• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Democrats should fear lawfare tactics (1 Viewer)

gbg3

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I think there are some words of wisdom in this short piece and I think it's very sad we've landed where we have.

"Former President Donald Trump is getting dragged through the courts via the “lawfare” charges manufactured against him — and seemingly millions of liberals and Democrats are ecstatic. Chaos, turmoil and pain such as this can feel exhilarating when it’s the other side’s ox being gored.

But what happens if, in but a few short months, it is their ox being gored? Or they themselves?"

"So here’s a crazy idea. Instead of creating a Frankenstein lawfare monster that will surely turn against them, why don’t the Democrats simply try to beat Trump fair and square at the ballot box? "

I think there are some words of wisdom in this short piece and I think it's very sad we've landed where we have.

"Former President Donald Trump is getting dragged through the courts via the “lawfare” charges manufactured against him — and seemingly millions of liberals and Democrats are ecstatic. Chaos, turmoil and pain such as this can feel exhilarating when it’s the other side’s ox being gored.

But what happens if, in but a few short months, it is their ox being gored? Or they themselves?"

"So here’s a crazy idea. Instead of creating a Frankenstein lawfare monster that will surely turn against them, why don’t the Democrats simply try to beat Trump fair and square at the ballot box? "

Warfare means doing war, doing the activities associated with war.
What does lawfare mean?
Seriously. No laws were changed to focus on Trump. Trump is being charged and prosecuted under the law as it's been for years. You lot just have your panties all knotted because it's your Dear Leader the law has been applied to.
Lawfare means the law shouldn't pursue everyone equally. Lawfare means some people shouldn't be troubled by the law.

Last edited:

Why? Democrats, Independents and RINOs have been fearing but also reacting to Donald's and your MAGA lawfare tactics for years now. What's changed that suddenly Donald and yourself pose so much greater a concern? As far as I can tell, he's still a serial grifter and adulterer who takes money from followers, and you're still a rando internet poster whose primary purpose is to make Donald look good. Since the status quo hasn't changed, why should anyone be worried?

When their is evidence that Democrats broke the law they should be prosecuted to the full extent if the law.........just like Trump and Republicans are being prosecuted

Is this lawfare?

No.....

Lawfare is just a made up excuse Republicans use to defend their criminal party.leader.

If the Democrats ever run a presidential candidate as immoral and as criminal as Trump I will fully support the administration in investigating and prosecuting them via the appropriate legal process. As for 'lawfare', why is Trump being tried any different to what the maga house have been trying to do to the Biden family? The key difference seems to be that the Dems prefer to do their 'prosecuting' via the correct legal processes where the judges and juries get to hear all the evidence, while the magas prefer to just publish innuendo and their invented stories while never taking them to a court where they can be challenged and refuted. The guys telling the truth are usually the ones trying to get the case in front of a jury for a full public examination.

The bottom line is that we aren't talking about 'lawfare'. We are talking about Trump being a man of extremely poor morals and a history of criminal/fraudulent/immoral behaviour who is desperate to hide what he has done from the public. If you want to see a 'fair' election, shouldn't the public be given full knowledge of what Trump has been doing and what he is truly like???

Hasn't Trump already threatened that? In fact he is already encouraging the crazies to harass and worse those who are holding him to the law.

Kinda depends on what SCOTUS decides about immunity, right?

And as long as they cant really do much to him legally while he's in office, I dont really care what happens after 🤷

If they couldnt get him on the whole "Hunter's laptop" thing...what else do they have? Again, it's not likely that he can be charged for "acts in official capacity as POTUS," so...not too worried about it.

You people parrot the "lawfare" bullshit for your crooked candidate. You should have picked someone with a cleaner record. This is your (plural) fault.

Here's a crazy idea. Why doesn't Trump just defend himself from the charges and show he isn't guilty?
If Trump is proven guilty of breaking the law, what will you say then?
Bet I know...

It only shows how sad the GOP is that they would resort to it. There is no "lawfare". Trump is not a decent person.

So here's a crazy idea. Don't complain when you have a criminal as your nominee.

Because they know they can't beat him fair and square.

The charges against Donald Trump (most of them) are legit.

That being said, I have wondered if it might have been better, particularly given Biden's age, for Biden to not run for re-election, as a way to remove the perception that he's prosecuting his opponent. There'd still be some who'd think he's rigging the DOJ for his party, but that's an important degree of separation.

Nobody should be above the law. You should ask yourself why the leader of your preferred party has 90-felony charges in 4 separate jurisdictions.

Warfare means doing war, doing the activities associated with war.
What does lawfare mean?
Seriously. No laws were changed to focus on Trump. Trump is being charged and prosecuted under the law as it's been for years. You lot just have your panties all knotted because it's your Dear Leader the law has been applied to.
Lawfare means the law shouldn't pursue everyone equally. Lawfare means some people shouldn't be troubled by the law.

You can find the definition from reputable dictionaries if you search. They all basically give the same definition.

"The word “lawfare” is a portmanteau of “law” and “warfare”. It refers to the weaponisation of law, and of legal systems, in order to intimidate, harm, or delegitimise an opponent (often, a political opponent). In thriving constitutional democracies, judiciaries are often alert to the possibility of powerful political figures deploying lawfare against their rivals, and are quick to turn back such attempts.
However, the conviction of the now former Congress Member of Parliament from Wayanad, Rahul Gandhi, for criminal defamation by a court in Surat, and his subsequent disqualification from the Lok Sabha, represents a disturbing example of the normalisation of lawfare in India."

Here's a crazy idea. Why doesn't Trump just defend himself from the charges and show he isn't guilty?
From where did you get the idea that Trump should show he isn't guilty? That's not how the justice system works.

It's the prosecution's job, their burden to prove Trump's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Because they know they can't beat him fair and square.
I think that concern is the reason they are trying all this. But what a terrible place to go because it's makes it a new norm.

I guess the only thing that won't cement this strategy is if it backfires in a notable way - like with a landslide win of sorts. But in our divided nation, I don't think that will happen. I would imagine, for the time being, all presidential races will end up pretty close. And a pretty close race, even if Trump wins, could just encourage a doubling down of lawfare strategy next time, rather than a backing down from the lawfare tactics.

I want retribution

Reactions: PoS

Right we should let Trump get away with murder because he will murder Democrats if we don't. Great thinking. The charges against Trump have all been waged by Grand Juries after hearing evidence and witness testimony. Should we do away with Grand Juries?

You can find the definition from reputable dictionaries if you search. They all basically give the same definition.

"The word “lawfare” is a portmanteau of “law” and “warfare”. It refers to the weaponisation of law, and of legal systems, in order to intimidate, harm, or delegitimise an opponent (often, a political opponent). In thriving constitutional democracies, judiciaries are often alert to the possibility of powerful political figures deploying lawfare against their rivals, and are quick to turn back such attempts.
However, the conviction of the now former Congress Member of Parliament from Wayanad, Rahul Gandhi, for criminal defamation by a court in Surat, and his subsequent disqualification from the Lok Sabha, represents a disturbing example of the normalisation of lawfare in India."
Since Trump's opponent in the upcoming election is Biden, and Biden is not using any legal tactics to harm his opponent, then by the very definitions you provided, Trump is not the victim of lawfare.

Glad we got that cleared up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom