• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Google will start deleting ‘inactive’ accounts in December. Here’s what you need to know

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

NEW YORK (AP) — Have a Google account you haven’t used in a while? If you want to keep it from disappearing, you should sign in before the end of the week.

Under Google’s updated inactive-account policy, which the tech giant announced back in May, accounts that haven’t been used in at least two years could be deleted. Accounts deemed inactive will be erased in a phased-approach beginning Friday.

If you have an account that’s at risk for deletion, you should receive multiple notices from Google sent to the email affiliated with that account and its recovery address (if one exits). But if you’re still catching up on this new policy — and want to ensure that your content on Google Drive, Docs, Gmail and more is saved — here’s what you need to know.
==============================================
A few posters here should check the status of their Google accounts as it seems that they haven't used it in a long time.

NEW YORK (AP) — Have a Google account you haven’t used in a while? If you want to keep it from disappearing, you should sign in before the end of the week.

Under Google’s updated inactive-account policy, which the tech giant announced back in May, accounts that haven’t been used in at least two years could be deleted. Accounts deemed inactive will be erased in a phased-approach beginning Friday.

If you have an account that’s at risk for deletion, you should receive multiple notices from Google sent to the email affiliated with that account and its recovery address (if one exits). But if you’re still catching up on this new policy — and want to ensure that your content on Google Drive, Docs, Gmail and more is saved — here’s what you need to know.
A few posters here should check the status of their Google accounts as it seems that they haven't used it in a long time.
Thanks for this information.

How the hell could a Google account become inactive? I have an account I’ve had for like 15 years that I still get junk mail in.

How the hell could a Google account become inactive? I have an account I’ve had for like 15 years that I still get junk mail in.

The "Inactive" status isn't determined by email received, it's determined by the last time the owner logged in.

WW

The "Inactive" status isn't determined by email received, it's determined by the last time the owner logged in.

WW

But you have to login to check email. I don’t check my email but I still get it because I have the notifications turned on.

But you have to login to check email. I don’t check my email but I still get it because I have the notifications turned on.

Whether using a 3rd party app (such as mail on an iPhone) accessing for notifications or not counts, I don't know.

Here is some more information.

WW

I have a Gmail account as a backup. I login every so often just to make sure it stays active. In fact, i did it just yesterday after reading this article.

At least they aren't deleting accounts with Youtube videos. There are a lot of 10+ year old videos that i watch regularly. I'd hate to see those disappear.

Back
Top Bottom