• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Disgusting GOP effort to defund net neutrality protections

SlevinKelevra

Sage
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...trying-to-defund-net-neutrality-will-it-work/

This week, the Senate Appropriations Committee approved a bill that contains an amendment singling out the FCC and net neutrality. Notably, the rider would prohibit the FCC from using its most powerful regulatory tool to police Internet providers — Title II of the Communications Act.

Companies such as Verizon and Comcast have argued that Title II is too heavy-handed, and could lead to the government directly setting the prices of Internet and phone service.

screw you , idiots and scumbags.
there are a few, but very few, things more important than this.

there are a few, but very few, things more important than this.

I think it is important as well. We need to find a way to prevent government from trying get involved in everything. It won't turn out well. It never has.

Few people will argue with you. Everything possible needs to be done to keep the Government's hands off the Internet. It is way too important. Not everyone in Government is an idiot and scumbag. There are many who will fight to keep the Internet Government free.

"Keep the government out of the internet"

comment from people who don't realize The government was heavily involved in the developing the internet~

What next? Keep the government out of medicare? Jeez. Some people.:roll:

"Keep the government out of the internet"

comment from people who don't realize The government was heavily involved in the developing the internet~

What next? Keep the government out of medicare? Jeez. Some people.:roll:

Some people would know that the Government was heavily vested in developing ARPANET, not the Internet. ARPANET allowed a whole 37 Government and University computers to communicate. It was not until ARPANET was decommissioned and the process was handed over to private enterprise that we had the Internet we all know and love today.

Yes, ARPANET planted the seed, but the Government never let it grow. The private sector took that seed and grew it into what we know today without Government interference. So now the Government wants it back based on the urban myth that they created it, "Jeez" is right.

Some people would know that the Government was heavily vested in developing ARPANET, not the Internet. ARPANET allowed a whole 37 Government and University computers to communicate. It was not until ARPANET was decommissioned and the process was handed over to private enterprise that we had the Internet we all know and love today.

Yes, ARPANET planted the seed, but the Government never let it grow. The private sector took that seed and grew it into what we know today without Government interference. So now the Government wants it back based on the urban myth that they created it, "Jeez" is right.

Putting the most greedy corporations in control instead is insane. They will destroy the internet in pursuit of profits.

Putting the most greedy corporations in control instead is insane. They will destroy the internet in pursuit of profits.
You mean by making it faster and providing a lot more content that people want and are willing to pay for? Bastards.

You mean by making it faster and providing a lot more content that people want and are willing to pay for? Bastards.

LOL Are you so brainwashed that you think corporations care about you?

How would they make profits from something that is destroyed? Wouldn't those greedy folks make more profits from a bigger, faster, more accessible Internet? If by "greedy", you mean a corporation that wants to expand and make more money, then yes, they are the most sane people to put in charge. You may not be aware, but corporations already run the Internet and it is doing fine. It is hardly being destroyed.

Are you brainwashed into believing the Government cares about us? A corporation may not care about me, but they care very much about my money. As in they want it. The only way to get it is to earn it. The Government is not encumbered by customer satisfaction or earning money, they just take it. So which entity has skin in the game and actually cares about our satisfaction with the Internet?

Are you brainwashed into believing the Government cares about us? A corporation may not care about me, but they care very much about my money. As in they want it. The only way to get it is to earn it. The Government is not encumbered by customer satisfaction or earning money, they just take it. So which entity has skin in the game and actually cares about our satisfaction with the Internet?

The care ONLY about your money and don't care how they get it. The Govt. job is to protect us from that sort of mindset.

How would they make profits from something that is destroyed? Wouldn't those greedy folks make more profits from a bigger, faster, more accessible Internet? If by "greedy", you mean a corporation that wants to expand and make more money, then yes, they are the most sane people to put in charge. You may not be aware, but corporations already run the Internet and it is doing fine. It is hardly being destroyed.

The corporations are also under regulations that prevent them from monopolizing and price fixing. That bothers you? That is when capitalism fails, when Govt. allows monopolies to form and turns its back on price fixing.

No, I think they want to provide the things I want so I will give them money in exchange for it.

Are you so incapable of being a responsible adult that you have to have the government give you everything?

The care ONLY about your money and don't care how they get it. The Govt. job is to protect us from that sort of mindset.
Right... Trillions are spent on marketing because they don't care how to keep you coming back with your money. How they get your money, and how to keep getting your money is just about all they care about. On the other hand, the Government has guns and badges, so they can just take what they want with no concern about you at all.

That comment about Government protection is cute.

I did not say "invented". I did say heavily involved in the development. Thanks for actually proving my point. It's much appreciated.

I did not say "invented". I did say heavily involved in the development. Thanks for actually proving my point. It's much appreciated.
I didn't see anyone claim you said invented. In any case you're welcome.

had to laugh regarding your last. Seems almost every day either local,State, or Federal govt wants a new tax or find ways to get more of our money.

One could say that politicians, "ONLY about your money and don't care how they get it":mrgreen:

had to laugh regarding your last. Seems almost every day either local,State, or Federal govt wants a new tax or find ways to get more of our money.

One could say that politicians, "ONLY about your money and don't care how they get it":mrgreen:

What I am laughing about is how well we have protected you youngsters from the realities of unbridled capitalism. You guys don't even know what a monopoly is or how they bleed people dry because "they can". It's cute....stupid but cute.

Don't be ridiculous.

The government doesn't "want it back", any more than they wanted Ma Bell's land lines in the 80's.

No, the government is trying to keep the playing field level, so a company like Verizon doesn't end up "owning the internet".

The internet is unquestionably a public communications facility, and not only that, one that plays a key role in national security.

The internet should not be unregulated. The government needs to ensure access, and it needs to ensure equal access, so you and I don't get kicked off the net whenever Verizon wants some advertising revenue.

No, by monopolizing bandwidth, which is the same reason Ma Bell was broken up in the 80's.

By the way, that breakup was the single best thing that's ever happened to the US economy in my lifetime.

What's funny is the people who think we have an open free market with the internet NOW, and because of that they believe these Corps. are looking out for their best interests. I live in an area that has 100,000's of people, but I only have TWO choices for an ISP.. TWO! The corps have conventionally carved up the neighborhoods and now almost a monopoly.

It can be explained when last year Comcast said they should be allowed to merge with TW because Comcast and TW don't compete with each other now. LOL. How the hell can the #1 and #2 biggest cable providers NOT compete with each other? There's only 1 way, collusion and carving up the areas and neighborhoods so they don't step on each other toes. And these are the type of Corps. and the people running these Corps who some here want to handle and run the internet without government regulation?

What I am laughing about is how well we have protected you youngsters from the realities of unbridled capitalism. You guys don't even know what a monopoly is or how they bleed people dry because "they can". It's cute....stupid but cute.

Why thank you for maybe putting in as a youngster. I am in my mid 60's. How about you? You older than that?

Govt. is not always the solutions, Sometimes the govt is the problem. (taking liberty to RR quote).

It is interesting how you reply back with a comment regarding "monoply", when I pointed out the govt seems to like to take more money through taxes, etc.

Back
Top Bottom