• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

College acceptance time

gbg3

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
This is a very exciting time for high school seniors as those heading to college are right in the midst of finding out where their next home will be. I think tomorrow is nearly the culmination of this process with Ivy Day, where all those who applied to any of the 8 Ivy League schools get their answers.

I bet we have a number of forum parents and grandparents excited for their kids and grandkids as this college news comes rolling in this spring. I've got one of my several grandchildren in the midst of this "where to next" process and that generates lots of family excitement.

Anyone else experiencing this fun and exciting family time? Are your kids and grandkids happy with their acceptances and excited about their futures?

Any excellent high school athletes in your families - headed off to college and recruited to college teams due to their outstanding high school sports achievements? That's got to be super cool for those particular students!

Or anyone going to a trade school?

Electrician, Plumber, AC tech, Sheetmetal
Carpenter.

Many openings where you can make a great living.

I was so freaking proud when my daughter showed me her Radford University acceptance letter. I was a 10th dropout myself, but I really pushed learning on my kids. I was doing solo fist bumps out in the garage all night long when nobody was looking. She started out working for her degree in Physical therapy/Sports medicine but switched over to CPA and business management & accounting. She's runs the accounting dept. now days for the largest construction firm in Hampton Roads.

My grandson is finishing up his 2nd year at Radford. (He wanted mom's school) He's doing geology. He loves it.

My nephew is attending Maine Maritime after I talked him out of the Navy. Absolutely loves it.

Like many kids for the past 20 years or so, my two went to community college first to get past the useless "high school part 2" classes for the first 2 years.
It is completely dumb for any student to take prerequisites paying 5 times as much as a community college where 100% of the credits are transferrable.
After that - they were both easily accepted into their chosen university.

This is a very exciting time for high school seniors as those heading to college are right in the midst of finding out where their next home will be. I think tomorrow is nearly the culmination of this process with Ivy Day, where all those who applied to any of the 8 Ivy League schools get their answers.

I bet we have a number of forum parents and grandparents excited for their kids and grandkids as this college news comes rolling in this spring. I've got one of my several grandchildren in the midst of this "where to next" process and that generates lots of family excitement.

Anyone else experiencing this fun and exciting family time? Are your kids and grandkids happy with their acceptances and excited about their futures?

I am sincerely happy this is an exciting time for you. I wish all your grandkids dreams come true .

Good luck to your grandkids. I hope that they get into their preferred schools and have good experiences.

Any excellent high school athletes in your families - headed off to college and recruited to college teams due to their outstanding high school sports achievements? That's got to be super cool for those particular students!

My youngest is already out of college but received on a full athletic scholarship for 4 years. This is very unusual in girl's sports.
She was one of the top 72 players in the country out of high-school with a straight A high school record. She could have gone anywhere, literally. From Ivy and West Point to the D3 around the corner.
She chose a school that she felt was right for her and I have to say, it was perfect for her. Today she has friends in the NBA, MLB, NFL...
She graduated Magna Cum Laude and led her team to the sweet 16 her senior year.
Not only that, she left with $5,000 in the bank by using the monies wisely and saving the stipends.
What memories. 0n national tv, at halftime of one of the biggest men's basketball rivalries in the country being introduced to collect the sponsored school athletic award.
Or after a ncaa national tournament match where they knocked off the Big 10 champion being interviewed on ESPN. Poor kid was so tired she could hardly hold her head up.

Sooooo many memories.

I was so freaking proud when my daughter showed me her Radford University acceptance letter. I was a 10th dropout myself, but I really pushed learning on my kids. I was doing solo fist bumps out in the garage all night long when nobody was looking. She started out working for her degree in Physical therapy/Sports medicine but switched over to CPA and business management & accounting. She's runs the accounting dept. now days for the largest construction firm in Hampton Roads.

My grandson is finishing up his 2nd year at Radford. (He wanted mom's school) He's doing geology. He loves it.

My nephew is attending Maine Maritime after I talked him out of the Navy. Absolutely loves it.
So cool! The pride we feel in these kids and grandkids is just the best. Their accomplishments are amazing. I love how you pushed learning on your kids and how much it paid off!
Many people have favorite age periods in their children's lives. I simply loved those late high school and early college years when I could fully become a peer to my children and they didn't need one bit of parenting anymore. I loved seeing the adults they were so quickly becoming. Now, the same thing is happening with my grandchildren and it's so fun to watch this phase play out.

My youngest is already out of college but received on a full athletic scholarship for 4 years. This is very unusual in girl's sports.
She was one of the top 72 players in the country out of high-school with a straight A high school record. She could have gone anywhere, literally. From Ivy and West Point to the D3 around the corner.
She chose a school that she felt was right for her and I have to say, it was perfect for her. Today she has friends in the NBA, MLB, NFL...
She graduated Magna Cum Laude and led her team to the sweet 16 her senior year.
Not only that, she left with $5,000 in the bank by using the monies wisely and saving the stipends.
What memories. 0n national tv, at halftime of one of the biggest men's basketball rivalries in the country being introduced to collect the sponsored school athletic award.
Or after a ncaa national tournament match where they knocked off the Big 10 champion being interviewed on ESPN. Poor kid was so tired she could hardly hold her head up.

Sooooo many memories.
Oh my gosh, do I ever love this story. So far, none of my kids or grandkids have gone to college on athletic scholarships but there have been a couple for which that would have been such a dream come true - since they were strong high school athletes but just not quite strong enough for any college athletic scholarships. Your daughter was clearly an AMAZING athlete and an excellent student academically!

All my grandchildren are talented at different things and such great kids, but as is sometimes the case, the first children in the families are the strongest academically. Maybe that's because oldest children are the ones where parents had more one on one time with them in those early years.

One of those (oldest in a family) is the one going through the process right now. With 10 college applications out, 5 have come in as a yes but the 5 hardest come in tomorrow and Friday. I wonder if they'll get any sleep tonight. Such an exciting time. And after all this "where will I go to college" excitement, then comes graduation in May and the big August move away from home and into college.

Or anyone going to a trade school?

Electrician, Plumber, AC tech, Sheetmetal
Carpenter.

Many openings where you can make a great living.
I got my first degree from a trade school. It certainly helped me get started!

I have told my oldest kid that I will pay 100% of his tuition but he’s taking his sweet time to decide :(

I hadn't heard of Radford. I just googled and the pictures look like it's a very beautiful school in a lovely area.

I have told my oldest kid that I will pay 100% of his tuition but he’s taking his sweet time to decide :(
That's a VERY nice offer. I had that offer out of high school and started but didn't finish college then. I married and had kids when I was very young. Once I got back to wrapping up college, that offer wasn't on the table anymore. I hope your oldest soon recognizes how lucky they are to have that offer.

Interestingly though, a ton of kids these days seem to be opting to take a gap year. While that's common now, it wasn't so common in the past. One of my grandchildren who will graduate from high school soon but not this year, is talking about maybe considering a gap year.

Congrats!!
I love hearing that.

Back
Top Bottom