• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Disability for Mental Illness

JRTurner

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Okay everyone! I need your help. I'm doing a paper on the American with Disabilities Act and while I understand we're all very generous with our grace when it comes to folks in wheelchairs or amputees with prosthetics, etc. but I'm hunting for the portion of the ADA that covers mental illness as a disability. Since this is a government regulation on how businesses manage their employees with mental illnesses--such as depression and anxiety--and also know the stigma surrounding mental illness, I figured I'd ask you all.

Do you believe mental illnesses like depression and anxiety are a disability that SHOULD be covered under the ADA? What is your position on this subject? Do you have links you can share?

Thanks so much for your help with my homework :)

What are the benefits of having a disability under ADA

Happy to help as much as I can. My position comes from my own personal experience. I've suffered from depression and anxiety my entire life, but medication and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy have allowed me to move beyond it and live a happy life. I view this as very different from someone who has a physical disability. No medication or counseling is ever going to be able to help someone who is physically disabled move beyond their limitations. So, my vote is that mental illness should not be included under ADA.

Okay everyone! I need your help. I'm doing a paper on the American with Disabilities Act and while I understand we're all very generous with our grace when it comes to folks in wheelchairs or amputees with prosthetics, etc. but I'm hunting for the portion of the ADA that covers mental illness as a disability. Since this is a government regulation on how businesses manage their employees with mental illnesses--such as depression and anxiety--and also know the stigma surrounding mental illness, I figured I'd ask you all.

Do you believe mental illnesses like depression and anxiety are a disability that SHOULD be covered under the ADA? What is your position on this subject? Do you have links you can share?

It is, I've done HR for many years.
ADA, more specifically, the ADAA follow on will cover mental illness or TBI etc.

And I agree with it 100%. Mental illness is no different than any other illness. You should find lots of good stuff at www.shrm.org

An individual with a disability is defined by the ADA as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, a person who has a history or record of such an impairment, or a person who is perceived by others as having such an impairment.

Mental illness it too broad of a factor to quantify, and that's why this will always be a chronic issue, a veritable pandora's box form hell.

Are they disabilities? HELL YES. And they should be covered. The ADA and Government will never admit to or commit to dealing with the enormity of this issue.
:cautious:

Last edited:
Happy to help as much as I can. My position comes from my own personal experience. I've suffered from depression and anxiety my entire life, but medication and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy have allowed me to move beyond it and live a happy life. I view this as very different from someone who has a physical disability. No medication or counseling is ever going to be able to help someone who is physically disabled move beyond their limitations. So, my vote is that mental illness should not be included under ADA.
There are people for whom medication and/or counseling are ineffective or only partially effective.

Some of these people are members of my extended family.

If there was a way to distinguish between genuine cases of mental illness, and fraudulent ones, I would say of course they should be included. The problem is that there is no such way.

If there was a way to distinguish between genuine cases of mental illness, and fraudulent ones, I would say of course they should be included. The problem is that there is no such way.
You're a psychiatrist?

A psychologist?

What kind of mental health expert are you, that equips you to make the determination that there is no way to distinguish between genuine cases of mental illness and fraudulent ones?

You're a psychiatrist?

A psychologist?

What kind of mental health expert are you, that equips you to make the determination that there is no way to distinguish between genuine cases of mental illness and fraudulent ones?
He's none of the above, don't let his stupid posts trigger you. Chill. 🤗

He's none of the above, don't let his stupid posts trigger you. Chill. 🤗
Thanks, I know @Noodlegawd is simply showing his uninformed opinion.

Unfortunately, though, I suspect some more knowledgeable people, who should know better, also have the idea that it's not possible to tell sufferers from malingerers, when it comes to depression and/or anxiety.

That depression and/or anxiety can be debilitating is day-to-day reality for some of us.

Yeah, because no one has ever been diagnosed with a mental illness. What a dumb post.

Thanks, I know @Noodlegawd is simply showing his uninformed opinion.

Unfortunately, though, I suspect some more knowledgeable people, who should know better, also have the idea that it's not possible to tell sufferers from malingerers, when it comes to depression and/or anxiety.

That depression and/or anxiety can be debilitating is day-to-day reality for some of us.

Then inform me. Show me some evidence that most psychiatrists can distinguish between the two.

Yeah, because no one has ever been diagnosed with a mental illness. What a dumb post.

Actually, your response was about as dumb as possible, because it has nothing to do with people faking mental illness.

No shit, that people who seek treatment for genuine mental illnesses are diagnosed with mental illness.

You're a psychiatrist?

A psychologist?

Then inform me. Show me some evidence that most psychiatrists can distinguish between the two.
I don't have to do this.

I asked YOU what are YOUR qualifications for YOUR claim that there is no way to distinguish between genuine cases of mental illness, and fraudulent ones.

So far, you've failed to post your bona fides.

Nor have you even tried to substantiate your statement.

My view is that depression and anxiety at various levels is just part of the human condition. It's normal unless one want to make a big deal about it.

My view is that depression and anxiety at various levels is just part of the human condition. It's normal unless one want to make a big deal about it.
Losing limbs can be considered normal - part of the human condition.

Loss of eyesight can be "part of the human condition".

In fact, what isn't?

Usually, disabilities are permament conditions. I'm not sure about things like depression.

Usually, disabilities are permament conditions. I'm not sure about things like depression.

What makes you believe depression and/or anxiety might not be permanent?

No on broad brush categorizations like benefits for simply saying one "has mental illness".
Yes on diagnosis of one or more SPECIFIC maladies such as schizophrenia, especially forms of it which are noted to be resistant to medication and therapy, or extreme cases of bipolar disorder, again where therapy and medication prove almost worthless, things like that.

But I worry that just casting a broad blanket will lead to systematic organized abuse both by groups of swindlers who seek benefits that don't apply and are undeserving, and by organized business interests who see a broad blanket as a future cash cow. Simply put, a person like a Rick Scott would not be able to resist the temptation of ripping off another billion or two funding broad benefit packages for people who "have a general categorization of mental illness".

In other words, just SAY you have "mental illness" and suddenly the Rick Scotts of the world are reaping windfalls and handing you crumbs.
It has to be a specific set of well defined maladies which are proven to be disabling to a profound degree.

No on broad brush categorizations like benefits for simply saying one "has mental illness".
Yes on diagnosis of one or more SPECIFIC maladies such as schizophrenia, especially forms of it which are noted to be resistant to medication and therapy, or extreme cases of bipolar disorder, again where therapy and medication prove almost worthless, things like that.

But I worry that just casting a broad blanket will lead to systematic organized abuse both by groups of swindlers who seek benefits that don't apply and are undeserving, and by organized business interests who see a broad blanket as a future cash cow. Simply put, a person like a Rick Scott would not be able to resist the temptation of ripping off another billion or two funding broad benefit packages for people who "have a general categorization of mental illness".

In other words, just SAY you have "mental illness" and suddenly the Rick Scotts of the world are reaping windfalls and handing you crumbs.
It has to be a specific set of well defined maladies which are proven to be disabling to a profound degree.
I share your concerns. That said, I do believe that covering debilitating depression and/or anxiety is necessary - and the right thing to do.

Evaluations, diagnoses, and ongoing treatments by professionals. Not a perfect solution by any means, but all we have at this point in time.

(Very good, including a reference to Scott's profiteering.)

Like some back and neck injuries? Like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

Back
Top Bottom