• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Downloading Firefox on Microsoft Edge Windows 11 Desktop

I wish to sort of revive this thread, albeit it is a bit aged.

I wonder if any member here knows how to stop the seamonkey browser from doing the auto storing of data in the SQLite 'formhistory' file located here:

C:\???\???\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\???.default

I'm substituting that "???" for possibly sensitive info names.

I don't usually care to ask tech questions like this and so I sometimes spend hours doing homework and then find out there is a super easy to find box to uncheck, but this time I have not been able to locate that "super easy box" to uncheck. And I spent about two hours or so on this one, to include doing all data logging of any step I tried.

Obviously, I learned I can remove the data from that SQLite file, but it then just creates a new file and the old one is then saved as a corrupted file. Meaning, I've tested that removing data thing and it works, but I am hoping that the programmers that wrote the code for seamonkey didn't make that a "Don't Mess In Here" type code.

Anybody here got any ideas? Sure would appreciate the assistance!

I used FF for years until all the reasons I used it were not there anymore.
FF initial attractiveness was it took waaaay less memory than M$ Explorer, had better security by a factor of 10, and supported multiple tabs.
But as years went by, it became just as bloated as the others, no more secure and had issues when flash first started going away.
I moved to Brave for quite a while also, but kept running into problems on some sites. So I switched to Chrome, don't really want to use Chrome... but I will never use Edge. I won't use something that requires me to have an account to use it, and if I don't sign in - it will bug the shit out of you till you do.
Nope.

I used FF for years until all the reasons I used it were not there anymore.
FF initial attractiveness was it took waaaay less memory than M$ Explorer, had better security by a factor of 10, and supported multiple tabs.
But as years went by, it became just as bloated as the others, no more secure and had issues when flash first started going away.
I moved to Brave for quite a while also, but kept running into problems on some sites. So I switched to Chrome, don't really want to use Chrome... but I will never use Edge. I won't use something that requires me to have an account to use it, and if I don't sign in - it will bug the shit out of you till you do.
Nope.

I agree with your views about Edge. But getting the constant nagging to stop on one of my units around here took some doing. I think that is a Win10 unit. I don't fire that one up very often. I think even this Win7 unit shows that nagging from time-to-time.

Now, the FireFox thing, I'd like to show you something I finally had time to put together:

FiFoLoadStudy-extraA2.jpg

You can see that "entries" folder was just below 1GB in size and in only about a month and a half. I am rather sure that 2/5 date showing a "modified" was only when I went poking in there and possibly dumped something that was in there. You can see there were 24,972 items in that folder. (I left a few "items" showing in that screenshot to show how that folder looks. And I don't know why the "date modified" stamps are mixed up like that, but that is how it was with all 24 thousand plus items.)

So what I did was clean that whole folder. I did not delete the folder itself, as I was concerned that would cause unnecessary trouble. I removed the items about 5,000 at a time. It takes time for them to move to the recycle bin and then takes time to dump them out of the recycle bin. But it is worth the extra time as FireFox will run much faster after that "entries" folder is cleaned out.

And dumping/cleaning the history folder does not clean out that "entries" folder.

Last edited:
You can use third-party cleaners to do that, or addons like Clear Cache.

Also, avoid old OSes that are no longer patched.

You can use third-party cleaners to do that, or addons like Clear Cache.

Also, avoid old OSes that are no longer patched.

Very true, but I don't care for such cleaners. Although there is one that first searches through the entire system and then you have an option to dump stuff --- but I can't remember the name of that one as I type this. When I need it the name will come to me. But even that one I have used very sparingly.

Basically, I like to do all that sort of stuff myself.

AND, I am not so sure one of those cleaners would go into that FireFox 'entries' folder and 'suggest' emptying it. SeaMonkey also has an 'entries' folder that is useful to clean out. [I wonder if they do go into such browser folders.]

I didn't even know that folder got so bloated until I started poking around inside both those two browsers.

And that close to 1GB in only about a month and a half is amazing.

To be straight (and to get in trouble here) I don't trust browser companies, no matter if they claim to be like friendly to us folks and not in it for the profit or some such story. The flat out truth is browser updates are NOT 100% about security. Yes, faster browser speeds are a part of updates, BUT there is also that part about allowing adverts to show. Some sites will not allow you on the site, if your browser won't allow the adverts to show. And I still haven't had time to fully explore/study that stuff about redirects.

Anyway, back to your idea, ralfy, I just don't like third-party stuff, IF there is some way to do the job myself and that "way" isn't TOO time consuming.

AND "do-it-yourself" is getting harder and harder as these tech companies are slowly taking that "do-it-yourself" ability away from the customer. The darn Android and iPhone are classic examples. Well, iPhone I am not so sure about, but the Android my family got me for using in the hospital a few years ago, that system is almost like that place the U.S. stores its gold.

And Microsoft made that Windows 10 a lot harder to poke around in. Don't have a clue about Windows 11, as I haven't worked with one of those machines, yet.

It is mind boggling how much control these tech companies have over the customers' devices. Eventually the governments of many nations will wake up and remove that level of control. Historians in a couple hundred years will look back on these early days of this new Net (New after ARPA.) - - - they will look back on these days and be amazed that we customers actually allowed this in the nations that don't have a lock on control because the governments are such like in Russia or the PRC, and other places. Might be that in the DPRK you aren't even allowed access to the "normal" Net. In fact, when I was a paid admin on a news site that had a forum, way back, we actually spotted a DPRK member on the site. Our site was in the ROK. Server in the ROK, too. That was quite a surprise.

Okay. I better stop. Too much ranting. And maybe close to that 5,000C stop sign.

Very true, but I don't care for such cleaners. Although there is one that first searches through the entire system and then you have an option to dump stuff --- but I can't remember the name of that one as I type this. When I need it the name will come to me. But even that one I have used very sparingly.

Basically, I like to do all that sort of stuff myself.

AND, I am not so sure one of those cleaners would go into that FireFox 'entries' folder and 'suggest' emptying it. SeaMonkey also has an 'entries' folder that is useful to clean out. [I wonder if they do go into such browser folders.]

I didn't even know that folder got so bloated until I started poking around inside both those two browsers.

And that close to 1GB in only about a month and a half is amazing.

To be straight (and to get in trouble here) I don't trust browser companies, no matter if they claim to be like friendly to us folks and not in it for the profit or some such story. The flat out truth is browser updates are NOT 100% about security. Yes, faster browser speeds are a part of updates, BUT there is also that part about allowing adverts to show. Some sites will not allow you on the site, if your browser won't allow the adverts to show. And I still haven't had time to fully explore/study that stuff about redirects.

Anyway, back to your idea, ralfy, I just don't like third-party stuff, IF there is some way to do the job myself and that "way" isn't TOO time consuming.

AND "do-it-yourself" is getting harder and harder as these tech companies are slowly taking that "do-it-yourself" ability away from the customer. The darn Android and iPhone are classic examples. Well, iPhone I am not so sure about, but the Android my family got me for using in the hospital a few years ago, that system is almost like that place the U.S. stores its gold.

And Microsoft made that Windows 10 a lot harder to poke around in. Don't have a clue about Windows 11, as I haven't worked with one of those machines, yet.

It is mind boggling how much control these tech companies have over the customers' devices. Eventually the governments of many nations will wake up and remove that level of control. Historians in a couple hundred years will look back on these early days of this new Net (New after ARPA.) - - - they will look back on these days and be amazed that we customers actually allowed this in the nations that don't have a lock on control because the governments are such like in Russia or the PRC, and other places. Might be that in the DPRK you aren't even allowed access to the "normal" Net. In fact, when I was a paid admin on a news site that had a forum, way back, we actually spotted a DPRK member on the site. Our site was in the ROK. Server in the ROK, too. That was quite a surprise.

Okay. I better stop. Too much ranting. And maybe close to that 5,000C stop sign.

FWIW, what you don't care about is what you're doing manually.

Next, the first-party stuff does the same thing as the third-party stuff.

If you want to avoid all that and want to do things by yourself, try the Tails OS.

Lastly, if you're worried about Russia and the PRC, look up "eyes nations".

I agree with your views about Edge. But getting the constant nagging to stop on one of my units around here took some doing. I think that is a Win10 unit. I don't fire that one up very often. I think even this Win7 unit shows that nagging from time-to-time.

Now, the FireFox thing, I'd like to show you something I finally had time to put together:

View attachment 67501603

You can see that "entries" folder was just below 1GB in size and in only about a month and a half. I am rather sure that 2/5 date showing a "modified" was only when I went poking in there and possibly dumped something that was in there. You can see there were 24,972 items in that folder. (I left a few "items" showing in that screenshot to show how that folder looks. And I don't know why the "date modified" stamps are mixed up like that, but that is how it was with all 24 thousand plus items.)

So what I did was clean that whole folder. I did not delete the folder itself, as I was concerned that would cause unnecessary trouble. I removed the items about 5,000 at a time. It takes time for them to move to the recycle bin and then takes time to dump them out of the recycle bin. But it is worth the extra time as FireFox will run much faster after that "entries" folder is cleaned out.

And dumping/cleaning the history folder does not clean out that "entries" folder.

The plot thickens...

I have FF set to "always use private browsing mode." It holds "entries" only for the current session and those disappear when I exit FF. But when I turn off always use private mode, about a month's worth of entries magically appear. Turning private mode back on does not delete them - I have to do it manually. :unsure:🤷‍♂️

Years ago I put Firefox on my laptop, because even back then I disliked Edge. I want to download it again on my latest computer. I don't know much about computers, so I want to avoid any issues and keep things as simple as possible.

I have an old Firefox password written down. I'm thinking I'll have to have a log in for this new download.

If I'm prompted, should I use the old password again, or will that cause any problems? Would it be less confusing to keep both computers separate as far as passwords? I don't want to sync them, but likely would just want to import the bookmarks from the laptop .

Thanks for any advice.

You said any advice so… :)

Chrome (capabilities through extensions and the like) vs Firefox (it’s being heavy in security) I lean toward Chrome in the final analysis. It’s secure enough and the ability to customize and enhance it through third party extensions is too good to pass up.

Try the multi-account containers addon. Sites will still track you but can be locked in their own containers.

FWIW, what you don't care about is what you're doing manually.

Next, the first-party stuff does the same thing as the third-party stuff.

If you want to avoid all that and want to do things by yourself, try the Tails OS.

Lastly, if you're worried about Russia and the PRC, look up "eyes nations".

I can see I wasn't very careful with the way I wrote that post, ralfy.

I don't personally feel in any way threatened by either of the aforementioned bureaucracies, nor am I without basic knowledge of code layers, even down to the base layer; but what I was trying to assert was that for the average customer using these technical units, be it a laptop, Android, or such like those, the tech companies producing those seem to be making the user interface more and more complicated. In fact, simply removing some features. Well, the "removing" unless you might be familiar with the AOSP code or even a given OEM intent when placing a finished product on the market.

My intent in that post that you noticed, ralfy, is to state that the average customer is getting squeezed into some sort of trap. How to properly define that "trap" or the parameters of intent of that trap isn't yet clear in my notes on the topic, nor in my brain as I give thought to this, when time permits. Oh yes, I should include my writings elsewhere on the Net on this topic. In fact, I am a member of the ISOC and got in trouble with the president there some years ago for very similar writings that went too deep into details and made him and other board members very nervous, if not actually angry, and I was kind of fired.

One more thing of note, I am quite familiar with both TAILS and TOR - - - essentially a partnership there; but the secret nature of that partnership causes too much trouble and I have even gotten in trouble in that sphere of influence by advocating a bit more openness. But we sure better not get too deep into that here or the admin folks could get nervous. In fact, I think they have figured out who I am because that donation thing a few weeks ago fizzled out. I think a monkey wrench was used to close that tap.

Anyway, I'll be busy for a bit as I start to work with this new toy that SoftBank just sent me. I hope I don't do a stupid "broken in frustration" act at this workstation over the next few hours or so. Our tech gal is off today, it being Sunday here.

I can see I wasn't very careful with the way I wrote that post, ralfy.

I don't personally feel in any way threatened by either of the aforementioned bureaucracies, nor am I without basic knowledge of code layers, even down to the base layer; but what I was trying to assert was that for the average customer using these technical units, be it a laptop, Android, or such like those, the tech companies producing those seem to be making the user interface more and more complicated. In fact, simply removing some features. Well, the "removing" unless you might be familiar with the AOSP code or even a given OEM intent when placing a finished product on the market.

My intent in that post that you noticed, ralfy, is to state that the average customer is getting squeezed into some sort of trap. How to properly define that "trap" or the parameters of intent of that trap isn't yet clear in my notes on the topic, nor in my brain as I give thought to this, when time permits. Oh yes, I should include my writings elsewhere on the Net on this topic. In fact, I am a member of the ISOC and got in trouble with the president there some years ago for very similar writings that went too deep into details and made him and other board members very nervous, if not actually angry, and I was kind of fired.

One more thing of note, I am quite familiar with both TAILS and TOR - - - essentially a partnership there; but the secret nature of that partnership causes too much trouble and I have even gotten in trouble in that sphere of influence by advocating a bit more openness. But we sure better not get too deep into that here or the admin folks could get nervous. In fact, I think they have figured out who I am because that donation thing a few weeks ago fizzled out. I think a monkey wrench was used to close that tap.

Anyway, I'll be busy for a bit as I start to work with this new toy that SoftBank just sent me. I hope I don't do a stupid "broken in frustration" act at this workstation over the next few hours or so. Our tech gal is off today, it being Sunday here.

The complications take place because customers want more features, and the latter means a greater attack surface. At the same time, the first also means more potential vulnerabilities, and both in turn require security programs with more features. Finally, both mean more expensive hardware, not just for the additional features but to handle the heavier system load.

Meanwhile, the same developers need to snoop to help customers deal with more complications due to more features, which is why there's a lot of telemetry going on. At the same time, their investors want to earn more, so the telemetry's also monetized. Finally, governments are aware of this, and they want to use the same to also snoop on members of the public.

Thus, the customer isn't just being squeezed into a trap, it's also one that is the outcome of his needs and wants. Given that, here's my advice to the same average customer, and probably the OP:

Stick to Win 11 to avoid complications in having to find drivers for new hardware, replacements for apps that one needs or wants, etc. Otherwise, follow something like this checklist:

while understanding what one is getting into:

not to mention the costs of hiring "tech gals" or whatever.

Let it run by default, but look for tweaks like Optimizer to minimize telemetry, etc. It will only take a minute or two.

If you are annoyed by the appearance and want to make the system look like Win 7, try Open-Shell with ExplorerPatcher. That will take a few more minutes. The latter may lead to problems, though, with updates, so use it only if you find the Win 11 settings for the task bar annoying.

Try Firefox instead of Edge or Chrome, Brave, etc. That'll take a few more minutes, too, plus installing uBlock Origin in default mode and multi-account containers. Edge is the fastest, though, but you have to accept more privacy intrusion, and Brave the easiest to use as it works out of the box.

Using the latter will take more time but manageable if you remember to use it while accessing sites. That is, take the ones that you think are tracking you (and where you're logged in, for example) and put them in their own containers.

Anything else, like tweaking the desktop, considering a cleaner (the built-in one, letting Windows do so for you using storage sense, trying their own app PC Cleaner, or looking at third parties), etc., can come later given more time and knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom