• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Earthquake?

I am still amazed, in awe even, at the exponential magnitude of force involved in each step up the scale for earthquakes.

But, and I do not exaggerate, the biggest 'shake' I ever experienced was when Mt St Helen's blew.

That rattled and broke windows across Vancouver while it was barely felt in Seattle

Well, it is unusual, also, the buildings and infrastructure on the East Coast are not Earthquake ready.
Nor are most of the buildings on the west coast.

The post-quake rebuild in San Francisco lasted until the next civic election and as dumped and "too expensive"

No body's ready. I know, I live on the west coast.

Trust me, no one has a ****ing clue. The best guess is four days to clear the streets from 'balcony debris' before they can search for victims......

But, and I do not exaggerate, the biggest 'shake' I ever experienced was when Mt St Helen's blew.

That rattled and broke windows across Vancouver while it was barely felt in Seattle
I didn't know about the impact in Vancouver, but I'm not surprised.

A friend who lives on Kirkland Lake has a geologist husband. He took me up the mountain about 2008 and the damage was still evident. Trees were swept to the ground and the ponds were full of logs.

There were pockets of renewal but I guess it takes a long time for nature to recover from something so traumatic.

Yes. Based on reports I have heard, Trump has conspired with various foreign entities to have caused the quake in hope that it would destroy Manhattan, thus making it highly unlikely that he'll have to pay James or go to jail for Bragg.
Sounds dumb enough to be a Trump plan alright!

A friend who lives on Kirkland Lake has a geologist husband. He took me up the mountain about 2008 and the damage was still evident. Trees were swept to the ground and the ponds were full of logs.

There were pockets of renewal but I guess it takes a long time for nature to recover from something so traumatic.

My first time there was 1987 and it was still really really raw. Dust and devastation. We drove in on the first and, at the time, only newly paved mostly ONE lane road. They had a trailer for a visitor center and a couple of porto potties. A school bus came down to the parking lot and took people up to the trailer in groups. It was up on a hill way across from the open side of the crater. You could also drive down to Spirit Lake which was still almost completely covered by floating blown down trees.

It's been amazing to go back every few years, our visitors usually want to go.

There is an indication that earthquakes have been on the rise, but obviously people have their own explanations: https://kieranmulvey.wordpress.com/...-reported-earthquakes-has-risen-since-1960-4/
Did you even bother to read your link?

Reported earthquakes have increase since 1960 due to many factors. The advancement in technology with more sensitive seismometers to measure smaller earthquakes, that could not be recorded before. Furthermore, since the 1960s more people live in rural and remote areas which will lead to more earthquakes being reported in areas that were previously not being monitored as it was not a hazard to a vulnerable population.

:eek: I passed through a neighborhood on a school bus a few minutes before it was wiped out by a tornado.
OMG, that's horrid! You must have felt stunned!

It's cuz Jehovah is mad.

GKakwdhW0AE5Glv
Trump is going to tell the nation that if he is not elected in November, he will blot out the Sun. To demonstrate his great power, he will give a demonstration in the middle of the United States on Monday April 8th.

Trump is going to tell the nation that if he is not elected in November, he will blot out the Sun. To demonstrate his great power, he will give a demonstration in the middle of the United States on Monday April 8th.
Why does Canada get a demonstration? I've already decided to vote for Biden, again.

Those logs in the ponds?

Are now the biggest source of 'petrified wood" in the word.

It stewed in a mix of ash and tar chemicals and became stone.

I guess the world may not be as old as we thought

Maybe I didn't really give it a chance but what I've seen of Illinois wasn't anything to write home about. I was stationed at Chanute AFB that is now decommissioned in Champaign county for AF tech school, and it just seemed to be out in the middle of a corn field. That was it.

But then again Indiana isn't much better.
Oh, the Champaign-Urbana folks think we "down staters" are nothing but hay seed hicks, we are, but we didn't take a shine to how them "up staters" looked down their noses at us!

I have watched so many documentary programs on that event, even watching it on the news as it happened, I just can't imagine the enormity of it.

Wow.

I guess the shockwave had to be directional as the explosion of magma, earth, and gas was.

Nor are most of the buildings on the west coast.

The post-quake rebuild in San Francisco lasted until the next civic election and as dumped and "too expensive"

No body's ready. I know, I live on the west coast.

Trust me, no one has a ****ing clue. The best guess is four days to clear the streets from 'balcony debris' before they can search for victims......
Yeah, I know I am living in the "kill" zone if the Yellowstone Caldera decides to burp in my lifetime.

We just have no clue yet what this Earth can toss our way.

I have this creeping feeling we are in the early stages of a ramping up of seismic and volcanic activity.

That we will be learning a whole lot more soon about plate tectonics, the ring of fire and the New Madrid fault line.

Oh, the Champaign-Urbana folks think we "down staters" are nothing but hay seed hicks, we are, but we didn't take a shine to how them "up staters" looked down their noses at us!
I'm sure southern Illinois is much nicer than the flat boring northern part of the state. Not a big city person either so Chicago does nothing for me.

Yeah, I know I am living in the "kill" zone if the Yellowstone Caldera decides to burp in my lifetime.

We just have no clue yet what this Earth can toss our way.

I have this creeping feeling we are in the early stages of a ramping up of seismic and volcanic activity.

That we will be learning a whole lot more soon about plate tectonics, the ring of fire and the New Madrid fault line.
I don't believe there is any evidence of a ramping of up seismic and volcanic activity.

I'm sure southern Illinois is much nicer than the flat boring northern part of the state. Not a big city person either so Chicago does nothing for me.
:ROFLMAO:
You ain't been to Southern Illinois then.

Back
Top Bottom