has many times gone a different way than Rush cheerlead for on his show. He's not a political leader, just as Bill Mahr isn't, just as Steven Colbert isn't.

Actually they weren't allowed to stay but were not allowed to continue to cross the border for temp work for a season and then go home with the ability to come back again next season. Tightening the borders had the unintended consequences of bringing MORE across as the families joined the workers and set up permanent residence on this side of the Rio.

What the result turned out to be is making the border a one way crossing, no more easy transit back and forth to do the grunt work few 'real' citizens were willing to do.

The guest worker programs were highly restricted BEFORE families started coming over to live 365 days a year, but I agree there needs to be a realistic guest worker program if there is any hope of keeping stoop labor farm goods flowing and limiting the number coming here to live permanently.

Course from my POV, that doesn't mean the immigration policy should be kept so low. Time for some more salsa in the melting pot!

Nope, you're talking about a more recent time period than we were discussing (late 50s through 70s).

How much does rush make? Millions of dittoheads listen to him every day and almost all vote the way Rush wants them to. You prove they dont.

Agreed, it's the fan base. But that doesn't make him a leader of the party.

I'm claiming he's a political leader, not the leader of a party

This is getting pretty boring. Rush is a very powerful pollitical learder on the right. There is pretty much no argument he isnt.
I'm claiming he's a political leader, not the leader of a party

I;m not claiming he's the leader of a party, but that he has a large pool of voters who he can inspire and direct politically

Rush controls millions of votes, 5 or 6 people listen to Mahr or Colbert.

You're intentionly lowballing the fanbase stats for Colbert at least (I can only hope it's that low for that asshat Mahr). Regardless, doesn't make him a party leader. Unless you think being a major advertiser on television makes you a leader of the television industry (Hint: it gives you some power in the process, but your not a leader).

Nope, you're talking about a more recent time period than we were discussing (late 50s through 70s).

Nope, talking about the same time as well. Many Mexicans had 6 months jobs and came and went as their work permits allowed. It wasn't until the programs were scrapped and or greatly restricted that 'they' started staying rather than risk being denied re-entrance to this country. The jobs are here but the family back in Mexico... guess which way the flow went?

I;m not claiming he's the leader of a party, but that he has a large pool of voters who he can inspire and direct politically

I agree he has clout. However, there are folks here asserting he is the leader of the republican party.

Ok you got me there, maybe dozens watch them both.
You're intentionly lowballing the fanbase stats for Colbert at least (I can only hope it's that low for that asshat Mahr). Regardless, doesn't make him a party leader. Unless you think being a major advertiser on television makes you a leader of the television industry (Hint: it gives you some power in the process, but your not a leader).

"I respect Rush Limbaugh, he is a national conservative leader, and in no way do I want to diminish his voice," Steele said in a statement late Monday. "I'm sure that he and I will agree most of the time, but will probably disagree some as well, which is fine.
"The Democrats are doing everything they can to find ways to take people's attention off of their massive 36-billion-dollar-a-day spending spree that Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid have embarked on. To the extent that my remarks helped the Democrats in Washington to take the focus, even for one minute, off of their irresponsible expansion of government, I truly apologize."

GOP chief apologizes for Limbaugh remarks - politics - More politics | NBC News

Nope, talking about the same time as well. Many Mexicans had 6 months jobs and came and went as their work permits allowed. It wasn't until the programs were scrapped and or greatly restricted that 'they' started staying rather than risk being denied re-entrance to this country. The jobs are here but the family back in Mexico... guess which way the flow went?

Well then you have it wrong. There were no "guest workers" in that era - they were called green card holders and the agricultural variety were called migrant workers. They were allowed to be here and to follow the picking season and then went home (wherever that was for them) and came back the next season. By picking a season they would be able to make enough to support their families back home for the rest of the year. Rinse, repeat. The ones deported (and not allowed back the next year) are the ones who skirted the registration process. They didn't bring families because there was no space for family and no support for that family (they lived in migrant housing supplied by the farmers).

I remember when I was a little kid, before the interstate system there were several small houses just a little south of Indy used for migrant workers. In the late 60 or something the interstate (I465) was literally built around them. They were probably there until the late 90s as rentals when there were finally tore down and a motel was built there. Ooops I wandered off, I said all that to agree, there were only inhabited back then during harvest season.
Well then you have it wrong. There were no "guest workers" in that era - they were called green card holders and the agricultural variety were called migrant workers. They were allowed to be here and to follow the picking season and then went home (wherever that was for them) and came back the next season. By picking a season they would be able to make enough to support their families back home for the rest of the year. Rinse, repeat. The ones deported (and not allowed back the next year) are the ones who skirted the registration process. They didn't bring families because there was no space for family and no support for that family (they lived in migrant housing supplied by the farmers).

you seem to have a poor grasp of the Bracero program which was a guest worker program. And yes didn't allow wives to accompany, but you was the one saying the rules were changed so the guest workers could bring wives and thus stop one key reason to continue the border crossing. I say no, the ending of the program in the mid 60's was the game changer as agriculture still wanted pickers but it was too risky to continually cross the border each season. So the men at first and then their families came over and wouldn't risk returning. The ones who skirted the regulations were not deportees but rather the many more workers agribusiness demanded but the quota limit wouldn't allow.

Not at all I'm comparing the responses. Not my problem you can't see hypocrisy when it shines so bright.

Are you really comparing an elected official to the 18 year old son of an actor with a high political profile.

Jesus ****ing christ

Just as much as one congressman represents all Republicans or conservatives. How much of that are you swallowing?

Wait, Sean Penn's kid represents all liberals? Um...I didn't even know he had one to be honest.

Not at all I'm comparing the responses. Not my problem you can't see hypocrisy when it shines so bright.

of course the response is different. One is an 18 year old kid with a politically vocal actor for a parent; the other is an elected government official.

Why would anyone lend the same importance to what they say?

Just as much as one congressman represents all Republicans or conservatives. How much of that are you swallowing?

I think it's possible to condemn the language used by one individual without tarring all Conservatives with that same brush. Are you going to defend the "wetback" remarks just because the guy's a Republicant?

Back
Top Bottom