• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Deep frying options... help me think this through.

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

First off, I don't deep fry at home very often. But, about a year ago I thought I'd like to have the occasional option whenever I was craving something specific, so I bought a small home deep fryer (also works as a steamer, so the instructions say). A couple friends have them and it looked handy, but they use them often. I used it a couple times, and it has been on the shelf ever since.

I also have two cast iron dutch ovens, a 3 qt and a5 qt.

In the interest of reducing clutter, I'm thinking of selling the deep fryer, and using the cast iron dutch ovens for deep frying in the relatively seldom instances I'd want to deep fry. Plus, I was in the doctor's waiting room the other day watching Rachel Ray and she was deep frying on the stove, and it appeared very easy, so that's where I got the idea.

Before I decide, am I missing something? Other than the cast iron on the stove being a little harder to control temperature, I can't think of any downsides. Clean up, it seems, would be the same with either method.

First off, I don't deep fry at home very often. But, about a year ago I thought I'd like to have the occasional option whenever I was craving something specific, so I bought a small home deep fryer (also works as a steamer, so the instructions say). A couple friends have them and it looked handy, but they use them often. I used it a couple times, and it has been on the shelf ever since.

In the interest of reducing clutter, I'm thinking of selling the deep fryer, and using the cast iron dutch ovens for deep frying in the relatively seldom instances I'd want to deep fry. Plus, I was in the doctor's waiting room the other day watching Rachel Ray and she was deep frying on the stove, and it appeared very easy, so that's where I got the idea.

Before I decide, am I missing something? Other than the cast iron on the stove being a little harder to control temperature, I can't think of any downsides. Clean up, it seems, would be the same with either method.

just put it somewhere where it's more out of your way.

We cook a lot and some difficult things.
We tried deep fat and have decided to eat out for fries and fish&chips. Too much smell and hassle.

We cook a lot and some difficult things.
We tried deep fat and have decided to eat out for fries and fish&chips. Too much smell and hassle.
It is a hassle, but I really like wings especially and they're outrageously expensive in restaurants.

Shoot, I'm old enough to remember when stores would practically give away wings because nobody ever wanted them. Now they're the highest priced part of the chicken because everybody wants them.

Have you ever tried using a Wok, they take up much less space, and make more crispy food in my opinion they are also pretty cheap, they range from 15-50 dollars ;).

nonstick-wok.jpg

Wok Skills 101: How to Deep Fry at Home | Serious Eats

Regardless you can fry just fine in a Dutch Oven, you can get rid of your deep fryer, if you want crisper food make sure to keep it moving, also frying in a pan, you have to be careful of splashing grease everywhere, just be careful, and make sure to clean closely afterwards.

When I was growing up all the corner stores had grill and deep fryers- they all used peanut oil, it was cheaper then. Best fries. MMMM goood

Well, the first thing you do is get yourself a big pot full of grease:

Voila, deep frying. ;)

I deep fry on the stove always. It's not any harder than using one of those machines. Get a spider and you'll be fine.

The only downside is that the oil gets all over the kitchen when it gets airborne. That sounds wrong, but it's the best I can come up with to describe what happens. Some of the oil gets vaporized

safety

I don't deep fry, I wouldn't freaking trust myself to have a boiling pot of hot oil on a stove, bubbling away

IF I was going to deep fry, it would have to be a fryer such as you have

two downsides; both resolvable
1. consistent temperature. a good digital thermometer with a LOOOOOONNNNNNG nose would accomplish the same result. but then you are adding a (smaller) device to eliminate a (larger) device; and
2. oil storage/increased oil expense. you will have to either store your used oil in a closed container (a messy proposition, at best), or incur the expense of replacing the cooking oil every time you deep fry

however, if you rarely deep fry, the used oil would have likely turned rancid and unusable by the next use, so you would probably replace oil no more frequently than you are now
the digital thermometer has multiple applications. the deep fryer does not

for me, i would sooner lose my microwave
but i probably cook with the deep fryer 4-5 times a week
gyoza
tempura
fries
onion rings
pronto pups (for you non-texans, that's corn dogs)
deep fried (boneless) chicken [for bone-in i use a cast iron skillet]

to be able to go to the kitchen, turn the dial to the temperature i want and be frying ten minutes later ... that just makes my life so much easier. but then i cook most of what i eat from scratch

If you absolutely must eat fried foods, it is probably better to fry at home where you have control over the what, the how much and the how.
As mentioned by someone else, use a good thermometer. The more accurate the temp, the less likely your food saturates with oil.
Use a good oil
Use a smaller vessel. It uses less oil (you can reuse the oil for other applications within limits) and you fry less of what is bad for you.
Use a splatter screen. They come in all sizes and aren't very expensive. Not only do they prevent a lot of oil splatter around the stove, they also keep hot oil out of your face.
Ideally you cook on a gas stove vs electric. It is much easier to manipulate the temp.

Have you ever tried using a Wok, they take up much less space, and make more crispy food in my opinion they are also pretty cheap, they range from 15-50 dollars ;).

nonstick-wok.jpg

Wok Skills 101: How to Deep Fry at Home | Serious Eats

Regardless you can fry just fine in a Dutch Oven, you can get rid of your deep fryer, if you want crisper food make sure to keep it moving, also frying in a pan, you have to be careful of splashing grease everywhere, just be careful, and make sure to clean closely afterwards.

We use a wok just like that inside and then have a much larger one we use outside when we fry for a group. I like the stove top one when frying, like you said it makes it crispy which is how I prefer it.

We use a wok just like that inside and then have a much larger one we use outside when we fry for a group. I like the stove top one when frying, like you said it makes it crispy which is how I prefer it.

Actually I find frying in cast iron to be superior. Having a big piece of hot iron keeps the oil from cooling too much when you put the food in.

I've got to admit radcen, I like your variety of posts.

Im with you, I don't fry enough to have a device dedicated to it. I also use a Dutch oven. I like those long metal thermometers that clip to the side of the pan often used by candy makers. I typically also use the side burner on my grill to keep the mess outside.

I bought on of those NuWave induction things and they are great for controlled temperature cooking. I just use a small pot used typically for boiling water and put oil in it deep enough to cover whatever I throw in. The NuWave thing is great but you need induction cooking pots and pans-well worth the money.

okay so I just have to add something about deep frying

as a kid growing up there was always a bowl in the fridge of "fat"

every time someone fried something they would empty it into the 'fat' pot

when it was time to deep fry you just dumped it into the pot on the stove, boiled the crap out of it and made your fish and fries in there :shock:

I think I should be dead from that but, none of us were fat and 'food poisoning' was ?

Dutch oven works awesome, but truthfully for most deep dry needs a cast iron pan works wonders. The dutch oven takes a while to heat up, and a dutch oven is best used for cooking on a campfire to make an oven due to how evenly they cook.

For larger amounts yes dutch oven, for smaller get a cast iron skillet. For dedicated fryers stay away, cast iron is the best cooking surface for nearly everything not acid based, like for example tomatoe sauce.

i've always wanted a fry daddy since high school. i haven't bought one, though. too much temptation.

Dutch oven works awesome, but truthfully for most deep dry needs a cast iron pan works wonders. The dutch oven takes a while to heat up, and a dutch oven is best used for cooking on a campfire to make an oven due to how evenly they cook.

For larger amounts yes dutch oven, for smaller get a cast iron skillet. For dedicated fryers stay away, cast iron is the best cooking surface for nearly everything not acid based, like for example tomatoe sauce.
My 3 qt dutch oven is really just a deep frying pan with a lid, so I think I will use that most often.

i've always wanted a fry daddy since high school. i haven't bought one, though. too much temptation.
I resisted for many years. As much as I like fried foods I kept telling myself, "Ehhhhh, I just can't go there."

I have, but I have an electric stove, and all the old Chinese ladies I know tell me to never use one on electric.

It is a goal of mine to get a really cool gas stove, btw, but I'm not there yet.

My 3 qt dutch oven is really just a deep frying pan with a lid, so I think I will use that most often.

I resisted for many years. As much as I like fried foods I kept telling myself, "Ehhhhh, I just can't go there."

Then it is not really a dutch oven? either way cast iron equals win, except spaghetti and tomato sauce.

as an adult, i'm finding that i'm a decent cook, so it would be great to have that option. however, i fear that i would use that option too often. might still do it eventually, though, because i exercise a lot. and because French fries / onion rings.

Back
Top Bottom