• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Creating Terrorists, Why do we continue to do it?

The Rand study is from 2006. Hardly contemporary. In addition, the Huffington Post article author does not publish the entire Rand study, only the portions that tend to support his position minus the typical counterpoints that are inherent in all Rand studies.

Much has happened in both Pakistan (Swat Valley) and Afghanistan since 2006. It's quite disingenuous to apply outdated think tank studies to contemporary political/military realities.

The Rand report I referenced was a 2008 report. In their 2008 report, they reference a study 648 terrorist groups between 1968 and 2006.

July 31, 2008 - "The Rand Corporation, a conservative think-tank originally started by the U.S. Air Force, has produced a new report entitled, "How Terrorist Groups End - Lessons for Countering al Qaida."

I know of no more thorough study of terrorist groups in the world. If you know of a more thorough study, please post a link to it.

The Rand report's conclusion was that our "war on terror" was a failure.

(1) Suspension of the Islamic Shari'ah law and exchanging it with man made civil law. The regime entered into a bloody confrontation with the truthful Ulamah and the righteous youths (we sanctify nobody; Allah sanctify Whom He pleaseth). [/indent]

"The latest and the greatest of these aggressions, incurred by the Muslims since the death of the Prophet (ALLAH'S BLESSING AND SALUTATIONS ON HIM) is the occupation of the land of the two Holy Places.

"The latest and the greatest of these aggressions, incurred by the Muslims since the death of the Prophet (ALLAH'S BLESSING AND SALUTATIONS ON HIM) is the occupation of the land of the two Holy Places.
I originally stated that radical Islamists also attacks us because of our democratic culture. You asked for evidence. I provided evidence including bin Laden's own words as cited in the source you provided yet didn't seem to fully understand and none of which you refuted.

So, I'm not sure what your point is here. And, you did not provide a citation/link.

Last edited:
I originally stated that radical Islamists also attacks us because of our democratic culture. You asked for evidence. I provided evidence including bin Laden's own words as cited in the source you provided yet didn't seem to fully understand and none of which you refuted.

So, I'm not sure what your point is here. And, you did not provide a citation/link.

The point is that our occupation of their holy lands was the "greatest" reason for the terrorist's attacks, just like they stated in their Fatwa.

We brought this on ourselves.

The point is that our occupation of their holy lands was the "greatest" reason for the terrorist's attacks, just like they stated in their Fatwa.

And the point that I and I think others are trying to make is that Al Qaeda would be against the West regardless of our "occupation" of the "holy" land. US military bases in the Middle East may piss them off more and give them some additional recruits but it also makes their job exceptionally harder since it drastically improves our Rapid Deployment and intelligence capabilities as well as our influence over states across the region.

Now, I don't look at Osama bin Laden's fatwas to understand Islamist will and hope the United States government will shape its foreign policy around it. I look at these declarations to understand who our enemy is so we can undermine and annihilate them.

I'm going to go ahead and infer that you think we brought WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and the Gulf War on ourselves as well.

The Rand study is from 2006.

Please notice the date of the press release from the Rand Corp.

FOR RELEASE
Tuesday
July 29, 2008

"U.S. Should Rethink "War On Terrorism" Strategy to Deal with Resurgent Al Qaida

Current U.S. strategy against the terrorist group al Qaida has not been successful in significantly undermining the group's capabilities, according to a new RAND Corporation study issued today.

Al Qaida has been involved in more terrorist attacks since Sept. 11, 2001, than it was during its prior history and the group's attacks since then have spanned an increasingly broader range of targets in Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Africa, according to researchers.

In looking at how other terrorist groups have ended, the RAND study found that most terrorist groups end either because they join the political process, or because local police and intelligence efforts arrest or kill key members. Police and intelligence agencies, rather than the military, should be the tip of the spear against al Qaida in most of the world, and the United States should abandon the use of the phrase "war on terrorism," researchers concluded.

"The United States cannot conduct an effective long-term counterterrorism campaign against al Qaida or other terrorist groups without understanding how terrorist groups end," said Seth Jones, the study's lead author and a political scientist at RAND, a nonprofit research organization. "In most cases, military force isn't the best instrument."
RAND | News Release | U.S. Should Rethink "War On Terrorism" Strategy to Deal with Resurgent Al Qaida

And the point that I and I think others are trying to make is that Al Qaeda would be against the West regardless of our "occupation" of the "holy" land. US military bases in the Middle East may piss them off more and give them some additional recruits but it also makes their job exceptionally harder since it drastically improves our Rapid Deployment and intelligence capabilities as well as our influence over states across the region.

No doubt they would dislike us had we not occupied their holy lands. What I was referring to was the main reason they declared war on us. They even spelled it out for us and still we choose to ignore their stated reasons.

Now, I don't look at Osama bin Laden's fatwas to understand Islamist....

Obviously! And this blind eye mentality is why we are losing the "war on terror!"

Creating Terrorists, Why do we continue to do it?

There must be some mistake...

We elected a Black man, so we're not creating terrorists anymore.

Now, I don't look at Osama bin Laden's fatwas to understand Islamist will and hope the United States government will shape its foreign policy around it. I look at these declarations to understand who our enemy is so we can undermine and annihilate them.

I'm going to go ahead and infer that you think we brought WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and the Gulf War on ourselves as well.

There must be some mistake...

We elected a Black man, so we're not creating terrorists anymore.

Don't have a clue what you mean there, but you did manage to slip a racist remark into our discussion of terrorists.

The far-right will no doubt give you a gold star for that. Congrats! ;)

Uh, your original point was one of motivating factor not degree of consequence.

As such this post here is not germane to the topic at hand. You are making a transparent attempt at changing the subject. I'll assume this is the case because you received far more evidence than you expected when you asked for it and because you cannot refute any of it.

If you want to discuss the degree of consequence of the motivating factors bin Laden employs to justify his violence against us that is a different topic.

Furthermore, you readily accept the word of bin Laden as expressed in his propaganda. You see, as I explained, and which you totally ignored, the fatwa was directed at and specifically crafted for Western consumption. As such it is made to appeal to the emotions of Americans upon grounds he perceives will generate the most approval. An approval which he hopes will then translate into public opposition to American policy which continues to place American forces overseas in Muslim lands.

You would be wise to exercise caution when accepting the word of bin Laden as found in his propaganda so as not to be lured and fall prey to his manipulation.

To the point of "our occupation of their holy lands. . .[being] the "greatest" reason for the terrorist's attacks. . ." If that was really the case a reasonable assumption would be that he would also feature this idea prominently and centrally in his messages to fellow Muslims and jihadist. But, you know what, he does not do that. In his messages to his fellow coreligionists bin Laden and al-Zawahiri focus almost exclusively on justifications based on the religion of Islam.

In other words, if that indeed was the "'greatest' reason," as you claim, then bin Laden and al-Zawahiri would feature it as the greatest reason when attempting to motivate jihadists. But they do not do that. That suggest, as I said, that it is nothing more than propaganda employed to manipulate people like yourself into opposing policies which are detrimental to radical Islamists. I know it fits nicely in with your worldview of 'American the great oppressor and exploiter or foreign peoples,' and so does bin Laden, hence the reason he uses it, but it fails to explain the ultimate basis of bin Laden's opposition to the United States and its allies.

Bin Laden agrees with you.

But you have an interesting thesis. And one you have not provided an argument to support.

Do you also blame the non-affiliated person who passes through the "turf" of a violent street gang for 'bringing it on' when they get accosted and brutally beaten, robbed or murdered simply for venturing into the wrong neighborhood and acting in a manner which the gangsters disapprove of?

But more to the point, your "We brought it on ourselves" idea fails to account for the extensive religious justifications bin Laden and al-Zawahiri uses in attacking us. Justifications that prove that even if Americans were not in the lands bin Laden believes holy we would still be legitimate targets for jihadist violence.

Last edited:
What I was referring to was the main reason they declared war on us. They even spelled it out for us and still we choose to ignore their stated reasons.
Your understanding of their motivations is extremely limited and one sided.

If you actually read what they say to jihadists the main reason for attacking us is because of our Western liberal democratic culture.

You are the one ignoring their stated reasons. Or more precisely you remain ignorant of those stated reasons.

Obviously! And this blind eye mentality is why we are losing the "war on terror!"
Based on what you have said in this thread thus far it is clear you are the one suffering from "this blind eye mentality."

I honestly hope that you would do some research and a great deal of reading so as to better understand the TRUE nature of the threat we face. We cannot prevail in this struggle without a proper understanding of our enemies.

Last edited:
eeddiitt...

Last edited:
No doubt they would dislike us had we not occupied their holy lands. What I was referring to was the main reason they declared war on us. They even spelled it out for us and still we choose to ignore their stated reasons.

Al Qaeda hates us because we exist. They hate Western ideals of secularism, freedom, and tolerance, ideals that spread to the Middle East through globalization and formerly through Imperialism. They hate the US the most simply because the US is the leader of the Free World and the most ardent in its support of secular Arab governments like Kuwait and Turkey.

They would've went to war with the United States regardless of the the First Gulf War, all that did was give them a little more incentive and a couple more talking points. My initial response to that has already been made clear: The US does not bend its foreign policy according to Al Qaeda's agenda.

Now, you still fail to provide a reasonable alternative to war anyway, except implying that doing nothing in the face of terrorist attacks that kill scores of Americans and other Westerners can somehow even be considered.

This proves without doubt that you pick and choose what people write and then distort it to fulfill your agenda. How pathetic. Your credibility just went down the toilet.

Last edited:
The Rand report I referenced was a 2008 report. In their 2008 report, they reference a study 648 terrorist groups between 1968 and 2006.

July 31, 2008 - "The Rand Corporation, a conservative think-tank originally started by the U.S. Air Force, has produced a new report entitled, "How Terrorist Groups End - Lessons for Countering al Qaida."

I know of no more thorough study of terrorist groups in the world. If you know of a more thorough study, please post a link to it.

The Rand report's conclusion was that our "war on terror" was a failure.

If you're trying to figure out how to deal with a well-funded and established multi-national terrorist group, do you think it's particularly useful to look at how other countries dealt with various small terrorist groups in the 60's or 70's?

The RAND study looked at the most common ways that these groups were eliminated. That's not the same thing as the most useful way, which is a distinction you fail to recognize. This study concluded that the most common way terrorist groups were ended was via assimilation into the political process. If anyone believes that that is going to happen with Al Qaida, they're a moron. The next most common way that terrorist groups were ended was through "police and intelligence services either apprehending or killing the key leaders of these groups." Again, because of Al Qaida's transnational reach and location within a failed state and near-autonomous region of Pakistan, it is incredibly unlikely that that approach will be sufficient to truly address the issue.

Once those two alternatives are eliminated, what are we left with? Military force.

As an aside, I'm unsure why you think we should be doing anything about this, considering that you deny that Bin Laden was behind September 11th.

Al Qaeda hates us because we exist. They hate Western ideals of secularism, freedom, and tolerance, ideals that spread to the Middle East through globalization and formerly through Imperialism. They hate the US the most simply because the US is the leader of the Free World and the most ardent in its support of secular Arab governments like Kuwait and Turkey.

They would've went to war with the United States regardless of the the First Gulf War, all that did was give them a little more incentive and a couple more talking points. My initial response to that has already been made clear: The US does not bend its foreign policy according to Al Qaeda's agenda.

I agree, and I think beyond that, globalization has created the sort of self-awareness among people weaned on a supremacist ideology that they aren't really supreme. They produce little intellectual property, lack innovation, and fall behind the west in so many ways that rather than dealing in an introspective way, all that has resulted is a collective rage.

Being reared on a steady diet that one is supreme above all while facing daily proof that one isn't has to take its toll on the collective psyche eventually.

Furthermore, you readily accept the word of bin Laden as expressed in his propaganda.

What a load of horse doody. You ignore their statement of war because it doesn't fit with your world view of our occupation of other countries that never attacked us. You still buy that they just hate freedom!:rofl

I do not elevate Bin Laden and al Qaeda to Godhood as your perspective would require.

We invaded and occupied 2 countries that never attacked us, and that due to the deaths of just 3,000 Americans. Your theory is that our killing a hundred thousand Muslims and occupying their holy lands did not spur them to war. According to you, they only attacked us because of our western civilization.

How is it that our killing of innocent civilians incurs no wrath by the Muslims, yet their killing of innocent civilians does with us?

So your position is that they are above mere mortal passions of revenge???

We cannot prevail in this struggle without a proper understanding of our enemies.

Exactly, that is why our 8 year, 3 trillion dollar war on terror has been a failure as documented by the Rand Corp.

Al Qaeda hates us because we exist. They hate Western ideals of secularism, freedom, and tolerance, ideals that spread to the Middle East through globalization and formerly through Imperialism.

But strangely, our bombing and occupying their countries has no effect on them like normal humans??????? Yeah right! ;)

Now, you still fail to provide a reasonable alternative to war anyway, except implying that doing nothing in the face of terrorist attacks that kill scores of Americans and other Westerners can somehow even be considered.

I concur with the conservative think tank, the Rand Corp in their 2008 report to the Pentagon:

"In looking at how other terrorist groups have ended, the RAND study found that most terrorist groups end either because they join the political process, or because local police and intelligence efforts arrest or kill key members. Police and intelligence agencies, rather than the military, should be the tip of the spear against al Qaida in most of the world, and the United States should abandon the use of the phrase "war on terrorism," researchers concluded."

RAND | News Release | U.S. Should Rethink "War On Terrorism" Strategy to Deal with Resurgent Al Qaida

If you're trying to figure out how to deal with a well-funded and established multi-national terrorist group, do you think it's particularly useful to look at how other countries dealt with various small terrorist groups in the 60's or 70's?

Instead of just guessing what the Rand report stated, you know you might try actually reading it. They did look at al Qaeda, and found that our 8 year war has not diminished their capabilities. That's what is meant by "counter productive" term I used, and the reason the Rand Corp. concluded our war on terror has been a failure.

Don't have a clue what you mean there, but you did manage to slip a racist remark into our discussion of terrorists.

The far-right will no doubt give you a gold star for that. Congrats! ;)

Just reflecting what you lefties were asserting during the election :2wave:

Just reflecting what you lefties were asserting during the election :2wave:

I call BS on that one. Let's see your proof.

I call BS on that one. Let's see your proof.

I'm not wasting my time Google'ing up the world's reaction to Obama's election; the celebrations, the words of support from various world leaders, the Nobel Prize, etc.

Exactly, that is why our 8 year, 3 trillion dollar war on terror has been a failure as documented by the Rand Corp.
You don't even understand the most basic aspects of our enemies, as you have done well to prove in this thread, so saying "exactly" is kind of comical.

We are seeing just how idiotic your law enforcement approach is in handing the Christmas day bomber a lawyer and common civilian rights. He promptly stopped speaking and we gained no intelligence.

I'm not wasting my time Google'ing up the world's reaction to Obama's election; the celebrations, the words of support from various world leaders, the Nobel Prize, etc.

Just as I thought. You just pulled that out of your butt. No one ever made such an asinine statement.

This post of Catawba's is so far off base in its wild baseless accusations.
You ignore their statement of war because it doesn't fit with your world view of our occupation of other countries that never attacked us.
You are making up stuff up. Did you not read my comments? Because what you say here is false as proven by my comments in this thread. Hello???

I have never ignored their statement of war. In point of fact I acknowledged it from the get go.
You still buy that they just hate freedom!
No, in point of fact I don't "buy that they JUST hate our freedom." My comments in this thread and in other threads on this forum prove the exact opposite.

Quit making stuff up. We all know I absolutely thrashed you in this debate and destroyed your one dimensional understanding of this issue, but you don't have to resort to making stuff up and hurling false accusations which are contrary to what I said in this very thread.

Your theory is that our killing a hundred thousand Muslims and occupying their holy lands did not spur them to war. According to you, they only attacked us because of our western civilization.
Nope. I have NEVER said that. This is another falsehood on your part. :lol:

How is it that our killing of innocent civilians incurs no wrath by the Muslims, yet their killing of innocent civilians does with us?

So your position is that they are above mere mortal passions of revenge???
Let me spell it out for you. Read this slowly and for comprehension and quit making things up I never said.

The root of bin Laden's hatred of us is our Western liberal democratic culture. Our presence in Muslim lands and killing of Muslims follows after that. If you would actually read what bin Laden and al-Zawahiri say to jihadists they base all their opposition to us in Islamic religious terms and encourage jihadists to attack us because of our Western liberal democratic culture. That is a fact. They object to our presence in Muslims specifically because we are INFIDELS, a term in traditional Islamic culture that denotes a lower form of human life than a devout Muslim. They object to our presence in the holy lands because we are infidels despoiling their holy lands with our foul and dirty presence.

Back
Top Bottom