• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Brock Turner leaves jail after serving 3 months for sexual assault

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
CNN)-
Former Stanford University swimmer Brock Turner walked out of jail Friday after serving three months of a six-month sentence for sexually assaulting an unconscious woman.

Turner bowed his head as he rushed past a crowd of reporters outside the Santa Clara County jail in San Jose just after 6 a.m. (9 a.m. ET). He didn't say a word before getting into a white SUV awaiting him.

"We don't know who picked him up or where he's going, but we're done with him," Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith told reporters outside the jail. "He should be in prison right now, but he's not in our custody."

The case drew national attention after the victim's wrenching impact statement went viral. The brevity of Turner's sentence triggered outrage against the judge and controversy over how the justice system treats sexual assault survivors.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...-turner-release-jail/index.html?client=safari

Our justice system is a ****ing joke. Hopefully someone has the good sense to kill this ****er on scene the NEXT TIME.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. He definitely got way to lenient of a sentence.

But he's a registered sex offender for life, and he's gonna have to live in shame for what he's done.

And so will his victim. He gave her a life sentence too. We need to stop being soft on these pieces of ****. For the sake of the victim. Let them know our society is behind THEM. Not this arrogant piece of dog ****.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...-turner-release-jail/index.html?client=safari

Our justice system is a ****ing joke. Hopefully someone has the good sense to kill this ****er on scene the NEXT TIME.

He got a light sentence because a probation report done - upon which the sentence is based - recommended a light sentence. The victim had input into the probation report and was apparently at one point fine with the light sentence though she apparently later changed her mind.

And so will his victim. He gave her a life sentence too. We need to stop being soft on these pieces of ****. For the sake of the victim. Let them know our society is behind THEM. Not this arrogant piece of dog ****.

Murder all rapists! That's the ticket!!!!

It probably feels good to type that but really it is just silly even the victim hasn't called for his death.

Emotional maturity matters.

**** that. You are just too scared to admit he deserves a death penalty for what he did. But hey. Maybe rape isn't that bad to you? Never mind psychological toll this takes on the victim. Never mind that she now cannot even trust the justice system to protect her. Never mind that fact that rape is one of the worst crimes a human can commit...let's look at this from the one stand point you clearly don't have the stomach for.

Had someone with a gun caught him in the act and shot him dead. It would have been justified. Period. It isn't my fault you don't have the stomach for justice. How's that for emotional Maturity?

He got a light sentence because a probation report done - upon which the sentence is based - recommended a light sentence. The victim had input into the probation report and was apparently at one point fine with the light sentence though she apparently later changed her mind.

No, he was given a light-sentence because the judge did not exercise the discretion and wisdom expected of a person on the bench.

**** that. You are just too scared to admit he deserves a death penalty for what he did. But hey. Maybe rape isn't that bad to you? Never mind psychological toll this takes on the victim. Never mind that she now cannot even trust the justice system to protect her. Never mind that fact that rape is one of the worst crimes a human can commit...let's look at this from the one stand point you clearly don't have the stomach for.

Had someone with a gun caught him in the act and shot him dead. It would have been justified. Period. It isn't my fault you don't have the stomach for justice. How's that for emotional Maturity?

Lacking.

Also the death penalty is never acceptable buy that is for a different thread....

No, he was given a light-sentence because the judge did not exercise the discretion and wisdom expected of a person on the bench.

Damn right. I hope that judge gets his too.

So are you disputing that the probation report recommended a light a sentence or are you suggesting that the judge should have ignored the probation report and the apparent wishes of the victim?

Lacking.

Also the death penalty is never acceptable buy that is for a different thread....

And there it is. You don't have the stomach for justice. Not my problem. I wonder how you would feel if you had a family member raped by their own father...only to see similar bull**** go on in the trial and watch that poor child have to be sent back to live with that bastard.

Maybe you don't have the stomach because you didn't have a best friend who went down a dark path and raped his ex wife after stalking her?

There is true darkness in this world. And it deserves to be snuffed out in a JUST society. Not my fault you lack the emotional maturity to stomach that idea.

Murder the judge to while we're at it!!!

LOL

Not what I said. But hey. You seem all pro "protect the rapists at the expense of the victims." How do you feel about judges who play favorites with alumni? Maybe extra vacation time? It is that kind of cowardly attitude that has allowed the "rape culture" to persist.

And there it is. You don't have the stomach for justice. Not my problem. I wonder how you would feel if you had a family member raped by their own father...only to see similar bull**** go on in the trial and watch that poor child have to be sent back to live with that bastard.

Maybe you don't have the stomach because you didn't have a best friend who went down a dark path and raped his ex wife after stalking her?

There is true darkness in this world. And it deserves to be snuffed out in a JUST society. Not my fault you lack the emotional maturity to stomach that idea.

why are you best friends with a rapist? Why didn't you shoot him dead? So many questions.

Troubling

So are you disputing that the probation report recommended a light a sentence or are you suggesting that the judge should have ignored the probation report and the apparent wishes of the victim?

Yes. He should have.

1) the victim is emotionally compromised.

2) The probation based their recommendation on recidivism. Not what he actually did. They even ignore the fact that the victim was passed out. So the probation review is compromised because of their reasoning. And I don't blame them. That is pretty much all they have to recommend sentencing.

3) the judge has a moral and ethical obligation to serve society and the victim and recognize those factors. He did not do that. He gave him a sentence equivalent with some much lighter like theft / b and e and so on. How is that acceptable? Rape isn't a crime that just goes away for the victim.

Yes. He should have.

1) the victim is emotionally compromised.

2) The probation based their recommendation on recidivism. Not what he actually did. They even ignore the fact that the victim was passed out. So the probation review is compromised because of their reasoning. And I don't blame them. That is pretty much all they have to recommend sentencing.

3) the judge has a moral and ethical obligation to serve society and the victim and recognize those factors. He did not do that. He gave him a sentence equivalent with some much lighter like theft / b and e and so on. How is that acceptable? Rape isn't a crime that just goes away for the victim.

1 - Do you feel the same about victims who ask for harsh sentences? Or more to the point should the victim's wishes matter at all?

2 - Yes the probation reports looks potential for recidivism because that is a element in incarceration and judges are required to factor it into their decision.

2 - The sentence comports with the law. I'd suggest if you want harsher sexual assault sentences talk to your legislator. Personally I think he deserved much more but given my points above and the fact that the sentence met all the legal requirements I am not going hang the judge over it.

**** that. You are just too scared to admit he deserves a death penalty for what he did.
While I am not the person you addressed: I am not afraid. He does not deserve the death penalty for rape.

There is little doubt that his sentence was too light. Completely leaving aside the issue of the justifiability of the death penalty, the severity of the crime in question does not mean we need to go to the most extreme penalty possible as a form of punishment.

Maybe rape isn't that bad to you?
It's a very serious crime. But its not a capital offense.

Never mind that she now cannot even trust the justice system to protect her.
Justice is not simply about "doing what the victim wants."

More to the point, it is sadly true that she will have emotional issues as a result of this incident. Killing her attacker is not going to make that go away. It might not even improve her mental state.

Had someone with a gun caught him in the act and shot him dead. It would have been justified. Period.
Not necessarily, that depends a great deal on local laws and the situation.

In Turner's case, apparently two students approached him during the attack. He fled, and they apprehended him. They would not be justified using deadly force before they determined what was happening; or when he fled the scene; or while apprehending him, as he was unarmed.

More to the point, justice is not about finding excuses to ignore or skip due process and go straight to killing people. Even if it fails occasionally, and given that we know from the start that no system is perfect: We are much better off with neutral parties and a jury of peers making a determination of guilt and punishment, rather than encouraging vigilantism.

It is also quite evident that you're driven not by a rational approach to the situation, but an emotional reaction of "rape bad, therefore kill rapist." That doesn't sound like a particularly sophisticated or nuanced approach to the problems the Turner case presents.

Judges have a responsibility to ensure that the punishment they mete out is commiserate with the crime. They can consider the wishes of the victim and the know-nothing probation officer but they have a greater obligation to society as a whole. 3 months is not commiserate with the crime and it is not in the best interest of society to unleash an unremorseful rapist who doesn't believe he did anything wrong.

Murder the judge to while we're at it!!!

LOL

There are men out there that have killed or badly hurt a rapist when they walked in on them raping someone they care for and I assure you it's not something people are readily open to prosecuting them for. Plenty of people out there either agree with the OP or understand the mindset.

Judges have a responsibility to ensure that the punishment they mete out is commiserate with the crime. They can consider the wishes of the victim and the know-nothing probation officer but they have a greater obligation to society as a whole. 3 months is not commiserate with the crime and it is not in the best interest of society to unleash an unremorseful rapist who doesn't believe he did anything wrong.

Turner was remorseful fwiw. It's so noted in the probation report.

What is best for society? What factors into "what is best for society"?

The punishment was 6 months. I don't think it's enough but that strictly an emotional reaction and not based on anything factual. I didn't look at the evidence, I didn't see the defendant, I didn't hear the words of the victim or the defendant, I didn't read the probation report and it's assessment of whether or not he's likely to do it again. In short I have absolutely no basis to dispute the sentence other than "well I don't think it's enough."

The judge does this for a living and, again for whatever it's worth, he is well respected and has a good reputation. Maybe he made a mistake here. I'm not in any position to judge that. Neither are you.

There are men out there that have killed or badly hurt a rapist when they walked in on them raping someone they care for and I assure you it's not something people are readily open to prosecuting them for. Plenty of people out there either agree with the OP or understand the mindset.

I fid a quick google search of man murders rapist. No such reportage. Google must be in the tank for rapists.

I fid a quick google search of man murders rapist. No such reportage. Google must be in the tank for rapists.

So you think no one ever stops a rape and kills or hurts the rapist?

They also wouldn't call it murder since it's third party self defense. lol

So you think no one ever stops a rape and kills or hurts the rapist?

They also wouldn't call it murder since it's third party self defense. lol
They did make a documentary on this called "death wish". The guy was brutal vs the rapists.

Back
Top Bottom